Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

U2380
Topic Author

Luton Airport- New Expansion Plan

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:54 pm

I haven't seen this posted, my apologies if I has.

Reports from the BBC suggest that LTN has announced plans for expansion, with the aim of doubling passenger figures (up to 18 million) by 2020. Details are a bit vague at the moment, and as you can imagine, there is already opposition to the plans.

http://www.airport-world.com/news-ar...-luton-airport-to-expand-to-18mppa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-16580283

Bongodog1964

RE: Luton Airport- New Expansion Plan

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Yuk

An airport that I only fly from if there's no alternative, poor road connections from where I live, they even charge you to drop off passemgers, having paid its a trudge in the rain to the terminal, and then when you get there a collection of disjointed sheds masquerading as an international airport terminal.

PlymSpotter

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Quoting U2380 (Thread starter):
Reports from the BBC suggest that LTN has announced plans for expansion, with the aim of doubling passenger figures (up to 18 million) by 2020

Not quite, they aim to increase passenger numbers by 57%, mostly using current infrastructure by the sounds of it; optimising the current infrastructure with moderate improvement works to increase passenger and aircraft capacity. The expansion will come in the form of more passengers not a greatly expanded airport, although that will no doubt follow in the future.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

readytotaxi

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:19 pm

They certainly need to improve the customer experience if they are to grow those numbers,very lack luster at the moment.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

U2380
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 2):
Not quite, they aim to increase passenger numbers by 57%

How embarrassing, I can't even quote my own source correctly   

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 2):
The expansion will come in the form of more passengers not a greatly expanded airport, although that will no doubt follow in the future.

Indeed, I find it very hard to believe that they'll be able to accommodate 18 million people with the current infrastructure through.

bennett123

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Still it's a nice airport for taking photos  

PlymSpotter

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Quoting U2380 (Reply 4):
How embarrassing, I can't even quote my own source correctly

We all have those moments  
Quoting U2380 (Reply 4):
Indeed, I find it very hard to believe that they'll be able to accommodate 18 million people with the current infrastructure through.

I think it depends on what kind of experience they wish to provide, which in turn depends on how much airlines and passengers are willing to pay in terms of fees. I've experienced airports operating at >200% of their capacity, it's not pretty but they still just about get the job done.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

babybus

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:26 pm

This looks like one of those projects cooked up for some bigwig to put on his CV rather than a well thought out master plan for the future.

This isn't the time for redevelopments and expansions in a contracting market. Most people fly through LTN because they have to as that's where their flight is or it's their nearest airport.

Why don't they fiddle with the transport links if they want to improve things.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

santos

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 5):
Still it's a nice airport for taking photos

If you're a B738 & A319 lover, yes!!!

bennett123

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:57 pm

You would be surprised.

I have some nices pictures of an Air Seychelles B767, HiFly(?) A310, Sun D'Or B757 etc.

All taken in the last couple of years.

Even with Thomson/Monarch etc, you can get some nice shots.

Having an airport where you do not get hassle always helps.

gilesdavies

Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Pleased to hear my local airport is expanding!

The airport is currently capped at handling 11.5 million passengers and was inevitable that some expansion plans would have to be announced sooner or later, as the airport is currently handling around 10 million passengers and traffic grew by about 8-10% last year.

No actual plans of the expansion have yet been released, but from what I understand the expansion is likely to consist of the following:

- The Terminal (tinminal), will be expanded to the south where the current drop off zone is. This building is designed to be expanded as it is a modular design.

- A new six or eight pack apron created where the current short stay car park is, and newly created pier extended out from terminal.

- Possibly new Apron on opposite side of taxiway (opposite the above newly created apron), if and when demand is required.

- Full length parallel taxiway to the runway, and high speed turn offs. At present aircraft have to back track, down about 1500ft of runway and turnaround.

- Staff parking in the Central Terminal Area to be relocated to another part of the airport.

- Short Stay multi story car park and drop off zone to be built, on or near location of the easyJet portacabin offices.

- New Mid Stay multi storey car parking on land opposite the Holiday Inn Express to add capacity to exisiting site.

The above is only rumours, but heard many people saying the same things for some time now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think some of the comments about the airport are a little unfair...

The access road from Junction 10A up to the airport was about two years ago upgraded to dual carriage way. The airport is currently seeking to dual carriage the final part up to the airport terminal, which can occasionally be a problem at peak times. This should be in place by the summer.

The new Luton to Dunstable bus way is currently being constructed, this is also planned to run up to the airport, via Luton Airport Parkway station.

The £1 drop off fee is controversial, but bear in mind this is no different to the likes of BHX, EMA and BRS to name a few that do exactly the same thing. The fee can also be avoided by dropping passengers off at the Mid Stay car park, where you have 10 mins free parking and the buses run every 5-10 mins to take passengers of the 2-3 min journey up to terminal.

Passport Control at the airport, is problematic (just like other UK airports), when a number of flights all arrive within a few mintues... This is controlled by UK Border Agency and the airport has been trying to get this issue addressed for ages with little success.

I find security at the airport is very rarely a problem, I regularly travel with hand luggage only and check-in online. From getting out of the car in the drop off zone to being in departure lounge will very rarely take more than 10 mins, and that's if I am getting a flight at 6 or 7am in the morning, when the airport is at its busiest.

The Terminal Building may not be the most beautiful of places, but find it light and airy. Good range of shops and perfectly functional, for an airport operating over 90%+ of LCC flights.

Also if you arrive outside of peak times, you can easily be out of the airport in 10-15mins from landing and very short walks. Other than LCY, no other airport in the London area can easily offer this.
(My record is 7 mins, when I landed back on a Wizzair flight from Dubrovnik, at around 1pm on a week day in July last year!)

ACdreamliner

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:15 am

Quoting Babybus (Reply 7):
Why don't they fiddle with the transport links if they want to improve things.

This is happening, new dual carriageway direct from the M1 to the terminal door is approved and work beginning soon. Rail links are as good as they can be I guess but car parks are the only issue the need a good long look at. There is a lot of room by the Vauxhall factory for a multistory which could take a lot of pressure off though, with a bus shuttle to the terminal door.

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 10):
- Short Stay multi story car park and drop off zone to be built, on or near location of the easyJet portacabin offices.

I think building 109 (ex easyLand) is to be turned into part of the new dual carriageway/drop off area according to the plans submitted to Luton Borough Council.

Quoting santos (Reply 8):

That's not fair. We get A320's from Wizz & easyJet too! lol. But the daily surprise that El Al send is always interesting 772/763/738...

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
I think it depends on what kind of experience they wish to provide, which in turn depends on how much airlines and passengers are willing to pay in terms of fees. I've experienced airports operating at >200% of their capacity, it's not pretty but they still just about get the job done.

This is a very important point. DXB and AUH are designed with a luxury passenger in mind, Luton is designed for cheap cheerful (at a stretch) passengers flying with low cost carriers. To fit its purpose, LTN is not doing a bad job, with the exception of security. That needs a good look at!

---

Should say, I'm not a huge fan of LTN but it does its job...
Where are you going?

GIANCAVIA

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:23 am

Its Executive jet heaven... Gulfstreams and Global express as far as the eye can see   All kinds of Bizliners from MD87 to 727. Fedex send their 757' A310, A300 for maintenance. ELAL send their 737/757/767/777 in.. MNG operates A300 in.. DHL A300/757's.. ATP freighters.. ATR42/ATR72 from Aer Arann.. Flybe DHC8's.. Monarch A321/A320s/A300 .. throw in all the random charters that turn up from day to day and the MX that Thomson and Monarch offer and in the end you always have something new at LTN. No doubt the Orange buses do become irritating.

I never understand the negativity about LTN from some people, It is my home airport but bias doesnt really come into it. They dont make me any money so I wont big up the airport for no reason. Still everytime I had a flight its been the easiest of all London airports to get through and it does a great job with such little investment and expansion over the years. I can not deny however the set out of the road coming under the bridge and the roundabout is utterly stupid but I am led to believe the recent plans for changing it were hindered because the airport didnt carry out an "environmental" study.

I think in the grand scheme of things all Luton really needs is a little extension to the runway/taxiways, alot more parking spaces for aircraft & terminal expansion. All entirely achievable in a short space of time.

[Edited 2012-01-17 03:05:10]

richardw

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:51 am

It needs a free light rail link from the Parkway rail station up to the terminal to replace the bus service.

Any chance of air-bridges, this is England, it rains, even in summer.

Gingersnap

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:46 am

LTN has always been an easy airport to get through in my experience. I managed to get from drop off to departures within 5-10 minutes a few times.

Not so easy to get to however.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

Fabo

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Quoting richardw (Reply 13):
It needs a free light rail link from the Parkway rail station up to the terminal to replace the bus service.

Sounds to me a little overdoing it. Granted I only were at Luton once and it was not exactly peak time.

I dont think there is enough demand at Luton, with it being the lowcost haven it is.
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

r2rho

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:17 pm

The links are very vague, I'd like to hear more. While LTN is no luxury airport, it does well with what it has and is not as inconvenient to reach as some think. I believe there is growth potential for LTN if they come up with a smart expansion plan.

No, it needs a direct rail access to the terminal. Between taking a bus or taking a light rail, I see no difference, it's still one extra transfer you have to make. While the current bus works fairly well, an airport aiming to have 18million pax should have direct rail access at the terminal.

gilesdavies

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 pm

The pier that was built 4-5 years ago which is attached the new terminal, has the capability of these being added and is on the right level, but there is simply no demand by the low cost airlines using the airport. It simply slows down boarding for the airlines as they want to use front and rear doors for boarding, as they have very tight turnaround times.

The only airlines that maybe interested in using them are Thomson and El-Al?

Air bridges are simply an additional cost, which airlines using the airport are not demanding...

LTN is not stupid and knows exactly the kind of markets and airlines wanting to use the airport. They will continue to offer a value for money airport for the airlines, while offer a functional experience for the passenger without the luxuries found at other airports.

Take the old Eurohub terminal at BHX which is now mainly used by FlyBE and Ryanair, these are very rarely used and just sit idol, with passengers using the steps on the airbridge to walk out to the apron to board the aircrafts. This is also the case at STN, where I think only one pier has air bridges, as the majority of the LCC using the airport do not demand them.

Not sure on the situation at LGW, but I think easyJet do reluctantly use them, as they are not really geared for passengers walking across the apron, only at remote stands, where passengers are bussed...

jamincan

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:49 pm

It looks like there are air bridges on all the piers at STN (at least from Google Maps). Not all airlines seem to use them though.

richardw

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:51 pm

If you are going for a substantial increase in passengers, I don't think the roads from the Parkway station up to the terminal would be able to cope with more buses at peak times, a rail alternative is almost certainly needed.

More passengers may mean more high end passengers and these airlines may demand air bridges.

I agree the no frills airlines probably won't want air-bridges.

GIANCAVIA

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Quoting jamincan (Reply 18):
It looks like there are air bridges on all the piers at STN (at least from Google Maps). Not all airlines seem to use them though.

Pretty sure Ryanair dont Like the added cost of the Piers.

Like you say Giles I cant think of anyone who would want to use them other then ELAL and in all honesty they seem to be very happy with their operations at Luton so I cant see the need myself.

More parking spaces for aircraft would be a priority over bridges me thinks!

Eltomzo

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:59 pm

The 'C' satellite at STN does not have piers, and is used exclusively by Ryanair.

Gingersnap

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 17):
Take the old Eurohub terminal at BHX which is now mainly used by FlyBE and Ryanair, these are very rarely used and just sit idol, with passengers using the steps on the airbridge to walk out to the apron to board the aircrafts. This is also the case at STN, where I think only one pier has air bridges, as the majority of the LCC using the airport do not demand them.

I have used the airbridges at the Eurohub a few times. This whilst travelling BE, onboard E195 equipment.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

bennett123

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Besides, over the years I have got some nice pictures between the bus and the plane.

There is at least a photo of the plane that you are boarding, you sometimes can get nearby planes as well.

With air bridges, you can forget that.

What other access are you going to get to the apron.

Bunch of softies wanting air bridges, whatever next?.

YVRLTN

Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 am

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 12):

Its Executive jet heaven...

I cant tell you how much I miss spotting at LTN, I so regret not having a camera - or digital memory anyway - when I was there. Bizjets from Gabon, Nigeria, Azerbaijan, Monaco - and that fire lane.....

Quoting r2rho (Reply 16):
it needs a direct rail access to the terminal

Easier said than done - it is right on the main St Pancras line and cant be diverted that easily. I think a maglev like they have at LGW or STN - or even those pods they have at LHR T5!! - would be ideal, just build another platform next to the main line so it would just be a simple platform change. The bus certainly needs replacing as it can be far too slow at peak times.

As to access, the spur off the M1 is fine, but those approach roads need sorting out - fast dual carriageway, remove the roundabouts and cut out all the drop off crap when you get there. It can take longer just to get up the hill in peak times than it did from the M25 to the end of the M1 spur... its often quicker to walk up the hill. Then theres all the congestion from people stopping in places to do just that to avoid the ridiculous payment. They should give 10 mins free.

Having grown up with LTN as my childhood airport, I am so thrilled to see the expansion and growth. Back in the day all you would see within a couple of hours was a Manx Shorts 360, a FR 1-11 and maybe a ZB or BY if you were lucky...
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

GIANCAVIA

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Got a letter through the door today from GL Hearn Property Consultants about the planned expansion of Luton from 10 to Approximately 18 Million pax using the existing runway within its current boundary.

There is going to be a 12 week consultation programme starting January 23rd.

http://www.futureluton.co.uk/optimisation.html

Hope we get stuff rolling soon but no doubt 10 or 20 people will make a mess of this for the whole town (future city).

Unflug

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:19 pm

My very first flight was from Zurich to Luton in 1974 at the age of 15. I don't remember any building arriving in Luton - instead I remember that the arrival "hall" was something like a tent.

Is that possible? Or is my memory cheating me?

GIANCAVIA

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Quoting Unflug (Reply 26):
My very first flight was from Zurich to Luton in 1974 at the age of 15. I don't remember any building arriving in Luton - instead I remember that the arrival "hall" was something like a tent.

Is that possible? Or is my memory cheating me?

Well thats about 10 yrs before I was born but I do remember pictures of a large marquee looking tent type terminal in the Luton Airport History book at some point in time lol.

bjorn14

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 pm

all Luton really needs is a little extension to the runway/taxiways

Yes, to about 2500m.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

gilesdavies

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 28):
all Luton really needs is a little extension to the runway/taxiways

Yes, to about 2500m.

Im not really too convinced there is much of an argument for a runway extension at LTN... This will cost an awful lot of money, and going to bring little benefit to the airport.

Take STN down the road, they have a runway fully capable of handling all possible aircraft... With arguably better infrastructure and facilities, but both airports are only attracting the short haul Low Cost Carriers (with one or two small exceptions) which operate nothing larger than the A320 and 737 family of aircraft.

I think STN attracts a few cargo operators occasionally using aircraft like MD-11/747's that would struggle to be handled fully loaded at LTN...

Even if Luton had a larger runway, I struggle to see what operators would be attracted to the airport, when it is competing for the same markets as LTN, LGW and possibly LHR. You would also need a good few operators with larger aircraft using the airport, to make the runway extension pay.

There is nothing stopping aircraft like A332's, 763's and 787's going forward and travelling a reasonably length route, using the existing facilities. This is the policy BRS are taking with their runway.

richardw

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 29):
I think STN attracts a few cargo operators occasionally using aircraft like MD-11/747's ...

Aren't there more regular cargo flights?

GIANCAVIA

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:14 am

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 29):
Im not really too convinced there is much of an argument for a runway extension at LTN... This will cost an awful lot of money, and going to bring little benefit to the airport.

It could encourage long haul charter from Luton even from the 2 based airlines. Thomson with 787 when they get them. Monarch A330's? I'm pretty sure none can operate out of LTN fully loaded can they? Would probably allow for bigger freighters also. Lets face it.. LHR isnt going to expand, LGW will remain single runway.. Other London airports will have to step up, A runway extension would help Lutons cause in my opinion.

gilesdavies

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:20 am

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 31):
It could encourage long haul charter from Luton even from the 2 based airlines. Thomson with 787 when they get them. Monarch A330's? I'm pretty sure none can operate out of LTN fully loaded can they? Would probably allow for bigger freighters also. Lets face it.. LHR isnt going to expand, LGW will remain single runway.. Other London airports will have to step up, A runway extension would help Lutons cause in my opinion.

2001 Monarch operated their A330-200 LTN-SFB non-stop... This was a charter for Airtours, and operated weekly.

After the events of 9/11, the route was discontinued.

I think the 787 is supposed to have superior take off performance, and should be able to operate long hauls off of the current runway without an issue.

Bristol Airport has a 6000ft runway, and was going to lengthen it, but take the decision that with aircrafts like the 757 and 787, they will be able to operate long hauls with the existing runway. I think TOM operates non stop flights to Orlando with a 767-300 from Bristol at the moment.

GIANCAVIA

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Interesting I didnt think the 787 would have a chance.

Cool article on the dunstable herald and post site, Seems for once the councilors are behind the airport improving.

"Steve Heappey, director of customer and corporate services at Luton Borough Council, said new road layout and more security gates would be created to resolve the “shocking” queues currently experienced by passengers getting to and through the airport"

"The planned growth will happen within the current ‘footprint’ of the airport, with new taxiways to the runway, a new ‘pier’ along which passengers board planes and multi-storey car parking included within the plans."

Alot more of the article can be found at..

http://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/news..._must_expand_or_stagnate_1_3437288

GCT64

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:13 pm

LTN scheduled pax traffic is currently very "peaky" - the difference in car traffic, security and terminal experience for a 0745/0815 flight departure (pretty awful) versus a 0845/0915 flight departure (pretty easy and painless) is huge. LTN could easily expand capacity if it can find airlines to operate flights outside the current peaks, conversely, in my view, there is no room for adding more flights during the current traffic peaks.

An example of the peakiness:

WZZ has 13 A320 departures (2340 pax) within one hour: 0730 PRG, 0735 CLJ, 0735 TGM, 0750 BUH, 0805 WRO, 0810 BEG, 0810 GDN, 0815 BUD, 0815 BOJ, 0815 POZ, 0820 KTW, 0825 VNO, 0825 WAW - then no further WZZ departures until the afternoon. Anyone who has experienced LTN in this period knows it is not a pleasant nor calm experience.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos