Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DeltaMD90

Will US Airlines Ever Enjoy VLAs In Their Fleet?

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 43):
Quoting catiii (Reply 3):
I think our pilots and F/A's would rather fly in profitability

How is it working out for you? 

(I mean outside JetBlue and Southwest, who are regional airlines with obviously regional aircraft.)

This is the second post with the same joke. Have you even looked at the recent earnings of the US airlines? Only AA didn't make money this quarter, and ironically WN (due to bad fuel hedging but not operations)

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 35):
Do I have a right to my opinion? Please tell me if I do not!

Yes you are but you start posting stuff that sounds very arrogant. In fact, this quote seems like you are passing it off as a fact and not an opinion:

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
or will our pilot and F/A fly in shame?

as in our pilots and F/As are flying in shame, not that you are ashamed personally. There are many great twin-engined pilots on here that fly with pride with great airlines and find you comment strange and insulting. Just something to think about for future posts!

jfk777

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 9):
UA should just order the A380 and come up with a top top product overall and win back all customers

United could have A380 in 10 years, they have many ultra long haul routes where it would make sense they operate only once daily or even on some route with 2 or 3 daily flights. Sydney Hong Kong, Tokyo, Peking, Shanghai, FRA and LHR could be A380 destinations for UA.

SonomaFlyer

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 51):
United could have A380 in 10 years, they have many ultra long haul routes where it would make sense they operate only once daily or even on some route with 2 or 3 daily flights. Sydney Hong Kong, Tokyo, Peking, Shanghai, FRA and LHR could be A380 destinations for UA.

UA historically prefers frequency over size. The fact they have hubs spread across the U.S. and the Pacific also weighs against a VLA aircraft.

I think it more likely they'll opt for a large twin (773ER/NG) over a 380 or 748i.

sjc4me

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 pm

And here I always thought VLA meant Very Light Aircraft. When did Light become Large?
Unable.

747400sp
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 50):
as in our pilots and F/As are flying in shame, not that you are ashamed personally. There are many great twin-engined pilots on here that fly with pride with great airlines and find you comment strange and insulting. Just something to think about for future posts!

Wow, I did mean to insult any pilots or F/A, I was just putting my feeling out there. A twin-engined pilot or any pilot should not be a shame of their jobs. To all twin-engined plane pilots, please forgive me if you feel that I insulted you.

mandala499

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 54):
Wow, I did mean to insult any pilots or F/A, I was just putting my feeling out there. A twin-engined pilot or any pilot should not be a shame of their jobs. To all twin-engined plane pilots, please forgive me if you feel that I insulted you.

Perhaps you and me should go and have a fist fight now!   
20 years ago, I was wishing that more twins would fly long haul, because flying quads and tris around were the norm... and boring! (it helped that the twins were newer and had better comfort and IFE, and of course, better scheduling due to higher frequency)... I mean, everything going long haul was a DC10 or a 747.. sardine can flights too!

But no, I did not think back then that Quad VLA pilots were egoistic megalomaniac pilots who think they're Gods from the ancient world when the twin pilots were proud bearers of the future...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 pm

From an ashamed twin engine pilot, I don't feel insulted.  

I hope you're paying more attention in your English/grammar classes than math!
Chicks dig winglets.

747400sp
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 55):
Perhaps you and me should go and have a fist fight now!

Are you sure about, I am a pretty big guy!   

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 55):
20 years ago, I was wishing that more twins would fly long haul, because flying quads and tris around were the norm... and boring! (it helped that the twins were newer and had better comfort and IFE, and of course, better scheduling due to higher frequency)... I mean, everything going long haul was a DC10 or a 747.. sardine can flights too!

Thank you for your reply, it is good to hear from a twin lover point of view.

theobcman

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 12):

I have to say this is all a bit crazy I can't quite believe what your saying here ! Twins are no way boring. The 77W is just about the best looking thing in the sky IMHO and do you think the folks at Boeing are not proud of what rolls out of Everett.

Twins / Quads there all good to me

DeltaMD90

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 50):

No, you explained yourself, I was just trying to point out why you got so much criticism, I just hope you learned. I am extra cautious posting on this site, I try and think of how the opposite of me would read the post and analyze any possible confusion. My biggest disconnect was trying to figure out what you meant about "taxing" until I realized you were saying "taxiing" (to tax vs to taxi)  

something

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:02 am

I know from crew at LH and EK that the A380 is the most prestigious aircraft in the fleet and that crew feel very proud about working it. In the early days, EK for example only let their best flight attendants at the time get type rated for the model.

However, there is one huge downside to it: The limited number of destinations you can fly to. Air France flies their A380 to 6-8 different places, in contrast to literally dozens 777 destinations. Same is true for EK, KE, SQ, or LH with their A330/A340 crew.

For that reason alone I would prefer to fly another, bigger subfleet of aircraft and obviously am not alone in feeling that way.

From an airline perspective I also don't feel there's an actual need for US airlines to buy bigger aircraft. US Airlines are inferior to every home airline of countries they serve, where traffic volumes could allow for such a large aircraft to be used. They will catch their passengers by price, frequent flier affiliations or by simply offering something their foreign counterparts don't, ie direct US flights to secondary markets. Neither of which requires an A380 to be realized. Therefore, the costs of maintaining a tiny subfleet to deploy on the small number of destination-pairs where an A380 would be cheaper vis-a-vis a 77W would offset the advantage in fuel burn.

UA and DL may buy some 748s at some stage in the future, but it will take some price-slashing desperation on Boeing's end for that to happen first.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

catiii

RE: Will US Airlines Ever Enjoy VLAs In Their Fleet?

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:55 am

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 43):
How is it working out for you?

(I mean outside JetBlue and Southwest, who are regional airlines with obviously regional aircraft.)

Actually pretty good. You must have missed all the earnings calls.

United Airline

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:09 am

Quoting SEA (Reply 45):
So true. Companies like AN, CX, and EK are certainly inferior and shameful of their fleets of twin WBs.

You mean ANA right?

AN=Ansett Australia which operated the B 747-300/400 and went belly up in 2001

usairways787

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:26 am

Somebody didn't have their Wheaties this morning. This whole entire thread is ridiculous. Let me see if I am understanding this...Simply because the U.S. operates twin engine aircraft over the ponds that makes US inferior? Your kidding right? The 777 for example, can be loaded up only to 60% load factor, and can still turn a profit. Now if I put a 747 on that exact same route, with 60% load factor, I then have to burn more fuel, for those two extra engines therefor causing my profits to decline. Silly me, I could have just put an "inferior" twin engine on it made twice the dough and bought another "inferior" airplane, but hey I'm just in the U.S. A 777 typical cruising speed is Mach.84, a 747 is Mach.85, tell me do you REALLY think its that much of a noticeable difference....tail wind my friend....tail wind.

Another thing to add on top of your quad engine theory. Almost ALL airlines operate twin engine aircraft, not just the U.S. Hell even freight companies are going twin. Why would they spend the extra money on fuel, maintenance, and all other expenses for two additional engines, when they can get better results in today's fuel prices? The 4 holer days are over, most airlines in here in the U.S. at least only taxi on 1 engine, so having 4 they'd have to taxi on two, therefor eliminating the idea of once again saving as much as possible, so that's another negative in today's atmosphere. Twin engine is where it's at, either suffer silently, or find a new hobby. I'm not trying to sound rude, but as an airline employee, whatever makes my company richer, keeps my job...so if they prefer two engines because they say it's cheaper to operate, then that's just that much more easier for me to sleep at night, not having to worry about my job.

US787

DeltaMD90

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:33 am

Quoting usairways787 (Reply 63):
The 4 holer days are over, most airlines in here in the U.S. at least only taxi on 1 engine, so having 4 they'd have to taxi on two, therefor eliminating the idea of once again saving as much as possible, so that's another negative in today's atmosphere. Twin engine is where it's at, either suffer silently, or find a new hobby.

I'll add that the day engines are powerful enough, you'll have A380 and 747 sized aircraft with 2 engines. Heck, the 777-300ER is basically a 2 engined 747. The only reason the A380 was a 4 engined aircraft was because it couldn't have been 2.

But do not lose hope. There may be a day when A380 sized aircraft need 2 engines, but the newest aircraft that hold, IDK, 1500 passengers would need 4.

PS: somebody tell me that this beauty isn't something to be proud of!
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta...d=e0d741e9fac2c15ad97efe24de1f53ae

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos