Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Buyantukhaa
Topic Author

Aviodrome Museum Bankrupt, Planes Up For Auction

Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:25 am

http://nos.nl/artikel/324913-drukke-laatste-dag-voor-aviodrome.html (in Dutch)

The Dutch national aviation museum Aviodrome closed for good on December 23 after takeover talks that had been going for about a month failed. Its 56 employees have been fired, and the collection will be put up for auction. The preparation of the auction is expected to take three months, and if no investor is found in the mean time, the collection will disperse.

I was there on the last day and the collection is impressive, a flying DC2, several DC3s and some old Fokker vintages (e.g. F7A) and a L749, amongst many. I am confident that those will find new homes/hangars, but I don't see how anybody would take the 747-200SUD that is standing there, transport alone must cost a fortune and I'm afraid that one (and possibly more) will be scrapped. Although the 747 arguably isn't the rarest aircraft around. I also wonder what will be done with the replica of the 1920s AMS terminal. I suppose you could use it as offices but it'd be a pity...

The atmosphere wasn't suggesting that the museum was seeing its last day, it was very busy. I think what did this museum in was the new location (after 2003). Originally based at AMS, they moved to the airport of Lelystad, in the middle of nowhere at 8km from Lelystad proper without good public transport connections. Had they stayed at (or close to) AMS, it would have been easier to combine a trip to the airport with a visit to the museum. Even if land at AMS is too expensive, they could have done it at the east side of the airport perhaps. KLM and Schiphol had been covering the museum's losses but pulled out.

I hope they will find an investor and keep the collection together!

www.aviodrome.nl

crownvic

RE: Aviodrome Museum Bankrupt, Planes Up For Auction

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:33 am

That is very sad news. I am also sorry to see no responses to this posting. The aircraft alone are of extreme historical interest. Hopefully, somebody will step in and save this operation.

bralo20

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:51 am

Not all aircraft are up for auction, a part of the collection is owned by other parties and are not included in the bankruptcy.

Newark727

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:02 am

That's a shame, I've never been but it's always sad when "preserved" aircraft end up in jeopardy again.

LifelinerOne

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:46 am

The DC-2 is probably going to be saved by KLM. They are willing to pay several 100.000's of euro's to move the historical plane into a new society.

The DC-3's are also not part of the bankruptcy, they are owned by the Dutch Dakota Association, which is still active.

The same goes for the F27's, they are from the F27 Friendship Association, not from the Aviodrome.

The Catalina is also safe.

The Connie, however, is owned by the Aviodrome...

I hope, now that a restart has been axed, that the whole collection can be bought. It would be a shame to see the collection fall apart and that The Netherlands doesn't have a civil aircraft museum anymore.

Cheers!   

dstc47

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:52 am

This is grim news, the Aviodrome is a splendid place. I agree that the location was a little out of the way. Let us hope that the very strong Dutch aviation community can rescue as much as possible.

SASMD82

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:42 pm

What about the Fokker 100 and the B747-300? I am not sure if they still have engines, so are they reduced to spares?

DIJKKIJK

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 4):

Can not the DDA, F-27 Friendship Association and other historical aircraft restoration enthusiasts pitch in with cash and save the museum? The museum could have also run an online fund collection drive (People like me would love to donate). Sad that this wasn't done!

I love the Aviodrome. Have spent a few lovely summer afternoons there. Hope it does not go away!

CrimsonNL

Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:11 pm

Very sad news, one of my favorite places in the country  
Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 6):
What about the Fokker 100 and the B747-300? I am not sure if they still have engines, so are they reduced to spares?

They don't have any engines, at least none that still have usable parts.

MadameConcorde

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:04 pm

This is very bad news.

Talking about private money... I was thinking...

the Dutch royals are full of money. It is said that the Queen and daughter (I forgot theor names) have booked themselves to be among the first passengers to fly on the Virgin Galactic toy suborbital ride.

Couldn't they support the Aviodrome museum financially instead? It would be like a tiny drop of water in the royal family bank accounts.

bralo20

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 8):

They don't have any engines, at least none that still have usable parts.

The Boeing 747-206M PH-BUK has engines I think?

tcasalert

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Such a shame, the Aviodrome is a wonderful place to visit when in AMS, one of those rare museums with a decent civil aviation section.

We can only hope the aircraft go to good homes.

[Edited 2011-12-26 06:42:32]

76er

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Perhaps time to merge the operation into the new military air museum at Soesterberg. A lot more centrally located.

By the way, Queen Beatrix has no daughter, just three sons.  

peanuts

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:57 pm

Lelystad???

'nuff said!

Location, location, location. (=accessibility).

Probably should be classified as the more boneheaded decisions made by people who mean well.

Dutch people love transportation and all that goes with it. That's not the reason.

[Edited 2011-12-26 07:08:03]

ptrjong

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 13):

Lelystad is a mere 60 km from Amsterdam, that ought not to be too far especially for a people who love transportation as you say.

The move to a smaller airfield was a good one, but should have resulted in a 'flying museum'. Flying activity at Lelystad could not really be observed from the museum grounds, and flying activity at the museum itself was very limited, partially because the strictness of Dutch rules on historic aviation I'm sure.

The park was more aimed at families with children than serious geeks, which is fine in itself, but as a fairly frequent visitor to the museum, I really had no warm feelings towards it. Expensive parking in an area with plenty of room, frustratingly slow ticketing procedures, an outside area that looks more like a fun fair than an aviation museum, fairly poor opportunities for photography both inside and outside, and poor communication by the management about visiting historic aicraft.

One time I waited a full day for a group of visiting light aircraft from Germany, and when they finally arrived shortly before closing time, museum staff would not allow me to take a few photos on the apron, even though there were plenty of staff around. In short, I don't think customers were paid attention to.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter De Jong

LifelinerOne

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 7):
Can not the DDA, F-27 Friendship Association and other historical aircraft restoration enthusiasts pitch in with cash and save the museum?

No, they all combined their forces to survive. The FFA is low on funds, the DDA is doing marginally better, but not enough for buying the Aviodrome and it's collection. The costs to maintain their own fleets are already high.

Let's wait and see what's going to happen in the next few weeks. Numerous rumors are floating around, but only time will tell.

Cheers!   

tokolosh

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:22 pm

As I understand it the museum as such was not in trouble but the facilities at the Aviodrome (conference rooms, etc) were not attracting enough customers and causing an overall loss. Why can't they just separate the two?

Okie

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Quoting Buyantukhaa (Thread starter):
Its 56 employees have been fired,

56 employees is a massive amount of overhead.

I have no earthly idea their salaries but I would guess a starting point of about $2M USD per year.
That in itself will be a stumbling block, much less utilities and rent.

Okie

aviopic

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:42 pm

I wasn't going to post but since about 8 years of my work and sweat are down the drain I guess I am entitled to so.

The DC-2 is probably going to be saved by KLM.

Nothing but a Televaag message, the figure mentioned was absurd aswell.

They are willing to pay several 100.000's of euro's to move the historical plane into a new society.

You are mixing up 2 things namely, KLM and Paying........... hahaha  
There is one exeption though which I mention below.

The same goes for the F27's, they are from the F27 Friendship Association, not from the Aviodrome.

Incorrect, the FFA doesn't have any money as you mentioned yourself.
The a/c belongs to the Fokker Heritage Flight in which the FFA is only a small contender.

The Connie, however, is owned by the Aviodrome...

As far as I know that wasn't the case, guess someone screwed up if it is.

Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 6):

All engines are present but all incomplete, which doesn't matter that much obviously
The B742(not -300) engines are fitted, the F100 engines are in the hangar.

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 15):
The FFA is low on funds, the DDA is doing marginally better

The FFA isn't much more than a website and a few good willing people.
The only reason that the DDA still exist is called KLM and in particular their yearly donation which was this year 250.000 EU.

LifelinerOne

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:45 am

Quoting aviopic (Reply 18):
You are mixing up 2 things namely, KLM and Paying........... hahaha

Yeah, I know. However, I am hearing some positive sounds around the grapevine about this.

Incorrect, the FFA doesn't have any money as you mentioned yourself.
The a/c belongs to the Fokker Heritage Flight in which the FFA is only a small contender.

Yes, I always seem to mix up the FFA and FHT. However, I wanted to say that the F27's weren't owned by the Aviodrome.

As far as I know that wasn't the case, guess someone screwed up if it is.

The plane is registred by the Aircraft Guaranty Corp Trustee in Texas. The bill for that is being paid by the Aviodrome as far as I know. I do know, that the ownership of the plane was transferred from the Stichting Constellation Nederland to the Aviodrome somewhere in 2003. I hope you're right that the plane isn't owned by the Aviodrome, would be a shame to loose it trough an auction or something...

Cheers!   

ptrjong

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:39 pm

Quoting tokolosh (Reply 16):
As I understand it the museum as such was not in trouble but the facilities at the Aviodrome (conference rooms, etc) were not attracting enough customers and causing an overall loss. Why can't they just separate the two?

Er, the converence rooms etc didn't cause the loss, they didn't yield enough to cover the overall losses. Which means the core activity simply didn't attract enough people, but they don't like to say that.

aviopic

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Quoting LifelinerOne (Reply 19):
I wanted to say that the F27's weren't owned by the Aviodrome.

The are probably co-owned by the Aviodrome, I don't know about percentages though.
I hope that all Fokker's are in the thrust including the Fokker archive which holds tens of thousands photo's, slide's, negatives, movies, manuals, drawings.................... you name it.

What the possible co-ownership means for the law I don't know.

Also I do not know what the current management has done to un-do all that was done by the previous management.

The plane is registred by the Aircraft Guaranty Corp Trustee in Texas.

I know, all US registered aircraft are registered at the trustee as this is required to operate an US registered a/c over here.
Still the bill might be paid by a foundation.

petertenthije

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Yes, I always seem to mix up the FFA and FHT.

Does the FHT still exist? I read on some forum (sorry, lost the link) that the FHT was dissolved and their assets transferred to the Aviodrome. In that case the (former) FHT's planes and the archives would be up for auction as well.

aviopic

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 22):
Does the FHT still exist? I read on some forum (sorry, lost the link) that the FHT was dissolved and their assets transferred to the Aviodrome.

Not sure about FHT as I left about 2.5 year ago.
A short while ago however I talked to someone who ensured me that the transfer has never been formalized.
It would really suck if the archive got ripped apart, there should be a law to prevent this from happening.

LifelinerOne

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:33 am

Quoting petertenthije (Reply 22):
Does the FHT still exist? I read on some forum (sorry, lost the link) that the FHT was dissolved and their assets transferred to the Aviodrome.

The Stichting Fokker Heritage Trust was co-founded by the Stichting Fokker Friendship Association and the Aviodrome. Both are 50% partners in the Stichting.

Don't know what that means now that half of the Stichting has gone bankrupt...

Cheers!   

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos