Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trent1000
Topic Author

JL Cabin Fire Caused By Lighter

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:45 am

JL771 NRT/SYD returned 14th Jan due to business class seat fire caused by a lighter.
I suppose NRT security would be asked to be more vigilant in checking pax for these.
But how could a fire start unless the passenger was handling the lighter while seated?

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-fire/story-e6frfkui-1226244835834

Gingersnap

RE: JL Cabin Fire Caused By Lighter

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Well lighters are allowed last I checked, at least over here. But it is insisted that they are carried on your person at all times during the flight. Not sure why, but that's all I know.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

planejamie

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Surprisingly, in the UK you can pass through security with a regular cigarette lighter or matches. As certainly at MAN there is an airside smoking area in Terminal 1 and when I've flown BD they've had an announcement saying "if you are carrying any lighters or matches, please keep them with you and do not place them in your baggage". But to cause a fire, they must have to be used... as an ex-smoker for a short while (back when I lived in Saudi and there wasn't any minimum age law) the cheap lighters most people use don't easily ignite unless you intend to. A Zippo would, but the cover would have to be off for that to happen and I think they are banned on board... Still not good this happened at all, at least it was in the start of the flight and not half way across an ocean...

andz

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Quoting Gingersnap (Reply 1):
But it is insisted that they are carried on your person at all times during the flight. Not sure why, but that's all I know.

If it catches fire in your pocket you will be alerted pretty quickly. If it catches fire in your hand baggage in the overhead it could be more serious. That's my theory.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

railker

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Canadian Rules for Carry-on flammables, specifically lighters and matches:

>>> Permitted Lighters: Disposable lighters (e.g. non-refillable Bic type) and Zippo lighters are permitted with carry-on baggage. Lighters must be intended for personal use. A maximum of one lighter per person is allowed.

>>> Safety Matches: Matches must be intended for personal use and carried on the person (e.g., in pocket or purse). A maximum of one book of safety matches per person is allowed.

LXa332

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:58 pm

This reminds me of an incident back in 2008 involving a DL 763 on Atlanta-Vienna.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4088148d&opt=0

Coincidentally, I just took a ride on the incident a/c (N153DL) a few months ago on ATL-ZRH, where she's a pretty frequent visitor.

Since the TSA is scanning everyone, it's surprising to me that they haven't banned lighters yet. It's also one of the few instances where the Air Marshals have been used.

tharanga

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting LXa332 (Reply 6):
Since the TSA is scanning everyone, it's surprising to me that they haven't banned lighters yet.

They did previously (Congress made them do so), and the ban was lifted in 2007. They were collecting a massive number of lighters from passengers, and the TSA decided that it just wasn't worth the trouble - it was possibly distracting the screeners from identifying people and items that were presenting more of a risk.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-06-28-lighter-ban_x.htm

However, let's not get derailed here - US TSA rules are irrelevant for this particular flight.

BE77

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:42 pm

Quoting tharanga (Reply 7):

US TSA rules are irrelevant for this particular flight.

Someone has to say it....how is this different than any other flight??
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

BreninTW

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:20 am

JL had a similar incident a couple of years ago in TPE -- a small fire in the rear of the Y cabin was caused by a lighter. What I believe happened was that a lighter fell out of someone's pocket and caught in the seat. When the pax reclined the seat, it activated (is there a better word?) the lighter.

Quoting Be77 (Reply 8):
US TSA rules are irrelevant for this particular flight.

I think the poster is saying US TSA rules are irrelevant because the flight was from NRT to SYD. Therefore the TSA wouldn't be involved in any with the screening of the flight.

tribird1011

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:33 am

Quoting Be77 (Reply 8):

Pretty simple really... it did NOT originate in the US, and was NOT destined to the US.

BestWestern

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:43 am

In China, Lighters are banned. Always amazing to see the quantity of lighters taken away from people at airports.

I also creates a quaint secondary industry of old ladies selling lighters on the arrivals taxi queue that they have no doubt bought from the security guards.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos