wnflyguy
Topic Author

Southwest/Airtran Station Updates.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Just flew thru MKE,SFO,TPA and SEA.
SFO WN has taken over the FL gate and WN handling all ramp work.
SEA FL has moved ticket counter next to WN and FL flights are now worked out of WN gate. B16 with. WN ramp working the flights.
TPA FL moved into the gates next toWN. flights still worked by FL.
MKE due to F9 cutting back WN picking up 3 more gates next there current Ops and FL flights will move next March to the new gates.
Anyone else have news..enjoy wnfg
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Atlwest1

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 pm

MCO moves over in about a week to WN side however international will arrive where it currently does

BWI moves to B gates sometime in firstish part of november, though it will suck for connecting pax from International to domestic.

No news on what gates WN will use in ATL though i imagine it would be the c-gates that can handle the 737

No news quite yet on LAX

Boston apparently will move to WN gate area at some point.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co. or Airt

kcrwflyer

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Quoting Atlwest1 (Reply 1):
MCO moves over in about a week to WN side however international will arrive where it currently does

Is someone over there moving? I didn't think there was any vacancy on that airside?

ChiGB1973

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:50 pm

I was in STL this week. I flew in on FL, Gate E-4 has all the WN signage, line up markers, etc. Not sure where FL was before or if they just changed the gate area?

Clipper136

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:04 pm

FL will relocate gates at MCO on Nov 2nd. WN/FL will have 20 of the 22 gates on Airside 2. They are returning to the gates they had before their last move to Airside 4 where their international ops will remain. B6 move to Airside 1 earlier this year provided the additional gates. WN and FL checkin will remain seperate for now. VX is now at gate 112 leaving one available gate on Airside 2.
You can't beat the Experience.

apodino

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:10 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Thread starter):
MKE due to F9 cutting back WN picking up 3 more gates next there current Ops and FL flights will move next March to the new gates.

This also means that CO is likely to move from E to C into some vacated FL gates to combine with UA there, and that despite previous rumors US is not moving anywhere. DL will end up with E to themselves now.

Boston apparently will move to WN gate area at some point.

Shouldn't be that hard, all that really needs to change is signage on the airport roads to indicate E and not C for Air Tran, since the common use nature of most of E will make it easy to create a temporary FL check in. The bigger question about BOS is still going to be UA/CO going forward.

No news quite yet on LAX

This is the one question mark I have about the that merger. I don't know what FL flights WN will want to keep in LAX, but T1 was maxed out on space prior to the merger, and now you add the FL flights in. US runs PHX, CLT, and PHL from LAX at the moment, and other than PHX, I believe CLT and PHL are monopoly routes for US at the moment with UA having pulled the plug on LAX-PHL, Both flights regularly see A321 equipment. The problem is, it is easier to move US than WN because US' operation does not require as many gates as WN's, especially with LAS going bye-bye for US. The only possible scenario I could see would be for US to move to T2. There are plenty of airlines already in there, but NW shared the terminal for many years with an operation that was about the size if not slightly bigger than what US is operating and would operate. This would also allow VX to grow in LAX with space gained in T3 from FL moving, and US could use the old WorldClub for a new USAirways Club.

That being said though, US moving to help WN is not going to happen easily, and I doubt US will move without a fight, because this will only serve to weaken the PHX hub for US.

Quoting Kcrwflyer (Reply 2):

Is someone over there moving? I didn't think there was any vacancy on that airside?

The only carrier sharing the airside with WN is VX, and since Airside 2 is common use (I believe), moving FL there wouldn't take much.

mke717spotter

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 pm

That's pretty surprising because I think just about everyone assumed that WN would join FL over in C. Right now FL has eight gates so this would mean that the combined carrier would be down a total of five gates combined, but I guess they could probably snatch up a few more vacated by F9. Do you know which gates they're picking up in D?

[Edited 2011-10-21 16:29:05]
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

atrude777

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 3):
I was in STL this week. I flew in on FL, Gate E-4 has all the WN signage, line up markers, etc. Not sure where FL was before or if they just changed the gate area?

Air Tran was at C Concourse before the Tornado hit, then had been relocated to B Concourse, and since moved over to the East Terminal/Terminal 2 since end of June.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 6):

That's pretty surprising because I think just about everyone assumed that WN would join FL over in C. Right now FL has eight gates so this would mean that the combined carrier would be down a total of five gates combined, but I guess they could probably snatch up a few more vacated by F9. Do you know which gates they're picking up in D?

Yeah, I really don't buy this, unless that is a sign that by that time the FL operation will be significantly reduced.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

pilotfox

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:18 am

Im not sure this is true either, although anything is possible. I what I do know is that currently they are adding another screening lane to the C concourse, it should be done by mid next month. The rumor aspect of this is its being done to handle the influx of the SW traffic coming through screening when SW moves over to C.

FL787

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:42 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 8):
Quoting pilotfox (Reply 9):

FWIW, I've heard the same thing that FL is moving into D with F9 and WN. It makes sense when you consider that if they didn't, MKE's biggest and probably best concourse would be the least utilized.

kgaiflyer

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:55 am

No news quite yet on LAX

It's a full house in WN terminal 1.

What gate could FL have?

kgaiflyer

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:07 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 5):
other than PHX, I believe CLT and PHL are monopoly routes for US at the moment

OO is doing LAX-PHX out of terminal 8 on behalf of UA -- largely to benefit UA 's trans-Pacific connection traffic.
--------------------------------------------

The official www.lawa.org map for terminal 2 shows it is already populated by 13 airlines.

I don't see how US (or WN or FL) would fit there.

Cubsrule

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:13 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 5):
and I doubt US will move without a fight, because this will only serve to weaken the PHX hub for US.

I'm not sure I've ever been in Terminal 2, but checkin at Terminal 1 is cramped and the security lines are basically always long. Moving might improve the passenger experience.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jcarv

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:20 am

AirTran moves to SWA gates at BOS on November 1st. The combined operation will occupy gates E1A-E.

kgaiflyer

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:26 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 13):
checkin at Terminal 1 is cramped and the security lines are basically always long.

In addition, someone in another thread had reported that the rats which used to be over in the AE terminal past terminal 8 had moved (been chased?) over to terminal 1.

Doesn't sound like too much fun for rampers either.

usairways85

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:30 am

DL runs lax-phl with a 73g or 319. They began it about a month ago. Also there is no confirmation that UA lax-phl is done or if it's just a seasonal reduction

WDBRR

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Too bad Airtran pulled out of EWR a few years ago,
they would have been in the same A1 concourse,
I am sure they would have kept the service to ATL.
Airtran gave their slots and gates to CO at EWR
in exchange for another city with gates and slots,
not sure which one.

ozark1

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:38 pm

I can't remember. What will happen at DFW? Will Airtran pull out?

atrude777

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 18):
I can't remember. What will happen at DFW? Will Airtran pull out?

Yes, target is around November, last we heard.

FL stopped selling tickets out of DFW months ago, all service will be out of DAL.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

flyiguy

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 17):
Too bad Airtran pulled out of EWR a few years ago,
they would have been in the same A1 concourse,
I am sure they would have kept the service to ATL.
not sure which one.

They gave EWR slots to CO for gates and slots at LGA  
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

pietpaflsun

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:41 pm

What is FL's future in Sarasota SRQ?
Run with the dogs, get the fleas

srbmod

Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:17 pm

No news on what gates WN will use in ATL though i imagine it would be the c-gates that can handle the 737

I think that they would be more likely to operate out of D since the gates FL operates out of there can handle the 73G. Plus with those gates being common use gates, they can use them when they need to and AirTran (and other airlines that use the gates at the end of D South) can use them when WN isn't. If they do operate out of C once they start ATL service, I would venture to guess that that take over several gates on one side of C at either end of the concourse (Say C-17/19/21 or C-4/6/8, assuming those gates can all handle 73Gs).

Quoting atrude777 (Reply 19):
Yes, target is around November, last we heard.

November 21st.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in another thread (or two), but FL is now operating out of the B Gates at LAS, using gate B-22. I'm not sure if their check-in desks have moved to be closer to WN's, and it's still about a month and a half before I'm back out there.

lasmike

Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 22):
I think that they would be more likely to operate out of D since the gates FL operates out of there can handle the 73G. Plus with those gates being common use gates, they can use them when they need to and AirTran (and other airlines that use the gates at the end of D South) can use them when WN isn't. If they do operate out of C once they start ATL service, I would venture to guess that that take over several gates on one side of C at either end of the concourse (Say C-17/19/21 or C-4/6/8, assuming those gates can all handle 73Gs).

As of right now, WN flights are planned to operate on the C concourse.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 22):
I'm sure it's been mentioned in another thread (or two), but FL is now operating out of the B Gates at LAS, using gate B-22. I'm not sure if their check-in desks have moved to be closer to WN's, and it's still about a month and a half before I'm back out there.

The FL ticket counter relocated next to WN's counter a few months ago.
a first class dude in an economy world

laxboeingman

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:34 pm

No news quite yet on LAX

T1 at LAX is full because WN operates so many flights. Will FL move into the current US gates and will US move into T3? US only has three gates, which are almost always used, and FL, to my knowledge, does not have e/q at LAX all of the time.

Thank you for all comments/answers,

laxboeingman
The opinions I post are mine and not of any organization I am affiliated with.

FWAERJ

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:39 pm

No news on IND?

UA recently moved to Concourse A, and the former UA gates on B are next to FL's. And I don't think there's open gates next to WN's gates on B.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

apodino

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 25):

UA recently moved to Concourse A, and the former UA gates on B are next to FL's. And I don't think there's open gates next to WN's gates on B.

With a bit of shuffling, IND will take care of itself. The IND gates are common use, so it wouldn't take much there.

FLL is another one that intrigues me. Although FL and WN are in the same terminal there, they are on separate concourses. One possibility would be to have FL and AY trade places, which would put FL into the WN concourse, and have AY sharing space with VX, CO and Vision.

One thing is for sure, combining FL and WN seems to be a lot easier than trying to combine CO and UA in some places.

atrude777

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 26):

FLL is another one that intrigues me. Although FL and WN are in the same terminal there, they are on separate concourses. One possibility would be to have FL and AY trade places, which would put FL into the WN concourse, and have AY sharing space with VX, CO and Vision.

Though as you pointed out FL is not next to WN, FL already made the move because of the integration back in May.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...d-international-airport-congestion

AirTran Airways will be relocating to Terminal 1, Concourse C at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport from Terminal 3 on May 24, airport officials announced recently.

The move is an effort to better balance traffic in the airport's four terminals and relieve some of the congestion in Terminal 3, officials said.

As long as WN/FL are accessible without going through security again, WN does not care too much, they would prefer of course to be as close as possible. Right now though for FLL, this was the best move, and is already done in FLL.

I am sure there will be a time when they move again, but for now FLL is done. In fact FLL and RDU were the FIRST Airports to move things around due to WN/FL integration.

Alex

apodino

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Quoting atrude777 (Reply 27):

As long as WN/FL are accessible without going through security again, WN does not care too much, they would prefer of course to be as close as possible. Right now though for FLL, this was the best move, and is already done in FLL.

I didn't think B and C were linked on the secure side? Then again, its been a while since I have been to FLL.

elbandgeek

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:05 pm

MDW isn't going to require any gate moving since FL's are right next to WN in A already, but they did move ticket counters recently. F9 and PD moved to the south end and now WN/FL have the entire north half to themselves.

On a sidenote: when I was there last month picking up my sister I noticed CO's counter is still there with all the signage still intact after pulling out 3 years ago. Is UA intending to finally actually get rid of that in the merger process or are they just going to leave it as a memento to CO...then again, they might just be saving the space since they're prepping for their once-every-five-year token return to the airport.  

kgaiflyer

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Quoting laxboeingman (Reply 24):
T1 at LAX is full because WN operates so many flights. Will FL move into the current US gates and will US move into T3? US only has three gates, which are almost always used, and FL, to my knowledge, does not have e/q at LAX all of the time.

My information is that US has 4 gates 6,8,10, and 12 -- odd since I've never seen 12 used by anyone.

And I've only ever arrived / departed 8 and 10. Don't know what the other gates are used for.

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:00 pm

LAX once Alaska moves to T6 30 days later Usairways will move to T3.( WN paying for the Usairways move)
T3 gates will be JetBlue gate 30, Usairways gates 31a,31b,32 and 33a, Virgin America gates 33b,34,35,36,37a,37b,38 and 39.
T1 WN will be moving there ticket counter and skycaps to a the old Usairways counter freeing up some of the traffic jam on the upper road way. WN bagage claim will move to the old Usairways side and the current WN bagage claim will be turned into a INT arrivels,recheck and customs area. Gate 3 will be shut down and moved with a split jetway for INT arrivels will lead down a new customs area giving T1 2 INT gates 1 and 3. The old Usairways club will be opend up to add more seatting for gate 2. the old Usairways offices above the ticket counter will become a 50/50 split for the new WN LAX crew base.
But until then FL will be moving to T1 sometime in NOV or DEC and flights will be at gates 4A and 4B. The FL ticket counter will be at the far end of the current WN counter.
enjoy wnfg 
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Cubsrule

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 31):
T1 WN will be moving there ticket counter and skycaps to a the old Usairways counter freeing up some of the traffic jam on the upper road way

I'm not sure how that solves anything - it just pushes the volume closer to Terminal 2 (though the rental car buses and perhaps some of the other shuttles drop off on the west end of Terminal 1 now anyway, so it'll cut the walk down for some).

atrude777

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:17 pm

the old Usairways offices above the ticket counter will become a 50/50 split for the new WN LAX crew base.

New LAX Crew Base?

Confirmed or Unconfirmed? I heard rumblings of a new Domicile, but LAX wasn't exactly high on the list.

I appreciate some of the stuff you're saying but if you're a WN Employee I'd really impress on keeping some of this information to yourself, if the public hasn't heard yet there's a reason why this information is kept internal.

Alex

QANTAS747-438

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:27 pm

LAX once Alaska moves to T6 30 days later Usairways will move to T3.( WN paying for the Usairways move)

Do you have any source on this??? As of Mon Oct 17, there was a meeting with US with regards to US reducing their presence in T1 to go from 4 gates to 2. That would give WN gates 12 and 10. US currently will operate under 20 flts out of 4 gates while WN will do 115 flts out of 8 gates.

T1 WN will be moving there ticket counter and skycaps to a the old Usairways counter freeing up some of the traffic jam on the upper road way. WN bagage claim will move to the old Usairways side and the current WN bagage claim will be turned into a INT arrivels,recheck and customs area

Uhhh, source???

Gate 3 will be shut down and moved with a split jetway for INT arrivels will lead down a new customs area giving T1 2 INT gates 1 and 3.

It WILL??? Are you aware of LAX's T1 layout? Where would this "split jetway" go, and lead to a new customs area??? Are you sugesting a jetway that cuts across the tarmac over to Gate 1?

new WN LAX crew base.

Any source aside from rumors of a new WN LAX crew base? I have yet to hear anything like that except from the rumors of flight crews.

But until then FL will be moving to T1 sometime in NOV or DEC and flights will be at gates 4A and 4B

Ok... no. Just, NO. 4A is a non-winglet gate (only -500s and -300s). We can't even put our own planes there, and FL uses -700s at LAX, so that part is wrong. 4B is a shared gate with US and we give that gate up to them at 630p every night.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing any of your post. It all seems to be based on rumors and very very little fact or knowledge of WN operations at LAX.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

FWAERJ

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 26):
With a bit of shuffling, IND will take care of itself. The IND gates are common use, so it wouldn't take much there.

Didn't know that IND is all common-use gates now. Then again, they did build a new terminal a few years back, so it would make logical sense to build it in.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

Cubsrule

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 34):
Ok... no. Just, NO. 4A is a non-winglet gate (only -500s and -300s). We can't even put our own planes there, and FL uses -700s at LAX, so that part is wrong.

Sounds like a good 717 gate to me - when cross-fleeting begins (and there are enough 735s at LAX that 4A seems to get pretty good use).

QANTAS747-438

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 36):
Sounds like a good 717 gate to me - when cross-fleeting begins (and there are enough 735s at LAX that 4A seems to get pretty good use).

Yeah, a 717 would be a good fit at 4A. Typically we get about 4 or 5 -500s a day and they're slotted into normal gates. 4A is never used. In fact, management has said not to use it unless absolutely necessary. So if we have a broken plane at the gate or very heavy flow into SFO, then we will but a turnaround there.... if its a -300 or -500!
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

mrskyguy

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Personally, I'd like to see Terminal 1 renovated with a few more options. Coffee, McDonalds.. not bad. But overall it just feels a bit haphazard.. this is especially frustrating for the early departers.

Quoting atrude777 (Reply 33):
I appreciate some of the stuff you're saying but if you're a WN Employee I'd really impress on keeping some of this information to yourself, if the public hasn't heard yet there's a reason why this information is kept internal.

Seconded.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee." -- Gunter's 2nd Law of Air

OzarkD9S

Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Quoting mrskyguy (Reply 38):

Personally, I'd like to see Terminal 1 renovated with a few more options. Coffee, McDonalds.. not bad. But overall it just feels a bit haphazard.. this is especially frustrating for the early departers.

I was just in T-1 last week (from 12pm-2pm) and it is a hot mess. But a functional hot mess, I just don't see space for much more concessions.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

kgaiflyer

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Quoting mrskyguy (Reply 38):

Not even the problem. There are never enough servers, and a line with a 20 minute wait at the McDonalds is not uncommon.

I've walked away rather than miss my flight.

Cubsrule

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 37):
4A is never used. In fact, management has said not to use it unless absolutely necessary.

Interesting - I've used it at least once recently (on 735 RONs). I thought it was "fair game."

cotparampguy

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:59 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 28):

B and C are not linked. To go to one or the other, you must reclear security. I don't know if WN has enough gates on B to fit the FL planes.

FL787

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:02 am

According to Bob Jordan at WN's conference call, WN and FL have consolidated operations at 17 airports. Of those 17, 9 now have WN ramp working FL flights. There were only 31 airports that needed consolidating so there should only be 14 left. I'm almost positive the 17 don't include upcoming transitions so in a few weeks we might be into the single digits.

BWI- FL to move to A/B next month.
BOS- FL to move to E next month.
BUF- Still separate I believe.
MDW- Done.
CMH- Still separate. FL in C, WN in A.
DEN- Done. FL moved to C.
DTW- Still separate at least gate-wise.
FLL- Done. FL moved to the same terminal but different concourse.
RSW- Still separate. I would guess WN will move to B since FL is the bigger airline with more room.
HOU- ?
IND- Still separate. WN will likely move to ex-UA gates.
JAX- Done.
MCI- Done. FL moved to B.
LAS- Done. FL moved to B.
LAX- Still separate.
MKE- Consolidating next month. FL will likely move to D.
MSP- Done.
MSY- Done.
LGA- Still Separate.
MCO- FL will move to Terminal 2 next month. Int'l arrivals will still be in 4.
PHL- ?
PHX- Done.
PIT- Still separate.
RDU- Done.
SAT- Done.
SFO- Done.
SEA- Done.
STL- Done.
TPA- Done.
IAD- Still separate.
PBI- Done.

Seems like LAX is the only problem airport.

QANTAS747-438

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:16 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 41):

Sorry, you are correct. We do use it for terminators (thus originators) every night. I was thinking more operationally and day to day turnarounds. Very often, Dispatch will send us all wingletted planes, so we have to call them up and have them swap an inbound plane from somewhere into LAX to a nonwinglet -300/-500. I hate 4A.

Cubsrule

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:22 am

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 44):
Sorry, you are correct. We do use it for terminators (thus originators) every night.

. . . and come to think of it, I've only used it for an originator, never in the middle of the day. Is it a tow-in for either the 733 or the 735?

And to correct what I said earlier, there's not much difference dimensionally between the 717 and the 733, so it really isn't any better for the 717.

apodino

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:41 am

Quoting cotparampguy (Reply 42):

B and C are not linked. To go to one or the other, you must reclear security. I don't know if WN has enough gates on B to fit the FL planes.

That's what I thought, that is why I mentioned moving AY and FL around. I don't know how many gates AY uses at FLL though. I can't think of another scenario that would work without also involving UA/CO and I doubt they will move either.

laxboeingman

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:23 am

LAX

Thank you very much for the information; it was very helpful. Which airline will be operating internationally, WN, FL, or both? For now, it is interesting that FL will not have a lot of gates, but they do not have a large presence at LAX at any given time, so that would make it okay.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 30):
My information is that US has 4 gates 6,8,10, and 12 -- odd since I've never seen 12 used by anyone.

I guess now that you mention it, they do. However, like you mentioned, it seems that they use only three as that is how many US planes are there at one time.

Thank you for all answers/comments,

laxboeingman
The opinions I post are mine and not of any organization I am affiliated with.

zippyjet

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:34 am

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 17):
not sure which one.

I believe we got more slots at DCA in exchange for CO taking our EWR gate space.

BWI moves to B gates sometime in firstish part of november, though it will suck for connecting pax from International to domestic.

Currently we FL operate out of gates D-3, 5, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29 and utilize D-1 (common use) in a pinch. We've been doing our thing in Concourse D since we initiatied service into BWI 10 years ago.
On 16 Nov 1011 we begin operating out of concourse B odd numbered gates. International flights depart out of our main gates but will continue to arrive in Concourse E most often gates E-4, E-6 and sometimes E-8. Customs is below the E concourse which was built and designed as BWI's International Gateway to the world. It opened in Fall of 1997. Regarding International passengers and for that matter us who handle incoming International flights the answer to these questions have yet to be conveyed to us. Stay tuned for further details. Originally we were supposed to do the move to B concourse Sept. 20, 2011 which obviously is now on schedule for 16 November. Duty managers, and other supervisory personnel have already moved on up to the B side. Their old office space in Concourse D have already been stripped and reconfigured for when DL takes our current space. B concourse is much nicer more with the times, moving sidewalks, HVAC thats more reliable and a better selection of Airport epicurean food du jour. B is connected with the state of the art Concourse A which is SWA life showcase at BWI. Eventually we shall add Concourse C gates to the operation. A tunnel/link is being developed as we speak to connect C to the A/B gates.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:42 pm

First I've worked LAX 3 time in my airline career 2 times with WN.
2nd i'm only passing along what I have been told or heard from people I know around the system.
3rd I post to see what feed back others may have heard about WN plans.
4th No body on A.net has the full inside scoop on what WN plans are unless your in Network planning or GK.
5th I'm a airline nerd just like everyone else on here.
Now for the LAX stuff I was told this by a friend that works at LAX. If and when Usairways is moved out of T1 to T3.
WN has big plans to update T1 move stuff around.
From what I was told gate 3 will be angled into the corner between gates 5 and 1 giving gate 5 room to shift down and making all the gates on that side of T1 737-700/800 capable. Gate 3 jetway from the new J line will run back to the wall to a T one side will be flush with the buliding to the old gate 3A doorway for depatrues and domistic arrivels..the other side will run along the side of the buliding towards gate 1 a hole will be punched thru the wall and an new ramp will lead passangers the escaltor down to new INT baggage claim by gate 1.
If and when Usairways moves ALL the gates on the 4A side of the T1 will shift to the making every gate 737-700/800.
Now it's no secret Usairways dose not want to move. So only time will tell.
Now as for the Crew base LAX from what I have been told LAX in the future will have 20 plus RON making LAX one of the top 5 airports over night crew cost by making it a base WN will save million a year on hotel bill alone.
Now as always this is just what I have heard so belive it or not. feel free to give me your input.
enjoy wnfg 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos