Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pnd100
Topic Author

Can A Government Set Prices For Foreign Carriers?

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Good Morning Airliners.net, hope all is well. Please help me out.

According to the article, the Government of India has given foreign carriers up until the end of the month to stop charging for a second checked bag on international flights.

http://www.bangaloreaviation.com/201...rs-foreign-airlines-to-shelve.html

I was unaware that any government was able to demand this of foreign carriers. Is there a precedent?

While I understand that a home country can ask their OWN carriers to comply with this type of policy, can they apply it to landing foreign carriers? For example if such a law exists in Canada, it would apply to AC, TS, WS & other Canadian carriers but can it be extended to BA, KL, EK, etc.

What are your thoughts?

blueflyer

RE: Can A Government Set Prices For Foreign Carriers?

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Thread starter):
What are your thoughts?

Governments can generally pass whatever law they want, unless there's a treaty obligation that gets in the way. I'm not aware of any ICAO-level agreement banning a ban on bag fees, so why not?

tayser

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:42 pm

Of course they can. If an international airline wants to fly to another country, it must abide by the rules and regs of that country.

Just like the Aus Government / relevant agencies stipulated that all airlines, domestic and international MUST display the Fare+Tax/Fuel Surcharge total as the advertised fare rather than like how on shop shelves in America prices you see in do not include relevant consumption taxes.

pnd100
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks blueflyer & tayser for clarifying.

I have to plead ignorance here. I did not think this was something that was commonplace.
Government rules about the display of fares in advertising I understand, I was unaware that a foreign government could actually dictate to an airline what items it could actually charge for.

I doubt then that this move will have any effect then. Business as usual to & from India.

LAXintl

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Governments can indeed restrict even the fares airlines charge. Quite common that outside the US and EU that fares and sales must even be approved by a governmental regulatory body.

(p.s. - not too long ago that the US even governed fares, and world bodies like IATA also established approved fares between city-pairs that its members had to comply with).

Viscount724

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Thread starter):
I was unaware that any government was able to demand this of foreign carriers. Is there a precedent?

Yes, Brazil used to (not sure if they still do) require different (more generous) baggage rules for carriers operating to/from Brazil and the US CAB/DOT (forget which) long ago required carriers operating to/from the US to apply the piece system for baggage rather than the weight system.

Many markets aren't yet Open Skies and governments can do whatever they want in terms of regulations.

airbazar

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 3):
I have to plead ignorance here. I did not think this was something that was commonplace.

Brazil does it. I believe they also have some sort of air fare regulation for international routes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos