Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VH-BZF
Topic Author

Sydney Airport Vision 2019

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm

I've heard that Sydney aiport plans to announce today a study into fundamentally changing the terminal set up for airlines & alliances. This would mean that:

Qantas and it's international alliance partners (OneWorld etc.) would operate it's entire operation from terminals 2 & 3.
with DJ and it's partners at T1.

Sydney Airport has announced its intention to commence broad stakeholder consultation
on an exciting new vision for the airport. The vision sees Sydney Airport transformed into
two airline alliance based precincts in Mascot. Each precinct would accommodate the
entire operations of a major domestic airline (e.g. Qantas Group or Virgin Australia) and
its international partners by 2019.
2. Under the proposal, the Qantas Group and its international partners would be based at
T2 and T3. Virgin and its international partners would be based in T1.
3. The new proposal would fundamentally change the way Sydney Airport operates.
4. The proposal also includes the construction of a new Qantas Engineering complex for
line maintenance to support the airline’s current and future fleet of next-generation
Airbus A380 and Boeing 787 aircraft. It is envisaged that the engineering complex would
be located towards the south east section of the airport.
5. This presents exciting opportunities for the Qantas Group. Although it is only a concept at
this stage and subject to detailed analysis and funding approvals we believe there are a
number of benefits. It could dramatically enhance the service we offer our customers in
terms of check-in, connections, lounges and other amenities.
6. Sydney Airport will now commence formal stakeholder consultation with all airline
partners, airport related businesses, agencies, regulatory authorities, government and community, before making any decision to proceed.

The proposal is at the concept level. If approved, it would deliver:
o improved customer experience through faster connect times
o more efficient airline and airport operations
o minimise flight scheduling disruption which has a positive flow on effect for the rest of
Australia’s aviation network
o provide an environment where services can be tailored to airline and customer needs
o continue to improve Sydney Airport’s competitiveness as a global hub
o ensure that Sydney Airport’s surplus capacity is fully utilised over the coming years.

Interesting and if it comes off, will make Sydney unique in this part of the world.

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

xiaotung

RE: Sydney Airport Vision 2019

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:06 pm

Would be fantastic for people transferring from international flights to domestic flights or vice versa and make SYD more competitive as a transit point.

jetblueguy22

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 1):
Would be fantastic for people transferring from international flights to domestic flights or vice versa and make SYD more competitive as a transit point.

I think it is too far south to really be a good transit point though. With airports like NRT you are north but also only a short distance from many major points in asia. To get to SYD you have to fly extremely south just to get north again.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

xiaotung

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 2):
I think it is too far south to really be a good transit point though. With airports like NRT you are north but also only a short distance from many major points in asia. To get to SYD you have to fly extremely south just to get north again.

I meant comparing with MEL or BNE, and also traffic to and from New Zealand.

That means QF and their oneworld partners will be in T2&3. What about their partner but not in oneworld such as MU? By 2019 DJ should be in an alliance which I hope will be *A.

VH-BZF
Topic Author

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 3):
That means QF and their oneworld partners will be in T2&3. What about their partner but not in oneworld such as MU?

I would think that ALL alliance partners would share terminals with their respective partners.

BZF.

Gemuser

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:49 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 2):
I think it is too far south to really be a good transit point though.

SYD is a MAJOR transit point for travelers from New South Wales, the rest of Australia and New Zealand, which is what Xiaotubg meant.

Quoting VH-BZF (Thread starter):
2. Under the proposal, the Qantas Group and its international partners would be based at
T2 and T3. Virgin and its international partners would be based in T1.

What about the rest of the airlines serving SYD, such as EK & UA to name two.

How I would envisage the split (I am assuming VA does NOT join an alliance):
T2/T3:
QF, JQ, BA, CX, MH, FJ, JL, LA

T1
VA, SQ, DL, EY, NZ, KE

Others and not obvious (to me):
UA, PR, TG, AR, AC, CA, PX, CI, MU, CZ, GA, HU, EK, UU

If VA joins StarA then UA & TG move to T1, but then DL & KE are looking for a home.
Needless to say this would be a very major rearrangement of SYD.
Opinions?

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

xiaotung

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:00 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 5):
If VA joins StarA then UA & TG move to T1, but then DL & KE are looking for a home.
Needless to say this would be a very major rearrangement of SYD.
Opinions?

There is still a sign that says Star Alliance carriers this way near the C/D arrival exits. I take it *A did some work in terms of co-location while AN was still alive. With so many Mover Under One Roof projects around the world I can see all *A carriers will stay in T1 regardless of which alliance DJ join.

NZ107

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:04 am

Assuming VA joins Star (which seems like it's becoming more likely with their alliances with NZ and SQ), you could add in UA, TG, AC and CA to that list. But it's quite obvious that it'd likely be configured in a way the current international terminal is laid out with one side predominantly QF and OW and the other side is Star, SkyTeam and all the rest.

I'd presume split by who handles their ground services possibly? But then that also causes a problem seeing QF currently does NZ check in etc.

What a huge overhaul if it were to go ahead. The place would be a complete mess for a few years (if it isn't one already). Good for those wanting to connect within the terminal but pretty hard if you choose say NZ AKL-SYD and then CX SYD-HKG or something along those lines which only A.Netters would be keen on doing..
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

VH-BZF
Topic Author

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 am

YouTube Link, just released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sv0IIVqZ58.

Looks impressive!

BZF

qf002

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 am

According to the cgi the current QF A380 spaces on the freight side of T1.

A very interesting proposal, and it's certainly fantastic to see that work is being done on making the airport more efficient/user friendly.

Putting cost to the side, though, I'd much rather see an all-new landmark building in the T2-3 space. The existing terminals are going to need a lot of work to standardise them and to bring them up to date anyway, and I just see it becoming a hodgepodge of styles and spaces. The JQ pier, VA pier and T3 are all very different spaces...

Other concerns. (1) Not convinced by the split International Spaces for the QF Terminal. Seems like some extremely long walks could be in store if checkin is over by the main area, but your flight is departing from the new pier off the VA end of T2. (2) Very generic looking building spaces. Would like to see something a bit more architectural, considering this is an overhaul that will have to last 25-30 years, and SYD is Australia's biggest hub/airport. Cost wins out I guess. (3) Long term car park -- isn't this located where the new mx spaces are to be built? (4) That QF jetbase looks vastly smaller to their existing facility -- have QF perhaps notified SYD that they are planning on reducing their mx needs?

Side note -- the airport authority certainly like their A380's in that clip! I count 4 SQ, 2 EY, 1 TG, 2 EK, 1 KE, 1 CX and the countless QF's. Also an SA)">AA 777 is visible in the bottom left corner of the frame at around 1:25... There's also an SA A332 at around 2:20 (I know it's all made up)...

vaustralie

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:08 am

Quoting VH-BZF (Reply 8):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sv0IIVqZ58.

Looks impressive!

BZF

In that video at about 1:26, is that an SA)">AA plane I see? :O!
And at 2:10, a SA plane!
I hope the beach would still be a good place to spot  

It looks really good, it would be great for connections

It says in that video they'd be in the terminal with DJ and it's partners  
a346

AusA380

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:44 am

Conceptually great idea, the QF side on T2/3++ looks huge but there doesn't seem to be that much space for VA domestic at T1, particularly given its growth plans. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

tayser

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 am

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 1):

transit to where? Tasmania or South Australia? tiny markets compared to Victoria or Queensland.

the trend toward Sydney losing international marketshare to MEL and BNE over the past decade is not likely to go into reverse - with more and more smaller ULH point to point aircraft going to be in airlines fleets in 10 years - SYD as a gateway to Australia is going to diminish over time (already is).

there is a distinct correlation with the loss of market share of QF and the increasing amount of passengers flying non-stop out of Australia from MEL, BNE and PER.

MEA

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 am

I know it's only an animation, but the the B737 looks bad in JQ livery... short and stubby!

Mikey86

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:32 am

Nice work SYD!!! As a travel agent I believe that clients will be happier with the proposed changes. Althought I have to ask why waste money on a curfued airport. Build another one! "The Great Debate" of SYD's Second airport is endless, I understand that the operate of SYD is privately owned but surely the NSW/AUS Government has to recognise the need for it. Maybe just the lack of funds that is preventing the go ahead lol.
mikey86 - Greenslopes, Queensland

EK413

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:16 am

Quoting Mikey86 (Reply 14):
Nice work SYD!!! As a travel agent I believe that clients will be happier with the proposed changes. Althought I have to ask why waste money on a curfued airport. Build another one! "The Great Debate" of SYD's Second airport is endless, I understand that the operate of SYD is privately owned but surely the NSW/AUS Government has to recognise the need for it. Maybe just the lack of funds that is preventing the go ahead lol.

Very well said...
Finally a revised master plan utilizing the empty space surrounding SYD airport... I love the NEW maintenance area located between the North-South runways 16-34... Nice...
Did I see SA aircraft at the QF/OW terminal   Is that a sign of the return of SA to the East coast of Australia lol...
Unfortunately this will be a short term solution in my opinion even though I can't wait to see the work completed in 2019  

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

tayser

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 am

but surely the NSW/AUS Government has to recognise the need for it.

on the contrary, the NSW/AUS government would be incredibly stupid to build a new airport in the boondocks to satisfy NIMBYs in and around the airport (which was there before them). SYD is one of the best located airports in the world (in the context of distance from the centre of the city as well as transport connectivity) let alone Australia. It's just always been configured poorly resulting in more and more people bypassing it.

[Edited 2011-12-05 03:17:54]

tayser

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:29 am

Another thing - having domestic and international in the same physical terminal is really only going to speed up the physical movement from one gate to the other (might shave 10-15 min off the gate to gate time) - everything else will be the same.

Inbound: Still going to have our country's tight a*se passport control/quarantine inspection to deal with, checking in for the next flight (although that's universal wherever you go) - and it won't be seamless on the outbound like in the US where you just "leave" the United States from a domestic gate (no outbound passport control etc).

EK413

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:49 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 16):
Quoting tayser (Reply 17):

Nevertheless this is a long awaited change and with airports around the world with combined domestic / international flights under the same roof it has been proven to be a efficient and user friendly way to travel as opposed to the current layout of the terminals...
Once again I can't wait to see these plans approved and earth works underway  

EK413

Zkpilot

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Is it just me or did I see Tiger at the QF/JQ terminal? Shouldn't they be at the other terminal seeing how they are the competition to JQ, and are owned by SQ (which is aligned with VA)?
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

VH-BZF
Topic Author

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 19):
Is it just me or did I see Tiger at the QF/JQ terminal? Shouldn't they be at the other terminal seeing how they are the competition to JQ, and are owned by SQ (which is aligned with VA)?

It's still a concept and I guess the former Ansett terminal - pier 1, would be a common user terminal for a number of airlines including JQ, TT and any others that come along.

I did note, what appears to currently be a very long walk for regional airlines pax from the enclosed terminal out to where aircraft are parked, however they may continue to be a bussing operation given the distance?

We certainly need a clear vision for our biggest airport and this looks pretty cool at this point.

BZF

musang

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Quoting VH-BZF (Reply 8):

Tiger, Jetstar and SAA 737s. Nice!

musang

EK413

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 pm

Quoting musang (Reply 21):
Tiger, Jetstar and SAA 737s. Nice!

musang

:D

It still gives you an idea of the proposal and the airlines would be stupid to oppose it... then again I guess VA would be the loser out of the 2 carriers... They don't appear to have that many bays at the current International terminal to sustain VA planned growth...

EK413

Mikey86

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:33 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 16):
on the contrary, the NSW/AUS government would be incredibly stupid to build a new airport in the boondocks to satisfy NIMBYs in and around the airport (which was there before them). SYD is one of the best located airports in the world (in the context of distance from the centre of the city as well as transport connectivity) let alone Australia. It's just always been configured poorly resulting in more and more people bypassing it.

Brisbane Airport is roughly the same distance from the CBD as SYD is probably just a couple of K's difference. Your absolutely right, SYD is in a great location, however the downside is the fact that is has a curfew, with BNE we have the bay to help minimise aircraft noise in the wee hours of the morning on residential areas. SYD is located in and around suburbs, basically poor planning by the "town planners" in the early days. If the government did it right they could build an airport on the outskirts and have fast rail connections from the Central Area and this will definitely elleviate the curfew and still be easily accessible. Obviously building a new airport with high-speed rail links would come at a bigger cost than the proposed new changes at SYD. But in this instance I believe it would be money well spent. In the long term if they planned it right and built a new airport and turned the old airport into a major residential and commercial area it could have quite a good impact on the local economy.

Who knows thats just what Im thinking which might be a good idea, not necessarily the right one.

Cheers,

Mike

threepoint

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 17):
having domestic and international in the same physical terminal

I can never understand why Australian airports physically separate their int'l and domestic terminals. Some cases (PER) are simply ludicrous.

Quoting EK413 (Reply 15):
I can't wait to see the work completed in 2019

Fingers crossed they start by 2019.

By the way, I'm no architect, but what's supporting the roof of that enormous Qantas maintenance hangar? Them be some strong trusses.

[Edited 2011-12-05 17:45:24]
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

PITrules

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:47 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 9):

Putting cost to the side, though, I'd much rather see an all-new landmark building in the T2-3 space.

Agreed, YYZ now has a nice consolidated terminal in place of two older terminals - in a space very similar to the domestic side of SYD

Nice work SYD!!! As a travel agent I believe that clients will be happier with the proposed changes. Althought I have to ask why waste money on a curfued airport. Build another one! "The Great Debate" of SYD's Second airport is endless, I understand that the operate of SYD is privately owned but surely the NSW/AUS Government has to recognise the need for it. Maybe just the lack of funds that is preventing the go ahead lol

The only thing the NSW/AUS gov't should recognize a need for is the elimination of the 80 movement/hour cap. The current runways at SYD can handle far more than that. No need for a new airport until this is done.

Quoting EK413 (Reply 15):
Finally a revised master plan utilizing the empty space surrounding SYD airport... I love the NEW maintenance area located between the North-South runways 16-34... Nice...

Wasn't that the plan all along?

In fact, this plan seems a step backward with regard to Terminal one. The only external change I see is a tiny 4 gate narrow body concourse extending from the terminal westward. The previous plan had a huge expansion of the terminal northward (over the location of the cargo complex) which would have had many more wide body gates.
FLYi

Gemuser

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:00 am

Quoting Mikey86 (Reply 23):
If the government did it right they could build an airport on the outskirts and have fast rail connections from the Central Area and this will definitely elleviate the curfew and still be easily accessible

Do you have ANY idea of the geography of the Sydney Basin? In order to do this you would have to go at least 160km, if not more, from Sydney and mostly of over very rough (=expensive) terrain. Even with a fast train the new airport would NOT be easily accessible. On top of that you then have the two airport problem, everybody will still want to use the more popular (close in) airport. This is not an easily solved problem, ask the UK government from the 60s & 70s.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

threepoint

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:32 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 26):
Do you have ANY idea of the geography of the Sydney Basin? In order to do this you would have to go at least 160km, if not more, from Sydney and mostly of over very rough (=expensive) terrain.

It would be more feasible to build a Japanese-style airport island. By 'more feasible', I don't necessarily mean very feasible at all.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

Gemuser

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:16 am

Quoting threepoint (Reply 27):
It would be more feasible to build a Japanese-style airport island. By 'more feasible', I don't necessarily mean very feasible at all.

Actually, probably not, due to the steepness and ruggedness of the continental shelf.

Gemuser

Mikey86

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:08 am

Do you have ANY idea of the geography of the Sydney Basin? In order to do this you would have to go at least 160km, if not more, from Sydney and mostly of over very rough (=expensive) terrain. Even with a fast train the new airport would NOT be easily accessible. On top of that you then have the two airport problem, everybody will still want to use the more popular (close in) airport. This is not an easily solved problem, ask the UK government from the 60s & 70s.

Gemuser

Fair point Gemuser, I know Sydney sprawls out quite a lot. 160km is alot of clicks out of the city and yes that is correct that is not really accessible. In regards to the 2 airport option. I was saying to replace the ocurrent airport completely. Turn it into a major urban precint, but obviously a suitbale location would be need to be selected before anything happens.

Cheers

Mike.

Gemuser

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 am

Quoting Mikey86 (Reply 29):
I was saying to replace the ocurrent airport completely. Turn it into a major urban precint, but obviously a suitbale location would be need to be selected before anything happens.

Not going to happen!
Flying to MEL or BNE it would take longer, even with a VFT to get to the airport than to fly the sector. The obvious solution is to keep SYD for the shorter domestic flights, then you run right back into the two airport problem bcause you run into problems of defining "shorter" & "domestic" and because it forces at least QF Group & VA into split operations.

Unfortunately it is too late for a second Sydney airport, the Sydney Basin is just too built up or the geography is too rough. The only real solution involves VFTs to reduce the domestic load on SYD. But don't hold your breath, I just can't see the political will to solve the problems.

Gemuser

tayser

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:02 am

SYD is located in and around suburbs, basically poor planning by the "town planners" in the early days.

Regardless, the idiots who live close and complain about noise from Aviation haven't got a leg to stand on.... KSIA was there a LONG time before the overwhelming majority of them.

Quoting threepoint (Reply 24):
I can never understand why Australian airports physically separate their int'l and domestic terminals. Some cases (PER) are simply ludicrous.

There's a slight difference here: having ALL an airport's terminals connected (MEL, ADL) and airports where terminals are not connected / harder to move between (BNE, SYD, PER).

The separation of use - domestic v international - is not hard to understand as its easier and cheaper to manage the facilities required in each if they're in their own 'silo', it's the historical disconnection between terminals in SYD / BNE / PER (although PER wont be for much longer by the looks of things) that baffles many.

Full international-departure-from-domestic gates doesn't occur here cos we're a tightwad country which is suspicious of everyone incoming AND outgoing.

[Edited 2011-12-06 03:04:10]

AusA380

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:30 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 31):
Full international-departure-from-domestic gates doesn't occur here cos we're a tightwad country which is suspicious of everyone incoming AND outgoing.

Although the set up in ADL is unique in Australia in that they have a number of gates (the ones in the middle of the concourse) that can "swing" from domestic to international operations and vice versa - making it very efficient. May be this is something that can be looked at in the new Sydney concepts.

EK413

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:29 pm

I've never understood the concept either...

Fingers crossed they start by 2019.

By the way, I'm no architect, but what's supporting the roof of that enormous Qantas maintenance hangar? Them be some strong trusses.

Fingers crossed too! It would appear some of the earth works surrounding the Qantas maintenance area have commenced however this seems to only be minor earth works altering the stand off areas...

Quoting PITrules (Reply 25):
The only thing the NSW/AUS gov't should recognize a need for is the elimination of the 80 movement/hour cap. The current runways at SYD can handle far more than that. No need for a new airport until this is done.

Agreed and agreed!

Quoting PITrules (Reply 25):
Wasn't that the plan all along?

In fact, this plan seems a step backward with regard to Terminal one. The only external change I see is a tiny 4 gate narrow body concourse extending from the terminal westward. The previous plan had a huge expansion of the terminal northward (over the location of the cargo complex) which would have had many more wide body gates.

Always been the plan to expand the International aprons and reposition the freight terminal... This is a totally new concept compared to the previous...

If the government did it right they could build an airport on the outskirts and have fast rail connections from the Central Area and this will definitely elleviate the curfew and still be easily accessible

SYD already have an airport capable of handling today's traffic and future forecast traffic, just one hurdle in the way... Those goose balls complaining NO AIRCRAFT NOISE!!!
We can't have best of both worlds... The economy relies on the tourism industry and the airport provides employment opportunity... Introduce a new airport and you will see taxes sky rocket to fund the white whale... Just lift that stupid movement cap and utilize the current infrastructure which is already in place....
The revised plans released by the airport operators certainly will streamline operations and efficiency...

EK413

Airvan00

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:55 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 33):
Just lift that stupid movement cap and utilize the current infrastructure which is already in place....

The movement cap is not really that restrictive. SYD really only has 2 runways that can be used independantly. Look at runway usage around the world and you will discover that if you divide the movement rate of an airport by the number of independant runways you will get an answer of around 40. LAX 160/4=40 LHR 80/2 = 40. Runways with more departures than arrivals will handle more, but it will always average out at about 40.

eaglefarm4

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:05 am

I believe this could be something to with the airport terminal leases running out in 2019.
I would also suspect that BNE may also end up doing the same as Sydney proposes.

Time will tell ?
tourismman

EK413

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:53 am

Quoting eaglefarm4 (Reply 35):
I believe this could be something to with the airport terminal leases running out in 2019.
I would also suspect that BNE may also end up doing the same as Sydney proposes.

Time will tell ?

I believe PER have already announced a combined International / Domestic terminal...

EK413

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos