darthluke12694
Topic Author

Unclaimed Cell Phone Causes Flight To Divert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:44 am

An American Eagle flight 4624 from BNA to LGA had to divert to RDU because a person failed to claim two cell phones that he left in the lavatory. The pilot requested the person be removed from the plane.

There isn't much more information then that. The FBI and TSA are investigating.

First of all, why in the world would the person not claim the two cell phones (why does the person even have two cell phones?). Second, why did the flight divert? I would assume it would be a security threat.... Third, how did the flight attendant know whose cell phone it is? It was probably a small plane since it came from BNA but there is no way to know for sure it was that specific person.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/16...s-cause-nashville-flight-to-divert

http://www.wsmv.com/story/16439961/f...hville-diverted-passenger-detained

Note: One article says it is a man, one says it is a women.
KBNA - "To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."

qqflyboy

RE: Unclaimed Cell Phone Causes Flight To Divert

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:06 am

According to ABC11 in Raleigh, it was a female passenger. Apparently she didnt identify herself as the owner of the phones when they were found, and the pilots diverted for safety. Once the diversion was announced, the women came forward but was behaving oddly. After being interviewed by TSA and the FBI, the women required medical attention. Details are still coming in, so facts are sketchy for now. Strange story, but likely nothing serious. BTW, the a/c was a CR7, and landed at LGA at 23:46 local. The plane spent about an hour and a half on the ground in Raleigh.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:18 am

Strange behavious in todays times of Aviation.....cant blame the crew in this case.....It was an odd situation.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

cygnuschicago

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:10 am

Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 1):
After being interviewed by TSA and the FBI, the women required medical attention

Also known as "setting up for a prime-time appearance on Primetime-News-Network-of-Choice regarding airline harrassment, followed by mult-million dollar frivolous lawsuit against airline"
If you cannot do the math, your opinion means squat!

dc9northwest

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:14 am

Quoting darthluke12694 (Thread starter):
why does the person even have two cell phones?

What's so weird about that???

wdleiser

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:24 am

Quoting cygnuschicago (Reply 3):

Ehh, this one sounds more like she was too embarrassed to claim the phones in front of everyone on board the aircraft and then during questioning became extremely nervous in fear of getting in trouble with authorities. Reall do not see this one making it to a court in anyway.

And on the topic of two cell phones....... One for work... one for personal use perhaps?

quiet1

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Quoting darthluke12694 (Thread starter):
..why does the person even have two cell phones?
Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 4):

Nothing weird about owning two cell phones, per se, but don't you find it strange to take two cell phones into an airplane lav? Not to mention, "forgetting" both of them?

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Quoting quiet1 (Reply 6):
Nothing weird about owning two cell phones, per se, but don't you find it strange to take two cell phones into an airplane lav?

I'll confess to carrying both of my phones with me many times, including to the lav. Forgetting them? Maybe not so much.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mikect

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Same problem, same day on an AF flight out of IAH.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/stra...-to-return-to-houston-20120104-NCX

Funny that the article mentions some random return to Paris last month for a minor issue, completely unrelated to anything.

dc9northwest

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Nothing weird about owning two cell phones, per se, but don't you find it strange to take two cell phones into an airplane lav? Not to mention, "forgetting" both of them?

Forgetting stuff in the lav is common... someone forgot their watch in there on my AMS-ORD flight today... 2 cell phones? Well I guess it's not an everyday thing but I don't think it's any more weird than forgetting one of them (I'd place one on top of the other).

Not claiming said phones, however, is suspicious.

darthluke12694
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:43 am

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 4):

It's not necessarily weird, I just don't see many people carrying more than one cell phone, but maybe it is more common than I thought.

I think the pilot made the right choice in diverting, because who knows what the cell phones could be used for....
KBNA - "To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."

zippyjet

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):

Strange behavious in todays times of Aviation.....cant blame the crew in this case.....It was an odd situation.

Don't make an ASS out of U and Me. The Crew did the right thing.

Quoting cygnuschicago (Reply 3):
Also known as "setting up for a prime-time appearance on Primetime-News-Network-of-Choice regarding airline harrassment, followed by mult-million dollar frivolous lawsuit against airline"

Chances are good for this. Same with the story about the family claiming they were wronged on US regarding their kids.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 9):
Forgetting stuff in the lav is common... someone forgot their watch in there on my AMS-ORD flight today... 2 cell phones? Well I guess it's not an everyday thing but I don't think it's any more weird than forgetting one of them (I'd place one on top of the other).

Not claiming said phones, however, is suspicious.

Especially during the Summer and Holiday seasons, a flight where someone doesn't leave or lose something is the exception not the rule. (Masses who are not experienced passengers and freak out when they fly) As an ex supervisor used to say: When people enter the airport there's s force that sucks up their limited brain matter
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

liftsifter

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:50 am

It's possible that she may have had a light stroke. I had a family member who had a light stroke once. They could walk and talk fine, but would forget anything and everything, and acted more jittery than normally. We'll just have to wait for more details.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

b6a322

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:53 am

For those calling into doubt the crew's decision to divert, I can really only think of one thing, which is:

You are on what is essentially a regional aircraft, in flight, long after your cell phone is supposed to have been switched off or placed in airplane mode. IMO, to bring even one phone into the lav at that point (unless you keep it in your pocket all the time) is slightly suspicious. I mean, what are you going to do in there that you can't do at your seat anyway? Cursing at a game of angrybirds? Technology, as amazing as it is today can be used in vicious ways, including, but not limited to cell phone bombs. From what I understand you'd need one to detonate the other, and so therefore two cell phones in a lav becomes slightly very suspicious when not claimed.

Mildly sensationalist or far fetched? Maybe. But crews ultimately do have to think about the worst case scenario when making their decisions.
The content I post are my own thoughts, nothing more. :)

arffdude

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:17 am

Just going by the headline, I was going to say that this was pretty silly. Cell phones get left behind on planes everyday and they don't always get caught between flights. But 2 phones, in the lav, with the (supposedly) known owner not claiming them does seem more than a little bit strange. I don't blame them for diverting.

tharanga

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:17 am

Quoting B6A322 (Reply 13):
IMO, to bring even one phone into the lav at that point (unless you keep it in your pocket all the time) is slightly suspicious.

and how do you know this person didn't keep them in her pocket all the time? I keep my two phones in my pocket during flights, and wouldn't bother taking them out just because I went to the lav. This is getting too speculative, given that we don't know much.

It does seem weird that the person didn't claim them when asked, but let's be honest, it's a weird story and we don't know much.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos