Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLSMB
Topic Author

New Winnipeg Airport Terminal Opened Today

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:27 am

Winnipeg's long awaited, brand new James Armstrong Richardson International Airport terminal building opened it's doors this morning, completely replacing the entire old airport terminal building which is now closed. It looks beautiful - I can't wait to see it for myself. If anyone has pictures please post them! Congratulations Winnipeg on the new Airport. Oh, and the new hockey team too  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-airport-terminal-opening.html

Some interesting facts about the airport :

-It's the only one in Canada with a common bag drop area. It doesn't matter where you're travelling, within Canada to the U.S. or around the world, once you put your suitcase on the seven-kilometre-long belt, technology will ensure it's dropped off at the right spot and will meet you at your destination.

-It's the first in the country to use a "curtain wall" ventilation system that pumps out warm or cool air, depending on the season, but only at the height of passengers. The air far above their heads, for example, will not be affected, making for significantly lower operating costs.

-It's the second airport in Canada with glass passenger boarding bridges. (Vancouver was the first.)

-It is also accessible for travellers with a variety of challenges. For example, the carpet in walking areas is broken up by tiling in front of washrooms to help blind people get their bearings. There are no outer doors on the washrooms, and the information screens for departing and arriving aircraft have been brought down to about a metre off the floor.

-Two other elements aren't groundbreaking but they'll surely be appreciated by local travellers: an upper level roadway for departing passengers will eliminate congestion with arriving passengers and free Wi-Fi will be available for all laptop and tablet users.

Flighty

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:33 am

Hope it has a good furnace. Just kidding, nice terminal.

canadianpylon

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:41 am

Was there as part of the trials about 6 weeks ago... Looked stunning to say the least!

One of the new design concepts incorporated into the new terminal is that the service vehicles and such now access the planes from the front, not the back. All of the baggage handlers/fuel truck etc come from the front, and there is no need for trucks to go behind the planes. It makes for a longer jetway walk from the terminal, but the glass jetways give you something to look out at while you are doing it.

I made a video from some pics of the new terminal from the Trial... I haven't been back since though.

Passenger Trial Pictures from James A. Richardson Airport

mel

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:06 am

Here are my pics from this morning... as I was heading out east. It really is beautiful, and is an enormous improvement from the structure it replaces.

http://www.contrailsphotography.com/extraywg.html

trintocan

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:35 am

Congratulations Winnipeg! The new terminal looks fabulous from those pictures. Hopefully I can get to see it soon. Definitely a great introduction to the city.

Trintocan.

chrisair

Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:31 am

Along with a good furnace, did they put Global Entry kiosks down in the US Pre-Clearance area?

[Edited 2011-10-31 02:31:44]

ZBA2CGX

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:06 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 5):
Along with a good furnace, did they put Global Entry kiosks down in the US Pre-Clearance area?

They are probably NEXUS kiosks. I believe the Global Entry are only at US airports, I haven't seen one at either YYZ or YUL.

tayser

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:24 pm

'Peg-tastic.

looks great

Airontario

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:58 pm

Quoting ZBA2CGX (Reply 6):
They are probably NEXUS kiosks. I believe the Global Entry are only at US airports, I haven't seen one at either YYZ or YUL.

They have them at T1 in YYZ. About 5 Nexus kiosks and 2 Global Entry kiosks. I've also seen them at YOW.

I'm looking forward to visiting the new YWG. The old terminal was the worst in all of Canada, and from pictures the new terminal looks like it could be among the best.

mogandoCI

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:09 pm

congrats to Winnipeg, but shouldn't the title be changed ? The current one implies an entirely new airport opened.

chrisair

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Quoting ZBA2CGX (Reply 6):
I believe the Global Entry are only at US airports, I haven't seen one at either YYZ or YUL.

There's one in T3 at YYZ and a few up at YVR. Supposedly all the Canadian pre-clearance airports will get them at some point in time.

simairlinenet

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:11 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 10):
There's one in T3 at YYZ and a few up at YVR.

YVR NEXUS and Global Entry were down a few weeks ago--not sure if that was a one-off of a recurring phenomenon.

jamincan

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:42 pm

Are only some of the jet bridges glass? Because MEL's photos all seem to show the standard jet bridges we are all familiar with.

The new terminal is a fantastic upgrade from the old. I had the opportunity to see it when I flew recently through Winnipeg and look forward to visiting it in the future. Nevertheless, the old terminal was classy in its own way. Unfortunately neglect, poorly down renovations and age have worn away most of its charm, but it was a beautiful terminal in its day. I'll be said when it is finally demolished.

b741

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:58 pm

I will miss the old nostalgic terminal once demo'd. One good thing is that they are keeping the original control tower!

canadianpylon

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:46 am

Quoting jamincan (Reply 12):
Are only some of the jet bridges glass? Because MEL's photos all seem to show the standard jet bridges we are all familiar with.

All of the new bridges are glass. There is one shot that looks across the tarmac to the old terminal, and it has the old air bridges.

Congrats MEL on some FANTASTIC photos!

YXD172

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:00 am

Quoting jamincan (Reply 12):

I see what you're saying, but it just looks like all of the jet bridges are actually half glass, half metal. The half closest to the terminal is glass, the half that attaches to the plane is metal. It's a pretty common set-up, I'm not sure how many airports run glass all the way to the plane.

This photo shows it pretty well:

http://www.contrailsphotography.com/.../extra/airports1/ywg/ywg471024.jpg

jamincan

RE: New Winnipeg Airport Terminal Opened Today

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:29 pm

The only airport in Canada I know of which has glass all the way to the plane is YVR.

CXH

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Quoting jamincan (Reply 16):
The only airport in Canada I know of which has glass all the way to the plane is YVR.

Unfortunately YVR only has a handful of glass jetways. Most of the jetways are the conventional type.

scrubbsywg

Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:49 am

Quoting KLSMB (Thread starter):
an upper level roadway for departing passengers will eliminate congestion with arriving passengers

Was this really ever a problem here?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos