SonomaFlyer

RE: LO016 EWR-WAW Emergency

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:48 am

The insurance adjusters will be working overtime on this one. The pics taken by the spotters were absolutely fantastic. Kudos to them and of course to the pilots whose skill prevented a tragedy.

N405MX

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:48 am

Great Job by the crew, thank God there were no casualties to report.

Saludos
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

Oroka

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:50 am

Bravo to the pilot! That would classify as a landing to me, just no gear! Smooth, couldnt ask for a better outcome!

skygirl1990

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:05 am

Great Job by both the pilots!

They really took the saying - "Any landing is a good landing. Any landing you can walk away from is a great landing" to heart!!

ykaops

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:50 am

One hell of a job .. unbelievable how little visual damage there is.

L410Turbolet

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:50 am

Quoting Delta777Jet (Reply 122):
I think to early to praise the pilot's totally and may be if they would have decided not to carry on with center hyd inop over the atlantic they would have 8 hour's of possible troubleshooting over U.S. airspace and a safe landing, rather than to find out on arrival that the gear doesn't work with just 80 minutes fuel left ?

... or perhaps they should have just simply log on a.net and gather 8 hours of pure wisdom on how to handsle the situation from resident armchair know-it-alls.  

prebennorholm

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:17 am

Quoting na (Reply 149):
Most likely this plane is repairable, technically. But you have to consider the 767s age. 15 years old, it has flown roughly 2/3 of its projected life. If they can repair it for 10-15 million Euros, fine, but double that sum wont be worth it. Engines will be heavily damaged, the belly ripped open for most of its length and the wings probably bend. A insurance write-off is quite likely I would say.

I tend to agree with you - a very likely write-off.

The fuselage is obviously very badly damaged, especially in the back end of the pressurized hull. But what about the center wing box? And the main landing gear?

The engine nacelles are bent badly upwards since the plane actually landed on the engines. That has put en enormous non-standard stress on the wing main spar. Has the spar been twisted? Or has it been exposed to so much stress that it could develop cracks after a few thousand flight hours more?

Even if it looks pretty nice sitting on the WAW runway, then it may be only a good tail and nose wheel assembly, while the rest is junk.

Another subject: If it is correct that they suffered a hydraulic problem half an hour into the flight, and company HQ advised them to continue, then I am not sure that I would like to wear the pants of neither the captain nor one HQ official in the coming days. Even if the plane was fully controllable, then so much had been eaten into redundancies that it must be considered very bad practice to put such a crippled plane on a tour across the ocean.

Today the captain can take a bath in the glory for the very smooth landing. But his halo might dim to darker than coal in the coming days, if the investigators judge ETOPS rules to have been badly violated.

Maybe it will be very "interesting" to read the final report one day? Maybe!
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

BreninTW

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:32 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 157):
Another subject: If it is correct that they suffered a hydraulic problem half an hour into the flight, and company HQ advised them to continue

I think it depends on the nature of the indication they got. If they got a "low hydraulic pressure" indication rather than a "the hydraulic system INOP" warning it might make sense to consider completing the flight.

We don't know what was being flagged up in the cockpit -- we're relying on second-hand translations of a company official's comments to the press -- comments which are probably being editorialized. Let's wait for the incident report before we hang anyone out to dry, or put them on a pedestal as a hero.

I will say this, regardless of how good, or bad, the decisions were, those pilots flew the aircraft damn well and put it down on the ground with a huge amount of skill. They were handed a pretty poor deck of cards and they played them. It doesn't matter if they were landing in WAW or EWR it was exceptional flying to get this aircraft on the ground without injuries.

Now, I'm not a pilot and I'm not in any way familiar with the 767 other than having flown it a few times as a passenger -- I don't know what indicators and warnings may, or may not, appear in the cockpit, so I will defer to the experts on those: The people that build the aircraft and the people that fly them.

fpetrutiu

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:39 am

Great landing!!!! Amaizing skill on the pilot's part. I really liked how they pulled up at the last minute to make sure the tail skid touches first and easing it down onto the engines, keeping a nose up attitude all the way. If the engines would have touched first, could have turned out very ugly (pushing the nose into the ground)...

Now on to my favourite Polish food... www.bestpolishrecipes.com... Yum...
Florin
Orlando, FL

c680

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:43 am

Quoting na (Reply 149):
A insurance write-off is quite likely I would say.
Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 157):
a very likely write-off.

Based on some photographs and a video or two?

A bit fast to pass judgment, no?
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

windowflyer

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:02 am

What can I say? You folks said it all.
Any chance of flying LOT JFK - POS 4 XMAS again?  
Really appreciating the spotters excellent work here.
A-300,319,320,321,330,340,380. B-727,737,747,757,767,777,787. L-1011,DC8,DC9,MD80,CRJ,Dash-8,YS-11,HS-748,Concorde

CXfirst

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:14 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 147):
Wouldn't it be wiser to circle over EWR for.. 6 hours?

From a passenger perspective, it would be better if the flight continued as normal, and then be told just before landing (with enough time to go through procedures).

Otherwise,

Quoting HELyes (Reply 148):
. People around him were crying and praying when they prepared for the emergency landing.

This panic would be experienced for 6+ hours.

If they could cross the Atlantic with no problems, then they did the right thing. If there was any real danger in the crossing, then I'll admit circling EWR would be better, but with a fuel dump and emergency landing as quickly as possible, even if it was in darkness.

Anyway. from how the situation looks at present, I must say well done to the pilots. Smooth landing, with no injuries, in a situation every passenger fears.

-CXfirst

-CXfirst

airtechy

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:17 am

Really hard to tell from the posted pics, but it looks like only maybe 15-20 feet of the fuselage behind the wings contacted the runway. I'm sure the engines will be a write off. We are talking about a very light aircraft with almost no fuel so the force on the pylons may not have damaged them.

Hard to tell because of the value of the depreciated airframe if it will be repaired. For sure Boeing has repaired airframes in a lot worse condition then this one!

Jim

crjfixer

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:18 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 146):
Every document / emergency procedure I've ever seen calls for landing with as many gear as are available. Not purposely retracting the other gear if only one is not extending.

Going from memory here from 1973 - one NATOPS manual for a high winged jet (A-3 Skywarrior) said each gear down helps minimize the chance of a ruptured fuel tank.

Im not sure about the 767 but im pretty sure that if 1 main gear is stuck up, the manuals all say to keep all gear up. This would be to avoid cartwheeling the a/c when landing. If its just the nose gear that failed then you would keep the mains down and drag the nose.

Pyrex

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:01 am

Quoting Babybus (Reply 84):
That must have been truely scary for everyone involved.

Hey, I have flown LOT's 767s in NYC-WAW recently (in business class, no less). A little crash landing is as much as you can hope for in terms of in-flight entertainment...   

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 133):
The PIA 742 below belly-landed at ISB in 1986 (crew forgot to lower the gear).

Ouch... what a mistake to make! Aren't there supposed to be any alarms for that?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

eisenbach

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:03 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 161):
From a passenger perspective, it would be better if the flight continued as normal, and then be told just before landing (with enough time to go through procedures).

I agree - This year I was on a Malaysian flight from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok on a B738. During climb the pilot told us, that there were problems when retracting the gear and they hope that everything is fine and will keep us informed.

So I saw during the whole flight doubtful and anxious passengers. When descending and landing we were not informed anymore, but I heard the gear coming down and locking. So I felt quiet secure. Just before touch down I was hoping that we would have no collapse.

So summarised, I thought it would have been better at my MAS flight if the pilot would have informed us not at the begin of the flight.
DC-6, DC9, Do228, Saab340, Twin-Otter, C212, Fokker50, AN24, MD90, MD83, EMB120, A380, A300, A343, A346, B721, B742, B744, B748...

Speedbird555

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:10 am

Fantastic job by the whole crew in such a stressful and difficult siutation. Based on the spectacular outcome, in my view they clearly made the correct judgements and decisions to meet their number one obligation, the saftey of their passengers. I'm sure that returning to EWR or diverting to any other airport would have been considered, but the decision to continue to WAW was clearly a good call. It certainly seemed less like winter in Poland than the US east coast has in recent days! Also wondering how diversion airports are coping today? Travelling frequently to POZ, which is having a lot upgrade works in preparation for the Euro 2012 Football Tournament, I've seen a lot of construction going on there with apron expansion and new terminal buildings. Perhaps an early test for them?

Great aviation moment.....we need more of these positive outcomes. I'm looking forward to seeing how they managed it.

[Edited 2011-11-02 00:24:55]

comairguycvg

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:27 am

That's what you call a good landing...everyone walked away.
Worked at: CV62, RJTA, KNLC, CV63, KNFL, OKAJ, KTRI, CV67, KMGE, KNQX, KVPS, KPIT, KCVG, KTYS, KATL

konrad

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:25 am

Here is a recording taken from the other side, showing the evacuation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgxakhZ8m4
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scUoqzG67-w

And this must be the cabin crew after evacuating the passengers:
http://lotnictwo.net.pl/gallery_foto_view.php?id=38447

Great job!

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 71):
OK, the major question here is what to do re: Polish jokes??

Well, from now on LOT will save a bunch of money by ordering their Boeings without landing gear.  

[Edited 2011-11-02 01:31:55]

[Edited 2011-11-02 01:34:09]

[Edited 2011-11-02 01:34:34]

BrouAviation

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:35 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 145):

Going from memory here from 1973 - one NATOPS manual for a high winged jet (A-3 Skywarrior) said each gear down helps minimize the chance of a ruptured fuel tank.
Quoting crjfixer (Reply 163):

Im not sure about the 767 but im pretty sure that if 1 main gear is stuck up, the manuals all say to keep all gear up. This would be to avoid cartwheeling the a/c when landing. If its just the nose gear that failed then you would keep the mains down and drag the nose.

I'd say if you have one main gear down, you are able to put it down on that gear, let the aircraft slow down first and only after it is at considerably lower speed let the rest of the fuselage come down, making fuselage disintegration less likely..
Never ask somebody if he's a pilot. If he is, he will let you know soon enough!

UAL777UK

Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 am

Quoting konrad (Reply 168):
Here is a recording taken from the other side, showing the evacuation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgxa...hZ8m4

Watching that clear view of the landing, the stopping, the emergency evacuation just brings it home to you that we just take it for granted that when we jump on a plane its just a simple A to B and that these guys up there looking after us have a easy job. but when the S### hits the fan you realise what great people they are and how professional they are and for the record I am talking about all of the crew here. LOT can be very proud of all of them this morning.

CX Flyboy

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:19 am

Quoting crjfixer (Reply 163):

The 777 checklist has you extending what gear you have and landing on it, then gently lowering the rest of the aircraft onto the runway.

GBan

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:23 am

Quoting usafdo (Reply 117):
I hope a video from inside the cabin of the evacuation surafces soon.

With over 200 PAX onboard, and this was an anticipated emergency landing, the chances are good.....

Honestly, I rather hope pax would follow instructions and NOT take videos in such a situation. Unfortunately you might be right about the chances of a video, though...

jeppelainen

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:04 am

Kudos to the pilots and rescue-crew regarding the landing!

http://lotnictwo.net.pl/gallery_foto...38447

Is it just me or does it look like there are still people evacuating through the right door when the cabin crew are running on the left side of the picture?

LH526

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:20 am

Quoting jeppelainen (Reply 173):
Is it just me or does it look like there are still people evacuating through the right door when the cabin crew are running on the left side of the picture?

I count a crew of 6 on the left of the photo .. I dpnt know what station they worked on, however I can't imagine a FA is allowed to leave her/his station when there are still pax evacuation the plane on other stations .. aren't FAs suppsod to leave the aircraftafter all pax got out? Otherwise it's abandoning ship and a ignorance of duty!
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

Bongodog1964

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:38 am

Looking at the film of the evacuation, the left rear door opens more or less as the plane comes to a halt, the slide is fully inflated and passengers are already on the ground when the left front door opens. Why the difference ?

The other thing of note is the fire trucks, at one point they even spray some of the evacuees with foam from the monitor.

ltbewr

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:46 am

I wonder if the FDR and CVR cover the entire flight or only the last hours? It would be very useful to know what the pilots knew and when they knew it to help the investigation and determine if the decisions made by the PIC and FO to continue to WAW was a correct one.

BA777

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:17 am

Quoting grimey (Reply 130):
Anyone know why they landed on runway 33 with a slight tailwind and not on the reciprocal runway 18 since the wind vector at the time was 130 at 4 knots.

The reciprocal would have been runway 15, but 15 doesn't have an ILS approach. Even though the weather was decent, a 5 knot tailwind is not significant really, we often land with 5,10 or even 15kt tailwind subject to performance considerations.

GBan

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:45 am

http://lotnictwo.net.pl/gallery_foto_view.php?id=38447

Great job!
Quoting jeppelainen (Reply 173):

Another "is it just me" question:

The people in that picture look kind of unreal to me. Can someone explain me what is causing this impression?

boxsmasher

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:58 am

It looks like a great landing BUT.....did the captain make the right call? If this was truly a center hydraulic failure and the Captain knew about the failure right after takeoff from EWR, he is illegal to fly ETOPs across the ocean with a plane load of people. I know it would make financial sense to continue on to Warsaw, but regs are meant to keep people safe and have nothing to do with making airlines more money. Secondly, looking at the 767 hydraulic system, how can all three gear not come out? I can possibly see one gear, but all three? My gut tells me that the crew could have error-ed during emergency checklist procedures. The gear will free fall with the alternate system as long as the main gear handle is down and not UP or in the OFF position. Any Boeing engineers on here that can come up with a scenario where the gear would not free fall from the wells?

fsnuffer

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:00 pm

The videos remind me of one important piece of advice I got at Nav school. If you have to evacuate the aircraft run away on the grass because the fire trucks will be racing down the pavement. It looks like some of the passengers got in the way of the emergency equipment.

mandala499

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Quoting BA777 (Reply 177):
The reciprocal would have been runway 15, but 15 doesn't have an ILS approach. Even though the weather was decent, a 5 knot tailwind is not significant really, we often land with 5,10 or even 15kt tailwind subject to performance considerations.

Other consideration:
Runway 15 is nearer to the terminal, aprons, and hangars. A mishap there can send the plane or projectiles from the aircraft onto other aircraft and people around there.
By going 33, by the time it is anywhere near the terminals, the speed would have been MUCH lower and risk of direct or secondary damage from a mishap with the attempt is minimized.

15/33 provided the least crosswind component of the runway pairs available.
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

flood

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:31 pm

Quoting GBan (Reply 178):
The people in that picture look kind of unreal to me. Can someone explain me what is causing this impression?

It's not just you. Whoever did the editing applied too much noise reduction to the image.

Quoting CX Flyboy (Reply 171):

The 777 checklist has you extending what gear you have and landing on it, then gently lowering the rest of the aircraft onto the runway.

Interesting. I would have thought any asymmetry would greatly increase the potential for an aircraft departing the runway.

Toni_

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:21 pm

To be honest, I was expecting to see the 767 gently come down on his nose.
So that made me wondering... Is there an emergency landing procedure in terms of weight and balance? Or am I looking at a normal thing here? Can the crew opt to move people around in the plane to move the center of gravity aft or forward?

After watching all these videos I noticed that the front doors opened slightly later than the aft ones. So I thought maybe they moved as many people as possible to the back? I know this flight was almost fully loaded with 230 of the 243 seats occupied, so that wouldn't give them much to play with. But still... maybe that they sent the business class passengers to do back?

I can imagine favoring an aft-belly damage over a nose one with the importance of section 41. Two new engines and some noisy sheet metal workers, and this baby is good to go!

Ronaldo747

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Excellent job by the pilots!

Bongodog1964

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:28 pm

people keep mentioning etops, with a fairly Northerly routing isn't it the case that you can meet the requirements without ETOPS ? Canada - Greenland - Iceland - Scotland - Mainland Europe.

BrouAviation

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 185):

people keep mentioning etops, with a fairly Northerly routing isn't it the case that you can meet the requirements without ETOPS ? Canada - Greenland - Iceland - Scotland - Mainland Europe.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=EWR-WAW&MS=wls&DU=mi&E=60&EV=389&EU=kts

They would have to take a northerly routing to fly without ETOPS indeed, but FlightAware shows us they didn't..

http://nl.flightaware.com/live/fligh...6/history/20111101/0355Z/KEWR/EPWA

trnswrld

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Quoting Toni_ (Reply 183):
To be honest, I was expecting to see the 767 gently come down on his nose.
So that made me wondering... Is there an emergency landing procedure in terms of weight and balance? Or am I looking at a normal thing here? Can the crew opt to move people around in the plane to move the center of gravity aft or forward?

The airplane is going to rest whichever side has more weight and obviously the engines are way forward of the center of the aircraft so why did you think the aircraft would rest on its nose? Infact, I dont think any wing mounted engine aircraft would have engines far enough back that the front of the fuselage would have enough weight so that it would rest on the ground. As far as your question about moving people around I cant imagine that being a procedure of any sort especially on a loaded wide body. Most seats were probably full anyway. Even if there were enough open seats so that they can move people to a certain location it would have no impact on a huge airliner that weighs as much as a 767. The airplane is going to sit that way no matter what/ Thats a lot of weight and aircraft behind the engines.

Delta777Jet

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Let's await the results of the investigation. Now it's reported they lost hyd. fluid so even more worse to continue ETOPS. If they would have immediately turned back they would be may be able to lower gear.

Also let's see if they followed all procedures for alternate extension.

After this we can judge if they were good pilots. Just to land the thing with gear up in favourable weather conditions (thanks god) doesn't mean they are good pilots. Any trained pilot should be able to do that in case with the PIA above they did that without even knowing about it......
B-717/722/737-200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/B-747-100/200/400/SP/8i/B-752/3/B-762/3/4/B-772/LR/300ER/B-787-8/-9/DC-10-10/30/L1011-1/500/MD81/82/83/90/A-319/320/321/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/TU154/IL18/ATR42/72/DH4/DH3/E145/E170/190/CR2/7/9

ordcargo

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:10 pm

The plane is lifted right now and they are trying to drop the gear down so they can tow it to the hangar.

airtechy

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:19 pm

One of the online news sources is reporting that Boeing is already on the way, but fog may hamper their arrival. Maybe we will get some pics that better display the damage.

Jim

BrouAviation

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Quoting ordcargo (Reply 189):
The plane is lifted right now and they are trying to drop the gear down so they can tow it to the hangar.

Is WAW still closed? I see all flights AMS-WAW have been cxd for the rest of the evening..

ordcargo

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:26 pm

Quoting BrouAviation (Reply 191):

They are hoping to resume operations at 20:00 local time. After they move the plane further down the runway from the crossing of both runways. It should fully open on Thursday though.

raaadek

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Captain, speaking at the press conference earlier today said that situation they have found themselves shortly after departure from EWR did not require him to make a decision, because all they had to do was simply to follow the rules. He also said that there was no reason to abandon the Atlantic crossing and return to the US. He did not elaborate more. Anyway, we will have to wait until the official report is available to make judgements though.

in polish only, sorry.
http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/wiadomos...c_podwozie_przez_przeciazenie.html

[Edited 2011-11-02 10:00:13]

BlueSky1976
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:59 pm

The maintenance crew was successfully able to lift the aircraft and to extend the landing gear.
Tarriffs are taxes. Taxation is theft. You are not entitled to anything.
If it's a Boeing, I'm not going.

airbazar

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Quoting bongodog1964 (Reply 175):
Looking at the film of the evacuation, the left rear door opens more or less as the plane comes to a halt, the slide is fully inflated and passengers are already on the ground when the left front door opens. Why the difference ?

Older, slower FA's up front. Younger more energetic FA's at the back   

kaitak

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Here's a report in English, with photos of the crew:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/s...11-02/polish-hero-pilot/51045504/1

Sadly, the relief FO doesn't get a mention; (I'm sure on a flight of this length, there would have been a relief FO)?

Also, it's mentioned that Capt. Wrona was 54 and had been flying 767s for 20 years, so presumably he would have qualified on the type as an FO in the early 1990s and (speculating here!) went on to be a captain on 734/735s, then back to the 767s ... probably due to convert to the 787s when they arrive?

It's probably not surprising that he has a lot of affection for the 767s, as this would have been the first western type he would have flown (it was also LO's first); presumably he would have been flying Tu-134s and -154s before moving to 767s, so he would have noticed quite a difference!

emiratesa345

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:50 pm

Leci jak orzel, laduje jak Wrona.

In English: Flies like an eagle, lands like a crow.

Mere coincidence that the Captain's last name translates to crow, but some Polish media have wasted no time in thinking the above up.

A job well done!

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

ariis

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:58 pm

On tow now on her own wheels, should vacate the rwys soon.
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

ordcargo

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:03 pm

http://m.onet.pl/_m/a3a3f0aaaf93fefd27da19fa76a7b04d,37,1.jpg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos