Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Valkariye
Topic Author

Travelling With Babies - Is There A Minimum Age?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:50 pm

I was on a UA flight from PIT to IAD a couple of weeks ago, where 2 rows in front of me there was a mum with a baby who was only 1 1/2 weeks old. The FA's were all very interested in the baby, but were also worried about flying with someone that young. Naturally they were asking if there is any regulation with a minimum age, but no-one seemed to know. I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this? How do you feel about travelling with a child that young? Doesn't this affect the baby's eardrums?

BMI727

RE: Travelling With Babies - Is There A Minimum Age?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Quoting Valkariye (Thread starter):

I took my first flight at two weeks old, and I turned out alright.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

PanHAM

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Whatever the doctor approves. Responsible parents will check that before taking the baby on a flight and that should be the only restriction.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

rwy04lga

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 1):
I took my first flight at two weeks old, and I turned out alright

I was 10 weeks old when I flew in a Trans-Canada Constellation YUL-TPA. I had no complaints!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

daviation

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:08 pm

I took my son on his first plane at age 7 weeks. We must have had rocks in our heads for traveling to a family reunion with a newborn. But he's 16 now and his hearing is fine!

Over the years, we had a fair share of audible unhappiness from him on flights, much to the irritation of other passengers. Believe me, we tried everything to calm him down - decongestants, toys, you-name-it. There was one occasion where nothing mollfiied him, and to top it off I latched my daughter's seat belt and caught her finger in the latch. So then we had two screaming babies.

I empathize with the parents who have tried everything. When I'm on a flight with a screaming baby, I remember my own efforts. The only parents I can't stand are the ones that don't try to help at all.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

seabosdca

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Quoting Valkariye (Thread starter):
How do you feel about travelling with a child that young?

The trouble is that you might doom it to a lifetime of being an aviation enthusiast.     

seven3seven

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:13 pm

the minimum age is 1 minute old. If a baby is born on the airplane they have to divert because that passenger does not meet the minimum age
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

EWRandMDW

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:44 pm

I recently sat next to a young mom flying with her 3-week old son. The flight was SEA - DEN. No problem at all! Then I've been on flights from the southern US where kids at least 6-years old sat behind me and happily kicked the back of my seat > 1 hour until they finally fell asleep! I politely asked the kids' mom to control their little "darlings" but she seemed too much out of it to care! So, my unscientific poll suggests the older kids get, the more I wish they'd be kept off airplanes.

longhauler

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Must be a trend.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 5):
The trouble is that you might doom it to a lifetime of being an aviation enthusiast.

I was less than 6 months old when my parents took me on a TCA DC-4M North Star, BGI-BDA-YUL-YYZ.

Sounds like that kid will be hanging over fences taking pictures of aircraft in less than 10 years!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

flybehubby

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:47 pm

TCX minimum age is 48hours old however both mum and baby must have a fitness to fly letter until baby is 2 weeks old. After then there's no restrictions.

EZY minimum age is 2 weeks.
Helping to turn Europe orange.

BMI727

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 2):
Whatever the doctor approves.

Funny you should mention that. I was back in the hospital with jaundice and my mom took me straight from the hospital to the airport.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

breiz

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:32 pm

We travelled with our daughter when she was less than 3 months old. She is now 33 and the mother of two kids. In between she became a flight attendant, her dream in life.

zckls04

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:37 pm

Quoting daviation (Reply 4):
I empathize with the parents who have tried everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4BH69OWosE
Four Granavox Turbines!

lightsaber

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:44 pm

It takes a while for a baby's immune system to develop. I've heard anything from 6 weeks to 6 months! As a parent, I want to see children flying. But maybe I was paranoid keeping the little one at home the first few weeks to let the immune system develop. Colds and flus are too common post a flight...

Quoting flybehubby (Reply 9):
TCX minimum age is 48hours old however both mum and baby must have a fitness to fly letter until baby is 2 weeks old. After then there's no restrictions.

EZY minimum age is 2 weeks.

2 weeks sounds like a reasonable start. I agree with a doctors letter for 'fittness to fly' for earlier flights. The first 2 days should be in the hospital!

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

UALWN

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:42 pm

We were scheduled to fly with our first-born daughter when she would be 2-3 weeks old. We were relocating to another country, and flying was the only option. We checked with the doctor and he said that after 2 weeks, it would be OK. At the end, our daughter was born more than 2 weeks in advance, so she ended up flying at age 5 weeks. She has turned out OK, as far as I can tell...
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/350/380

ssublyme

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:43 pm

I've seen airlines mention 7 days as the minimum. As in when going to select the age of the 'infant in lap' 7 days is the minimum age.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:12 am

Quoting daviation (Reply 4):
I empathize with the parents who have tried everything. When I'm on a flight with a screaming baby, I remember my own efforts. The only parents I can't stand are the ones that don't try to help at all.

Problem parents i like to call the parents who do nothing.

If its an emergency and its determined to be safe then of course any age should be allowed to fly.

When it comes to non emergency or non critical flying and little kids that disturb everyone maybe there should be an age limit. Not only for the passengers but also for the kids its clearly upsetting them. I was on a very very short flight to Vegas once from so cal with a kid literally screaming and crying the entire flight super loud. It was probably the worst headache ive ever had in my life. The mom told me she just hates driving so she was flying with the baby and she apologized to us because she knew how loud he was but did nothing to try to stop it at all. In a scenario like this they should be forced to drive when its such a short hop and she wasn't in an emergency. Now I'm sure its hard to determine an emergency and i have no real solution to the problem im just saying i wish there was a way to determine criticial flying and allow only those cases.

Avianca

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 am

great post! well I will be dad within the next 2 weeks and we might have same problem as the little princes will be born in the country of origen of her mum, I am right now living still in Peru but will be relocated in some weeks. What will be for me crucial before flying with the little princes is going before to the doc and get the approval.

saludos
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

ssteve

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 am

It all has to do with vaccines and transmissible disease. If you happen to travel on a flight with someone who has (for instance) pertussis, it could end pretty sadly for the little one. Ideally all the older folks sharing the flight are vaccinated, and there's nothing to worry about. If someone has TB-- hey, the adults are screwed, too!

tdscanuck

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:57 am

Quoting EWRandMDW (Reply 7):
So, my unscientific poll suggests the older kids get, the more I wish they'd be kept off airplanes.

Absolutely. Infants are easy to travel with...they don't want to go anywhere, they're easily amused, they sleep a lot and, even if they do cry, it doesn't make you want to shove an ice pick in your ears. The ones that will really get you are toddlers...old enough to want to move, too young to be reasoned with. They're sociopaths (and sadists) with vocal chords that go to 11.

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 13):
The first 2 days should be in the hospital!

They should really be at home, but we can agree that those first two days shouldn't be on an airplane.

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 16):
When it comes to non emergency or non critical flying and little kids that disturb everyone maybe there should be an age limit.

No. The problem isn't age, it's behavior. There are plenty of 1-year olds that I'd rather fly with than some 40-year olds.

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 16):
I was on a very very short flight to Vegas once from so cal with a kid literally screaming and crying the entire flight super loud. It was probably the worst headache ive ever had in my life.

At least it was a "very very short" time...be glad you're not the kid's mother. It's a common misconception that parents are immune to their kids' noises on airplanes...we hate it *more* than you do.

Tom.

dfambro

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:05 am

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 20):
Absolutely. Infants are easy to travel with...they don't want to go anywhere, they're easily amused, they sleep a lot and, even if they do cry, it doesn't make you want to shove an ice pick in your ears. The ones that will really get you are toddlers...old enough to want to move, too young to be reasoned with. They're sociopaths (and sadists) with vocal chords that go to 11.

So true, they're easy as infants so don't wait and go ahead and get the visiting done! 1 & 2 year olds are the toughest to fly with in my experience.

daviation

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:40 pm

In my experience, there is no general pattern. Some people are good pax, some aren't, regardless of age. As a single father, I once took my two 5-year-olds to Florida (on Midway Airlines). We were delayed for quite a while. My kids spent their time on their coloring books and toys, while the 60-ish lady sitting across the aisle bitched and moaned for the entire delay. The FA wondered who is the child here? She rewarded us with a few small bottles of champagne for keeping the kids under control while the 'mature' woman couldn't keep a grip on herself.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

seabosdca

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Quoting daviation (Reply 21):
We were delayed for quite a while. My kids spent their time on their coloring books and toys, while the 60-ish lady sitting across the aisle bitched and moaned for the entire delay.

So true. An irrational and noisy kid is irritating, but not as irritating as an irrational and noisy adult. I was recently on a flight that suffered a minor (30 min.) maintenance delay at the gate. A fifty something woman immediately behind me spent the entire half hour loudly telling everyone in earshot about how the airlines purposely conspire to keep people away from their destinations. I would have much rather listened to a screeching toddler.

B6MoneyGuyJFK

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:55 pm

My (adopted) son was born in Chicago on a Tuesday afternoon. We flew to ORD from NYC Wednesday monring, and by Wednesday afternoon we were flying home. I changed his first diaper at the Delta gates. He was in my lap the entire time, and I spent the whole flight straing down in amazment. We did get a couple of strange looks by a couple of the flight attendants, but he didn't make a peep. That was a number of years ago. At this point, he is a very well traveled young man.
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone elses stinks!

Valkariye
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Thank you for all the replies! I've been wondering ever since if it's OK, but judging by the replies it's something you can do   it just strikes me as a bit odd that during pregnancy there's a no-fly time, but after it's OK to travel within a couple of days. You'd think the two would be similar.

Quoting Avianca (great post! well I will be dad within the next 2 weeks and we might have same problem as the little princes will be born in the country of origen of her mum, I am right now living still in Peru but will be relocated in some weeks. What will be for me crucial before flying with the little princes is going before to the doc and get the approval.

saludos
Avianca

Congratulations! 

[Edited 2012-01-10 07:17:50]

[Edited 2012-01-10 07:18:17]

PlaneAdmirer

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 5):

My son is now 7, soon to be 8, and he took his first flight at two weeks to be at his cousin's bris. Last night on the way home from hockey/ice skating lessons, we took a short detour by Centennial Airport just to look at the flightline and see what was there. His 4 year old sister likes to look too. Our oldest tolerates me which gives me 2 out of 3 right now who are into aviation.

Our kids have flown quite a bit over the years - not as much many, but more than most. I have walked up and down the aisle with them, stayed in the rear galley and held them, changed them there too, bounced, played, read, watched videos, etc. While no longer the case, the hardest part for them was letting a favorite stuffed animal be x-rayed at security. We had a few meltdowns there.

The first time my youngest saw first class (we typically fly Frontier) she immediately crawled into that seat as they just looked nicer. I had to explain it to her.

United787

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:34 pm

It takes a while for a baby's immune system to develop. I've heard anything from 6 weeks to 6 months! As a parent, I want to see children flying. But maybe I was paranoid keeping the little one at home the first few weeks to let the immune system develop. Colds and flus are too common post a flight...

I would say smart and protective are more appropriate words than paranoid.

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 18):
It all has to do with vaccines and transmissible disease. If you happen to travel on a flight with someone who has (for instance) pertussis, it could end pretty sadly for the little one. Ideally all the older folks sharing the flight are vaccinated, and there's nothing to worry about. If someone has TB-- hey, the adults are screwed, too!

Exactly!

I have a 14 month old. Our doctor recommending waiting until the first round of vaccinations which was about 6-8 weeks. The problem now is that so many people aren't vaccinated as much as they used to be so you can't expect everyone around her being vaccinated like you can in your own home. Most infants can travel on a plane at 1-2 weeks old and be just fine but the risk is pretty high and the potential consequences severe.

My daughter took her first flight at 10 weeks. She was a dream to travel with as an infant...now I dread it!

lightsaber

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 26):
I would say smart and protective are more appropriate words than paranoid.

Oh, I'm paranoid with infants and colds. I wouldn't visit my best friend last week as I had just gotten over a cold (his wife is pregnant and and bedridden 'due to complications'). Maybe it is because my 1 year old took 2 weeks to get over that cold.

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 19):
The ones that will really get you are toddlers...old enough to want to move, too young to be reasoned with. They're sociopaths (and sadists) with vocal chords that go to 11.

I recommend the book 'the happiest toddler on the block.' It helps one tone it down to 9 (after the initial outburst). That book is the sequel to the 'happiest baby on the block' which makes raising an infant far easier (in particular for dads).

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 19):
They should really be at home, but we can agree that those first two days shouldn't be on an airplane.

We can agree. California state law is now 2 days in the hospital... I don't argue about taking the baby home as long as there are people there to help the mom.

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 18):
you happen to travel on a flight with someone who has (for instance) pertussis, it could end pretty sadly for the little one. Ideally all the older folks sharing the flight are vaccinated, and there's nothing to worry about.

Its going around Los Angeles. (pertussis). Our pediatrician ordered me to go out and get the vaccine. Rubbela is also going around LA. (Women need the MMR pre-pregnancy for that.)

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

tb727

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Me too, I'm ironically flying the same type I first flew on 30 years ago. I don't know if that makes me old or my equipment!

I've flown plenty of very young babies, only a day old, on air ambulance flights in Learjets. Many were preemies that weren't even as big as my hand and needed special attention. We of course had a nurse and RT on board. The nurse specialized in pediatrics and did most of our baby flights. We used an isolette(incubator), which is very heavy at 200 pounds but necessary because the babies couldn't maintain their body heat and this did it for them.

As far as normal kids, a few weeks is probably old enough. I always worry about young kids because of sinus blockages and stuff like that, they can't tell you and I'm sure it can be painful with the cabin altitude changes.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

AirlineCritic

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16 pm

... except for becoming an a.net poster   

... and I have no such excuse.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think there is any particular limit, except that of course during the first few days you want to stay close to doctors and hospitals just in case. And I'd like to welcome more babies on all aircraft. They are just lovely. It is only later in their life that they can become annoying, probably due to lack of proper parental guidance. In their 30s and 40s they become particularly obnoxious, drinking all that alcohol and making demands based on their frequent flier status 

flightmedic72

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 pm

I have flown with lots of babies. Many of them were very sick, premature or badly injured. The longest/youngest was FAI - SEA in a MarkAir 732 with a 29 week preemie back in the early 70s. This was prior to the advent of "neonatal transport teams" We used a modified car seat as a transport device and stashed the oxygen under the seat and the IV's hung from the overhead on a coat hanger. Best way to deal with pressure changes on ascent and decent is with rubber pacifiers or a bottle. Always had to to turn up the oxygen at altitude to maintain adequate saturation. Babies do well if you anticipate and pay attention to their needs.

tdscanuck

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:10 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 27):
I recommend the book 'the happiest toddler on the block.' It helps one tone it down to 9 (after the initial outburst). That book is the sequel to the 'happiest baby on the block' which makes raising an infant far easier (in particular for dads).

Ditto. Maybe flight crews should carry a copy of each...after all, you've got a captive parent who really needs that information whether they know it or not.

Tom.

United787

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:08 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 27):

Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered the DVD...my 14 month has already hit her terrible twos!

beertrucker

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:17 am

I was 5 days old when my Parents brought me home after adopting me in Columbus ohio.
Fly HI

zippyjet

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:24 am

For us FL you can be poppin fresh right out of the oven; but that bundle of joy has to have been out of that oven for at least two (2) weeks! Of couse sometimes it's hard to tell. We've seen some bambinos that look like little baby Pygmey hippos.   
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

intsim

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:20 am

Sorry, not airline related. Maybe I could argue it is better to have them fly really young?

Babies are born with some immunity thanks to their mother. I think it lasts up to a few months.

"Babies are born with some natural immunity against infectious diseases because their mothers' infection-preventing antibodies are passed to them through the umbilical cord. This immunity is only temporary, but babies will develop their own immunity against many infectious diseases."

http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/medical/mednewborn.html#

ckfred

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:09 pm

We adopted a newborn and flew SEA-ORD, when he was 8 days old. Just to be safe, we had a note from the doctor approving his air travel. It worked out well.

He fell asleep while we taxied out for takeoff. He woke up about 90 minutes later for a bottle and diaper change. The he slept until we touched down at ORD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos