Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

futureualpilot

RE: Woman Is Stuck At SFO For 8 Days

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Quoting art (Reply 46):
..ABSURDLY stupid. If you don't have access to $60, you won't have access to $150 dollars, less still $1000. I will remember to avoid US Airlines if at all possible.

Why is that the airlines' problem? Their policies are available to anyone curious to find out, well in advance of when you travel. Even prior to purchasing a ticket.

But good call, make sure and judge all U.S. carriers and avoid them based on one story with extenuating circumstances.
Life is better when you surf.

bennett123

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:17 pm

"Weissinger offered to pay the fee when she arrived in Idaho, but the agent declined."

If she did not have $60, how was she going to pay it when in Idaho.

If she left the airport and had not paid, do people really believe that she would pay later.

Arcrftlvr
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 50):
But good call, make sure and judge all U.S. carriers and avoid them based on one story with extenuating circumstances.

I could be wrong, but I think "Art": meant US Airways. Not all U.S. airlines...just my interpretation of his post...

art

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Reply 52):
I could be wrong, but I think "Art": meant US Airways. Not all U.S. airlines...just my interpretation of his post...

Correct. I cited the name of the carrier mistakenly used in the article:

"She awoke to more bad news: U.S. Airlines explained ..."

Confuscius

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:49 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 6):
But she didn't know about / expect the bag fee.

Maybe she only flew Southwest before...

Ain't I a stinker?

m11stephen

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:28 am

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Reply 4):
Now, that's not to say that they CSR couldn't have waived the fee. It seems like the right thing to do. But US Airways is in no way obligated to do so. From a publicity standpoint, it would've been the right move, in hindsight.

I'm a CSR and if I waive bag fees for no valid reason (a passenger not having the money is not a valid reason) I will either get written up, have the money deducted from my paycheck or both. I have a heart and I sympathize with this woman but I'm not going to put my job on the line for her problem. I would be happy to call her friends and family and see if they could wire her the money or I would try and get my fellow ground crew members to pitch in and try and pay for her bag fees but I'm not going to risk my job for her.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 40):
I assume she also had no mobile. Surely the CSR could have rung a family/friend and taken a card payment for the $60.

Most airline computer systems aren't set up to allow us to do that.

I am sick and tired of the gasps, shrieks and moans I get from passengers when I tell them how much their baggage is going to cost them. I'm also tired of passengers thinking their bag can weigh as much as they want causing them to have to repack at the ticket counter. The airline is providing you an extra service by handing your checked bags for you thus the reason you have to pay for it. Our baggage fees are clearly posted on our website. I don't care that bags fly free on Southwest. This isn't Southwest and you didn't purchase a ticket on Southwest. If you don't like our baggage policies then don't fly with us. You can yell at me all you want. I don't make the rules and it's not my problem as a CSA when you don't have the money to pay for your baggage fees or you are simply unwilling to pay them.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

flybyguy

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:50 am

Not surprised none of you have sympathy for the woman in the story. Topics like this almost always raise the ire of people trolling this website. IF an airline does something that defies logic there's certainly a million ways the airline can be excused by our fellow A.neters. IF a passenger does something that makes the news, they're an idiot or a clown and deserve imprisonment or a lifetime ban from flying.

The lady hadn't flown for 5 years... baggage fees industry wide started in the last 4 years. An airline would rather throw someone's dignity in the trash for a measly $60? LOL, for all we know, $60 was probably the profit margin for that flight! US Airways has always been a lousy airline... the only thing they have going for them is that they're convenient and they have some of the lowest labor costs in the industry (while making hefty quarterly profits on employees' backs).

I do get it... this is airliners.net not passengers.net. But sometimes I wish some of you would have a heart.   
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

RamblinMan

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:16 am

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 55):
I would try and get my fellow ground crew members to pitch in and try and pay for her bag fees

Wish all CSRs were like you.

And shame on your employer for not allowing you any discretion at all in such matters. I'm sure you'd be professional enough not to waive fees without warrant, but you would also be able to prevent possible bad PR cases like this.

Jamake1

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:36 am

Quoting flybyguy (Reply 56):
Not surprised none of you have sympathy for the woman in the story.

The lady hadn't flown for 5 years... baggage fees industry wide started in the last 4 years. An airline would rather throw someone's dignity in the trash for a measly $60?

But sometimes I wish some of you would have a heart.

I am with you. A certain compassion is clearly lacking on the part of US Airways and on the part of some A-Net posters in this situation. Not everyone is plugged into the information age and as such, would not have a clue about all of the ancillary fees that have been imposed by the airline industry over the past few years. There is often a multitude of layers behind human behavior...and sometimes one has to try walking a mile in someone else's shoes in order to dissect these layers.
Come fly the sun.

LTC8K6

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:39 am

If you never help anyone whose mistake was "their own fault", then you will probably help very few people in your life...

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:43 am

I'm still wondering how she spent 8 days in an airport with $30... $30 will buy you what, 2 days of food?

StuckInCA

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:46 am

Quoting Splitterz (Reply 2):
As a former CSR I would NEVER humiliate a person like that US employee did. I have encountered this before and it was dealt with dignity and respect of the passenger.

Thank you for being a reasonable human being.

genybustrvlr

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:21 am

This lady was looking for her 15 minutes & some public sympathy - probably in hopes of a handout. What was she going to do in Idaho when she landed with $30. It would have just been a different sad tale on that end.

LTC8K6

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:27 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 60):
I'm still wondering how she spent 8 days in an airport with $30... $30 will buy you what, 2 days of food?

People probably bought her food. More people will probably do that than would offer to pay her fees. If you buy her food, you don't wonder what she did with your money.

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:51 am

Quoting LTC8K6 (Reply 63):
People probably bought her food. More people will probably do that than would offer to pay her fees. If you buy her food, you don't wonder what she did with your money.

Hmm odd. In a line full of people behind her, I'm surprised she wasn't able to get $30 out of them. People are generally nice, and I (even being a broke college grad) don't think I'm alone in giving her $30 had I been there.

Surely, after years of bag fees, I would think we'd hear of more cases of this. When there are millions of travelers every year, very few unique cases arise. Perhaps she is the only one that went to the press (months and months later, raising more red flags.) That's why I smell some BS, it just doesn't quite add up. I'm thinking she raised hell and made a fool of herself, preventing anyone from offering money and US Airways being less than helpful, then months later makes a pity story to get her 15 minutes. Kinda like that lady who's husband died and SAA was not refunding her ticket, after complaining and getting her refund, she then mentioned that "she received no extra compensation for her troubles..." methinks there is more than meets the eye. Those instantly siding with her and against US without hearing their side, well, haven't we seen where that can get us? But I digress.

milesrich

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:08 am

I'm a CSR and if I waive bag fees for no valid reason (a passenger not having the money is not a valid reason) I will either get written up, have the money deducted from my paycheck or both. I have a heart and I sympathize with this woman but I'm not going to put my job on the line for her problem. I would be happy to call her friends and family and see if they could wire her the money or I would try and get my fellow ground crew members to pitch in and try and pay for her bag fees but I'm not going to risk my job for her.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 40):
I assume she also had no mobile. Surely the CSR could have rung a family/friend and taken a card payment for the $60.

Most airline computer systems aren't set up to allow us to do that.

I am sick and tired of the gasps, shrieks and moans I get from passengers when I tell them how much their baggage is going to cost them. I'm also tired of passengers thinking their bag can weigh as much as they want causing them to have to repack at the ticket counter. The airline is providing you an extra service by handing your checked bags for you thus the reason you have to pay for it. Our baggage fees are clearly posted on our website. I don't care that bags fly free on Southwest. This isn't Southwest and you didn't purchase a ticket on Southwest. If you don't like our baggage policies then don't fly with us. You can yell at me all you want. I don't make the rules and it's not my problem as a CSA when you don't have the money to pay for your baggage fees or you are simply unwilling to pay them.

You're profile says you are between 16 and 20 years old. You live in DEN, and you are a CSR, If you are a CSR, you haven't been on the job that long, but if you are not a BS'er and really work for UAL or some other carrier at Denver and have that kind of attitude, keep it up, and Southwest will capture so much of your market share, you will be on the unemployment line. You should call yourself a Customer NO Service Representative, with an attitude like you seem to have.

wn700driver

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:42 am

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Thread starter):

Flying is a privilege, not a right..

Oy, not this crap again. If you paid for transportation, and aren't breaking the law or violating security regs, they are obligated to get you to your destination, or refund your money, full stop. It wouldn't take much to turn something like this into a profitable litigation for the right attorney.

Quoting Splitterz (Reply 2):
This story really gets in under my skin...Its about the passenger and representing your airline to best of your ability. I realize there are a few passengers that are rude, but judging by the woman, she was not. Thinking outside the box in this circumstance goes a long way. I'd also be willing to bet she won't fly US again.

No kidding. I've been a fan of US lately, and know a lot of good people there. But this needs to be better used as a learning experience. It was the same sort of myopic idiocy that got United famous for breaking guitars (for which they were rightly tarred and feathered)

Why didn't she just take the bus or train in the first place? It would have been cheaper.

Not necessarily. Sometimes flying really is cheaper.

But she didn't know about / expect the bag fee. These days there has been so much publicity about bag fees, she really should have known. Do they have traveler's aid anymore in airports? They could have helped her out too.

Again, not necessarily. It's easy for us to forget, since for us the airline industry is what pro-sports are to most regular people. But there are a lot of folks out there who really don't fly much and would have no reason in the world to know about bag fees. The fact is that there's a lot of people in the world who don't know about a lot of things that others take as read. Case in point, my sister just found out (at the age of 32) that you're supposed to tip movers.

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 12):

And besides, not 100% true. It is indeed rare for an airline to bill someone after the fact but there are cases where it can happen.

I'm not sure that does actually happen anymore. I know for a fact that US has no method to do this, as it relates here. Though I do know it was possible before Credit Card usage became so widespread. I remember hearing about a plan Pan Am once had to "lay away" travel costs, back in the 60s & 70s.

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 17):

Ignorance of the law doesn't hold up in court and neither should ignorance of company policies and fees.

Sure it does. The law may be black and white, but you're fooling yourself if you think leeway isn't donated by the cubic ton for most traffic and misdemeanors. A lot of states actually have sponsored online programs specifically designed to clear records and swap convictions for pre-judgement probations. Those are not entitlements, but the state more or less treats them that way in most cases.

And don't even get started on how fast and loose divorce and family court procedings can become...

US had plenty of wiggle room to put a fix on this, and they blew it. Again, they're actually one of my favorite airlines lately, but if they get a small black eye over the issue, well, they earned it.

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 21):
It's the same thing as how I routinely purchase cheap bank-owned real estate for personal profit...only possible because other people borrowed money they couldn't repay, got foreclosed, and that's totally their fault. Doesn't change the fact I feel sorry for those people.

Seriously. People screw themselves all the time. It does however, raise an eyebrow as to how eager we seem to be to punish people for it, without fully evaluating the situation.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

m11stephen

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:58 am

Quoting milesrich (Reply 65):
You're profile says you are between 16 and 20 years old. You live in DEN, and you are a CSR, If you are a CSR, you haven't been on the job that long, but if you are not a BS'er and really work for UAL or some other carrier at Denver and have that kind of attitude, keep it up, and Southwest will capture so much of your market share, you will be on the unemployment line. You should call yourself a Customer NO Service Representative, with an attitude like you seem to have.

What am I suppose to say, "Oh mam, I'm sooo sorry that we charge for bags. That is totally unfair and I wish I could do something!" I've been here for a year and have received about a dozen compliment letters for the service that I have provided to the elderly, handicapped, children, elites, etc. I obviously can't be too horrible at my job.

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 57):
Wish all CSRs were like you.

And shame on your employer for not allowing you any discretion at all in such matters. I'm sure you'd be professional enough not to waive fees without warrant, but you would also be able to prevent possible bad PR cases like this.

Now that I think about it if I were the agent in this situation and I could see that this women was truly distraught (I have had people show up and refuse to pay the fees claiming that they had no money thinking I would waive the fee only to pull out wads of cash after they realized I'm not budging) and only had $30 I would call my manager or supervisor, explain the situation to them, and see if I could have any leeway. If not I would track down one of our senior agents who has been there for 30+ years and try to convince them to waive the fee. If not I would just waive the fee myself and deal with it later. I am fortunate enough to have more then $30 in my pocket so it would be the decent thing to do.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

chrisair

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:59 am

Quoting jreuschl (Reply 22):
Apparently she didn't have a credit card to put the bag fee on, I don't know if all landlords do, but my last apartment they did a credit check.

Not having a credit card won't tank your credit. A couple friends don't have credit cards and they're able to rent apartments just fine (and one has less than stellar credit).

Quoting OA260 (Reply 44):
Im the same I would have given her the $30 .

+1. Me too. Probably would have given her a few extra bucks too. Or given her some of my WN points.  
Quoting m11stephen (Reply 67):
What am I suppose to say, "Oh mam, I'm sooo sorry that we charge for bags. That is totally unfair and I wish I could do something!"

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably listen to her sob story, see if she could get in touch with anyone, and then pay for it myself. It's $30. Then again, that's me...

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 66):
Case in point, my sister just found out (at the age of 32) that you're supposed to tip movers.

You only have to tip the movers if you plan on using them again to move your stuff.  

LordMontenegro

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:14 am

This story bothers me, but for the opposite reason. I understand the polarity of opinions on this matter, and while I have some initial sympathy for the woman (what could have been so wrong in her life that she decided to pack up everything and move from California to Idaho with only $30? And such that nobody in her life could apparently help her when the issue came up?), there are three things that still really bother me about the story in question:

1. Why are we just hearing about this now? It happened in April, and according to the article, the laws have already been changed to make sure a situation like this (hopefully) won't happen again. So why is this suddenly newsworthy? The whole premise and timing of the article is wrong. Not to mention the misleading headline that made it sound like the woman was indeed held captive, much like Mehran Nasseri.

2. How did the woman, who only had $30, survive 8 days at the airport? Food and water aren't cheap, no matter how you slice it. Did she get donations from other customers (and if so, why didn't she use that money to pay the extra baggage fees?) or did she have food in her bags (which may be the case given that she was moving cross-country)? But as this is not addressed, we have no way of ever knowing what happened.

3. What is US Airways' version of the events as they took place? Obviously we'll never get this story, but was it truly a heartless gate agent, or did the customer overreact and bring it on herself? Please understand, I'm not pointing a finger in either direction. I just know that journalists love to blow things out of proportion, and I feel several important details are left out of the story that would give us a more complete picture.

Please don't accuse me of being heartless. I'm an airline employee myself and if I saw a woman having an issue like this at the ticket counter, as many of you have said, I would have done what I could to step in and help her. And I'm sure some people standing in line behind her might have felt the same. However, that depends on how SHE was acting.

If she was emotionally distraught and/or crying, but not belligerent about it (and especially if the gate agent was being rude) I, as many of you, would have donated whatever I could have given to her cause. I'm aware of how oblivious some people are to the ways of the aviation world (much as I am to vehicles or sports), and I would want to do my part to rectify their misconceptions/mistakes. And there is no reason anybody working in customer service should treat any reasonably polite customer with anything the utmost respect and dignity.

However, if the woman was pitching a fit, chewing out the agent, or willfully holding up the line and being rude to other passengers... nope. Sorry. You're holding me/other passengers up and being rudely demanding, so you lost my sympathy. It's the passenger's responsibility to be aware of the terms and conditions of any tickets he/she purchased, and getting angry and belligerent over something that is technically your own fault to begin with will not win you any friends, either with the CSR or your fellow passengers.

I don't always agree with our policies, and we do have some awfully rude agents, but if the customer was acting entitled and/or abusing the agent, then I have no problem with what US did. Rude and insensitive agents have no place in service positions, just as rude customers shouldn't have their demands given in to because that sets the precedent that everyone else will follow. If the agent was the one in the wrong, and the customer wasn't acting vile, then the US agent and staff definitely handled it wrong

But that all being said, this "news" story seems outdated, unnecessary, and, as per usual, incredibly one-sided. Especially that last line. Completely unbiased.   

Afterthought/Side Note: when did they take that footage of her walking through the airport and approaching the customer service people? Was this all from 6 months ago and Yahoo just picked up on it, or is she flying US again even after her experience?  

enzedder

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:26 am

all it comes down to is ignorance is no excuse. you mite be lucky if someone helps you out or someone makes an exception for you. but you cannot expect this. neither from a single person nor a company.

and she was not stuck as she could have left the airport.

sounds more she got stuck in life. which is sad. but not USs fault.

enzedder

pylon101

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:15 am

Being broken doesn't make people ready to accept help/ assitance from people.
Somewtimes it is very hard to cross the line.
That's exactly where corporate ethics is supposed to step in.
The woman was ready to leave one bag - but even then U.S.Airways was mean: they turned it down due to security reasons.
I am sure this is the airline's fault - and I hope it will cost them dearly.

Nothing can justify such inhuman way of action.
I am on EK 231/232. The rest is just jet lag.

bennett123

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:59 am

Assuming that she had arrived in Idaho with $30, no home and no job.

What would she have done then.

How much would food/accomodation etc cost before she got more money.

26point2

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:27 am

Why didn't she just take the bus or train in the first place? It would have been cheaper.

The only Idaho city US serves is BOI. The only pax train in Idaho is extreme far north on the trans-con line and nowhere near BOI

ozark1

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:07 pm

This is pretty doggone laughable. Just ANOTHER great sensationalized story for the slimy media to sink their trailer-trash-mentality in to. I have NO REMORSE for this woman. There is just no way that you stay in an airport for 6 days unless you don't try very hard to get out of there. She could have gone from terminal to terminal and begged for some cash, either from other airlines or their employees (although we don't have much to spare!  ) or she could have gone up to some well dressed businessman and explained her predicament. You can pretty much get a sense of people who are approachable and I am sure there would have been MANY people who would have helped her out.
But no, she stays in the airport for six days. Hey at least the media couldn't get all hysterical about no working toilets!

GentFromAlaska

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 60):

Although I've originated or terminated at SFO on a handful of occasions on business trips, not being overly familiar with the area I know in SEA there is a Denny's less than a half mile walk from the terminal. Also at SEA there is a city ordinance prohibiting in airport fast food concessionaires from charging more than they would outside of the airport. There are no dollar menu, but fast food is not as expensive as you would experience at other airports.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

contrails15

Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:12 pm

She calls up "friends" in the area to get some money for the fee and couldn't come up with an extra $30????
Giants football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highflier92660

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:07 pm

This story is so fascinating on so many levels. The media has presented her travel misadventure as a "sad sign of our times" to solicit as much sympathy for this woman as possible. O.K. But what aeronautical vacuum has she been living in for that past five years that she doesn't know about baggage fees? Also how does one travel with so little cash and no credit cards? And what is one to conclude of her itinerary: SFO to Phoenix to Salt Lake City and finally to Sun Valley, Idaho? Couldn't she have flown on a SkyWest CRJ from SFO to Boise and driven up to Sun Valley much easier?

PA110

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:34 pm

As a Bay Area resident, I believe I can offer a possible explanation as to why this is only appearing now.
1) If Michael Finney is involved, this story went through a lengthy editorial process. Michael Finney has a feature on channel 7 called "7 on your side" where he investigates consumer complaint issues. Stories are not reported "as they unfold". After someone contacts him, the editorial staff decide if the story is worth doing, and then an investigation is required. The station then decides when/if the story will air, often months later.
2) If you look at the URL for the story, it is coming from a Yahoo blog post, not directly from Yahoo's news division. No doubt, the blogger in question, picked this up from the local broadcast and decided to post it.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

richierich

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Quoting art (Reply 46):
...ABSURDLY stupid. If you don't have access to $60, you won't have access to $150 dollars, less still $1000. I will remember to avoid US Airways if at all possible.

There is something inherently wrong with this logic. If US makes an exception for this lady just because she claims to have no money, then that doesn't seem fair to those that have been charged the fee (everybody else). I know this sounds like I am defending US but that is not really my intention... Of course there are always exceptions but rules are rules, policies are policies and US has the right to uphold their own rules as long as they are clearly stated.

And maybe that's the point here - basic expectations differ so much from airline to airline that it can be difficult to know what you are getting for your money when buying a ticket. This case maybe extreme but I'm surprised we have not heard about situations like this happening more often. The average passenger does not and is not going to go digging into a Contract of Carriage agreement (aka "small print") to contrast and compare airline policies and prices. It is easy to always blame the ignorance of the passenger but I also feel that airlines have not been as clear about their included services and extra charges - sometimes it is not apparent until the time of booking. Even seasoned a.net 'experts' can find it difficult to keep track of which airline charges fees and how much they charge for basic extras.

I am an outspoken critic against checked bag fees, the first bag anyway, and don't even get me started on airlines like NK charging for carry-on bags. I know it has become a somewhat accepted practice in this country but it doesn't mean I like it. Since I don't think regulating what an airline can and cannot charge for fees is the right answer either, I think there should be a clear and consistent way to show what is included in the ticket cost and what is 'extra cost'. Perhaps having the fees displayed in the same format across all airlines, to help even the playing field, would cut down on incidents like this but unfortunately I must concede that even this would not eliminate them. Sometimes ignorance is not bliss.
None shall pass!!!!

USAirALB

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:40 pm

What I don't understand is that I fly US all the time, and everytime I do, the gate agent usually offers to check bags "free of charge". She probably could have gone to the gate and said something on the lines of "My bag is to heavy for me to carry" or "I don't know if this will fit in the overhead". In my experience, they'll check it for you. I have never seen anyone fly US and have to pay to check a bag at the gate.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

richierich

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 80):
What I don't understand is that I fly US all the time, and everytime I do, the gate agent usually offers to check bags "free of charge". She probably could have gone to the gate and said something on the lines of "My bag is to heavy for me to carry" or "I don't know if this will fit in the overhead". In my experience, they'll check it for you. I have never seen anyone fly US and have to pay to check a bag at the gate.

I don't know what US you have been flying but I have seen it and had the bag charges applied to me on several occasions. I've probably flown US domestically a half dozen times in the last 12 months and I cannot think of a time they 'waived' my bag fee.
None shall pass!!!!

frmrCapCadet

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:32 pm

Airlines store bags all of the time - when they lose them! And even then the legacies did not want to refund baggage fees after the loss or delay. Surely they could occasionally store a bag for a week for the hapless traveler.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

something

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:50 pm

The lady sounds like a hobo and the story seems flawed. However, we don't know why she got into the situation she was in, what the circumstances of her life looked like and how one thing came to another.

What we do know with certitude however at this point is that US Airways at SFO will de-plane you for wearing pyjama pants in combination with black skin, but will honor you for cross dressing and white skin. They will not bend the rules to accomodate a person in plight, but they will spend 100 times the forgone revenue in dealing with the case.

Legally US is in the right and the woman's at fault. Ethically, I hope the American traveller's future airline choices will take these business practices into consideration.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

RWA380

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:36 pm

This reminds me of a recent story here in Portland, where a woman left her abusive husband or boyfriend, scrounged enough money together to buy 2 o/w tickets on greyhound back to South Dakota for herself and child. Upon arriving at the bus station it was found her luggage was ten pounds over weight and would not let her board the bus. She went back to the house to try and scrape up the extra bucks, the guy found her and murdered her brutally. Had greyhound just let her go with extra few pounds, she'd be alive. She had even advised why she was needing to be on that bus and the service agent offered no sympathy or alternatives. This is an example of, there are always other ways to help people in bad situations to pay it forward.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

bluewhale18210

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 64):
I'm thinking she raised hell and made a fool of herself, preventing anyone from offering money and US Airways being less than helpful, then months later makes a pity story to get her 15 minutes.

Exactly my thought.

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 67):
I would call my manager or supervisor, explain the situation to them, and see if I could have any leeway. If not I would track down one of our senior agents who has been there for 30+ years and try to convince them to waive the fee. If not I would just waive the fee myself and deal with it later.

That marks you as a good CSR. Right there.

Quoting milesrich (Reply 65):

Stand on that counter line for a week, then go back and revisit the statement. You will be surprised how fast you become numb to the "Distressed" passengers, and how short your patience would be to people who may/may not have money and raise a bunch of hell for a policy that your company is expecting you to uphold.

Quoting pylon101 (Reply 71):
The woman was ready to leave one bag - but even then U.S.Airways was mean: they turned it down due to security reasons

Oh yeah? Remember the airport announcement "Do not leave your belongings unattended"? That's a security hazard, as you absolutely do not know what is inside an abandoned bag. That's not mean...that's security procedure.

Quoting frmrCapCadet (Reply 82):
Surely they could occasionally store a bag for a week for the hapless traveler.

You'll be amazed how many hoops you have to jump through to get that done, even if the bag is screened.
JPS on A300-600RF A319/320 B737-400/800 B757-200F B767-300F CRJ-200/900. Looking to add more.

jayspilot

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Here is the question I have... If the person was flat broke why the heck did she buy a one way ticket to fly when a Greyhound bus ticket is 100 less.

I was curious and picked December 13th as a random week day to travel from SFO to BOI to compare costs

The cheapest flight on Kayak was alaska airlines at 141 one way with tax plus $40 to bring two bags costing her 180.. a greyhound bus for the same day costs $89.

I know the Plane takes 4 hours and 10 min and the bus takes about 1 day total longer but its better then a week in the airport.

the lesson I get from this is don't fly flat broke!    

m11stephen

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:55 pm

This reminds me of something that happened about six months ago. I had a pax who was flat out broke, used the last dime she had to buy a plane ticket to fly out west and start a new life. Unfortunately she showed up late (she couldn't get a ride to the airport) and ended up missing her flight. Our policy is to list passengers who missed their flights as standby on the next flight. Unfortunately we only had two flights a day to this destination and they were oversold for the next three days. I could instantly tell that this women had a good heart, a good soul and just desperately needed to start her life over. She had no place to stay in town and was stuck in the airport for at least the next three days.

I considered letting this women stay with me however I did not think my company nor my manager would be too happy if they found out that I was letting a stranded passenger stay in my home. So, I went home and brought my air mattress, some sheets, blanket, toiletries and personal items to the airport to make this passenger as comfortable as possible during her stay. I also brought a room divider for her and set it up in the corner of baggage claim (The Airport Police said it would be fine) so she could have some privacy. I also went grocery shopping and brought her breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. After four days she finally got on a flight. When she was about ready to board she burst out crying, gave me the biggest hug ever, and said that I was the sweetest, kindest and most caring person she had ever met. I wrote her a check for $100 in case she needed some emergency money (she never did cash the check). She promised to keep in touch with me. I am happy to say that she has found a job, apartment and is doing very well.

Did I have to help this person? Of course not. But it is our job as humans to help each other out and it is what I would hope someone would do for me if I was ever in that situation. This women was clearly in a dire situation and clearly needed someone to lend a hand.

It may have not been clear to the US Agent in this story that this women was in dire need of some help. I wasn't there so I can't say. However MOST agents do have a heart and would do all that they could to help a passenger in dire need of help.

Arcrftlvr
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:02 pm

The airline is providing you an extra service by handing your checked bags for you thus the reason you have to pay for it.

Oh really? So when my bag doesn't arrive with my flight, do I get my money back? I didn't get the service I paid for? And, this is only compounded by the fact that you never had to pay before four years ago.

I'm a CSR and if I waive bag fees for no valid reason (a passenger not having the money is not a valid reason) I will either get written up, have the money deducted from my paycheck or both.

I'm not saying you should waive the fees at your own discretion. Surely there's a procedure to get the fees waived that wouldn't affect your job. If you got management approval, I don't see how your job would be affected?

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 66):
Oy, not this crap again. If you paid for transportation, and aren't breaking the law or violating security regs, they are obligated to get you to your destination, or refund your money, full stop. It wouldn't take much to turn something like this into a profitable litigation for the right attorney.

No one told her she couldn't fly. Not sure what your point is here.

m11stephen

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Reply 88):
Oh really? So when my bag doesn't arrive with my flight, do I get my money back? I didn't get the service I paid for? And, this is only compounded by the fact that you never had to pay before four years ago.

You are eligible for a refund if your bags don't arrive on the same flight as you. Starting soon UA will automatically refund your money (provided you paid with a debit/credit card) if your bag doesn't arrive on the same flight as you do.

HPRamper

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Just not enough information here to make any sort of judgement call. Plain and simple. Too many question marks.

To those claiming the woman should be given the benefit of the doubt for being information-age impaired...she obviously knew enough to book a flight on Orbitz - my mother probably couldn't even do that. Sounds more like ignorance disguised as misfortune.

Arcrftlvr
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 89):
You are eligible for a refund if your bags don't arrive on the same flight as you. Starting soon UA will automatically refund your money (provided you paid with a debit/credit card) if your bag doesn't arrive on the same flight as you do.

This is the first I've heard of that. This has happened to me twice on AA and once on UA. All I got was a too bad so sad. On the other hand, Southwest told me to submit the receipts for the clothes and toiletries I purchased and they would reimburse me. I believe my limit was $75 at the station. Anything over that would have to be submitted to corporate. Can't say enough good things about that airline....

mham001

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Reminds me of the time I went to Guadalajara thinking I was going to use my ticket fly home, only to find out there was an airport departing fee (only to foreign destinations). Problem was, I had diligently spent all my pesos before arriving at the airport. No cash left, whatsoever. This was in the 80's before ATMs and all that.

pylon101

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 87):
and said that I was the sweetest, kindest and most caring person she had ever met.

And you apparently are, Stephen.
Thanks for making my day brighter!
I am on EK 231/232. The rest is just jet lag.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:37 pm

This forum shows how totally out of touch most people on here are. They can't stop thinking as airline fanatics who read about aviation and fly constantly.

Why would she know they charge for bags? She said she hadn't flow in 5+ years i gurantee you most people in that same 5+ year not flying pool wouldn't know either. Clearly the airlines were not clear enough which is why they are being forced to make bag fees clearer now. Its not like all airlines charge bag fees either.

Its is a very hard economy out there and this lady was doing the right thing. She was moving to a cheaper cost of living area and a state with much lower unemployment. Dont attack her when she is probably one of the millions of unfortunite people trying to find a job. It is extremely hard to find a job for the unskilled/least experienced workers. Most people on here lived in a time when unskilled workers could buy a house, find a job easily, get medical insurance from work, and then get a retirement at the end. Thats not the case anymore and she was moving in the right direction so dont slam someone whos making the right moves. She probably not the sharpest tool in the shed and is one of the millions trying to make it in a horrible economy to find a job.

Quoting jayspilot (Reply 86):
Here is the question I have... If the person was flat broke why the heck did she buy a one way ticket to fly when a Greyhound bus ticket is 100 less.I was curious and picked December 13th as a random week day to travel from SFO to BOI to compare costsThe cheapest flight on Kayak was alaska airlines at 141 one way with tax plus $40 to bring two bags costing her 180.. a greyhound bus for the same day costs $89. I know the Plane takes 4 hours and 10 min and the bus takes about 1 day total longer but its better then a week in the airport. the lesson I get from this is don't fly flat broke!

This is not necessarily accurate and you know it. First of all you dont know what price she paid for her plane ticket maybe a family member even used united or continental miles to get her a ticket on usairways one way these articles are rarely totally accurate. There are many dates where greyhounds cheapest fare is $105 and the standard fare on that route is $178 FYI. The plane ticket could have been the same price or even cheaper lets not make all these assumptions. Those are both LCC southwest and Frontier served cities there definitiely could have been a very low fare on usairways.

Amtrak with thruway bus service is likely to be more expensive alot of days than flying.

There are hundreds of thousands of people sitting on their couches watching judge judy as i write this who are not even counted in the unemployment stats because they have just given up on finding a job this lady is making the right moves to be a productive member of society. Im not saying shes a hero and we all know shes not a genius but give her a break she was heading in the right direction and making a move. Plus San Fran is too crowded as is   Idaho has tons of room

BMIFlyer

Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:46 pm

A response to this story has just appeared on the US Facebook page.....

US Airways
Some of you have seen stories about our customer who couldn’t pay her bag fees on a flight last April. We appreciate your concern for her unfortunate situation. We’ve been trying to resolve this with her.

We let our customers know we charge for checked bags when they book their ticket, check in online and arrive at the airport. If we’d known about the special circumstances we could have helped her with other arrangements. We have apologized and offered to pay her fees for the flight that she took on another carrier.

Facebook people look here
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

HPRamper

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Except she didn't book her ticket on the US Airways website, she used Orbitz so she wasn't privy to any kind of info US may have provided. The laws have since changed, but subjectively, Orbitz was as much at fault as anyone else.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:12 pm

Quoting bluewhale18210 (Reply 85):
You'll be amazed how many hoops you have to jump through to get that done, even if the bag is screened.

I am aware of the hoops I have to jump through when bags are lost. I am not aware of the hoops (airline enforced) you have to jump through.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 95):
A response to this story has just appeared on the US Facebook page.....

Hmm... this is very, VERY similar to that woman whose husband died and was having trouble getting a refund from SAA... after getting the refund, she started complaining about getting additional compensation. My suspicion in this story just doubled... is she doing this to jip the airline?

RamblinMan

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 95):
We have apologized and offered to pay her fees for the flight that she took on another carrier.

Huh? The article implied that she eventually flew out on US after they agreed to charge her a total of $210 instead of $1000. What's this about another carrier?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos