Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flySFO
Topic Author

Hidden Tunnel Between LAX T4/T5

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:59 am

I did a search but found nothing within the last 5 years.

While waiting for a delayed LAX-SFO flight today in Terminal 5, I went exploring and found a hidden elevator that led down to a concrete hallway with absolutely no signage. After a few turns around construction walls, the space opened up into a bright lit, new-looking, extremely long, empty, and cold tunnel that ran all the way under the tarmac to Terminal 6. There, the tunnel branched off, one end turning left to presumably the T6 baggage claim, the other leading to an elevator that opened up behind a restaurant in the T6 rotunda.

At both ends of this tunnel, there were absolutely no signs or security. I knew about the old LAX south tunnels but was under the impression they were long closed. Was I supposed to use this tunnel or did someone not do their job correctly.

On a related note, what's the status with Terminal 6? That place is a mess!

je89_w

RE: Hidden Tunnel Between LAX T4/T5

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:26 am

When I was at LAX T5 back in 2007 I also decided to do a bit of "exploring", ended up in the aforementioned tunnel, and emerged in T6. No one said a word so I assumed that hidden tunnel was open for public airside access. Based on your experience, it seems like they've made no changes around the tunnel entrances or the tunnel itself.

[Edited 2011-11-23 21:29:01]

Ditzyboy

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:17 am

It all sounds very intriguing. I too wonder if anyone knows more.

Tomassjc

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:18 am

It has been there since the complex opened in the early 60s. Back in the day, tunnels ran east-west under the ramp and were used by connecting passengers between "satellites" 4/5/6 and 7 on the south side of LAX. I wandered through them many times as a young lad exploring LAX in the 70s!

Tomas SJC

usxguy

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:30 am

Isn't there a tunnel between 6 & 7 that's still used, or am I think of 5 & 6? I recall connecting from a Delta flight to United and using it.

LAXintl

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:37 am

Nothing hidden about them.

All the terminals on the south side T4-5-6-7 have under ground tunnels and designed to connect individual satellite rotundas from back in 1959 when the original terminal complex was designed.

Been multiple threads on topic over the years.
T4-6 Tunnel @ LAX (by RampRat74 May 5 2007 in Civil Aviation)
LAX T-5/6 Under Ground Tunnel Re-opens (by Laxintl Jul 3 2006 in Civil Aviation)
http://www.wwww.airliners.net/aviati...eneral_aviation/read.main/2753065/
LAX Tunnel (by FlyDeltaJets Feb 5 2006 in Civil Aviation)

AeroWesty

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:02 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 3):
Back in the day, tunnels ran east-west under the ramp and were used by connecting passengers between "satellites" 4/5/6 and 7 on the south side of LAX.

Airlines used to even station passenger buggies at each end. I clearly remember being whisked to my Flower Power Delta 727 once when I was running late. I just hopped onto the buggy at the end of one tunnel and said "I'm late for the New Orleans flight!" and off we went.

JQflightie

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:19 am

Quoting usxguy (Reply 4):

I know i found myself in a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong tunnel when i was in LAX in August, going between the UA and DL terminals.. it what white, cold and hardly no-one in there..... but a lonely Man and his Golf Cart shuttling people from one end of the hall to the other........ i thought i was in the wrong are :S

malaysia

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:11 am

I have used this tunnel from a DL 757 to a DL 764, was a tight connection so I had to run down it fast. can't imagine making it if I had exited security to get to T6

michman

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:01 pm

The tunnel only seems hidden because of the current construction work. I've used it a number of times. There have been a number of discussions of the tunnel on flyertalk (including the need to take the elevator down to it due to the current construction work).

deltairlines

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:10 pm

Quoting michman (Reply 9):
The tunnel only seems hidden because of the current construction work. I've used it a number of times. There have been a number of discussions of the tunnel on flyertalk (including the need to take the elevator down to it due to the current construction work).

Used it the other day - the line for the Shuttle was a good 70 people long, so went to the elevator, hopped down a level, walked over and by the time I got to my gate, they were calling my name to give me my upgrade.

breiz

Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:16 pm

DTWLAX

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:53 pm

Quoting flySFO (Thread starter):
At both ends of this tunnel, there were absolutely no signs or security. I knew about the old LAX south tunnels but was under the impression they were long closed. Was I supposed to use this tunnel or did someone not do their job correctly.

First, the title should read T5/T6 and not T4/T5.
The tunnel was just recently closed due to the construction work.
There has always been a sign that said 'Terminal 6 Connections' or 'Tunnel to Terminal 6' something like that near the elevator that takes you down.

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 10):
Used it the other day -

Did they open access to the tunnel? Is the construction work done? I was there earlier this month but the path going down was still blocked. Although I did not bother to walk around the obstacles and check.

deltairlines

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Quoting DTWLAX (Reply 12):

Did they open access to the tunnel? Is the construction work done? I was there earlier this month but the path going down was still blocked. Although I did not bother to walk around the obstacles and check.

It is accessible from Terminal 5 only via the elevator. The stairs are blocked, so most people that don't know about the elevator would just take the shuttle. It's a little bit of a winding path from the elevator to the actual tunnel.

Over in Terminal 6, the stairs had been blocked off during my previous few layovers over October, but when I walked over on Tuesday, the stairs and the down escalator were open, which was a change.

ba319-131

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Back in the day, tunnels ran east-west under the ramp and were used by connecting passengers between "satellites" 4/5/6 and 7 on the south side of LAX. I wandered through them many times as a young lad exploring LAX in the 70s!

- I used to do the same pre 911, a great way to get around LAX.

AirCalSNA

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:27 pm

It has been there since the complex opened in the early 60s. Back in the day, tunnels ran east-west under the ramp and were used by connecting passengers between "satellites" 4/5/6 and 7 on the south side of LAX. I wandered through them many times as a young lad exploring LAX in the 70s!

Tomas SJC

Ditto!

JAAlbert

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:30 pm

I recall these tunnels had different color mosiac tiled walls. Each tunnel a different color. I remember orange and green. Is it my senility acting up or did they once have some decor?

AeroWesty

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 16):
Is it my senility acting up or did they once have some decor?

Sorry to tell ya, it's the senility!   

You're thinking of the escalator walkway tunnels here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalatesta/2215394993/

The "tunnels" we're talking about are these:

gmcc

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Quoting flySFO (Thread starter):
On a related note, what's the status with Terminal 6? That place is a mess!

Terminal 6 should be all done by Summer 2012 per the following link.

http://www.lawa.org/laxdev/TravelersAlerts.aspx

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 16):
I recall these tunnels had different color mosiac tiled walls. Each tunnel a different color. I remember orange and green. Is it my senility acting up or did they once have some decor?

I think you are thinking about the tunnels between the satellites and landside. Terminal 3 tunnel is open and Terminal 6's tunnel opened in August per the press release below.

http://www.lawa.org/newsContent.aspx?ID=1464

Now it LAWA would open up the tunnel between Terminal 4 and 5 you would be able to get from Terminal 8 to Terminal 3 once the secure connectors between T-4, TBIT and T-3 are built.

AADC10

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:51 am

Does this mean the tunnel will be extended to the TBIT? I thought it was closed between T4 and T5. Between T7 and T6 it is the connector to frontier control and between T5 and T6 it used to connect DL passengers. Perhaps the whole corridor will become a sterile international walkway.

chrisair

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:02 am

That gigantic steel door that comes out of the ceiling sure looks imposing. I was in the tunnel a few months ago and some woman looked at it worryingly. I told her the tunnel was a nuclear blast shelter and that door was able to withstand a 50 megaton blast.

Do any tunnels exist on the north side? I've never seen any trace of them over there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos