shufflemoomin
Topic Author

What Does A "base" Really Mean?

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:32 am

After reading an article today that Easyjet was considering setting up a base in CPH, I wondered what having a "base" somewhere really means besides basing some aircraft or crew there. As a passenger, does having a base at your local airport actually make a difference?

shamrock604

RE: What Does A "base" Really Mean?

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:41 am

Quoting shufflemoomin (Thread starter):
After reading an article today that Easyjet was considering setting up a base in CPH, I wondered what having a "base" somewhere really means besides basing some aircraft or crew there. As a passenger, does having a base at your local airport actually make a difference

Not really.... it may make a slight difference to reliability because having aircraft based means chances of having a spare aircraft are higher, but that's really about it!

A base is simply aircraft overnighting and crews living locally.

YYZRWY23

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:03 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 1):
and crews living locally.

Which also helps if crew times out and they need reserve crew members. Better they are based locally instead of being flown in.

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Viscount724

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:16 am

As a passenger, does having a base at your local airport actually make a difference?

It does if, like many business travellers, you prefer flights that leave early in the morning and return late at night.

gizmonc

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:20 am

A base is a domicile that has pilots and flight attendants that are assigned to fly trips out of the respective city and return to the same city. STL is not a base for WN but it does have 7 overnighters ( ac that come in and terminate).

Eagleboy

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 am

As a passenger, does having a base at your local airport actually make a difference?

In normal terms I would say NO. The pax don't care where the aircraft/crew are based as they just want a flight that suits them.

However as above having crew at a base is probably a bit more reliable in times of disruption that for pax located beside/at an airline destination/outstation.

I would also query a certain level of base in regards to quantity of fleet units based there. FR has over 40 bases in Europe, however quite a number of these have less than 3 aircraft based there, should this have its own term?

AAR90

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:39 am

In AA terms, no aircraft is "based" anywhere. They fly wherever they are scheduled and that schedule is determined partly by where the maintenance capability exists. For flight crew (pilots & flight attendants), a "base" is a "domicile." It is where the administrative support is located and where all trips begin and end. That's the basics with every airline having slight variations and even variations amongst the different "bases" of the same airline.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

skidmarks

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:06 am

When i was working for EZy, a base meant based aircraft and crews with a maintenance facility. This could be full maintenance or simple line maintenance.

So, for CPH i would think they have an agreement with a local maintenance provider to carry out regular line checks and troubleshooting/rectification.

Andy   
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

richardw

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:16 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 5):
FR has over 40 bases in Europe, however quite a number of these have less than 3 aircraft based there, should this have its own term?

FR's aircraft are registered in Ireland so their ultimate base is DUB.

shufflemoomin
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone. You've all pretty much reaffirmed what I already believed. I just wondered why news of a possible U2 base in CPH made the normal papers. I wondered why anyone outside of aviation would care.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Quoting richardw (Reply 8):
FR's aircraft are registered in Ireland so their ultimate base is DUB.

Their HQ is in Dublin but their largest operations base is London Stansted.

richardw

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 10):
Their HQ is in Dublin but their largest operations base is London Stansted.

Yep, aware of that. I was just making a comment about where the aircraft are registered, even though they operate at STN in a similar way to U2 but their aircraft are registered in EI and easyJet's in the UK.

Burkhard

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:28 pm

I means they all depart early morning, so you have to awake really early.

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 9):
I just wondered why news of a possible U2 base in CPH made the normal papers. I wondered why anyone outside of aviation would care.

It means some jobs created, making taxes and other income to other business.

GLAGAZ

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 3):
It does if, like many business travellers, you prefer flights that leave early in the morning and return late at night.

You don't need a base for that. You can night stop crew and aircraft for an early morning departure without having a 'base' at the particular airport.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

Dalmd88

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 13):
You don't need a base for that. You can night stop crew and aircraft for an early morning departure without having a 'base' at the particular airport.

That is usually the case in the US. The crew bases are many time at hubs. Most of the fleet overnights at the ends of the spokes and flys into the hub early in the morning. Some bases are focus cities that also see a round of early departures to the various hubs. Now a maintenance station is set up in a city where there are a lot of flights like hubs or where there are a lot of overnights. Some stations are just good deals for an airline. For DL a couple are SAV and CHS. Neither really have a lot of flights or a lot of overnights but the are cheap warm weather cities to operate a couple of 'A' checks every night out of.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos