Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MCOGVADCA
Topic Author

SQ SIN-ROK Question

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:24 am

I was at SIN the other day, and while looking at the monitors to locate my flight, I see that there's an SQ nonstop that day to Rockhampton. I focus on it long enough to see that it's not a one-stop or a codeshare, but the flight number (which I can't recall at this time) indicated that this flight was a) indeed on SQ metal and b) a charter. Does anyone know the purpose of this charter? I found it interesting that a city without scheduled service to MEL and one that doesn't have the strong tourist demand of CNS would get a charter all the way to SIN. Any information would be quite helpful, thanks! And, sorry if this had been covered before, I couldn't find anything with the search function.

allrite

RE: SQ SIN-ROK Question

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:29 am

It would be a military charter. The Singaporean military do a lot of training at Shoalwater Bay in Central Queensland. Just wrote a trip report with some photos of their Apaches and Super Pumas and last year we had their F-16s flying overhead.

MCOGVADCA
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:35 am

Ahhh, I see. Thank you for the helpful response.

Lufthansa

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:20 am

Did you see what it was? 772? A330? 744 even? I suspect it would have been one of their older birds because I'm guessing there would be some slack in the fleet there and being a military charter it will be fixed price/one service style for the entire a/c

MCOGVADCA
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:27 am

Unfortunately, I did not. I was rushing to my own gate and didn't have a chance to spy what kind of plane it was. My guess would've been the 744, though. Maybe someone from SG will have some insights as to what planes usually fly military charters?

9vswr

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:00 am

There have been a few Singapore Armed Forces military charters to ROK in recent days and they were all operated with unrefurbished regional 3-class configured B772s (12F/42J/234Y) out of Terminal 3:

22NOV - SQ8931, operated by 9V-SQE
23NOV - SQ8931 and SQ8935 , operated by 9V-SQF and 9V-SQC respectively
24NOV - SQ8933, operated by 9V-SQE

Hope this helps.  

[Edited 2011-11-25 03:08:27]

tayser

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:17 am

I'm more impressed that Rockhampton has a runway that can handle a big widebody... 2628 metres according to GC.

ROK seems to be the odd one out compared to TSV, MKY, MCY, GLT & HLI

[Edited 2011-11-25 03:19:03]

allrite

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:18 am

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 3):
Did you see what it was? 772? A330? 744 even?

I've read that 772's are used, but this may vary. I thought that the contract had actually been given to CX for a while but I can't confirm that.

You might be interested in the Central Queensland Planespotting blog which I just found. Apparently they will see an AN-24 there too.

allrite

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:25 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 6):

I'm more impressed that Rockhampton has a runway that can handle a big widebody... 2628 metres according to GC.

I suspect that it is to support the military uses. According to earlier versions of the airport website there was the suggestion that it should be an international gateway, presumably for regular passenger flights in addition to military charters. I have trouble ever believing that Rocky could support an international service when the airlines only send in regional jets at most.

AngMoh

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:45 am

This was blogged about 2 months ago:

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...oto-the-beast-and-a-maiden-at-roc/

It shows a Singapore armed forces chartered AN-124 in ROK and lists 22 chartered SQ 772 flights for a single exercise only. That is the problem if are a city-state and want to hold large scale military exercises.

AngMoh

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:49 am

And on a side note, it has been used as diversion airport for LAX - BNE flights....

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...rsion-season-again-in-rockhampton/

Pretty impressive to see a 774 in such a place.

ben175

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:09 am

Last September I remember seeing 2 744's parked next to eachother, both heading to ROK that day.

Lufthansa

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:24 am

ROK seems to be the odd one out compared to TSV,

Ahhh why did you throw Townsivlle in the mix there. TSV's airport is also an RAAF base and I can assure you I've seen lockheed Galaxies land there, and the big Antonov, DC-8s and 747s. From memory the main runway is about 3.6 kms long. It's hardly small fry and back in the day Qantas used to fly 747-200s to HNL then LAX from there. (before the flight was switched to Cairns)

Lufthansa

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:26 am

Oh and on the topic kinda related, I have seen MAS 772s land at townsville years ago too. I assume it was either a Military charter for the Aussie gov, for the singapore Gov, or (unlikely) the Malay government.

kiwiandrew

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:28 am

Quoting AngMoh (Reply 10):

Pretty impressive to see a 774 in such a place.

Pretty impressive to see a 774 anywhere. Remind me again, when exactly did Boeing launch the 777-400 ?  

infinit

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:17 pm

A friend of mine doing his mandatory two years of conscription, National Service as we call it, was on one of those flights. I should ask him if they got the usual SQ service  or if F and J were actually used. Too bad I did my two years with the Police force.. no overseas training/exercises!

RvXKaz

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:38 am

I actually did ticketing for the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) contingent for the annual military exercise in ROK 3 years back. Both Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines were contracted for the charters then. At that time, Air New Zealand chartered a B744 (ZK-SUH) and Singapore Airlines, their B772s.
Seats are assigned based on rank, so the F and J seats were given priority to officers first though the meals catered for were all economy meals though.
I was privileged to be on one of the Air NZ's charters and they fed the men well as two full meals were provided. The famed Air NZ lollies were given out as well. It was a perfectly normal flight with entertainment systems working and all, except the passengers were almost all men (and well, national service boys). Even the cabin crew were mostly male as well. As you know, ROK doesn't have the aerobridge for the B744 so we climbed down the stairs and walked from the tarmac to the airport. They didn't utilise luggage conveyor belts facilities in ROK so we waited at the airport to collect our luggage (or rather, for most of us, the standard SAF-issued kit bags) which would be driven over by the ramp staff. Then, as with the tight Australian regulations on certain products, everyone had to have their kit bags checked, which could take six hours given the full B744 load of servicemen. We arrived at about 8pm ROK time so most of the men only could get going to the campsite after midnight.

I overheard one of the Air NZ crew was saying that they would fly back to Auckland on Singapore Airlines after spending two days in Singapore at the end of their stint. I wonder if such charter flights are popular with the Air NZ crew.

It was a great experience over all, and I remembered the thrill of looking out of the window during landing at ROK and it was really dark but you could see the great expanse of desert that stretched into the night. It was a thrilling sight for a Singaporean on his way to the exercise!

senliture

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:45 am

It is not unusual to see some regional towns have long runways. They are designed for transportation aircraft in the event of disaster or diversion.

infinit

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:01 am

Quoting RvXKaz (Reply 16):

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that the crew were all male. Not sure about Air NZ but I know a few SQ male cabin crew would be more than willing to be working on a flight full of army guys 

Must have been really memorable landing in ROK before the exercise

zeke

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:15 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 7):
I thought that the contract had actually been given to CX for a while but I can't confirm that.

Maybe you are thinking of PX and BI.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos