Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

simplikate
Topic Author

Airlines Upgrade Metal To Handle QF Overflow?

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Wondering if SQ, EK, KE will use A380s to replace 777 to handle overflow in/out of SYD. Wonder if DFW/SYD can be handled by KE with an A380 via Incheon to Sydney. Any other players with slots that can handle larger equipment?

ben175

RE: Airlines Upgrade Metal To Handle QF Overflow?

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:41 pm

It's not just SYD either! Extra capacity will be needed for every QF hub.

FlyCaledonian

Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:59 pm

I wonder if BA will be looking if they can put on additional flights if they can get the crews/aircraft? Given the JSA this would be one way of trying to keep some of the passengers moving, even if it was only BA putting on additional flights to SIN/BKK, to allow the scheduled BA flights to SYD to carry extra passengers.

readytotaxi

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Note:
"Customers wishing to rebook to another carrier in the same class of travel may do so. Qantas will reimburse the difference between the cost of the customer's alternate ticket (in the same class of travel) and the value of their refunded Qantas ticket."

from the Qantas disruptions web site, bet airlines will be rubbing their hands and selling the fully fexible ticket to these people.   

blueflyer

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 2):
I wonder if BA will be looking if they can put on additional flights if they can get the crews/aircraft?

Maybe by the middle of next week, probably not before.

B2468

Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 3):
Note:
"Customers wishing to rebook to another carrier in the same class of travel may do so. Qantas will reimburse the difference between the cost of the customer's alternate ticket (in the same class of travel) and the value of their refunded Qantas ticket."

from the Qantas disruptions web site, bet airlines will be rubbing their hands and selling the fully fexible ticket to these people.

When the say "same class of travel", are they talking about the cabin class (First, Business, Economy), or are they talking about the fare class (C/F,J,Y, and the myriad other fare classes dependent on the fare actually purchased)?

This may be patently obvious and I apologize to the experts here, and I know that each airline has its own system for identifying fare classes, but as someone who is not an airline expert, if I were currently holding a QF ticket for a flight that was cancelled, I'd absolutely want to know their definition of "same class of travel" before I rebooked in order to avoid any legalese shenanigans that might preclude reimbursement.

LAXtoATL

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Quoting B2468 (Reply 5):
When the say "same class of travel", are they talking about the cabin class (First, Business, Economy), or are they talking about the fare class (C/F,J,Y, and the myriad other fare classes dependent on the fare actually purchased)?

Would seemingly have to be class of travel (i.e first, business, economy, etc) as every airline has differing fare classes and associated rules plus most passengers have no idea what a fare class is anyway.

Im sure you are correct that other airlines will be adjusting their inventory (increasing fully flexible fares, decreasing lower les flexible cheaper options). However, not sure it will matter much as most of this will be last minute travel anyway and the full-fare flexible fares are generally the only option anyhow.

toltommy

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:08 pm

There's only so much extra capacity out there. For example if an airline pulls a 747 off a particular route to service a SYD route, what do they replace it with? If it is a smaller aircraft, then do you lose revenue, or was the 747 too big for the original route?

simplikate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 7):

A full 747 or A380 full at full fare prices would seem a better short term play than a 747 or 380 that's not optimized in the given weeks on its original route. Seems some actuaries would be running differentials to validate that move as long as the strike is in play. These will be the highest fares with highest margin. There's lots of 777 traffic to Australia from carriers with plenty of 747 or A380 fleets. Seems opportunistic to shift them e.g. Cathay could use a 747 vs. A330.

PIEAvantiP180

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:44 pm

I wonder if DL will be flying any extra segments. They have plenty of flexibility in their 747 fleet. I wonder if they would be inclined to add a second destination? BNE or MEL maybe?

usairways85

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:51 pm

Quoting PIEAvantiP180 (Reply 9):
I wonder if DL will be flying any extra segments. They have plenty of flexibility in their 747 fleet. I wonder if they would be inclined to add a second destination? BNE or MEL maybe?

With no ground equipment, no GA's, and a number of other road bumps I highly doubt DL is going to serve these new destinations for a short time just to try to pick up some extra paxs

Okie

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:55 pm

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 7):
There's only so much extra capacity out there.

That along with most airlines operating with a lean and mean pilot rosters coming up on the end of the year there maybe some issues with pilots "houring out" for the year.
Not that I do not think that addition flights could be added just that not having extra equipment along with extra pilots with hours it just sort of seems limiting to some extent.

I would guess the short term is going to be up gauging the pricing for the seats that are available.

Okie

boilerla

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 10):
With no ground equipment, no GA's, and a number of other road bumps I highly doubt DL is going to serve these new destinations for a short time just to try to pick up some extra paxs

On the other hand UA does serve those destinations, but I don't think they have any extra capacity. They have one grounded 744 that during the summer flies between SFO and some hubs, but I don't know if it can even do international anymore. It's not been upgraded to the new international configuration.

VC10er

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:57 pm

It could be a great opportunity for United. UA has an awful reputation in Australia as I understand (no I don't have the data to back that up) but our Sydney office certainly thinks UA is just the pits compared to their beloved Qantas. If UA winds up picking up many Qantas First and Business pax who haven't flown UA in many years, they could (maybe) be surprised by United's new F and J products being so much better than UA's old configuration AND if UA's people provide (if they too see the opportunity) great service perhaps "I hate United, they suck" to "I must admit my flight on UA was much better than I thought, and if I had to fly them again, I wouldn't be so bummed as I used to be" would be great word of mouth for the "NEW" United. It's one way to go from "worst to first". Unfortunately nobody on a UA 747 in economy will change their opinion much- unless they like E+.

Well, if I was Smisek I would be all over it. As Rohm Emanual (SP?) said "never miss the opportunity to take an advantage of a good crisis"

I assume UA has no spare 777's in the new configuration to spare to add to the route (if they could make it or do it legally)

PIEAvantiP180

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Quoting usairways85 (Reply 10):

Not an expert on the matter but Virgin Australia handles those destinations and they have a JV with DL, wouldn't they be able to take over all of those duties at these stations. Can someone with more knowledge expand on that. And isn't there another thread where there is a statement by VA saying they are working closely with their partners to try and bring in extra capacity.

SonomaFlyer

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:41 pm

This is catching UA at a bad time tbh. They are switching to their winter schedule over the weekend on many long haul routes and will be rotating the 772ER's over to be reconfig'd etc. The 744 for example is handling SFO to LRH and FRA on single daily flights down from 2x day.

Given airlines have become ruthless in cutting back capacity in slower periods, they may not be able to ramp up. I'm also not sure how well suited UA's Pratt Powered 772ERs are for LAX or SFO to Australia. The GE90 CO 772ER's are fully committed atm.

OOer

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:51 pm

I don't think DL has any spare 747's at the moment. DL is currently operating several military charters around the world as well as increased capacity into CDG for the Air France strike. The DL JFK-CDG flight has already been upgraded from a 767 to a 747.

airbazar

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 6):
Would seemingly have to be class of travel (i.e first, business, economy, etc) as every airline has differing fare classes and associated rules plus most passengers have no idea what a fare class is anyway.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that fare classes are pretty standard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IATA_class_codes

skoker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 17):

Well if they were, then please explain why of DL's fare classes differ and why there is missing letters?: FA YBM HKQ LUT

SonomaFlyer

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:36 pm

QF's OneWorld alliance mates will do what they can to cover but AA ofc has no presence in Australia so the U.S. market will have to be covered by competitors (at least n/s from MEL and SYD to LAX etc).

avi8

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:41 pm

When will QF resume their flights?

SonomaFlyer

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Quoting Avi8 (Reply 20):

When the issues are resolved at the bargaining table or if the Australian courts or Government intervenes.

Springbok747

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:54 pm

bet airlines will be rubbing their hands and selling the fully fexible ticket to these people.

DJ already seem to be taking full advantage of this. I was booked to fly to ADL today..I've been on the phone to QANTAS for over an hour..still on hold, meanwhile..DJ have suddenly increased their fares. One way between MEL and ADL was $109 two days ago..today it is $299.

Greedy a$#@%. Everybody wants money. Hope they all choke on it..especially Qantas's greedy CEO and board-members.

Quoting Avi8 (Reply 20):

No idea. The aircraft have been grounded "indefinitely".

From Qantas: "Due to the significant nature of this disruption and the uncertainty as to how long the grounding will last, we are only able to manage customer bookings on a day-by-day basis."

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/disruptions/global/en

simplikate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Flights between Singapore to Sydney (SQ211 to Sydney and SQ232 from Sydney) and Singapore-Melbourne flights (SQ237 to Melbourne and SQ228 from Melbourne) are on 777-300s. So, with SQs 380 depth and hub at Changi, it would seem they could sweep in and upgrade SQ211, SQ232, SQ237 and SQ 228 from 773 to 388 and Emirates did the same via Dubai ( EK418 ) 773 upgraded to A380 with their A380 depth, then a lot of folks could get to/back from Europe, Asia and North America that are stranded QF pax.

Maybe handle 2 full QF flight loads?

[Edited 2011-10-29 14:12:49]

kiwiandrew

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Quoting boilerla (Reply 12):
On the other hand UA does serve those destinations, but I don't think they have any extra capacity. They have one grounded 744 that during the summer flies between SFO and some hubs, but I don't know if it can even do international anymore. It's not been upgraded to the new international configuration.
Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 22):
DJ already seem to be taking full advantage of this. I was booked to fly to ADL today..I've been on the phone to QANTAS for over an hour..still on hold, meanwhile..DJ have suddenly increased their fares. One way between MEL and ADL was $109 two days ago..today it is $299.

Greedy a$#@%. Everybody wants money. Hope they all choke on it..especially Qantas's greedy CEO and board-members.

I doubt very much that DJ have actually increased their fares, it is more likely that the lower ones have simply all sold out and the prices now reflect what is currently available. Nobody sell their entire inventory at the lowest advertised fare. If you expect fares between MEL and ADL to be available on every seat at $109 then you are actually demanding that DJ lower their fares ... which I guess makes you a greedy passenger.

Viscount724

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:23 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 17):
Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 6):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IATA_class_codes

The IATA codes are standard within broad groupings but that doesn't mean the codes within the groups (e.g. economy discounted) mean the same thing from carrier to carrier. The major alliances have made efforts to align their fare bucket codes. And some carriers don't use all the available codes.

In any case, in these situations it's common for a carrier to accept another carrier's ticket at face value (within the basic class of service, e.g. first, business, economy), meaning they will often bill the original carrier for the value that carrier would have received for the flight coupon(s) in question. In situations like this that probably won't last very long, passengers rerouted to other carriers are windfall revenue for those carriers since they're mainly filling seats that would otherwise be empty.

Where a passenger hadn't yet commenced travel from the point of origin, QF probably won't do anything but refund the original ticket and the passenger than can start over with a new booking on another carrier.

Springbok747

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 24):
I doubt very much that DJ have actually increased their fares, it is more likely that the lower ones have simply all sold out and the prices now reflect what is currently available.

Nope. They have actually increased their fares. Just last night, the lowest fares varied between $109 and $198..depending on the time of the day. This morning..ALL their so-called "saver" fares..irrespective of the time of the day..have become $299.

flash330

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 26):

Supply and demand mate, as unfair as it seems it's how's the business world works

fuffla

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Exactly, those cheaper saver airfares will be selling out insanely fast, so only the higher fare brackets will be available. As Virgin add more flights, cheaper airfares become available again.

Supply and Demand as Flash said. Virgin are doing all they can to help the Australian travelling public.

deconz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:55 pm

Nope. They have actually increased their fares. Just last night, the lowest fares varied between $109 and $198..depending on the time of the day. This morning..ALL their so-called "saver" fares..irrespective of the time of the day..have become $299.

so you know for sure that no one has purchased ANY of the $ 109/$ 198 fares since you looked last night? Come on, get real!!!

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Quoting fuffla (Reply 28):
Virgin are doing all they can to help the Australian travelling public.

And make as much money as posssible !

Quoting simplikate (Thread starter):
Wondering if SQ, EK, KE will use A380s to replace 777 to handle overflow in/out of SYD. Wonder if DFW/SYD can be handled by KE with an A380 via Incheon to Sydney. Any other players with slots that can handle larger equipment?

Airlines have there equipment allotted weeks in advance. They have to scramble like mad when one of their own goes tech.

5MillionMiler

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:19 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 13):

It could be a great opportunity for United. UA has an awful reputation in Australia as I understand (no I don't have the data to back that up) but our Sydney office certainly thinks UA is just the pits compared to their beloved Qantas. If UA winds up picking up many Qantas First and Business pax who haven't flown UA in many years, they could (maybe) be surprised by United's new F and J products being so much better than UA's old configuration AND if UA's people provide (if they too see the opportunity) great service perhaps "I hate United, they suck" to "I must admit my flight on UA was much better than I thought, and if I had to fly them again, I wouldn't be so bummed as I used to be" would be great word of mouth for the "NEW" United. It's one way to go from "worst to first". Unfortunately nobody on a UA 747 in economy will change their opinion much- unless they like E+.

Yes totally agree! Most people still think UA business is the crappy old buckets seats, and now the Business class flat bed on UA is nicer than QF 747 and certainly on par with the QF A380. Qantas economy is exponentially better than UA. I think QF Y class is as nice a Y as you can get (some may be marginally better, but overall it is a nice product and service). F on UA is waaaay better than QF 747 F, and not quite a QF A380 suite (which are very nice) but still a nice way to fly up front. Better than F on SQ's 744s!

deconz

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:24 am

Quoting 5MillionMiler (Reply 31):
Yes totally agree! Most people still think UA business is the crappy old buckets seats, and now the Business class flat bed on UA is nicer than QF 747 and certainly on par with the QF A380. Qantas economy is exponentially better than UA. I think QF Y class is as nice a Y as you can get (some may be marginally better, but overall it is a nice product and service). F on UA is waaaay better than QF 747 F, and not quite a QF A380 suite (which are very nice) but still a nice way to fly up front. Better than F on SQ's 744s!

but such a pity that UA's soft product still falls well sort of the mark ...

5MillionMiler

Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:32 am

Quoting deconz (Reply 32):
but such a pity that UA's soft product still falls well sort of the mark ...

Yes, they got rid of old seats but kept, ehhh, "old" service delivery. Qantas service is better for sure. Australians like friendly smiles, good food and wine/beer. Qantas delivers on that.

nipoel123

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:54 am

Quoting 5MillionMiler (Reply 33):
Qantas delivers on that.

Delivered, for the time being...

smi0006

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:07 am

Quoting PIEAvantiP180 (Reply 14):
Not an expert on the matter but Virgin Australia handles those destinations and they have a JV with DL, wouldn't they be able to take over all of those duties at these stations.

Virgin ground handeling for VA is taken care of by TollDnata in Australia, they handle DL already in Sydney I think. Not realy a huge stretch to see them in MEL, they would be abel to use the VA check-in system fine too. Only issues are related to DL staffing with regards to crew, and engineers. VA use a contractor AMSA not sure if they would be 744 signed off. Could always send a few to MEL for a week or two.

5MillionMiler

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:44 am

Why not use the widebodies resting all day at SYD like BA 744, VS 346?

Looks like Virgin Australia is getting an EY 346 to do MEL-SYD this week.

simplikate
Topic Author

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 30):
Airlines have there equipment allotted weeks in advance. They have to scramble like mad when one of their own goes tech.

Exactly. If they already know how to "scramble" when they are down a plane and will most likely lose money on the replacement, it would seem this process would eagerly be undertaken when there is a plane full of last minute high margin fairs to be had.

Motorhussy

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:08 pm

NZ will be doing their best to help passengers to/from Australia/New Zealand and the US/Canada with their Virgin partner in Australia and UA/AC *alliance partners in North America.

Believe NZ have extra capacity too as sister and brother-in-law ended up on an NZ744 from AKL-SFO after their A330 flight with QF was cancelled to NYC.

Regards
MH

jetfuel

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Qantas back in the air later today. All action terminated

SonomaFlyer

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:22 pm

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 39):
Qantas back in the air later today. All action terminated

Nothing on the news sites yet so "suspended" temporarily or "terminated" permanently with some kind of settlement/mandatory arbitration imposed?

jetfuel

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Fair Work Australia has ordered an immediate termination of all action. There will be a 21 day negotiation period. It may not be all over but Qantas is happy to resume flights

Motorhussy

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 41):
It may not be all over but Qantas is happy to resume flights

QF initiated the lock-out so what's made them happy in the resumption of flights, have unions yielded or made some concession?

rutankrd

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 42):
QF initiated the lock-out so what's made them happy in the resumption of flights, have unions yielded or made some concession?

No Australian arbitration board has ordered a 21 day negotiation period on both sides during which operations MUST resume.

VC10er

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:28 pm

Quoting deconz (Reply 32):

Exactly why I said "if the UA emloyees see an opportunity to ratchet it up a bit and provide the service I know they can"

And spend $5 bucks more a pax on food!

smi0006

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 pm

Any thought if we may see a QF A380 or 744 in JFK to clear some of the back log between LA and JFK whilst they are sitting idle at LAX waiting for the night service back to Aus?

deconz

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:09 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 45):
Any thought if we may see a QF A380 or 744 in JFK to clear some of the back log between LA and JFK whilst they are sitting idle at LAX waiting for the night service back to Aus?

I would expect QF to operate some daylight flights LAX/Oz rather than send the metal to JFK when AA can (and probably has done) the bulk of clearing that particular backlog.

changyou

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:02 am

The amount of pax stranded in Changi(SIN) does not require SQ to launch additional flights to Australia and other ports where QF serve from SIN. But past 2 days all flights to Australia on SQ was chock-a-block. From www.changiairport.com: it shows a QF flight with 4 number codes to SYD this afternoon. That could be an extra flight?

ManekS

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 am

Quoting changyou (Reply 47):

QF is operating 2 extra flights from SIN today - a 744 to SYD and an A333 to PER. In addition, it looks like the flights which only flew the first segment of their trip have started continuing their journey, like QF 32 which left for SYD at 2 pm.

tayser

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:06 pm

Quoting simplikate (Thread starter):
Wondering if SQ, EK, KE will use A380s to replace 777 to handle overflow in/out of SYD.

newsflash to the original poster: the Australian aviation market is a lot bigger than SYD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos