Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BrianDromey

RE: MAN News 44

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 47):
Another totally random question: Does Terminal 1 have a domestic arrivals gate? What do the EI and Aer Arann flights do? and other domestic flights (e.g. Aurigny) do out of Terminal 1?
Quoting skipness1E (Reply 48):
As to Aurigny and Aer Lingus, they have the same situation as at LGW. Show your boarding card and you are ushered through international arrivals.

Whenever I've arrived from ROI, on RE, EI or FR we have always been bussed from the aircraft to the ROI/Channel Islands/Domestic arrivals door. I've never been able to walk off the aircraft and through to the baggage hall, although thing might have been a bit different when EI used abridges for boarding at MAN. They almost use front and rear steps on the A320 these days. Obviously the ATR's only have a rear door, so its always steps!

Daleaholic

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Agreed! But tearing it down and starting over would be a huge problem... sadly

I know, I know! Then again, they could rebuild the terminal in stages but with one architectural design. At the moment it's a mix of different era building techniques and designs!

I can't see it though, especially since they're replacing the airbridges on stands 29,31 and 32... Not sure whether we'll see an A380 capable stand there or if it's just a modernisation of the existing stand system. (New aircraft stand guidance systems are being installed across the airfield).

Be interesting to see what MAG has planned for T1 in the future... Anybody remember the proposed T1 B-Pier design? Prior to the A380 arrival... It would've been a whole lot nicer than what we've got now!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

planejamie

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 51):
I know, I know! Then again, they could rebuild the terminal in stages but with one architectural design. At the moment it's a mix of different era building techniques and designs!

I can't see it though, especially since they're replacing the airbridges on stands 29,31 and 32... Not sure whether we'll see an A380 capable stand there or if it's just a modernisation of the existing stand system. (New aircraft stand guidance systems are being installed across the airfield).

Be interesting to see what MAG has planned for T1 in the future... Anybody remember the proposed T1 B-Pier design? Prior to the A380 arrival... It would've been a whole lot nicer than what we've got now!

Pier C isn't too bad, but I think the airbridges must be incredibly old by now, at least 30 years, maybe more? (I'm only 17, so I don't know to be honest, but I've always remembered them being there). 29, 31 and 32 are the heavy stands right (at the end of the pier in that circle bit). I can't imagine boarding an A380 through Pier B... that pier is a MESS!

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 50):
Whenever I've arrived from ROI, on RE, EI or FR we have always been bussed from the aircraft to the ROI/Channel Islands/Domestic arrivals door. I've never been able to walk off the aircraft and through to the baggage hall, although thing might have been a bit different when EI used abridges for boarding at MAN. They almost use front and rear steps on the A320 these days. Obviously the ATR's only have a rear door, so its always steps!

Ahh, I never knew there was a ROI/Channel Islands/Domestic door at Terminal 1, I did think maybe they used Terminal 3 for arrivals or something...

RyanairGuru

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 34):
The last I heard, the plan was to build... (don't quote me on this)... On top of C-Pier. So basically add another level directly on top of gates 22/23/24/25/26/27/28/29/31/32. This information is a bit old though so could be wrong.

As has been said, the terminal needs tearing down and rebuilding as a whole. It's stuck in the dark ages compared to other international airports

Does T1 still have the old upstairs downstairs go-round-in-circles system for arrivals?

I haven't been to MAN since I left the UK in January 2008, and - now I think about it - I was last in T1 in 2006
Worked Hard, Flew Right

LGWflyer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:13 am

Quoting david_itl (Thread starter):
US: CLT (possibly 2013 for this though)

If this is true, then great news for MAN! I love CLT, can't beat the place.  
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

LGWflyer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:15 am

Also, I'm sure BA have used 777s occasionally from LHR/LGW when there's been either snow at LHR or 734s gone tech at LGW

Yes this has happened, I would love to see a 777 at the gate for such a short flight!

Daleaholic

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:45 am

Quoting planejamie (Reply 52):
I think the airbridges must be incredibly old by now, at least 30 years, maybe more?

They drive like they're 30 years old so chances are, they are that old. Good to see them being replaced!

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 53):
Does T1 still have the old upstairs downstairs go-round-in-circles system for arrivals?

Yes, on B-Pier (stand 2,4,6,8,10) you have to do a 10 mile hike just to get to the arrivals channel.  

Luftymatt

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:55 am

Quoting lisbonbearuk (Reply 45):
The route ceased in early 2001 and routed ISB-MAN-LGW

The ISB route didn't go via LGW, but LHR.
chase the sun

ZKOJH

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:55 am

Longhaul routes at MAN are falling , what is going on with the route deparment team?

No Air Asia X - there to happy with LGW
Air China going into LGW - MAN might pick up CZ?
Mahan Air a no go too.
Hong Kong Airlines are going to LGW too - short of a/c to start MAN

starting to see a big trend with LGW!

Expansion to the far east is starting to dry up..??

only good news is:

LH to Berlin.
Aeroflot are comming to MAN next year - good news

is 2012 going to be good or bad?
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

fxramper

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:22 am

Why is CO operating IAH-MAN?

BMIFlyer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:26 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 59):

IAH? You mean IAD??

They are moving some of the PMCO TATL birds to IAD....
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

LGWflyer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:48 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 58):
starting to see a big trend with LGW!

Yep and its only the start of things to come!!!

RyanairGuru

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:16 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 56):
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 53):

Yes, on B-Pier (stand 2,4,6,8,10)

Oh so what have they done with C-Pier. Last time I was there the concourse was split into with the left side departing and right arriving. Therefore if your flight departed on the right or arrived on the left you had to go down stairs and then up the other side. Have they fixed this now?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

boysteve

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 62):
Oh so what have they done with C-Pier. Last time I was there the concourse was split into with the left side departing and right arriving. Therefore if your flight departed on the right or arrived on the left you had to go down stairs and then up the other side. Have they fixed this now?

No, only last week I departed on LX from stand 24 and you have to do the downstairs upstairs thing to cross underneath the arrivals channel. It wasn't to bad, I once did it to get to an EK A332 about 7 years ago and the queue to board wound round the departure gate area and then right through the downstairs upstairs bit to the other side. NOT USER FRIENDLY.

David_itl
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:27 am

That's not a MAN problem

Mahan Air a no go too.

May be good not to have them seeing that America will not co-oprerate with firms having dealings with them.

Air China going into LGW - MAN might pick up CZ?

Not overly concerned as MAN stated that they didn't expect a Chinese link for a while

Not too bad a thing - if anything, it would help keep SQ here.

Longhaul routes at MAN are falling

Lost 1 daily to EWR.. only for it to be replaced by new destinaton.
is 2012 going to be good or bad?

2 extra FR aircraft. Should be 1 more U2 aircraft. LS adding routes. Fits in quite nicely with what MAN have been saying which is they antipicate expansion primarily led by low-cost carriers.

gkirk

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:29 am

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 57):
The ISB route didn't go via LGW, but LHR.

It originally went LGW-MAN-ISB-MAN-LGW, then changed to LHR-MAN-ISB-MAN-LHR, then LHR-ISB-LHR. MAN dropped due to competition from PIA.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

David_itl
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:39 am

EY eyes up 3rd daily

"Mr Hogan said: "I would expect us to go to three flights a day out of Manchester within the next five years"

"He said business travel accounts for about a third of its traffic, with the rest made up of leisure travellers."

That would probably lead to QR going 3 daily with EK 4 daily.

Daleaholic

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:12 am

QR are planning a 3rd daily flight. Transit. DOH-MAN-LAX or something similar. It's in the pipeline.

col

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 am

Quoting david_itl (Reply 66):
with EK 4 daily.

or 3 x daily 380's, much more efficient, and gets rid of those noisy 77Ws.

alanelrfc

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:25 am

Aeroflot have had their slot application into MAN accpeted.
Supposedly daily from June 2012, A320.
Flown On: F50,F100,DH4,M88,E145,E90,AT7,AR1,B733,735,738,739,B744,752,763,773,A319,320,321,332,333,346

standby87

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:17 am

Quoting boysteve (Reply 63):
No, only last week I departed on LX from stand 24 and you have to do the downstairs upstairs thing to cross underneath the arrivals channel. It wasn't to bad, I once did it to get to an EK A332 about 7 years ago and the queue to board wound round the departure gate area and then right through the downstairs upstairs bit to the other side. NOT USER FRIENDLY.

Agree. Now try that with 2 small children and a kinder buggy. Next time, I'm going to bang on the glass until they open the door for us, rather than going down those stairs.

Luftymatt

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:34 am

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 61):
Yep and its only the start of things to come!!!

Oh yeah thats right. LGW lost their daily QR flight, so they could do a second daily MAN service.
chase the sun

GT4EZY

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Quoting standby87 (Reply 70):
Agree. Now try that with 2 small children and a kinder buggy. Next time, I'm going to bang on the glass until they open the door for us, rather than going down those stairs.

Yep and that will get you precisely.........nowhere. I know having children can be a challenge from time to time, in more ways than one. Most parents take things in their stride but there are some who, like yourself, come across as being precious as though they are the only people in existence to have children and who have ever had children. If you genuinely need help then ask the crew about assistance from ground crew, it can be arranged. Otherwise, just deal with it as one of those slightly challenging and ever so slightly inconvenient moments that you have to endure day in day out that comes part and parcel of having children.

I didn't realise you had to be unhappy with LGW to operate MAN. Very few airlines would ever drop LON for MAN.

Hardly MAN's fault. Although I'm not overly fussed if they were only going to operate 1Xweekly. At the time, someone did say they were only looking at MAN for diversionary purposes.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

MANmatt

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 72):
At the time, someone did say they were only looking at MAN for diversionary purposes.

They were and have signed a contract with a handling agent for diversion purposes only.

standby87

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Yep and that will get you precisely.........nowhere. I know having children can be a challenge from time to time, in more ways than one. Most parents take things in their stride but there are some who, like yourself, come across as being precious as though they are the only people in existence to have children and who have ever had children. If you genuinely need help then ask the crew about assistance from ground crew, it can be arranged. Otherwise, just deal with it as one of those slightly challenging and ever so slightly inconvenient moments that you have to endure day in day out that comes part and parcel of having children.

Point taken, but actually it's not about me being a parent.
It's about me wanting Manchester Airport to be a world-class airport, like Zurich or Singapore.
A world-class airport that anticipates and plans passenger's needs and requirements rather than bodging a half-cocked solution to separating arriving and departing passengers.

But sadly Manchester Airport is not a world-class airport.
And it truly pains me to admit it.

I come from Manchester and it embarrasses me watching visitors from abroad or elderly pax struggle at those "down-and-up-the-steps" departure gates.
There's no lift you can use, there's no alternative other than banging at the window until the gate staff open the connecting door!

Edit:
I just read your profile: we're BOTH proud of Manchester, but without sounding patronising, I have travelled a lot more and seen better ways of doing things.

[Edited 2011-11-11 04:23:50]

Luftymatt

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:30 pm

I didn't realise you had to be unhappy with LGW to operate MAN. Very few airlines would ever drop LON for MAN

True, but QR did  
chase the sun

lisbonbearuk

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:40 pm

Royal Air Maroc are rumoured to be looking at a 3x weekly CMN-MAN.

Good news if true, and would give some good connections to sub-Saharan Africa.

GT4EZY

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 75):
True, but QR did

Only they operate LHR.

GT4EZY

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Quoting standby87 (Reply 74):

It's about me wanting Manchester Airport to be a world-class airport, like Zurich or Singapore.
A world-class airport that anticipates and plans passenger's needs and requirements rather than bodging a half-cocked solution to separating arriving and departing passengers.

I agree in part, I want the best for MAN too. However, MAN is not in the same league as Zurich or Singapore, not even close. Is this an excuse? no it shouldn't be but there are worse places, much worse places that are in the same league as MAN. T1 is an adaptation maze in parts but that is no real reason to pull it to the ground and rebuild, particularly when the economy isn't exactly brimming with money at the minute. As enthusiasts we all would love to see the glass palaces that we see when we fly around the world, particularly to those places that have only really emerged in the last 20 years but again, keeping up with the Jones' is no excuse for demolishing a terminal.

T1 isn't the best and I think we all agree on that. But at the same time, a few stairs and a few inadequate corridors aside, it's a pretty good experience IMO. In fact MAN over all is still regarded highly by passengers and the travel trade alike hence it wins awards on a regular basis.

skipness1E

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:08 pm

At Gatwick they just put a floor on top of Pier 2 and made that arrivals, kept departures on the floor below. Simples! Pier 2 at Gatwick and Pier B at LGW are much of a same age and design, it could be done I am sure.

Luftymatt

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 77):
Only they operate LHR.

Yeah I know, it was LGW that was in context.

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 79):
At Gatwick they just put a floor on top of Pier 2 and made that arrivals, kept departures on the floor below. Simples! Pier 2 at Gatwick and Pier B at LGW are much of a same age and design, it could be done I am sure.

I agree, I can't help feeling that the only reason MAN aren't doing those type of improvements is that they are skimping with money. The T1 gate area is in desperate need of sorting out, and as has been pointed out already on here is an embarrassment to MAN when people first arrive at the airport.
chase the sun

GT4EZY

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 79):

An arrivals floor ontop of a pier would mean they would ultimately have to get 2 floors down into the arrivals hall which would be even more of a botch job. Making the existing level the arrivals floor would also be difficult considering much of the departure lounge is on that level.

GT4EZY

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 80):

Yeah I know, it was LGW that was in context.

No I said few airlines would drop LON for MAN. QR didn't drop LON, they dropped LGW.

Daleaholic

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:12 pm

There's no lift you can use

Incorrect. There's a lift just by gate 23 and one on the opposite wall at 22. Both are for PAX and staff use.

MANmatt

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:46 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 83):
There's a lift just by gate 23 and one on the opposite wall at 22. Both are for PAX and staff use.

Correct. However these are in the arrivals channel therefore would require a staff member to escort passengers from one side to the other.

BrianDromey

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 78):
T1 isn't the best and I think we all agree on that. But at the same time, a few stairs and a few inadequate corridors aside, it's a pretty good experience IMO. In fact MAN over all is still regarded highly by passengers and the travel trade alike hence it wins awards on a regular basis.

I think there are a few issues at T1, as most have said the terminal was built in another age, when regulations were very different. The check-in hall, duty free/retail and main food court/circulating space are pretty much on par with anything you would find worldwide. They really did a good job with the new security area and retail space a few years ago, it been really successful other than the really dark oppressive space around Curries, which is repulsive! If they would replace the blue fluorescent tubes with white ones and paint the ceiling tiles white, it would be so much better.
The main issues at T1 are the boarding piers - which are less than optimal and the baggage system. Unfortunately both are expensive to replace. ZRH have done a good job redeveloping their B pier, but any such plans imply closing the pier for a period of time, leading to temporary airline movements, or an increase in bussing. I think any potential benefits would be limited, and hard to justify in hard times.

Daleaholic

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Quoting MANmatt (Reply 84):

Aaah sorry I thought we were talking about arriving passengers. For departing passengers it is ridiculous having to go downstairs, just to go upstairs to get to gates 22, 24 and 26.

mainMAN

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 85):
any such plans imply closing the pier for a period of time, leading to temporary airline movements, or an increase in bussing. I think any potential benefits would be limited, and hard to justify in hard times.

Rather a shame Tesco don't operate airports, because then we'd get 'Manchester Airport T1 pier C Extra' dropped and rebuilt in the space of about two weeks!

planejamie

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:09 pm

I come from Manchester and it embarrasses me watching visitors from abroad or elderly pax struggle at those "down-and-up-the-steps" departure gates.
There's no lift you can use, there's no alternative other than banging at the window until the gate staff open the connecting door!

The problem there is that Terminal 1 was built back in the 60s and remained that way up until the BA pier opened (I think 1989) which is the older part of Terminal 3 (still is essentially the BA pier... the 141-143 gates) then Terminal 2 and Terminal 3. But as the later developments were built at a time when Arrivals and Departures were heavily segregated and jetways more common. I presume back in the day when you walked down stairs to deplane, you'd simply walk across the apron into an arrivals door in a corner somewhere. Obviously with the number of passengers now, that isn't possible and so it does involve a bit of a trek.

Quoting mainMAN (Reply 87):
Rather a shame Tesco don't operate airports, because then we'd get 'Manchester Airport T1 pier C Extra' dropped and rebuilt in the space of about two weeks!

HAHAHA! The airlines could earn clubcard points every passenger they get through there... EK would certainly earn a 5p off per litre voucher...

LGWflyer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 71):
Oh yeah thats right. LGW lost their daily QR flight, so they could do a second daily MAN service.

Well Qatar never that well here. Anyway it doesn't matter, I rather would see Air Asia, Vietnam, Korean, Hong Kong here. By the end of next year I cannot tell you how many airlines will be already/coming here.

And Air China have just announced they will be coming here!

[Edited 2011-11-11 12:54:22]

[Edited 2011-11-11 12:58:00]

David_itl
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 89):
I rather would see Air Asia, Korean, Hong Kong here. By the end of next year I cannot tell you how many airlines will be already/coming here.

And when slots become available at LHR, watch them disappear. THen in a few years, watch them appear at MAN in addition to LHR.

gkirk

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Quoting david_itl (Reply 90):

And when slots become available at LHR, watch them disappear.

I would have left it at that, rather than getting into a petty squabble over who's is bigger  
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

col

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:01 pm

MAN needs to look at making the place Transfer friendly, and pick up some of the poor Scots who have to fly via LHR. Now BMI is BA, the Star traffic could be interesting. If BMI Commuter goes private, just think of all the interconnection options with a free spirit.

It makes me laugh when we are quick to say MAN is not a SIN/AMS etc. It used to be. That MAN wins awards for the best UK airport, does not mean it is a great airport, just that compared with the rest of UK it is good. Why shouldn't MAN be compared with SIN/AMS/ICN. SIN is not a new airport, but it still ranks highly. It reinvents itself and the planners are forward thinking. At MAN the Planners seem to be getting bonus's for adding stairs/travellators for going up and down. Think bigger, spend £10 instead of £5, and see what the rewards are.

Luftymatt

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:37 am

Quoting GT4EZY (Reply 82):
QR didn't drop LON, they dropped LGW

LON isn't an airport if you really want to split hairs. The context for me was LGW, which is in the LONdon area. So it still applies.
chase the sun

GT4EZY

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:46 am

Quoting LuftyMatt (Reply 93):
LON isn't an airport if you really want to split hairs. The context for me was LGW, which is in the LONdon area. So it still applies.

Cross wires then. I meant LON as in London Area airports where as you, like you say, were specifically meaning LGW. Either way, few airlines drop LONdon for MAN but airlines, as we have seen, drop LGW.

David_itl
Topic Author

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:35 pm

There's a new website that has the beginnings of a brilliant nostalgic look at MAN. You can whet your appetites with the list of diversions shown for the beginning of January 1971

Daleaholic

Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Any news on Monarch's terminal move? Any issues? Judging by their facebook, seems as though everything passed off smoothly.

Mattuk

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Have DL dropped JFK-MAN for Summer 2012. I have been searching for the route on their website for next Summer and it doesn't show. I have checked various other S12 routes and they all appear to be loaded.

Anyone got any info? This summer they sometimes switched to a 767, so I thought they were doing well on the route?

mainMAN

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Quoting Mattuk (Reply 97):
Anyone got any info? This summer they sometimes switched to a 767, so I thought they were doing well on the route?

Who can say.......I doubt 2 x 757s is enough peak capacity for MAN - NYC. Unfortunately if you search flights for next year, connections through CDG and AMS often come out much cheaper.

Cipango

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 am

Quoting Mattuk (Reply 97):

This means that MAN has lost not one but two daily flights to NYC, as one of the CO flights to EWR has transferred to IAD. AA must be loving this! And to think AA weren't sure about keeping on this route!
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos