Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8herveg
Topic Author

Southend Airport Opening On Tuesday 28th February

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:41 pm

In case anyone is interested, the new terminal at London Southend Airport (SEN) is opening on Tuesday 28th February.

I guess the only service which will operate their to begin with is the daily (or is it 2 x daily?) Aer Arann flight to Waterford...until easyJet start their operations in April.

Hopefully we will see some announcements from other airlines in the meantime. I've heard some rumours about Jet2...

Anyone think TOM will be interested in starting some charter flights and basing a B733 there?

Vasu

RE: Southend Airport Opening On Tuesday 28th February

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Now all we need is the new Thames crossing and I'll start using it!

gkirk

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Jet2 and Germania are doing some charter flights to Germany for some car company IIRC.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

readytotaxi

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Thread starter):
I guess the only service which will operate their to begin with is the daily (or is it 2 x daily?) Aer Arann flight to Waterford

So this would be a good time to run those "Control Tower tours" before the rush starts 

Seriously lots of room for growth.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

LGWflyer

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:40 pm

The very best of luck to Southend Airport! I hope to see more airlines there and make it a decent place.  
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

rw717

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:03 pm

According to the Southend Airport website easyJet will be serving 9 destinations from SEN.
http://www.southendairport.com/fligh...estinations-guides-amp-timetables/
Reno Air - The Biggest Little Airline in the World

Lofty

Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Since when has Southend been in London. I guess it should be time that someone set a mileage distance from the City of London to class it as a London Airport.

I guess we could use the M25 in witch case Good bye Gatwick, Oxford, Southend and Stanstead.

Humberside

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Quoting gkirk (Reply 2):
Jet2 and Germania are doing some charter flights to Germany for some car company IIRC

STN-Cologne-Craiova (Romania) on a Monday, return on a Friday. Initially Jet 2 (starts this coming Monday IIRC) but will later be taken over by Germania. Car company involved is Ford
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

eurowings

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:49 pm

Quoting Lofty (Reply 6):

Since when has Southend been in London. I guess it should be time that someone set a mileage distance from the City of London to class it as a London Airport.

It's not, but it seems quite competitive in terms of transport links to Central London against STN. Three trains an hour from the airport's new station taking around 55 minutes into London Liverpool Street rail station (the same station where STN's trains arrive). They also serve the Olympics site at Stratford. Unlike the Stansted Express, these trains are just normal services and don't charge 'premium' fares.

Much better than 'London Oxford' or 'London Manston'. I can see Southend working for EZY and Stobart Group, they've picked a great year to commence operations.

I also think potentially it could be Thomson or Jet2 base of the future.

[Edited 2012-01-07 15:50:57]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

f4phantom

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Southend airport holds a special place for me, took my first flight from there back in 1967, Channel Airways, Viscount.

Spent many many hours there watching aircraft as a youngster, with the DC 4 Carvairs with those big Pratt And Whineys.

I will be on board the initial Easy Jet operation on April 2nd going to Belfast, looking forward to it.

GIANCAVIA

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Not really sure why peple see it as a JET2 or Thomson base.. It will be an orange haven with some Aer Arann props until the little Irish airline runs itself into bankruptcy.

Still cool another airport opens rather then shuts in the UK.

bennett123

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:10 pm

My re collection of Southend is that the parked/non standard aircraft were the highlights.

Saudi B707/Chinese BAE 146 and executive B727 the last time I was there, (few years ago).

shamrock604

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 10):

Wow......how....well, arrogant and misguided!

Aer Arann are doing quite well these days with a very succesful partnership with Aerlingus delivering strong growth and profits.

GIANCAVIA

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:19 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 12):
Wow......how....well, arrogant and misguided!

Aer Arann are doing quite well these days with a very succesful partnership with Aerlingus delivering strong growth and profits.

Not misguided at all.. If you think Arann is being run well you should dive a little deeper.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 11):
My re collection of Southend is that the parked/non standard aircraft were the highlights.

Saudi B707/Chinese BAE 146 and executive B727 the last time I was there, (few years ago).

heh last time I was there Parcel Force Royal Mail? Viscounts where being scrapped/stored.. when I was a little guy.

shamrock604

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 am

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 13):

Being "badly run", and run into bankrupty are too different things.

8herveg
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:07 am

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 10):
Not really sure why peple see it as a JET2 or Thomson base..

I think it could work. EZY have chosen mainly bucket and spade routes, so why couldn't TOM make that work too but maybe choose some other destinations? The Canaries? Greece? Turkey?

GIANCAVIA

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 14):
Being "badly run", and run into bankrupty are too different things.

Hmm so an Airline being run badly has a good long term future? Okey dokey.

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 15):
I think it could work. EZY have chosen mainly bucket and spade routes, so why couldn't TOM make that work too but maybe choose some other destinations? The Canaries? Greece? Turkey?

I just dont see it, Could be wrong.. whats the Largest Airliner that will be able to operate out of Southend once its operational?

MHG

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 8):
Unlike the Stansted Express, these trains are just normal services and don't charge 'premium' fares.

That will be a great advantage over using STN as a gateway.
I´m just waiting for routes to Germany popping up on the routemap ...
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

8herveg
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 16):
I just dont see it, Could be wrong.. whats the Largest Airliner that will be able to operate out of Southend once its operational?

I think the B737/A319 are the largest aircraft. May be a B738/A320 but I think a B757 might be too large with full pax? Could be wrong...

Places like BOH, EXT, MME & NWI have TOM flights - all of which have similar populations. I reckon it could work. There are loads of chavs who live in and around Southend who love going to all the bucket and spade routes in Spain, Greece, Turkey etc.

lightsaber

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:08 pm

With a relatively short runway, I wouldn't expect this airport to grow signficantly.  
Since I doubt the church will be moved, the airport will be capped. Unless Bombardier does well selling the CS100 for TATL length missions. I do not see a TATL flight, but perhaps QR (or TK) could use the airport for feed? But that would require other airlines to initiate service first.

Quoting rw717 (Reply 5):
According to the Southend Airport website easyJet will be serving 9 destinations from SEN.

Good to hear. I wish them well.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

shamrock604

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 16):

Lots of carriers are badly run, but that does not equal making a loss. I've worked for a few that were appallingly run, but still made money, and bad managers were dispensed with given time. It may seem like a contradiction, but it is possible.

RE have a Ryanair schooled accountant in charge. So things may be run badly in some areas, but you can be sure he has a keen eye on the financials. He has also "learned from his mistakes" from previous ventures, and has already pulled them out of the fire.

[Edited 2012-01-09 11:52:43]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos