Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

BoeingGuy

RE: Alaska Announces New Service Via Horizon Air

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 47):
Back in the day, WestAir used to fly multiple flights between the two points.

So did Air California fly several 732s a day SJC-SMF. PSA did several 727s (and an L1011 very briefly) on SFO-SMF.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 44):
Quoting hatbutton (Reply 22):
Stay tuned for more fun surprises soon

Looking forward to it - I might suggest PHL, PIT, BWI, or IND as options but I'm not that picky - love to see new AS service, whether or not it is ex-SEA.

Yeah, I've kind of been thinking that too. Seems like it's been awhile since AS has announced a new earth shattering route (no offense to MCI but it didn't knock my socks off).

I've posted my predictions before for their next new routes:

BLI-OGG (probably less than daily)
PDX-LIH
SEA-RDU
SEA-PHL
PDX-MIA
SJC-ORD
SJC-BOS
PDX-EWR
PDX-SJC-PVR
SJC-MEX (if they can get authority)

Probably not:

SEA-ITO
SEA-OMA
SEA-OKC
SEA-SAT

ghifty

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 9):
Looks like FAT-SAN is going to start as low as $59 one way.

Great fare for a weekend getaway. If the other routes, especially STS, are that cheap.. I know exactly what I'm getting my parents for their 20th anniversary!!
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

smoot4208

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 51):
BLI-OGG (probably less than daily)
PDX-LIH
SEA-RDU
SEA-PHL
PDX-MIA
SJC-ORD
SJC-BOS
PDX-EWR
PDX-SJC-PVR
SJC-MEX (if they can get authority)

SJC-PVR and PDX-LIH seem like the most likely candidates.

SANFan

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 51):
I've posted my predictions before for their next new routes:
BLI-OGG
PDX-LIH
SEA-RDU
SEA-PHL
PDX-MIA
SJC-ORD
SJC-BOS
PDX-EWR
PDX-SJC-PVR
SJC-MEX

Hey 'Guy, interesting list but a bit weighted toward, oh, I don't know, PDX, SEA and SJC. Given this thread's topic, and some of the posts, thoughts, and implications that have seen here, I notice that you have no predictions involving a certain good-sized city in the very south end of California?

I predict you might be surprised come this fall...

bb

BoeingGuy

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:56 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 54):
I predict you might be surprised come this fall...

Well yeah, of course. I live near SEA (guess who my employer is....) and hail from SJC so naturally I'm biased. That and the fact that AS has hubs in SEA, PDX and a nice small build up in SJC.

What is coming? SAN to where? Is it going to build up?

SonomaFlyer

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:00 am

I'm happy to see AS adding SAN to our options out of STS but totally bummed they are taking away LAS to support it! The LAS flight was packed every time I took it but perhaps the numbers weren't as high as projected for the SAN route.

BTW, the Q400's max range is roughly 1,610 miles/2,591km, the STS to SAN route is 509 miles.

wedgetail737

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:33 am

Quoting SonomaFlyer (Reply 56):
I'm happy to see AS adding SAN to our options out of STS but totally bummed they are taking away LAS to support it! The LAS flight was packed every time I took it but perhaps the numbers weren't as high as projected for the SAN route.

BTW, the Q400's max range is roughly 1,610 miles/2,591km, the STS to SAN route is 509 miles.

Keep in mind that the STS-SAN service is seasonal for the summer. I'm hoping the STS-LAS flights come back.

Coronado990

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 am

Thanks Horizon! It's about time you show some love on the SAN-intrastate flights. And this bone got some fat on it!  

I'm looking forward to some service on Horizon from SAN to LTO and LAP to compliment SJD as well. After all we are the gateway to Baja. Also, if AS could add a seasonal Saturday only non-stop to ANC from SAN, I'd be in heaven.
We're up.

mikesairways

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:59 am

I wonder if AS is keeping an eye on a little airline nursing quietly in the background based out of Carlsbad?
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

wedgetail737

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:08 am

Quoting mikesairways (Reply 59):
I wonder if AS is keeping an eye on a little airline nursing quietly in the background based out of Carlsbad?

Hmm. I don't know. California Pacific Airways is flying to different destinations than AS/QX.

SANMAN66

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 am

Hmmm, possibly to send a smiling eskimo there for some competition?  

It would be great if QX sent one of their Q400's to CLD. Nice plane for the job!

[Edited 2012-01-18 18:14:17]
PSA Gives you a lift!

smitty747

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:15 am

Does anybody think in the future that Horizon/Alaska could take on the big behemoth (WN) on the SAN-SMF route? I've always wondered why Southwest has been the only non-stop carrier on this route for so long. I know there are no significant connection possibilities between these two cities, but there does seem to be quite a demand. I'm sure a new carrier would likely get met with significant resistance from WN, but could a smaller aircraft with lower costs (like a Q400) make it work and break into that market?

SANFan

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:26 am

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 57):
Keep in mind that the STS-SAN service is seasonal for the summer. I'm hoping the STS-LAS flights come back

D, where was it mentioned about seasonality of any of the SAN flights? I asked about that in my post #27 and maybe I missed it but I've seen no confirmation about the status of these new routes. (I did see that the newly announced 3rd LA-STS flight is only scheduled through August.) Please direct me to that information.

bb

BoeingGuy

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:47 am

I'll believe they are real when they start service. I reminds me of the Bellevue Brewing Company. First he's going to open last year; then April; then June; then October; still nothing; then later this year......... I'll believe California Pacific is real when they actually start flying.

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 58):
Also, if AS could add a seasonal Saturday only non-stop to ANC from SAN, I'd be in heaven.

That would be interesting, but considering they discontued SFO-ANC (not sure if that's permanent) and do LAX. PDX and SEA to ANC I wouldn't expect SAN-ANC. I'd expect a resumption of seasonal SFO first, or maybe even SJC-ANC in the Summer?

It's also interesting to note, that with all of AS's expansion the last few years, they've added no new ANC destinations (other than their Hawaii expansion). They once stated that they'd eventually fill in some more cities, and maybe more in the east to ANC. All they've done is discontinue SFO and YVR's seasonal flights. DEN sticks around though. Part of it might be range though. Even the 738 might have trouble with DFW-ANC, EWR-HNL, ATL-HNL, etc.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 54):
I notice that you have no predictions involving a certain good-sized city in the very south end of California?

What, do you think AS is going to start flying into TIJ?  

wedgetail737

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:26 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 63):
D, where was it mentioned about seasonality of any of the SAN flights?
Quoting ASFlyer (Thread starter):
Alaska has announced new service from SAN-MRY, SAN-FAT, SAN-STS AND RNO-SJC, in addition to one additional STS-LAX flight for the summer.

Did I mis-interpret what ASFlyer originally said? Is the 3rd STS nonstop flight the only summer addition?

If the others are year-round...that's even better. I guess I get excited about the main point and do a terrible job at reading the details.

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 64):
I'll believe they are real when they start service. I reminds me of the Bellevue Brewing Company. First he's going to open last year; then April; then June; then October; still nothing; then later this year......... I'll believe California Pacific is real when they actually start flying.

I tend to agree. At least the new AS/QX flights are bookable. Hopefully they are full all the time.

All this new service is probably running the Q400 fleet pretty thin. The only places AS/QX could rotate the Q400's is through FAT and STS, which have links to SEA or PDX.

I hope more "fun" stuff comes soon from AS.

intsim

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:51 am

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 60):
Hmm. I don't know. California Pacific Airways is flying to different destinations than AS/QX.

That is what I was wondering but I could not remember their name, thank you.

It may be different destinations but isn't AS/QX very interested in selling their product to business travelers? This would be a good way to expand brand presence ahead of the California Pacific Airways' proposed start up. Especially with Horizon having some infrastructure at FAT and STS.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. It is nice to see AS/QX expanding on their outside the box strategy. It seems AS/QX could really take this to the national stage. 200 Q400s anyone!?

wedgetail737

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:17 am

Have all of the Lynx Q400's been in service with other airlines? Too bad AS/QX won't pick those airplanes up for additional service. Afterall, Alaska Air Group is turning out to be one of the more profitable airline companies and they rank high in customer service.

B595

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:19 am

Some people here have MRY-SEA or MRY-PDX on their wish list.

So here's a question: If one of the above came to fruition, would it be the first ever route from MRY to a west-coast destination north of SFO? I know, technically, MRY-DEN ends north of SFO (as did MRY-SLC), but those aren't west coast destinations.

Perhaps there was some oddball commuter flight like MRY-SMF, or MRY-TVL?

hatbutton

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:36 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 64):
It's also interesting to note, that with all of AS's expansion the last few years, they've added no new ANC destinations (other than their Hawaii expansion). They once stated that they'd eventually fill in some more cities, and maybe more in the east to ANC. All they've done is discontinue SFO and YVR's seasonal flights. DEN sticks around though. Part of it might be range though. Even the 738 might have trouble with DFW-ANC, EWR-HNL, ATL-HNL, etc.

I don't know if we will expand much more out of ANC. We are already taking ANC-ORD back to just once daily year round. I believe we added a second one in the summer. US is dropping PHL-ORD so that kind of indicates that going to the east coast may not work out like expected. As for SFO/LAX to ANC, it's hard to justify a nonstop when you can route people directly through SEA. If there is little competition for direct service, then it just makes sense to do a one stop. Which is exactly why GEG to anywhere in California hasn't lasted. It just makes more sense from the airline's standpoint to route through SEA.

I don't really think anyone is paying attention to California Pacific Airways. Isn't their business model just to capture flyers who don't want to fly out of SAN and would rather use CLD? Intra California flying isn't really AAG's thing until just now. So I doubt we feel threatened by them in any way, and I doubt this was a preemptive strike against CPA starting up. Plus CPA isn't planning on serving FAT or MRY. WN has the most to lose if they end up being successful.

BoeingGuy

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:44 am

Quoting B595 (Reply 68):
So here's a question: If one of the above came to fruition, would it be the first ever route from MRY to a west-coast destination north of SFO? I know, technically, MRY-DEN ends north of SFO (as did MRY-SLC), but those aren't west coast destinations.

I think you're right. There has been MRY-DEN as you indicate; UA did MRY-ORD for a very short time; Air California and PSA did MRY-SFO and to LAX and SNA. I don't recall anything from MRY non-stop to the north either.

Quoting hatbutton (Reply 69):
US is dropping PHL-ORD

I assume you meant PHL-ANC.

hatbutton

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 70):

I assume you meant PHL-ANC.

Haha whoops. I think I was thinking about ANC-ORD still when I typed that. Yes, PHL-ANC.

LV

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:15 am

Quoting SonomaFlyer (Reply 56):
Quoting ASFlyer (Thread starter):
To support the new Santa Rosa-San Diego route, Alaska will discontinue service between Santa Rosa and Las Vegas on June 3.

I have to admit I always scratched my head about the STS-LAS route... never really saw it as a market that needed at daily Q400. But with this route gone I wonder if G4 might consider opening it back up. A few times a week on a MD80 to match demand seems much more like what I would expect for this route.

mikesairways

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Apparently there is more to come:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Alaska...creases-prnews-3536454498.html?x=0

Starting service PDX-SBA as well as other cities in Montana
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

Tomassjc

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 67):
Have all of the Lynx Q400's been in service with other airlines? Too bad AS/QX won't pick those airplanes up for additional service.

QX did operate one ex Lynx Q400, N510LX, on loan from Bombardier, for awhile. It was an operational nightmare. 2 seats less and a different galley, lavatory and pit configuration. It required different weight and balance paperwork than the rest of the fleet and was not fun to work in an overbooked situation!

Quoting B595 (Reply 68):
Some people here have MRY-SEA or MRY-PDX on their wish list.

I could see QX doing 2 round robins a day. MRY-PDX-SEA-MRY-SEA-PDX-MRY. We get several customers in SJC who do the 90 minute (or longer) drive from the Monterey Peninsula to head north. But perhaps AS management fears any additional MRY service to the north would take away revenue from SJC?

Tom SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

SANFan

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Quoting mikesairways (Reply 73):
Apparently there is more to come:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Alaska...creases-prnews-3536454498.html?x=0
Starting service PDX-SBA as well as other cities in Montana

Yeah, I just saw these new routes listed on the OAG thread. I still wonder where all this Q availability is coming from? (Tightening up the schedule is one thing but...) It also occurred to me that all these new Q routes must mean the entire Q schedule must be totally different system-wide starting in June?

(Oooops, I see there is a separate thread on these latest route announcements. Having read the release, I also now see that PDX-SBA is being flown by OO with a CR7. That helps answer my own question above.)

bb

[Edited 2012-01-19 11:00:28]

wedgetail737

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 74):
But perhaps AS management fears any additional MRY service to the north would take away revenue from SJC?

MRY's airport is far enough away from SJC that I don't think it'll take a whole lot away. I think MRY is an experiment to see how much demand is there. I hope to see further expansion of MRY in the not-too-distant future.

hatbutton

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 75):
Yeah, I just saw these new routes listed on the OAG thread. I still wonder where all this Q availability is coming from? (Tightening up the schedule is one thing but...) It also occurred to me that all these new Q routes must mean the entire Q schedule must be totally different system-wide starting in June?

Well first it's important to note that the Q400 fleet isn't running at full strength if I remember correctly because of the teething problems they've had. But now that operational reliability is increasing, they likely can squeeze more out of these planes in one day than before. These are summer seasonal routes and it isn't uncommon to do this even at AS. Whenever a new route is started on the AS side everyone questions where the planes come from. Which makes sense for routes like SEA-MCI that are daily year round. But keep in mind that in the summer at AS, we schedule 10-15% more ASMs than we do in the winter, typically with the same number of airplanes. So adding summer seasonal service is not unrealistic with the current fleet.

The PDX-Montana flights are during the middle of the day, so those must just be general tweaks of schedules to get those airplanes to fit at those times. But PDX-BLI leaves PDX at 9pm and stays overnight in BLI and then returns at 6am. My guess is this aircraft ended it's day at 830pm and they are squeezing 2 more segments out of it each day and just having it stay the night in BLI.

SANFan

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Quoting hatbutton (Reply 77):
These are summer seasonal routes and it isn't uncommon to do this even at AS.

Hat', can you clarify once and for all about the SAN routes - seasonal or not? I know that a lot of the other routes have been announced as summer-only but I'm still unclear about our 3 new QX-routes... at least what the current plans are.

And btw, thanks for the explanation on the Q scheduling; that helps a lot.

bb

hatbutton

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 78):
Hat', can you clarify once and for all about the SAN routes - seasonal or not? I know that a lot of the other routes have been announced as summer-only but I'm still unclear about our 3 new QX-routes... at least what the current plans are.

The only route that has been announced in CA that is seasonal is the 3rd daily LAX-STS. That will drop back to 2x daily in the winter. So SAN-MRY, SAN-FAT and SAN-STS will be year round service at the level of frequencies reported.

Sure thing. I just went back and re read the internal release about all this new service and Glenn Johnson, the President of QX did mention that most of this new service was made possible by the increased reliability of the Q400 which indicates they won't come at the expense of any other routes.

ASFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 pm

The only seasonal route in the first announcement was the additional STS-LAX. The rest were year round.

SANFan

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting hatbutton (Reply 79):
SAN-MRY, SAN-FAT and SAN-STS will be year round service at the level of frequencies reported.
Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 80):
The only seasonal route in the first announcement was the additional STS-LAX. The rest were year round

Thank you guys. Year-'round was my interpretation and hope but I think many of us needed clarification. As I said earlier in the thread, there is absolutely no reason why any of the 3 SAN-routes should not be viable all year.

This just keeps getting better and better!

bb

san747

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:47 am

Great news for San Diego and I'm glad to see intra-CA flying making a comeback in general!
Scotty doesn't know...

RWA380

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:57 am

Quoting hatbutton (Reply 22):
Looks like the SAN experiment has finally begun. I hope these routes do well as I'd love to see us build up SAN. Stay tuned for more fun surprises soon

You know you're killing me here, So SAN is something planned as an experiment? Well hats off to everyone in the know, for keeping the secret so well. I am going to go crazy waiting for more announcements. I could gush on about AS & HA being my favs, but each expansion just solidifies this in my heart. If one could love an airline, I'd be considered smitten.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

SANFan

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 83):
You know you're killing me here, So SAN is something planned as an experiment? Well hats off to everyone in the know, for keeping the secret so well. I am going to go crazy waiting for more announcements. I could gush on about AS & HA being my favs, but each expansion just solidifies this in my heart.

Interesting, no? Believe me, '380, you're not the only one waiting for the next announcement!  

bb

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 84):
Interesting, no? Believe me, '380, you're not the only one waiting for the next announcement!

The earnings call is fast approaching....just sayin'....   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SANFan

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:53 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 85):
The earnings call is fast approaching....just sayin'....

Hmmmmm, they have been known to use the occasion to embellish the AS route map here and there haven't they...?

bb

B595

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 74):
But perhaps AS management fears any additional MRY service to the north would take away revenue from SJC?

I'm not sure the number of Monterey-area residents that fly out of SJC/SFO would greatly change. I don't have rigorous stats to support this, but I can say that a good fraction of my friends and associates will not be swayed to fly out of MRY no matter its flight offerings. This is because they don't want to be diverted at the end of a long trip home when MRY is socked-in with low ceilings. Like it or not, the airport has a reputation for frequent diversions. And this probably isn't going to change soon. The airport doesn't have the service to justify anything more than a CAT-I ILS. And to make matters worse, the CAT-I ILS 10R at MRY has a 300 ft decision height, which is 100 ft higher than a standard CAT-I ILS.

None of the above is meant to take anything away from Horizon's new MRY service. I hope it does well.

SANFan

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:36 am

Quoting B595 (Reply 87):
I'm not sure the number of Monterey-area residents that fly out of SJC/SFO would greatly change. I don't have rigorous stats to support this, but I can say that a good fraction of my friends and associates will not be swayed to fly out of MRY no matter its flight offerings. This is because they don't want to be diverted at the end of a long trip home when MRY is socked-in with low ceilings. Like it or not, the airport has a reputation for frequent diversions. And this probably isn't going to change soon. The airport doesn't have the service to justify anything more than a CAT-I ILS. And to make matters worse, the CAT-I ILS 10R at MRY has a 300 ft decision height, which is 100 ft higher than a standard CAT-I ILS.

None of the above is meant to take anything away from Horizon's new MRY service. I hope it does well

I have relatives in Monterey and Carmel and I know they will be thrilled with another option out of the MRY airport. They make the drive up to SJC now -- to fly to both SAN and SEA -- and do not like it at all; they don't like the drive up the usually very crowded 101 thru Gilroy, etc., they don't like the parking at SJC, and they don't care for the crowded "big" airport. I'm sure they will much rather take their chances with QX's nonstop, even with an early morning departure and a late evening arrival -- understandably the worst possible times for weather issues!

(BTW, don't most MRY diversions of smaller planes head for the Salinas airport -- if it's open -- just over the hills east of the coast? Or do they divert to SJC?)

Studies by MRY have apparently demonstrated a desire (and existence of traffic) for nonstop service to SAN so it's just a matter of whether or not the times are acceptable and the people will use the service. If things do work for SAN-MRY-SAN, hopefully SEA-MRY-SEA will follow sometime in the not-to-distant future.

bb

yeelep

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Quoting B595 (Reply 87):
The airport doesn't have the service to justify anything more than a CAT-I ILS. And to make matters worse, the CAT-I ILS 10R at MRY has a 300 ft decision height, which is 100 ft higher than a standard CAT-I ILS.

Doesn't the HGS equipped Q400's that Horizon flies allow lower minimums?

kgaiflyer

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 7):
And I do know that MRY wanted this service (to SAN)

I've flown MRY-SAN a couple of times. But in order to make the trip on either AE or UAX you have to make an annoying plane-change at LAX. Actually, Navy engineering MRY to Navy engineering SAN ought to be able to support the route singlehandedly.

Quoting SANMAN66 (Reply 18):
Does the Q400 has the range to make it from SAN to STS?

I've also done QX Q400s SEA-BIL (about 700 miles) . So STS-SAN should be a cake walk.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 4):
Since AS started sitting on 3 gates at Lindbergh a few years ago

Wouldn't these flights need to depart from the Commuter Terminal?

[Edited 2012-01-21 08:39:47]

Tomassjc

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 90):

I think that would be a logistical nightmare fro staffing at AS.

Tom SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

SANFan

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:28 pm

I've flown MRY-SAN a couple of times. But in order to make the trip on either AE or UAX you have to make an annoying plane-change at LAX. Actually, Navy engineering MRY to Navy engineering SAN ought to be able to support the route singlehandedly

Absolutely. I think a lot of people don't realize the military connections between the 2 cities; I've mentioned that in the past when this discussion has come up. And that's another reason the G4 service failed -- 2x weekly service wasn't really practical for the military. The AS schedule will actually allow 1-day trips from MRY down to SAN in the early morning and back up to MRY in the evening and I bet there'll be lots of trips like that happening. (I hope!)

I posted about this in Reply #43 in this thread, 'flyer. I still haven't seen confirmation anywhere about which terminal QX flights will use but my guess is still that they will share T1W real estate with AS mainline. (There's plenty of ticket counter space there so it's just a matter of how they manage the a/c parking.)

bb

kgaiflyer

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 92):
I posted about this in Reply #43 in this thread, 'flyer. I still haven't seen confirmation anywhere about which terminal QX flights will use but my guess is still that they will share T1W real estate with AS mainline. (There's plenty of ticket counter space there so it's just a matter of how they manage the a/c parking.)

I know CO docks their Q400s at (mainline) Concourse C and they use the jetbridges there, but I understand that's because the Expressjet gates in Concourse A are too close together for the Q400's wingspan.

Does T-1W have any authority-owned CUTE gates? I know both AC and WS go in and out of there.

B595

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Quoting yeelep (Reply 89):
Doesn't the HGS equipped Q400's that Horizon flies allow lower minimums?

You're right, the HGS could give Horizon an advantage. How much is not clear, because I think the gains in landing minimums are airport-dependent. In the case of MRY runway 10R, it doesn't have centerline lighting, touchdown-zone lighting, or high-intensity runway lighting (HIRL). Also, the non-standard 300 ft DH suggests there may be some other design limitation to the ILS that will factor in. So Horizon might not get the same reduction in minimums that they do at SEA, say. But I'm guessing it stands to make a meaningful difference. I can recall an occasion or two when a high-end business jet like a G450 (probably with HGS, SVS, etc.) made it in but no one else did.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 88):
I have relatives in Monterey and Carmel and I know they will be thrilled with another option out of the MRY airport.

I will be thrilled as well   I've personally had a trip scuttled because I forgot about the flea-market in the Prunedale area that backs up traffic on northbound 101 for miles.

SANFan

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 93):
I know CO docks their Q400s at (mainline) Concourse C and they use the jetbridges there, but I understand that's because the Expressjet gates in Concourse A are too close together for the Q400's wingspan

Sorry, 'flyer, but I'm not sure what airport you're referring to here.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 93):
Does T-1W have any authority-owned CUTE gates? I know both AC and WS go in and out of there.

Yes, the CUTE counters/gates are actually out of T2E, including the FIS gates, 20 and 21 which are in reality, the gates which connect T1 and T2. (That's where our Canadian cx call home.) All gates in T1 are airline-specific.

There used to be a gate 19 right next to the AS counter at the far west end of T1; it's now the temporary home of the USO until their fantastic new facility is opened (as part of the Green Build.) It turned out that gate 19 became somewhat land-locked between gate 18 and gate 20, especially when that big beautiful T7 wearing the Union Jack is sitting there for a couple hours each night, so it finally ceased to exist. (Also, it needed its own TSA/security arrangements which was a high cost item for the airport.)

But, as I said in my earlier post, there is the unused apron space which used to be gate 19, and along with 18, my theory is that AS might use that as a Horizon staging and parking area; in a sense, they would turn gate 18 into a multi-gate for several smaller planes as needed. Perhaps they might even be able to build a holding room, separate from gate 18's (out in the west rotunda), to handle the QX flights. There is quite a bit of lead time here, almost 6 months, so maybe there will be a little pocket of construction happening there quickly...

Hope this helps.

bb

kgaiflyer

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 43):
Even though the QX flights will be turboprops, I still expect they will be kept close to Chester's ballpark. In fact, I've always imagined that the apron including the former gate 19 and over toward gate 18 would make a very nice Horizon gate area. I'd have to study the aerial shots but I can see 2 or even 3 Q's parked there with pax entering the terminal via stairs to the second level from the tarmac. (Or maybe there's even room on the first floor of the west rotunda for a downstairs hold room for QX.)

In fact, QX and UAX have a similar arrangement at YYC ( you go down a hallway off to the side, after Security -- then turn -- then another hallway -- then through another doorway -- and there you are) where over the years wash-rooms, a news-shop, a bar-cafe, and a duty free shop have been built serving only this area.

kgaiflyer

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 95):
Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 93):I know CO docks their Q400s at (mainline) Concourse C and they use the jetbridges there, but I understand that's because the Expressjet gates in Concourse A are too close together for the Q400's wingspan

Sorry, 'flyer, but I'm not sure what airport you're referring to here.

Oh! Sorry about that.   

That would be EWR.

SANFan

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Quoting B595 (Reply 94):
I will be thrilled as well I've personally had a trip scuttled because I forgot about the flea-market in the Prunedale area that backs up traffic on northbound 101 for miles.

The Big Red Barn...

Oh that stretch of 101 is a killer (literally, in fact, all too often...)

With QX scheduling their only flight into that airport at those times, they must have some sort of plan.

As I think about it, it seems kind of strange, including from a staffing standpoint, to have op's at an airport, a single flight only, early in the morning -- for a 7:30 departure -- and in the evening for the 8:30 arrival. I'm sure these are contract personnel but still.

Or maybe, there's more MRY news coming...?

bb

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Not much has been said about the new SJC-RNO service. The timed flights seem good for connections to Hawaii and Mexico, although some of the connections might be kind of long. I haven't looked at their timetables. Also, it provides additional capacity for those who wish to go to RNO. The three nonstops between SEA and RNO seemed to always be booked solid and prices to RNO haven't been all that cheap, unless they are promotional start-up fares or CyberMonday fares. I hope this service is a successful one.

Quoting SANFan (Reply 88):
If things do work for SAN-MRY-SAN, hopefully SEA-MRY-SEA will follow sometime in the not-to-distant future.

I think if or when QX starts MRY-SEA, it will solidify MRY's position with AS/QX. MRY has its own tourist attractions like Cannery Row, the Monterey Aquarium, Sea Otters, Santa Cruz, etc. I think AS/QX could set up MRY like STS. Yes...different people fly QX for different reasons, but there's enough people around that if the prices are right, they will fly.

It's too bad that AS/QX couldn't start service out of CCR for the communities of Contra Costa County, where the population continues to expand. There are other smaller airports around near Contra Costa County that could easily handle a Q400, but are too close to already-served airports like Napa County Airport north of Vallejo, CA is too close to STS and Livermore Municipal Airport is too close to OAK.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos