Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FedEx
Topic Author

Call sign ?

Mon Nov 16, 1998 1:01 pm

I was flying this afternoon with my friend and heard
the call sign Amerijet. I know Amerijet has B727 but
who are they? Anyone?
I also heard Presidential last night on my scanner.
Anyone know who this is?
I live in Southern California for your info.
Thanks!

RE: Call sign ?

Mon Nov 16, 1998 2:00 pm

If you heard them late one night, and they're not in the OAG (a little research on my part) , the 99.9% probability is that they're a cargo carrier operating late at night after the rush. It's the same thing out here at Willow Run,. Nothing happens there until 7:00, and then you'll see 20 carriers that no one has heard of shipping freight for the auto industry.

AA727

Scanner allowed?

Tue Nov 17, 1998 6:50 am

Are scanners allowed in the United States?
I got mine confiscated by the police a few months ago because I was listening to it near the runways of Brussels National Airport. Listening to a scanner radio is against the law in Belgium.
Ben

flyf15

RE: Scanner allowed?

Tue Nov 17, 1998 7:33 am

As far as I know, scanners are legal in the US. I have one, and I listen to planes going into Denver Intl. a lot.

Tue Nov 17, 1998 11:05 am

Yeah they are legal in the US! I have one too. I jyst carry it in my plane when I go flying just in case I get an electrical failuer I can listen to what every body is doing. In Socal you would have to fly to chino or some where were there is a non-tower airport or it gets really complicated.

David L

Wed Nov 18, 1998 7:31 am

Scanners are illegal in Belgium?

Ooops!

AA727

Wed Nov 18, 1998 8:30 am

Yes they are.
Brussels National Airport, March 1998. I watch planes on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon when a police car drives by.
"Hey you! Come here" the airport police officer yelled from his car.
"Is that a scanner?" he asked.
I said it was a radio.
"Do you know that it is prohibited?" he asked.
I said I didn't know and that I was not going to do this again.
When the police took it away from me at the airport, I explained them that I was using this just for my own pleasure, they said it was forbidden anyway. I said I got my pilot's licence in the United States and did not know that using a scanner was not allowed. That was March. Two months later I get a letter from the police: "Mr Ben Soriano, you are required to come to the police station next Monday". So I go to the police station, the officer takes me to his office and tells me: "Do you want to give your radio up?" I said I din't want to. "What for?" he replied. Then I explained I was interested in aviation, showed him my pilot's license, and I said I enjoyed listening to pilot's conversation. He said I could get a fine but did not know how much.
Last month, just after I come back from a trip to New York, I get another letter from the police: "Mr Ben Soriano, please come to the police station next Monday". I go there again, the same officer greets me. I tell him: "I think we met already". "Yes we have" he said. He then told me that I had no choice but giving up my radio, that it was totally forbidden, otherwise I could get into more trouble. I said "OK fine. I don't want it anymore"
I signed the paper, then he said everything was in order. He let me go, that was the end of it. After going twice to the police station within eight months, I still didn't get any fine.
Well, I did the right thing. I'd rather loose my scanner than get into further trouble.
So I advice you strongly this: If you go to a foreign country, don't ever bring your scanner.
I hope that my story will be a good lesson for you.
Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium

David L

Thu Nov 19, 1998 8:09 am

I appreciate the warning, Ben, but I can't imagine travelling without
it. Next time I'm in Belgium I'll keep it in my bag - it's probably
time I got a new one anyway.

In the UK it's technically illegal to monitor aviation transmissions
but the chances of being prosecuted are next to nil as long as you
don't do anything silly with the information. I doubt that the average
British policeman would give it a second thought in normal
circumstances - scanners are used quite openly here. The biggest
problem is dealing with people who think anyone with a scanner is a
weirdo.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos