kanban
Topic Author

Myanmar Map Error Or Politics?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:30 am

I spotted this route map for MAI that shows South Korea as an island.

http://worldairlinenews.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/mai-route-map.jpg

We're used to Middle East political map omissions, however this is the first I've seen omitting N. Korea.

777MAS

RE: Myanmar Map Error Or Politics?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:56 am

But visually, that "island" certainly includes North Korea in it! I think it's an error where somehow they detached the entire Korean peninsula from the continent.

LAXtoATL

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:01 am

Quoting 777MAS (Reply 1):
But visually, that "island" certainly includes North Korea in it! I think it's an error where somehow they detached the entire Korean peninsula from the continent.

Yes, N. Korea is definitely there. Certainly that map is not scaled properly, but I think there actually is a body of water (river) that runs along the border and seperates China and Korea. Which if true begs to question why Korea isn't considered an island? Now that I say that out loud (ok typed), I think in order to be considered an island it must be surrounded by either ocean or sea, which a river would not constitute.

MarSciGuy

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:13 am

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 2):
Quoting 777MAS (Reply 1):

Yes, N. Korea is definitely there. Certainly that map is not scaled properly, but I think there actually is a body of water (river) that runs along the border and seperates China and Korea. Which if true begs to question why Korea isn't considered an island? Now that I say that out loud (ok typed), I think in order to be considered an island it must be surrounded by either ocean or sea, which a river would not constitute.

I believe that would be the Yalu River...
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:22 am

So, if I am to understand:

An island is a body of land surrounded by a single body of water. Since N. Korea is not surrounded by a single body of water it is not an island.

A Lake (or pond) is a body of water surrounded by a continuous body of land.

If we have a world where on hemisphere is water and the other is land. Is the land an island and is the water a lake?

Have a great day,

PITingres

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:36 am

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 2):
I think there actually is a body of water (river) that runs along the border and seperates China and Korea.

You're thinking of the Yalu and Tumen rivers. They don't connect, and the Korean peninsula is in fact not an island. I can't imagine why the route map shows it that way. Weird.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

vv701

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:51 am

Quoting 2175301 (Reply 4):
If we have a world where on hemisphere is water and the other is land. Is the land an island and is the water a lake?

I do not think so. Continental land masses are not considered islands. The largest continental land mass is Africa/Asia/Europe. The smallest is Australia at just under 3 million square miles. The biggest island is Greenland at just over 2 million square miles.

It is all a bit arbitary. For example if Antartica is a continent why isn't Greenland called Arctica and designated as a continent?

What we can be sure of is just as all the continental land masses are surrounded by water and are therefore arguably "islands" is sense if not definition, Korea is no surrounded by water and is clearly not an island.

LAXtoATL

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Quoting PITingres (Reply 5):
You're thinking of the Yalu and Tumen rivers. They don't connect, and the Korean peninsula is in fact not an island. I can't imagine why the route map shows it that way. Weird.

Thanks.

HNLPointShoot

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:57 pm

It's probably a design error, unless it's continued fallout from the Rangoon bombing in 1983.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos