Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BMIFlyer
Topic Author

Virgin Australia/Singapore Air, Alliance Approved

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:41 am

Good news!

The deal gives the go ahead for Full cooperation on marketing, sales, pricing and scheduling on Singapore - Australia flights and all connecting international and domestic flights.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/virgi...e-air-alliance-20111201-1o7r6.html

Lee

[Edited 2011-11-30 19:51:01]
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

peanuts

RE: Virgin Australia/Singapore Air, Alliance Approved

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:00 am

I've thought for many years that we will see some sort of Alliance shake up in the next few years (a few major carriers shifting allegiance that is).

So what are we witnessing?

A: an airline that takes "code sharing a la AS" a step beyond and commits a level deeper with "unrelated" carriers into "individual" alliances?

B: VA laying a foundation of something bigger that will lead to a few major carriers bailing on their current alliance? (e.g. SQ and/or NZ switching to SkyTeam in about 5 years...)

If the answer is A, what is the ultimate significance of a group alliance anyway? Just have everyone cut individual deals, when Open Skies and/or other agreements exist.
This "strategy" may also suit the Middle East carriers very well. Never commit to a "group", just cut individual deals, based on your own strength.

Is the "Major Alliance" dead or is option B at play here?

MillwallSean

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:07 am

At the moment they are doing A.

They have 4 such alliances now
NZ also with ownership - Star. For New Zealand. And for NZ to have a partner in Australia.
SQ - Star. For Asia.
DL - Skyteam. For the North American market.
Etihad - non aligned. For Europe.

One for each market.

Lets see if they make a play for SAA. Since QF and them have to end their little alliance what would make more sense than Virgin sneaking up and locking up a partner in Southern Africa.

With NZ having taken ownership in them I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up in Star eventually. Might depend upon what EY does and how important Europe is to them but that's my guess.
DL is easily replaceable with the new UA while replacing SQ and NZ isn't easy at all.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

BMIFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:21 am

Quoting peanuts (Reply 1):

Nice write up.....

At the moment they are doing A.

I for one hope they join * alliance in the future, they would be a perfect fit in the battle against OW.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

EK413

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:23 am

Quoting peanuts (Reply 1):
Is the "Major Alliance" dead or is option B at play here?

A... Next few years will be interesting to see how QF react to the changing market yet again... Will QF approach MH and merge to establish a stronger share of the Asian market and beyond or will QF sit back yet again and watch their yields dive...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

qf002

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:05 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 2):
Might depend upon what EY does and how important Europe is to them but that's my guess.

Europe is easily serviced through SQ, TG and LH. If they want to jump into Star then their EY partnership isn't going to stop them.

anstar

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:26 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 2):

With NZ having taken ownership in them I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up in Star eventually. Might depend upon what EY does and how important Europe is to them but that's my guess.

Liekyl means nothing... NZ hold a smaller slice in Virgin than the Virgin Group.

SQ owns far more of Virgin Atlantic and has done for 10 years or so yet VS are not in STAR.

ben175

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:36 am

I haven't looked much into this, but does this mean SQ will codeshare or interline on DJ domestic services? For example, could I book a ticket between PER and SYD using Krisflyer Miles?

qf002

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:40 am

Quoting Ben175 (Reply 7):
I haven't looked much into this, but does this mean SQ will codeshare or interline on DJ domestic services? For example, could I book a ticket between PER and SYD using Krisflyer Miles?

The approval is only limited to connecting services. This means that you will only be able to book a VA flight through SQ if it is part of an itinerary that continues onto (or starts in) SIN... You won't be able to book any flights, with point or cash, that don't involve SIN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos