Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gizmonc
Topic Author

US Airways Bumps Marine In SBY

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:54 am

US Airways Express who has headquarters in SBY, had just announced that they would board active military before all other passengers. Now a new recruit shows up for his flight and US Airways Express tells him he is bumped. See following article:

http://sbynews.blogspot.com/2011/12/...umps-local-marine-from-flight.html

Keeping in mind that US Airways Express is PIEDMONT Airlines and their heaquarters is just a short walk across the parking lot from the SBY terminal.

silentbob

RE: US Airways Bumps Marine In SBY

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:13 am

I'm not sure that bump is the right word, that implies he was actually there in time to catch the flight. A podunk blog that focuses on human interest stories probably isn't the best source for unbiased information.

ssteve

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:16 am

What's the minimum compensation for an involuntary bump now?

HPRamper

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:50 am

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 2):

Generally a $300 voucher plus a food voucher to use at the airport, and if the bump requires an overnight, they pay for hotel accomodations.

elmothehobo

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:57 am

Oh the humanity, that poor Marine gets to spend an extra night at home before heading off to SoI and MOS school!

Ass chewing aside, if he was bumped involuntarily, they'll be lenient. Besides, his report date and the start date for the course are (almost always) different. These school factor in that more than likely, people will show up late because of any number of issues.

Not the end of the world.

boberito6589

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:19 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 3):
Quoting SSTeve (Reply 2):

Generally a $300 voucher plus a food voucher to use at the airport, and if the bump requires an overnight, they pay for hotel accomodations.

Really, there isn't a minimum since compensation is based off the price of the ticket. The denied passenger could also chose a Take Flight Certificate which could range anywhere from $50 - $600 (an amount set by YM) Also, Im not sure it is policy to issue a meal voucher since they changed the Meal Vouchers this summer it seems like the only people now who can receive them is Star Gold/First Class/Envoy passengers.

Accommodated to Destination within: Compensation Due Not to Exceed
Arrival within one (1) hour of their originally schedule arrival time. No compensation is paid N/A

Arrive one(1) to two (2) hours after their originally schedule arrival time. 200% of the value of the passenger's remaining flight coupons or appropriate fare of the ticket to the passenger's next stopover not to exceed $650.

Arrive two (2) or more after their originally scheduled arrival time. 400% of the value of the passenger's remaining flight coupons or appropriate fare of the ticket to the passenger's next stopover not to exceed $1300.

727LOVER

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Am I supposed trust a blog that uses THERE instead of THEIR????
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

D L X

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:00 pm

This is all I need to know about the veracity of this story:

Quote:
Hey Joe,

There is a story on a local Marine that is blowing up on Facebook.

Blowing up on facebook?

Anyway, even if true, how exactly is US supposed to know that the flier is a member of the military before they show up?

bhmdiversion

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:13 pm

I'm American and support the troops wherever I can... HOWEVER, I do not buy this story. The SBY News doesn't tell exactly what happened, but I am sure everything was done in accordance with policy and procedures.

midex461

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Quoting silentbob (Reply 1):
I'm not sure that bump is the right word

Hate to argue with you, but bump might be as accurate a word as possible for what appears to have happened. His flight from SBY to CLT was weight restricted and, from what I can see, he was one of the last people to check in for the flight - scheduled departure was 6:50A and he checked-in at 6:08A. In a weight restriction, our policy, in simplest terms, is the last to check in are the ones that get denied boarding.
Point is, bump is probably the best word to describe that scenario.

Quoting bhmdiversion (Reply 8):
I am sure everything was done in accordance with policy and procedures.

I don't know how well the situation was explained to the pax - and I won't speculate on such things - but, yes, I'm sure everything was done by the book.
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

Rdh3e

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 3):

Not true in the case of invol DB. That sounds more like a voluntary DB policy.

Quoting boberito6589 (Reply 5):

Arrive one(1) to two (2) hours after their originally schedule arrival time. 200% of the value of the passenger's remaining flight coupons or appropriate fare of the ticket to the passenger's next stopover not to exceed $650.

Arrive two (2) or more after their originally scheduled arrival time. 400% of the value of the passenger's remaining flight coupons or appropriate fare of the ticket to the passenger's next stopover not to exceed $1300.

HOWEVER, in this case he was removed due to weight restriction, in which case you are NOT obligated to issue IDB compensation. We at United still offer this compensation, but it is not required. You can automatically offer them the VDB compensation instead under the DOT rules.

ramprat74

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Who cares if he is a Marine? He is a paying customer just like every other person traveling. I'm getting tired of the media putting Military people on a pedestal. These people choose to go into the Military. That's the job they wanted! This is not 1945, and these are not conscripts coming home after the war.

cgnnrw

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Quoting ramprat74 (Reply 11):
Who cares if he is a Marine? He is a paying customer just like every other person traveling. I'm getting tired of the media putting Military people on a pedestal. These people choose to go into the Military. That's the job they wanted! This is not 1945, and these are not conscripts coming home after the war.

Although I agree with you in spirit, the tone is a bit harsh.
A330 man.

kl911

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:22 pm

True, they work like anyone else. Nobody forces them to do it. Arent military personel flying on discounted tickets anyway? They should let them board last.

Btw, a soldier flying is air force, not marines  

cvg2lga

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Quoting GizmoNC (Thread starter):
US Airways Express who has headquarters in SBY, had just announced that they would board active military before all other passengers.

Do you mean allowing active military to board the aircraft first or be given a seat in the system first among those who are not yet assigned such. There is a very big difference. The number one rule of travel *should* be to always arrive early at the gate and give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination!!! Think of the worse and have a plan for it, should it occur.

Tchau

DA-
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

Rdh3e

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Quoting kl911 (Reply 13):
True, they work like anyone else

Sort of. The only real difference is that they are locked in for a period of time. They are not "at will" employees who can quit at any time. That is called desertion and would lead to jail time.

The length of time can vary, I think some ground troops as little as 3 years? But flyboys much longer, I think an initial commitment to become a pilot is ~12 years.

DeltaMD90

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 15):
But flyboys much longer, I think an initial commitment to become a pilot is ~12 years.

I think AF is 8. Navy is 8 (I know that because that's where I'm headed soon.) CG is 11 I believe. Marines 8 as well I think. Army I think is 6 (lol I'm not very informative.)

Yeah, this story seems fishy and even if it is true, so what, there are good civilians out there and bad servicemembers. Airlines do enough (IMO) for the military

jfklganyc

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:54 pm

I appreciate all that the military does for us. And I think it is especially tough in this generation, when it is all volunteer, when these wars aren't popular, and when young people (who were very attached to the Vietnam situation) seem particularly detached from their fellow young people fighting for our country.

That said, I also am not a fan of pandering: 1) Presidential candidates pulling notes/rings/dogtags from military personnel out of their pocket to score points in a debate 2) "Active military board first" 3) stories like this that seem fishy at best.

If you really want to help these guys and girls, raise their pay, stop multiple deployments to a war zone and take care of them and their families when they get home.

T5towbar

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 17):
If you really want to help these guys and girls, raise their pay, stop multiple deployments to a war zone and take care of them and their families when they get home.

Amen to that. The politicians don't care about that.
At least they are getting out of Iraq.

Sort of. The only real difference is that they are locked in for a period of time. They are not "at will" employees who can quit at any time. That is called desertion and would lead to jail time.

If they are commissioned officers, I believe the commitment it is 6 years, especially if they are in a specialized field like a pilot/aviator. For noncoms, last I remembered, it was 4 years until re-up time.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 16):
there are good civilians out there and bad servicemembers. Airlines do enough (IMO) for the military

But especially in this war(s) where the only people who actually "sacrificed" something is the serviceman/woman and their families. The gesture of letting uniformed military board first is the least we can do.
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

Maverick623

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Either we have one or more customer service agents that can't be bothered to solicit volunteers, or we have 30 passengers who can't take a flight 2 hours later to show some appreciation for this guy.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

DeltaMD90

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 18):
Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 16):
there are good civilians out there and bad servicemembers. Airlines do enough (IMO) for the military

But especially in this war(s) where the only people who actually "sacrificed" something is the serviceman/woman and their families. The gesture of letting uniformed military board first is the least we can do.

Common courtesies are always welcome, but the whole underlining meaning of "sacrifice" is giving up something without a reward. If we (the military) start demanding special treatment, I don't really see our service as sacrifice. Plus it's a private company, it can do what it wants. The fact that they give any special privileges to military is going above and beyond.

Quoting T5towbar (Reply 18):

If they are commissioned officers, I believe the commitment it is 6 years, especially if they are in a specialized field like a pilot/aviator. For noncoms, last I remembered, it was 4 years until re-up time.

Usually 4 years. Many scholarships are 4 years active + 4 years reserve (or active if you choose.) Pilots are definitely above 6 years, except maybe the Army. I wish the Navy only required 6! I'd be an airline pilot sooner   I think the Air National Guard only requires 4 years actually, come to think about it...

Back on topic, service members complaining about not getting special treatment is wrong. That is not what we sign up for. Consumers can choose to avoid a company if they think the company is wrong, but it is the duty of a soldier/airman/marine/sailor to stay quiet and not cause a public ruckus. Goes against (the Army's) value of selfless service...

hiloboy1

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Quoting kl911 (Reply 13):

Wrong, Air Force are Airmen and Army are Soldiers.

Mainliner

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm assuming this was a Dash 8-100, restricted to 35 passengers or fewer (out of 37 seats), due to either the zero fuel weight or a higher than average fuel load. The -300's can usually carry 50 passengers with full fuel and bags, so it's not as much of an issue. Yes, it's unfortunate that nobody volunteered their seat, but SBY only has a few CLT flights per day, and the company must always follow strict guidelines in this situation. I don't have the facts, but I'm sure the agents solicited volunteers, and when none were found, they had to start with the last passenger to check in.

It's not as if Piedmont specifically chose to inconvenience this person; the people who commented on this "blog" on the link really need to get a clue. If it weren't for PDT, SBY would have NO service at all. They want "Southwestern Air" service to BWI? That route didn't last with a Dash; good luck with a 737! Encouraging angry hunters to shoot down commercial aircraft? Yeah, that's cool.  
Every flight counts.

wn700driver

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

Anyway, even if true, how exactly is US supposed to know that the flier is a member of the military before they show up?

Why should it matter?

Seriously. Imagine if we showered this level of slathering onto the folks who actually do serve this country, most often without the massive benefits packages these guys get. Uniforms and guns are great and all, but I'd be a lot more upset if my local garbageman failed to do his job than I would if a soldier deserts.

It rarely does, especially in a time when we're not involved in any real wars. My contract, as a civilian --aka taxpayer-- is far more restrictive. The military just keeps you in. A lot of folks have NCCs that prevent one from using a specific license or certification (even if involuntarily terminated, which effectively cannot happen in the military), essentially locking one into that specific job, no matter where it may take you (I sure as hell didn't move to DFW voluntarily) for the duration of said contract.

Why would someone chose such a contract? How about paying off things like massive student loans that military folks don't have to worry about for starters.

Not saying I have a problem with our troops (though the profession is rapidly antiquating as we speak), and I even think there are some specialties that rate better pay scales than what's offered. But we seriously need to get a grip already and recognize that there are americans out there enduring far more profound levels of "sacrifice" to make ends meet. This vietnam era guilt hangover (and let's face it, that's what all this is really about) is getting nauseating.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

displane

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 7):
Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

Besides being in uniform...

US Airways offers free checked bags for active military on those on orders. If he checked bags, he would have to show at least his military id and/or orders and he can also use it as id for TSA.

He may also may been booked on a military fare.

Oshkosh1

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:32 am

So he calls his next command, explains that he'll be late due to being bumped...the CDO, or whoever takes the call tells him to take the next flight and life goes on.

Don't understand all of the drama...

During my years on active duty, I had to make the same call. Due to weather, I had been delayed in reporting to the USS Nimitz, at the time at PSNS in Bremerton Wa. No big deal...nothing anyone can do. I used one more day of leave and flew out the next day.

There was NO reason for the long ride whatsoever.

Had they simply called this would be a non story.
C-150/2, 172, 177, 182, 209, Beech King Air, Convair 580, Twin Otter, RJ, CRJ, ERJ B717,27,37,47,57,67,77. DC8,9,10. MD8

IntruderPC

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:47 am

quoting wnn700driver "This vietnam era guilt hangover (and let's face it, that's what all this is really about) is getting nauseating."
There is still a lot of guilt for this country to make up for to VietNam era and especially Actual VietNam veterans. I served during Vietnam and spent a year on an aircraft carrier over there in 1969/1970. When I came home and flew to Chicago for leave to visit my family, I was wearing my uniform. (Navy E-4). Walking down athe concourse I was spit on by a man and woman who were clothed in sari-type grab that Hari-Krishnas were wearing. Is this respectable treatment to a serviceman who is under a draft order and chose not to become a dodger and flee to Canada or some other place? They were protesting the VietNam war and took it out on another human being just because he was wearing a uniform.They wailed about their right to protest, yet I fought for the principle that gave them that right to protest. So don't legitimize the hypocrisy of the way VietNam Veterans are treated. I have personally run into many forms of discrimination and maltreatment from many other right up to this day. If I hadn't been born in this country and still love it DEARLY because I am an AMERICAN MILITARY VETERAN, I would leave and shake the dust off when I got across the border. Which is what I think you should do for the thoughtless comment and having others like me still endure gutless people like you.
Richard Dean VietNam Veteran US Navy 1968-1973
A-6's and Navy Air forever!!!

trex8

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:10 am

The service obligation for US Naval Academy graduates is 6 years AFTER earning your wings (usually about 2 years after graduation) if you fly. Its a little different depending on what you fly but 6 years for sure minimum for fast jets. IIRC Helos are 5 years and Naval Flight Officers(backseaters) also 5 years. The general service obligation for others- subs, surface warfare, Marine ground, SEAL, EOD is otherwise 5 years after graduation. About 40% stay on beyond that.
The longest effective service obligation is for the medical corps - 6 years after residency training - so 4 years med school and at least3 yrs residency after graduation before pay back begins. That means they will have been active duty 17 years minimum before their obligation is finished, might as well work 3 more and retire! If you do a surgical sub specialty residency you will be ready to retire! They will only send 10 people from a class of 1200 for med corps and you have to be in the top 40 of the class. This on top of an admissions process where 10x more people apply than are accepted.

[Edited 2011-12-15 18:18:59]

boberito6589

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:09 am

Quoting rdh3e (Reply 10):
HOWEVER, in this case he was removed due to weight restriction, in which case you are NOT obligated to issue IDB compensation. We at United still offer this compensation, but it is not required. You can automatically offer them the VDB compensation instead under the DOT rules.

US offers both forms of compensation even if it is a weight restriction.

woodsboy

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:47 am

I canrt speak for myself but I can for my cousin, an 11 yr veteran of the US Army. She says the general feeling among Army enlisted is that they really are not fond of being singled out while traveling whether it is some kind of "forced" applause while boarding, upgrades or other special treatment. It is widely known that not everyone supports the wars and the politics of placing military personnel on a pedestal whenever they are wearing their BDUs is also dicey. I understand most if not all of them would rather go about their travel in a dignified manner and not always have to be recognized, its a hard enough job already without having to play the part of a hero which many of them reject since they are all just doing their jobs. If you are late for a flight, you should be treated like everyone else. There are obviously the few jerks who take such incidents directly to Facebook which, incidentally is highly frowned upon in the Armed Froces since the airlines do a great deal of contract work for the US Government/ Armed Forces and to have a particular airline vilified for what would otherwise be a totally routine practice just isnt in anyone's intererst.

tbsspilot

Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:27 am

Quoting IntruderPC (Reply 26):
I served during Vietnam and spent a year on an aircraft carrier over there in 1969/1970. When I came home and flew to Chicago for leave to visit my family, I was wearing my uniform. (Navy E-4). Walking down athe concourse I was spit on by a man and woman who were clothed in sari-type grab that Hari-Krishnas were wearing.

My father served in Vietnam as well. He was hit and nearly shot down several times and had to carry the nameless remains of the last POW's who died in captivity on his plane out of Hanoi. When he returned home, he was verbally abused and had dogs sicked on him. Now he is moved to tears every time I am thanked for my service. Thanked by people who get it... who know what it means to give up a promising, lucrative career to volunteer for service; to fight for a cause bigger than your own personal gain; to endure the most abusive mental and physical punishment in training and in combat; to one day have the opportunity to give your life for others, whether they be standing right next to you, or on the other side of the world hiding behind a computer criticizing others. I fail to see how such gratitude is nauseating.

Richard, thank you for your service.

wn700driver

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:50 am

Quoting IntruderPC (Reply 26):

I'm sorry you totally misinterpreted my post, though I do not why that happened. To reiterate, what we see today is more or less, the civilian sectors' unwillingness to apologize for the treatment your generation received. So, we do the next best thing, which is to go to the opposite extreme with the current generation.

I've never protested a war in my life, & I don't know where on earth you got the idea that I was one of "those" people. In fact, I supported the Iraq war at its inception, believing at the time it would be a profitable mission for the country. I was obviously wrong about that.

I simply find it absurd that we call people heroes and go out of our way to thank them at every turn for doing a job that A. they volunteered for, & B. will give them a significant leg up on their civilian counterparts in life. There aren't many job opportunities left where one can get what they get nowadays with only a high school education. While I do not particularly disagree with that, I do not see either how volunteering for job with a huge benefits package entails any sacrifice. To me, sacrifice is more in line with what you had in the army of 40 years ago, or what would see a single mom trying to eek out a living from waiting tables than from receiving several thousand dollars worth of sign-up bonuses, free healthcare, college etc...

At no point did I, or ever will I, assume that today's military has any concept of what life in the VietNam era was all about. I do however, profoundly believe that the general public is totally clueless about the differences involved, and honestly believes that being overly solicitous towards today's troops somehow makes up for your experience. Make no mistake that I believe it does not; rather it worsens the disconnect. I also believe that the general public doesn't know the difference between a veteran and any other member of the armed forces.

If you care to reread my post, you'll see that we may not disagree as much as you seem to think.

Quoting woodsboy (Reply 29):
I canrt speak for myself but I can for my cousin, an 11 yr veteran of the US Army. She says the general feeling among Army enlisted is that they really are not fond of being singled out while traveling whether it is some kind of "forced" applause while boarding,

My own first hand experience from my time in the Navy suggests the same. I'm young enough that I can say it was just about getting to the point where things were headed in the direction that they are now, though nowhere near as extreme. I remember being offered a "special" rate through GMAC to finance a car, for example, that was also already heavily discounted on account of my "service." I also remember being floored that I qualified for that by way of taking a job that paid well, and covered my living expenses to boot.

I can certainly understand how your cousin might feel that way.

Quoting TBSSpilot (Reply 30):
I fail to see how such gratitude is nauseating.

Because it's misplaced, simply put. Not everyone in the military is a hero, and sure as hell people are not automatically "better" because they joined. For the record, my commentary is more directed at the general public at large than the military itself. I honestly feel that these days the american public will just about pin a medal on a ham sandwich as long as it's in uniform.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

Dash8Driver16

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:43 pm

yet more publicity for PDT iam sure Farrow is really thrilled seeing that he is retired USN.

thegman

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:29 pm

But flyboys much longer, I think an initial commitment to become a pilot is ~12 years.

AF is 10 yrs plus training, so about 12 years. Trust me, I signed that contract

Quoting displane (Reply 24):
He may also may been booked on a military fare.

What a military fare? Every time I have traveled on orders I've been booked as a Y fare.

wn700driver

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Quoting Dash8Driver16 (Reply 32):

yet more publicity for PDT iam sure Farrow is really thrilled seeing that he is retired USN.

Had no idea Steve was a sailor. I guess you learn something new everyday...

ssteve

Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:18 pm

What are the chances that the agent who was working check-in left the front desk before this Marine arrived?

I'm wondering if he checked-in at a kiosk and found no one around to check his bag, which then meant he stewed there until someone discovered him at the last minute. I've seen similar happen at small airports. The agent leaves to move bags around, or run a boarding, or whatever it is they're double-booked to do, and then return to the front desk to find the final few passengers arrived with 40 minutes to boarding. (Which is plenty at a small airport, provided the airline is staffed well enough to move you and your bag.) It just predisposes the agent to be ticked at you... except they then move you along and you're on the plane 5 minutes later because the airport is tiny.

GentFromAlaska

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:01 pm

Although the Marine was traveling in uniform. I have a hunch he was not in a official traveling capacity. Leave from boot camp to home and thereafter to a first duty station is considered personal or leisure travel. Had he traveled from boot camp directly to a first duty station/assignment, that would have constituted official travel. I would go as far as saying he was on some sort of super saver fare and the restrictions that go with it.

I encourage the military community on leisure travel to visit https://www.aftravelonline.com/home.aspx the tickets offered on this URL are forthe military community and generally less restrictive than purchasing from other on-line vendors. Many of the airlines also offer less restrictive military fare specials for leisure travel which cannot be purchased on the Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire Kayak,

Another option would have been to use the Navy's Air Mobility Command (AMC) . I suspect there are frequent flights between Quantico/Washington D.C. area and Jacksonville. The Navy also operates a large AMC terminal at Norfolk. This travel is space available and otherwise free. I suspect being new to the military the Marine was probably not aware or counseled about this free service.

For the sake of thoroughness I checked the federal GSA city pairs. The only award from SBY is to PHL on US SBY&arriving_to1=&arriving_to=&search2012.x=Search+FY12" target="_blank">http://apps.fas.gsa.gov/citypairs/se...g_to=&search2012.x=Search+FY12
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

usxguy

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:03 pm

In my past life, I was a supervisor for USAirways Express in a fairly busy station with U.S. Navy, Coast Guard, and Air National Guard people in and out on a regular basis. Because of a fairly short runway, we always held firm to our check-in time before we'd take volunteers, so if you weren't in line by cut-off you didn't get on. We had military folks on occasion be in that crowd, and after a few bumps to even "higher ups" for failing to check-in on time, we saw them showing up MUCH MUCH earlier ^_^ (I'm told a memo was sent out by one of the LT's at the USCG station to all the folks about his "bumping").

I don't care if you are the president of USAirways, if you don't check-in on time, you don't get on. You had 3 months to plan for this trip!
xx

Grid

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Would this sort of story normally generate headlines and discussion on this site if it were someone other than a serviceman traveling for work?
ATR72 E120 E140 E170 E190 Q200 717 727 737 747 757 767 777 A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 MD11 MD82 MD83 MD88 MD90

Dash8Driver16

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 pm

SSteve-

You are probably very right. Most stations i have been to that are small US stations are very very understaffed. I am not surprised that SBY is the same way. You would be surprised at the Cost saving measures that are in effect at some stations even the hubs suffer from this. Its all a bit ridiculous.

ssteve

Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Quoting usxguy (Reply 37):
I don't care if you are the president of USAirways, if you don't check-in on time, you don't get on. You had 3 months to plan for this trip!

The problem is the website still says you have until 30 minutes prior to departure, and this marine checked-in (kiosk, no doubt) at 42 minutes prior. (And then what happened? Who knows. My guess is he stood there with a bag to check until the agent returned and told him he was screwed.)

As I speculated above, the front desk agent may disappear at 45 or 35 minutes prior and go do... something else. It's happened to me. Who's fault is that? I don't fault the agent for having other things to do, but I still expect to get boarded if they come back at 20 minutes prior and I'm checked in and waiting for a bag tag. Telling me that I was wrong to show up 40 minutes prior to departure-- that's just another symptom of the "customer is wrong" mentality that I'm kind of tired of. 40 minutes is plenty.

GentFromAlaska

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 pm

You had 3 months to plan for this trip!

If you are referring to the 12 weeks the Marine spent in boot camp, negative. If a service member opts to deviate home after boot camp, those tickets are purchased during the last week if not days prior to graduation. This sort of trip is planned on a short fuse. Service members in boot camp are on a very short leash. For no other reason he/she could be held back for any variety of reasons.

crj900lr

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:19 am

Quoting midex461 (Reply 9):
Hate to argue with you, but bump might be as accurate a word as possible for what appears to have happened. His flight from SBY to CLT was weight restricted and, from what I can see, he was one of the last people to check in for the flight - scheduled departure was 6:50A and he checked-in at 6:08A. In a weight restriction, our policy, in simplest terms, is the last to check in are the ones that get denied boarding.
Point is, bump is probably the best word to describe that scenario.

Yep, sorry you were one of the last to check in so now you get bumped, don't care who you are, if you checked in when you were supposed to you wouldn't be in this situation. Put him on the next flight and move on.

Maverick623

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:23 am

Quoting CRJ900LR (Reply 42):
if you checked in when you were supposed to you wouldn't be in this situation.

C'mon people. There MUST be a "last person to check in". It doesn't matter if you check in 23 hours before the flight or 31 minutes before: last is last.

Get over yourselves.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

GentFromAlaska

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:47 pm

I don't care if you are the president of USAirways, if you don't check-in on time, you don't get on.

I adore what WN does in BNA and I'm sure other stations. I suppose it is more common as WN operates a focus city at BNA

I can't help but chuckle when I hear the WN gate agents announce a pax name over the PA system stating the pax has a very short fuse-timeline to report to the gate with follow-on "or we will leave you behind".

zanl188

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Quoting thegman (Reply 33):
What a military fare? Every time I have traveled on orders I've been booked as a Y fare.

If you traveled on orders and booked thru DTS/TMO as you are supposed to, you got a military/govt fare if available.

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 36):
Although the Marine was traveling in uniform. I have a hunch he was not in a official traveling capacity. Leave from boot camp to home and thereafter to a first duty station is considered personal or leisure travel. Had he traveled from boot camp directly to a first duty station/assignment, that would have constituted official travel. I would go as far as saying he was on some sort of super saver fare and the restrictions that go with it.

Travel between "boot" and first duty station is official travel, no matter how you cut it, per the JFTR. If the member elects to stop at home enroute he'll pick up the additional cost, if any.

Also Air Mobility Command is definitely USAF not USN. The Navy just operates the terminals on Navy installations.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

sankaps

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Quoting woodsboy (Reply 29):
I canrt speak for myself but I can for my cousin, an 11 yr veteran of the US Army. She says the general feeling among Army enlisted is that they really are not fond of being singled out while traveling whether it is some kind of "forced" applause while boarding, upgrades or other special treatment. It is widely known that not everyone supports the wars and the politics of placing military personnel on a pedestal whenever they are wearing their BDUs is also dicey.

Well said!   

D L X

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Quoting displane (Reply 24):
Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

Besides being in uniform...

I said *before they show up*.

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 36):

Although the Marine was traveling in uniform.

He was?

We don't know that. The "article" is extremely uninformative in that it offers almost no facts.

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 23):
Quoting D L X (Reply 7):

Why should it matter?

I don't have a problem with an airline giving a slight preference to men and women in uniform. I don't think they are entitled to special treatment (and I have never heard a serviceman say he or she was), but it is a nice gesture.
The point is, if this guy was bumped before he got to the gate, how was the airline supposed to even know they were bumping a military member?

Quoting zanl188 (Reply 45):
Travel between "boot" and first duty station is official travel, no matter how you cut it, per the JFTR.

He was on leave.

The "article" does not say much, and there is NO investigative reporting in it, he does say that "according to facebook" he was on leave, travelling back to the troops.

zanl188

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 47):
He was on leave.

Makes no difference, if he's on orders traveling between posts he can be on leave AND on official travel.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

D L X

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:25 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 47):
and I have never heard a serviceman say he or she was

Okay, I take it back.

Apparently, this serviceman DID ask for special treatment, in that he wanted the airline to ask the other passengers if any were willing to give up his seat. He became very upset that the US Airways agents denied his request to ask other people to come off the plane for him.

As much as I love the military, I think this young man has a little bit more maturing to do. Receiving special treatment is one thing, and honestly if I had been there on that plane, I probably would have given up my seat if I didn't have an immediate need to be there. However, I would be offended if a military person insisted that someone else be bumped instead of them. That's just entitled behavior.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos