kgaiflyer

Southwest/Airtran Station Updates.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Quoting FL787 (Reply 43):
PHL- ?
IAD- Still separate.

At IAD and PHL, aren't FL and WN already in the same concourse?

cotparampguy

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 46):

G4 only uses one gate on B, so I don't see a real issue moving them. They were on C last year and then were moved to B. I guess they will have to move back or move over to the E concourse at FLL.

yx302

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:34 pm

I highly doubt FL in MKE would move to the D concourse. Although F9 is shrinking there they are retaining all the move able jet-bridges. Vacant areas on D will be 27,28 and 29, which are all constructed for ground boarding. And 30,34,36 and 38 will be vacant but are old fixed position bridges in the corner of the F9 ramp. Those bridges are also the furthest away of any bridge in that terminal to WN. As far as better Terminals remember that C just got renovated and a hammerhead added. If FL leaves C that would leave the newest terminal hardly used even if continental/united moved there.
Do'nt get me wrong id like to see F9 on C and WN/FL on D but F9 also just resigned the contract for D for another 5 years. If WN is bringing FL to D then there gonna need to install bridges. MKE has been an interesting place the last couple of years and i guess anything at this point wouldn't surprise me.
just my .02 cents

usairways85

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:25 am

FL and WN are now both located together at E in PHL. If anything they will give up a few gates since WN has drastically reduced flights.

FL787

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:39 am

MKE- Consolidating next month. FL will likely move to D.

I didn't mean to write next month for MKE. For some reason I lumped MKE together with BOS, BWI, and MCO that are next month. D wouldn't be ready in time if it were next month.

flyiguy

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:14 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 50):
At IAD and PHL, aren't FL and WN already in the same concourse?

WN uses B50 and FL uses B67 so yes in the same consourse but opposite sides. WN is trying to aquire B48 but that can't happen until Open Skies discontinues service from IAD on October 28th.

Just my 0.02
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

bjorn14

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 am

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 18):
I can't remember. What will happen at DFW? Will Airtran pull out?

FL will cease operations at DFW on Nov. 22nd
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Cubsrule

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Quoting yx302 (Reply 52):
As far as better Terminals remember that C just got renovated and a hammerhead added. If FL leaves C that would leave the newest terminal hardly used even if continental/united moved there.

Further, I don't see how it makes sense to have the two largest tenants (read: most taxing on the security checkpoint) in the same concourse. How long has it been since that was the case at MKE?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Quoting laxboeingman (Reply 47):

Ok I sent a email to my friend at LAX it's true for the short term Usairways will be giving 2 gates until Alaska moves.
Also WN future plans for LAX will include Mexico service. But I depending on the code share Volars may move flights to T1 in the future. Enjoy wnfg  
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

DCA-ROCguy

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 48):
On 16 Nov 1011 we begin operating out of concourse B odd numbered gates. International flights depart out of our main gates but will continue to arrive in Concourse E most often gates E-4, E-6 and sometimes E-8.

Zippyjet--thank you very much for the BWI update. Always good to hear from you. I'll be flying FL soon after the move to B and look forward to getting Mayorga coffee while waiting for an FL flight!

A TSA agent I know at BWI confirms your report of adding C and reestablishing the B-C connection. With the recent reports about WN possibly making FL's ATL station more of a big focus station, I'm guessing a lot of connecting volume may get moved to BWI. If that happens, you guys will need space in C.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

zippyjet

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:59 am

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 59):
A TSA agent I know at BWI confirms your report of adding C and reestablishing the B-C connection.

My pleasure always good hearing from you. Things are happening at BWI Our supervisors offices have already taken the plunge and moved to Concourse B. Their old offices are being reconfigured for DL as we speak. Jet Blue has already moved into Concourse D taking gate D-2. Jet Blue used to have their gate in Concorse C. All systems are go for us to make the move on November 16. I just wish we could have done it earlier as originally planned. We were supposed to have made the move September 20. Thanksgiving is only 8 days after we move to Concourse B. Wish us luck for a speedy smooth transition so you all won't have to read a thread about passengers having kittens.  
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

chrisair

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:26 am

If anyone is wondering (and it hasn't been posted already), AirTran has moved from T3 to T4 at PHX. They're parking at C14 which is in the WN zoo.

This is quite a step down, I think. T3 is so much faster and much less crowded when departing. T4 is a royal mess compared to T3.

DCA-ROCguy

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:16 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 60):
All systems are go for us to make the move on November 16. I just wish we could have done it earlier as originally planned. We were supposed to have made the move September 20. Thanksgiving is only 8 days after we move to Concourse B. Wish us luck for a speedy smooth transition so you all won't have to read a thread about passengers having kittens.

Glad to hear preparations are going smoothly! I'll offer prayer for a smooth tansition. I just flew WN this weekend on BWI-STL-BWI. Is that a sixth baggage carousel being built in the WN baggage claim area?

Also, I really like STL's terminal 1, a terrific little facility. Short walks, and lines moved quickly even when the place was hopping during a Sunday dinnertime rush hour. The FL signage is up at (I think) E8.

Jim

kgaiflyer

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 48):
A tunnel/link is being developed as we speak to connect C to the A/B gates.

It's a shame they can't use the old link from the days at BWI when WN used B and C and the -- at the time -- oldie moldy A concourse was under reconstruction.

I fly Star Alliance mostly these days out of D, so I don't see C concourse a lot. But years ago when I was an NWA Platinum, the passageway from B emptied out just above where TSA ends in C. I believe the passageway entrance was drywalled-over so TSA could have some additional sqaure footage.

gizmonc

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:27 pm

Quoting DCA-ROCguy (Reply 62):

You must have been having a dream in STL. WN is in terminal 2 ( former EAST TERMINAL). There are only 2 luggage carousel in Terminal 1 where WN/FL flies out of. FL is at gate E4 not E8. From that post you must have had quite a trip to STL. Why would STL build another luggage casoursel in the cramped baggage area, In TWA heyday it ran 375 flights per day and used 4 of the 6. the OAL's used to remaining two. With AA cutbacks over the years since they merged with TWA. 6 Baggage carousels are not needed in STL.

DCA-ROCguy

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:36 pm

Quoting GizmoNC (Reply 64):
You must have been having a dream in STL. WN is in terminal 2 ( former EAST TERMINAL). There are only 2 luggage carousel in Terminal 1 where WN/FL flies out of. FL is at gate E4 not E8. From that post you must have had quite a trip to STL. Why would STL build another luggage casoursel in the cramped baggage area,

Bad memories are always corrected quickly at A.net.   Yes, I meant STL Terminal 2, the former East Terminal (is it really necesary to shout with all-caps?). The gate I saw with FL signage was not E4 at the east end of the concourse.

I was referring to baggage claim construction at BWI, not STL, sorry if that was not clear. WN currently has five carousels at BWI, and the space next to No. 5. is closed off with sheet-plastic for construction.

Jim

gizmonc

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Each gate in terminal two , shares two gates 4-6, 8-10, 12-14, 16-18, 20 and 22. Customer service gate E4-6 is split. With WN on the gate E6 side and FL on the gate E4 side. Signage at the STL airport is not the best trust me. Down at E-22 there is a E24 sign above that gate with a small arrow pointing straight ahead. At this time gate E24 does not have a jetway.

However most of the passengers that fly out of Gate E22 stop at Customer Service E-20 - E22 and ask where is Gate E22. E22 is clearly on the door but most passengers ask are you boarding when the door down the jetway is closed. Go figure.

But future plans have been rumored to that the building below Gate E24 is being removed with the fall TSA remodeling. TSA will be moved from the ticket counter area and moved to lower level. This way when passengers check in they will no longer have to tug their bags over to TSA, WN and FL agents will tag the bags and put them on the belt behind the ticket counter. TSA has announced that their CTX machines are getting smaller and they can now relocate then to lower leverl terminal two. This has remoured to be starting construction in Nov 2011 but well all know how goverment agencies operates. SLOW However most of the passengers that fly out of Gate E22 stop at Customer Service E-20 - E22 and ask where is Gate E22. E22 is clearly on the door but most passengers ask are you boarding when the door down the jetway is closed. Go figure.

zippyjet

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:36 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 63):
It's a shame they can't use the old link from the days at BWI when WN used B and C and the -- at the time -- oldie moldy A concourse was under reconstruction.

{LOL} Actually "Concourse A" was basically 1 or 2 gates actually at the end of the terminal building which was rebuilt in 1979. UA had those gates. You entered the terminal and to your right was the A gates.

And I call concourse D oldie and moldy. However with our impending departure the State has redone the lighting to brighter and more energy efficient. The MAA may try to do some patch and paint for when DL moves in and maybe to attract more airlines to come to BWI. Concourse D really needs an extreme airport makeover.

QANTAS747-438

RE: Southwest/Airtran Station Updates.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:44 am

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 58):
Also WN future plans for LAX will include Mexico service.

Is that Mexico service on WN metal? If so, when?
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 68):

Mexico service from the west coast with WN metal not until 2014. Next year if and when WN gets all of T1 and they finish the remodle you will see Volaris move into T1 gate 1 and 3 and expand the code share first.
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

chrisair

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 69):
Mexico service from the west coast with WN metal not until 2014. Next year if and when WN gets all of T1 and they finish the remodle you will see Volaris move into T1 gate 1 and 3 and expand the code share first.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no FIS/CBP area in T1. Where are they going to stick that?

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 37):
4A is never used. In fact, management has said not to use it unless absolutely necessary.

Weird. I've used it a bit in the past for all sorts of flights. I think I even was on a -700 out of that gate once. I try and avoid LAX as much as possible on WN, so I haven't been there as much as the last few years.

QANTAS747-438

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 70):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no FIS/CBP area in T1. Where are they going to stick that?

Nope, no customs or anything like that. Gate 1 would be the only possible area for this, as there is no extra space anywhere at the terminal. They could put it on the first floor of Gate 1... there's an OLD area down there that has access to the ramp and some hallway space. Or, they could turn the Gate 1 TSA area into a Customs screening. That's about it.

Quoting chrisair (Reply 70):
Weird. I've used it a bit in the past for all sorts of flights. I think I even was on a -700 out of that gate once. I try and avoid LAX as much as possible on WN, so I haven't been there as much as the last few years.

4A has never been a -700 gate, even when we did use it. Management has asked us not to use it for about 2-3 years now.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

irish

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Tonight is the big move at MCO for Airtran to airside 2 to join Southwest.

zippyjet

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:50 pm

Quoting irish (Reply 72):
Tonight is the big move at MCO for Airtran to airside 2 to join Southwest.

Best of luck my MCO friends. We will be thinking pleasant thoughts for a seamless transition. We do our move 2 weeks from today.

MUWarriors

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:05 am

I am amazed that they would decide to move to the D Concourse at MKE. C is by far my favorite concourse in the airport. It is the cleanest and newest concourse and has plenty of space for the existing AirTran and Southwest operations. What is the reasoning for moving to D, if anyone knows?

jcarv

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:10 am

Tonight is the move also for AirTran at BOS back to their home of years ago. Going to join SWA at Terminal E with combined ops using gates E1A-E.

aklrno

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:15 am

I would really miss the US lounge in T1 at LAX. I never fly US but my AMEX card gets me into their lounge which I use when flying WN. If US does leave I'd like to see someone start a pay by the day lounge there. I think it would be a great business since many people arrive way early at LAX because travel and security delays are so unsure. There are also lots of flyers who could easily afford $25 or so to use the lounge.

zippyjet

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:24 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 73):
Best of luck my MCO friends. We will be thinking pleasant thoughts for a seamless transition. We do our move 2 weeks from today.

And same for you BOS!   

yx302

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:03 am

Quoting MUWarriors (Reply 74):
I am amazed that they would decide to move to the D Concourse at MKE

There not staying on D in MKE, there moving to C. A deal was in the works between F9 and WN for some gate shuffling on D but both parties couldn't agree on the terms. So F9 is stuck with the lease on D and WN will be moving to C. At least that's the latest Ive heard.

mrskyguy

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 39):
I was just in T-1 last week (from 12pm-2pm) and it is a hot mess. But a functional hot mess, I just don't see space for much more concessions.

That's just it.. it's laid out (like much of LAX) in a way that is both bizarre and outdated. It's quite expensive to renovate, so I understand that.. but anyone who has flown through T1 knows it's hit and miss. There's both worse and better out there, but far less of the latter.  
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee." -- Gunter's 2nd Law of Air

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos