Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

Asia-Pacific LCCs Started By Traditional Airlines

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:32 pm

For fun, which LCCs from Asia-Pacific conventional airlines have there been? So far, I can think of the following. Can anyone think of more?

Air India Express - 100% owned by AI
Jet Konnect - 100% owned by 9W
Jetlite - 100% owned by 9W
Kingfisher Red (originally Air Deccan and then Simplify Deccan with Kingfisher) - is it actually separate to IT?
Mihin Lanka only kind of – it and Sri Lankan are 100% owned by the Sri Lankan government
Nok Air - only 49% owned by Thai
Thai Smile - Thai’s proposed LCC
Firefly (regional/LCC) - 100% owned by MH
Tiger - 100% owned by Tiger Airways Holdings, which itself is 32.84% owned by SQ
Scoot - 100% ownd by SQ
Citilink - 100% owned by GA
Jetstar - 100% owned by QF
Freedom Air - from NZ
Air Busan - only 46% held by Asiana
Jin Air - 100% owned by KE
Air Japan - 100% owned by NH, but unusual set-up*
JAL Express - 100% owned by JL
Peach - only 33.4% owned by NH

In addition, and in terms of joint ventures between a LCC and an conventional carrier, there are the likes of forthcoming Jetstar Japan and AirAsia Japan, both with partial ownership from JL (42%) and NH (67%) respectively.

* Per ATI: "Low-cost subsidiary of All Nippon Airways operating scheduled services from Tokyo and Osaka, as well as seasonal charters to destinations in mainland China, Guam, Hawaii, Hong Kong and South Korea, using aircraft transferred in as required from and flown by the parent carrier."

[Edited 2012-01-04 10:26:19]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

zkncj

RE: Asia-Pacific LCCs Started By Traditional Airlines

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Thread starter):
Freedom Air - from NZ

Freedom Air, got merged back into NZ in 2006.

NZ now operates it Trans-Tasman & Pacific Island services, in a budget airline format. They no longer provide free meals & checked baggage.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Quoting zkncj (Reply 1):
Freedom Air, got merged back into NZ in 2006.

Doesn't matter if they still exist or not (I knew Freedom wasn't still alive). They maybe dead, in existence, or proposed.

[Edited 2012-01-04 10:28:21]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

tayser

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Jetstar (JQ) is 100% QF sub
Jetstar Asia (3K / Singapore based) is a QF brainchild, but not 100% owned by them owing to local ownership restrictions

Akiestar

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Airphil Express - 100% owned by PR, but not started by them: they were bought out by PR a few years ago

BasilFawlty

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:39 pm

One-Two-Go - the now discontinued LCC brand of Orient Thai
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks, folks. Keep them coming.

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 4):

Airphil Express - 100% owned by PR, but not started by them: they were bought out by PR a few years ago

Aha, thanks. ATI says: "Rebranded as Airphil Express on 28 March 2010, after taking over the fleet and operations of Philippine Airlines’ domestic carrier, PAL Express."

Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 5):
One-Two-Go - the now discontinued LCC brand of Orient Thai

Ah, yes. In fact, I flew One-Two-GO between BKK and CNX!

Quoting tayser (Reply 3):
Jetstar (JQ) is 100% QF sub
Jetstar Asia (3K / Singapore based) is a QF brainchild, but not 100% owned by them owing to local ownership restrictions

Absolutely. QF has a 49% ownership stake in 3K. Also, don't forget Jetstar Pacific (BL; based in Vietnam) that is 27% owned by QF.

[Edited 2012-01-05 01:07:34]

KFlyer

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:45 am

Wasn't Kingfisher Red closed down recently? And MJ and UL are now effectively in a single group. All back office functions are done together etc.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:54 am

Quoting KFlyer (Reply 7):
Wasn't Kingfisher Red closed down recently? And MJ and UL are now effectively in a single group. All back office functions are done together etc.

As I said:

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 2):
Doesn't matter if they still exist or not (I knew Freedom wasn't still alive). They maybe dead, in existence, or proposed.

Were Kingfisher Red and Kingfisher itself separate?

KFlyer

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:19 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 8):

As I said:

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 2):

Were Kingfisher Red and Kingfisher itself separate?

Sorry didn't realise that. Red began its life as Deccan, so yes they obviously must have been operating seperatly until at least very rceently.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

aeroblogger

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:42 am

9W Konnect and 9W both are 9W.
9W and S2 (JetLite) are different airlines, but S2 is 100% owned by 9W.
Both IT and IT Red are both IT.
Citilink is about to be spun off by Garuda.
Air Asia and MH were planning on working together on an airline a while back IIRC.
#AvGeek

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Quoting KFlyer (Reply 9):
Sorry didn't realise that.

Doesn't matter at all.  
Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 10):
9W Konnect and 9W both are 9W.

I am confused: if they're not separate, what's the purpose of the two names? Furthermore, Jet Konnect itself says on its website "Welcome to Jet Konnect website - A Jet Airways Low Cost Carrier", while ATI says it is an "Economy brand of Jet Airways." And when I search for flights on Jet Konnect's website, it lists flights operated by itself, Jet Airways, and JetLite.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 10):
Both IT and IT Red are both IT.

When I search ATI, it says that Kingfisher Red is the "low-cost subsidiary of Kingfisher Airlines" while clarifying that "Kingfisher Red brand is also applied to economy class low fares offered on Kingfisher Airlines’ international services." And when I search Kingfisher's website for flights, some are listed as operated by Kingfisher Red.

aeroblogger

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:06 pm

They both operate as 1 airline in the case of 9Wk/9W and IT/ITred. The difference that you find on the website is merely a branding difference. Knowing that you will fly on 9W means that you can expect a certain seat pitch, meal, etc. while 9Wk will offer a lower cost (and therefore lower fare) type of service.
#AvGeek

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 12):

They both operate as 1 airline in the case of 9Wk/9W and IT/ITred. The difference that you find on the website is merely a branding difference. Knowing that you will fly on 9W means that you can expect a certain seat pitch, meal, etc. while 9Wk will offer a lower cost (and therefore lower fare) type of service.

Interesting. Thanks.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 12):

The description that accompanies this photo* says that Jet Airways Konnect has an all-economy configuration. From quickly searching, Jet Airways itself also has business class in such aircraft. So it appears that Konnect is an 'internally separate airline' within Jet, where there is some separation (greater density seating, no inclusive food/drink, probably higher utilisation, etc) but not full separation (AOC, etc).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vivek Manvi

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos