Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Going Up In A Meig 25? Military Training?

Sun Oct 08, 2000 10:42 am

Hey y'all. I've been taking flying lessons about twice a week since late january... Started out young, wanted to be an astronaut like every other little kid (16 now, 17 in april), went to US Space Academy in april 99, Advanced Space Academy in july 00.

I was just watching the travel channel. They showed a man going in a russian meig 25, up 100,000 feet, above the earth right near space, where you could see the whole planet practiclly. I was just like OH MY GOSH I NEED TO DO THAT! Then they said it was $15,000 for a 45 minute ride, which sounds great to me, I think of money as just money, if I want to really do something I'll pay whatever I need to to do it, but at 16, I dont have 15grand, and my parents wont loan me that much   Maybe when I'm an airline captain making a nice penny a year I'll do it.

When I go to college, graduate with pretty much all my liscenses, if I go into the military, can I actually train to be a combat pilot, or something like that, and get to train in the american equivilent to the meig 25's and go up that high, earn real world hours, and then after a few years apply to the major commercial airlines? or if I go in the military and want to fly those kind of planes... would they have me stick around for a while.... and squash my dreams of being a commercial pilot?

Anyone have any info on this, and the military route? Any info is appriciated!

MD-90

RE: Going Up In A Meig 25? Military Training?

Sun Oct 08, 2000 11:47 am

For $12,595, you can fly in a Mig-25 to 80,000 ft. (the edge of space). Check out the awesome company Space Adventures at spaceadventures.com. I'd personally go for the Su-30 flight because I love Sukhois.

LordOfTheFlys

RE:

Sun Oct 08, 2000 12:11 pm

I think the Air Force requires a ten year commitment if you go through their pilot training. Talk to your local recruiter, they are more than willing to help. Make sure you qualify for pilot training as far as eye site requirements and what not are concerned.

Best training in the world with the best equipment in the world...just give them 10 years of your life. And yes, that leaves you plenty of time to be a commercial pilot after you get out.

-Greg

MAC_Veteran

Wait A Second There Buck Rogers..

Sun Oct 08, 2000 12:23 pm

Personally, $15 Grand would be -much- better spent towards a good college education than some ego-driven 'rich man's stunt' for 45 minutes. You want to talk -real- balls and guts? Become a full time Air Force fighter jock.

If you were to join the Air Force through the AF Academy, (given high test scores and a Congressional sponsorship package) if you make it through it's various schools and training or go the OTS route, you could do all of that without blowing that kind of money whatsoever.

It would depend upon you though, not money. It's tough and brutal.

Imagine being an F-16 or F-15E pilot..that would be plenty right there..(I got plenty working and flying aboard Airlifters like the C-5, C-141 and C-130 thank you (G) and not a nickle coming out of your hide, but getting -paid- to do it. Think on that before you want to spend $15 thousand bucks on a 45 minute joy ride.

MAC

LordOfTheFlys

RE: Wait A Second There Buck Rogers..

Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:01 pm

Buck Rogers, I love it. Take heed to MAC's advice, he is definately qualified to write on this matter. My father flew C-130's in Vietnam and has never once spoken poorly about his training or experiences while in service. I would join in a heart beat if my eye sight (not site) was better. If you do plan on going into the Air Force you may want to look into OTS (Officers' Training School), better pay and more room for advancement.

And thank you MAC for your service to our country. No matter how many times it's been said...it can't be said enough; even if I am a Boeing fan.

-Greg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos