Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YXXMIKE
Topic Author

NT Air Crash YVR

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:15 am

http://www.vancouversun.com/Small+pl...rashes+Richmond/5618769/story.html

KA 100 crashed just short of the runway, details still seem sketchy but 2-8 people injured according to the media (not to be trusted).

If anybody has anymore information please let us know!

Hopefully there are survivors...

kamloops

RE: NT Air Crash YVR

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:29 am

A small plane has crashed onto a road in Richmond, B.C., near Vancouver International Airport.

There is no word yet on injuries, but an eyewitness tells CBC News at least six people were pulled alive from the wreckage.

Your News

Share your stories, photos and video of the crash

The aircraft was headed from Vancouver to Kelowna, B.C., with eight people on board, a pilot who works for another airline at the airport said.

The plane turned around shortly after takeoff but did not make it back to the airport, crashing in the 5300-block of No. 2 Road in Richmond, said the pilot, who asked not to be identified.

The plane is a Beechcraft King Air turbo-prop, which has a capacity to carry nine people.

URL: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...10/27/bc-richmond-plane-crash.html

LeftCoaster

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:36 am

Hearing one person dead, 7 taken to hospital (According to CTV Vancouver).

Flight was headed from YVR to Kelowna (YLW) on a charter.

Looks like plane took off, and turned around somewhere near Golden Ears Park to head back to YVR. Crashed just short of RWY 26 Left at YVR.

http://www.helloflight.com/Flight/NTA204%20.cfm?classic=N&forDay=

[Edited 2011-10-27 17:39:00]

RIP to the perosn that perished.

[Edited 2011-10-27 17:41:39]

dlowwa

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:15 am

I was there, missed hitting me by about 90 seconds. Had just driven over the Dinsmore when it hit. Pilots were trapped until the fire was put out. Terrible scene to say the least, but at least it didn't hit any cars on Russ Baker Way. There could have easily been a line up of cars at the light waiting to turn left on to Gilbert, as that's right where it skidded through. Have heard four non-critical and five in critical condition taken to hospital. RIP if indeed one of the pilots didn't make it...

ScarletHarlot

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:31 am

CBC is reporting that everyone survived, though several are in critical condition.
But that was when I ruled the world

YVRLTN

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 am

Seems to be C-GXRX.

Current reports are everyone made it out alive. Richmond is a zoo, all 3 bridges to the airport from Richmond are closed.

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 3):
I was there, missed hitting me by about 90 seconds. Had just driven over the Dinsmore when it hit. Pilots were trapped until the fire was put out. Terrible scene to say the least, but at least it didn't hit any cars on Russ Baker Way. There could have easily been a line up of cars at the light waiting to turn left on to Gilbert, as that's right where it skidded through. Have heard four non-critical and five in critical condition taken to hospital. RIP if indeed one of the pilots didn't make it...

Wow, its always busy along there. Seems like we had a small miracle today. A few seconds earlier and they would have been in the river, not sure that would have been so survivable in a small aircraft like a King Air.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

dlowwa

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:03 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 4):
CBC is reporting that everyone survived, though several are in critical condition.

I saw one of the pilots being taken out, and it was well after the fire had been put out, so they were in there the whole time. He seemed alert and responsive, but I didn't see or hear anything about the second pilot. I can say no bodies were removed from the plane, so at least everyone got to the hospital.

dlowwa

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:19 am

The aftermath...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dana Low

haggisman

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:26 am

Just heard on 1130 CKWX they reported 11 people taken to hospital, 3 critical the rest stable. One of the injured was a pedestrian who was struck by some debris. 9 pax plus crew on the plane, so I'm not sure where the 10th person came from. No fatalities according to the report. The fire and rescue services arrived very quickly and one eyewitness reported that he helped drag some of the pax away from the plane with the help of other witnesses.

Plane apparently took off from YVR and returned after encountering problems after take off. Crashed shortly thereafter.

Will listen for updates

Scotty
e pluribus Scotsman

haggisman

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:02 am

CBC now says 9 taken to hospital, 3 with critical injuries, the rest non life-threatening. CBC has a video of the cleanup in progress :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...10/27/bc-richmond-plane-crash.html

Scotty

[Edited 2011-10-27 21:20:34]
e pluribus Scotsman

YXXMIKE
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:30 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 5):
Seems to be C-GXRX.

Thanks for that update, I used to deal with this aircraft often years ago before it went to NT. It was always very well taken care of, I'm quite curious as to what happened but thank-fully everybody has survived.

Given it turned around near Golden Ears, I'm quite curious as to why it didn't land at any of the airports near by like Pitt Meadows or even YXX.

railker

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:00 am

Good to hear everyone survived, though CBC/Chek Victoria was reporting from witnesses that there was "a stretcher that wasn't being attended to with a tarp over it, so that may be a possibly fatality". Maybe that was the just-in-case stretcher?

F9Animal

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Quoting haggisman (Reply 9):
CBC now says 9 taken to hospital, 3 with critical injuries, the rest non life-threatening. CBC has a video of the cleanup in progress :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...10/27/bc-richmond-plane-crash.html

Scotty

There is video of the crash on that link, before fire crews responded. I just want to say.... WOW! I saw some real heroes in that video. The plane is fully engulfed, and bystanders run right up to the plane, and start pulling people out. I can't imagine the heat from that! Yet, people took every chance of being seriously burnt, or the plane just outright exploding! I seriously commend every person involved in the rescue! Just simply amazing. It gives me goosebumps to see. There are people deserving of medals for that for sure.

I am praying like crazy that everyone recovers from this. I also have to tip my hat to the news station in that link. I wish media was more informative, and factual like these guys are.
I Am A Different Animal!!

teneriffe77

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:02 pm

DaBuzzard

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:32 pm

National Post is now reporting that the pilot did not make it  
Quoting F9Animal (Reply 12):
WOW! I saw some real heroes in that video.

x2 - taking action to aid strangers with little thought to your own safety - heros in my book....

[Edited 2011-10-28 09:34:00]

ScarletHarlot

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 12):
It gives me goosebumps to see. There are people deserving of medals for that for sure.

Absolutely...I'm tearing up.

Quoting DaBuzzard (Reply 14):
National Post is now reporting that the pilot did not make it

Vancouver Sun is too, and they are saying that the copilot is in bad shape, both from burns.
But that was when I ruled the world

threepoint

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 5):
Seems to be C-GXRX.

Really...I used to fly that plane back in Shuswap Air days. But screw the aircraft - here's hoping any injuries are fully recoverable.

[Edited 2011-10-28 10:21:01]
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

threepoint

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Sadly, it appears there is one fatality. Unofficially, one of the pilots.

railker

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Quote:
Two of the passengers who survived a fatal plane crash outside the Vancouver International Airport Thursday say they are grateful to the ordinary citizens who rushed to pull them from the wreckage.

All seven passengers and both crew members of the Beechcraft King Air 100 were taken to hospital after the aircraft struck down on Russ Baker Way in Richmond, colliding with a car before bursting into flames.

One of the pilots died overnight while the second sustained burns to 80 per cent of his body and remains in critical condition, CTV News has learned.
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...8/20111028?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Also I'll join in on the kudos both to the general public for jumping right in to give a helping hand (possibly some BCIT staff, the new Aerospace campus is about a block up the street, saw at least one pic on the TV with someone in a white labcoat in it) and also as a +1 to F9Animal to the local stations like CBC for getting the facts STRAIGHT. No reports of a 737 or Twin Otter crashed, little speculation, stickin' to the facts.

trigged

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Quoting threepoint (Reply 17):

Apparently confirmed, the pilot passed away.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...vancouver-plane-crash-injured.html

WestJet747

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Quoting trigged (Reply 19):
Quoting threepoint (Reply 17):

Apparently confirmed, the pilot passed away.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis....html

It's amazing to see the amount of cooperation among the bystanders in this video. I just wish that instead of screaming "7 passengers!" they were screaming "9 people!"

My condolences to the family of the pilot, and to a speedy recovery for the co-pilot.
Flying refined.

YVRLTN

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:01 am

Quoting YXXMIKE (Reply 10):
I'm quite curious as to why it didn't land at any of the airports near by like Pitt Meadows or even YXX.

From what I heard on News 1130 this evening, it seems Bill Yearwood was saying they got an oil indication light, which would seem to be nothing major, something they could just return to home base for to check out as a precaution.

From what I understand these older aircraft (this one was 41 years old - and to be clear age has NOTHING to do with anything) but that being said these lights coming on are fairly common. One nitpick with the CBC commentary. They likened this to an indication light on the dashboard of your car. However "buggy" an older aircraft may be, in terms of safety its like comparing playing with sparklers to fireworks - it is something dealt with urgently. Pure speculation - but its quite possible that, while not routine, this light was not so "uncommon" that it was deemed necessary to put it down at Pitt Meadows asap. FWIW, I dont think there is an "oil indication light" on a King Air, there is an oil pressure gauge but any light would probably be a fire warning light. If they thought it was "just the electrics playing up again" then it may explain why no emergency was declared. As I say, pure speculation.

This interview with a pax says an engine was leaking, then the gear would not extend, which suggest hydraulics.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...rash-passenger-goodbye-emails.html

I didnt sleep much last night, always unnerving when something like this happens on your doorstep at a junction you use every day and involving an aircraft you see at least on a weekly basis and there are people lying in hospital injured. What did occur to be was that while its a miracle less cars were involved at that time of day at that junction, this was possibly the "best place " to crash.

1) If the 08's were in use they would have been over water - probably a lot further out than threshold due to the extra travel time to circuit. Water egress would be horrible in a King Air with the small cabin and door, particularly for those in the cockpit with no doors or opening windows of their own to open.

2) A few seconds earlier ending up in the Fraser - same as above, but at least easier to find.

3) Anywhere over Richmond city - shudder to think (Navajo near Ikea was very fortunate it did less damage).

4) The fire hall was literally metres away on Russ Baker & Cessna Drive there, plus at least two others on Gilbert & Granville and Bridgeport & Great Canadian within 5 mins + YVR's own equipment.

5) Over the perimeter fence would have taken out all the ILS and lights etc etc, would have majorly buggered up 26L/08R operations for at least a few days, possibly hit Helijet or Millionair ramps on their trajectory.

6) Rural Richmond, while lots of fields, would have taken a longer time for fire crews to get there and probably no good samaritans around - no questions the lives were save because of them. They would have been goners waiting for emergency services, depite their flawless response time & proximity such was the intensity of the fire

Overall, despite the sad passing of the pilot, quite a miracle.

Heres my (rather bright...) photo of GXRX in happier times
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4383552867

czbbflier

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:50 am

Very sad.
Threepoint says it takes him back to Shuswap Air days. I flew to Salmon Arm on Shuswap Air so very likely in this aircraft.

My condolences to the family of the pilot. I wish everyone a speedy recovery.

YVRLTN, I'm sorry you didn't sleep well. I hope you sleep better tonight.

Small question though....

The intersection of Russ Baker Way and Gilbert is 300+ metres south of the approach to 26L. Any idea why that might be?

Brian

YVRLTN

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:31 am

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 22):
The intersection of Russ Baker Way and Gilbert is 300+ metres south of the approach to 26L. Any idea why that might be?

You mean why the intersection is so close to a runway? Not sure what was there first, Dinsmore Bridge or 26L/08R but dont think its unusual.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 21):
Bill Yearwood was saying they got an oil indication light

Update seems to be a full oil leak which they were aware of, and the reason why they returned. The question still remains as to why they thought it was a fairly routine matter and didnt divert to YXX or Pitt Meadows which would have been closer - it would seem they would have made it to either seeing as they almost made it back to YVR bar a few seconds... PT6's dont take kindly to oil leaks and having one run out of oil would result in severe handling difficulties, consistent with eye witness reports of what happened to GXRX. Still speculation on my part however.

czbbflier

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:45 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 23):
You mean why the intersection is so close to a runway? Not sure what was there first, Dinsmore Bridge or 26L/08R but dont think its unusual.

lol. The runway was there waaaaaay earlier.

But no, that is not what I meant. I meant to ask if there was any reason why the aircraft was 300 metres off the flight path. However, after asking this here, my partner said he saw on CBC that wake turbulence might have been the culprit. That could easily explain the 300 metre off-track.

Whiteguy

Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 am

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 24):
But no, that is not what I meant. I meant to ask if there was any reason why the aircraft was 300 metres off the flight path. However, after asking this here, my partner said he saw on CBC that wake turbulence might have been the culprit. That could easily explain the 300 metre off-track.

Doubt wake turbulance was a factor. 26L is quite often used for departures and 26R for arrivals. NT Air usually parks at the south terminal that's why they were landing on 26L.

Viscount724

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:27 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 23):
The intersection of Russ Baker Way and Gilbert is 300 metres south of the approach to 26L. Any idea why that might be?

The runway was there for decades before the bridge which opened in 1969.

YVRLTN

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:29 am

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 25):
Doubt wake turbulance was a factor. 26L is quite often used for departures and 26R for arrivals

That was the Canadian Air Charter Navajo that crashed near Ikea. Previous traffic was a Dash 8, doubt that caused wake turbulence.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 26):
The runway was there for decades before the bridge which opened in 1969.

Thanks, my mom was 9 years old then  
Quoting czbbflier (Reply 24):
That could easily explain the 300 metre off-track.

I think an eyewitness said they they made a distinct roll to the left. If they suddenly had one engine quit without expecting it, that would happen. Either that or they intentionally tried to "land" along the road knowing they wouldnt make the runway.

threepoint

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:57 am

Threepoint says it takes him back to Shuswap Air days. I flew to Salmon Arm on Shuswap Air so very likely in this aircraft.

Shuswap Air also flew a Piper Navajo, so chances are you may have flown aboard that. XRX has been absent from SA for years now (although its owner still lives in the town); the advent of WestJet service to Kelowna in 1996 sadly spelled the death knell for quick, affordable, seamless local service to YVR. After Shuswap Air operations ceased, its owner operated XRX in Haida Gwaii for a while then leased it to NT Air.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos