Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8b775zq

RE: Rediscover Paradise - Caribbean Aviation Thread 94

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:50 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 46):
I will suggest that if a country is unable to make payments on its sovereign debt it is bankrupt. SKN has to restructure its debt with a major "haircut" to bondholders. It had to tell some of its bondholders of "delays" in making interest payments. That to me is bankrupt.

While I understand what you're saying it is wise to take news coming out of SKB/NEV with a bit of skepticism as most info is politically biased. Regarding the debt payments, it is not that we cannot make the payments but was a recommendation by the IMF in regards to a standby arrangement being pursued at the time. IIRC the delay was to be initiated for a period of 1 month and only regarded the November payments. I am sure I dont have to go into details of how many C'bbean Govts and nationals view the IMF at the moment but as of present no further announcement was made by the govt as to the IMF recommendation.

GUYAIR707

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:11 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 48):

There were about 100 pax between GEO and POS and about 40 got off in POS. Then the a/c was filled from POS to JFK.

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Quoting 8b775zq (Reply 50):

AE no longer operates to NEV.

OA260

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Just some quick questions.

Are there plans to renovate BGI Terminal ? Some things seemed to be in a run down state there .

Also the air field opposite the cruise ship port at SJU is it owned by the miltary or shared ?

For anyone interested my TR is here :

American Airlines B757 J Class MIA 2 The Caribbean (by OA260 Jan 26 2012 in Trip Reports)

Also how relaible is Redjet ?

LimaFoxTango

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:03 pm

CARIBBEAN AIRLINES TO BEGIN FLYING TO ST. LUCIA ON 10 FEBRUARY 2012

Piarco, 19 January 2012 – Caribbean Airlines is happy to announce the start of non-stop daily flights to George F. L. Charles International Airport, Castries, St. Lucia from 10 February 2012. The daily flights will operate as BW434, departing Port of Spain, Trinidad at 1:45pm and arriving into St Lucia at 2:50pm and BW435 departing St Lucia at 3:25pm, arriving into Port of Spain, Trinidad at 4:30pm.

http://caribbean-airlines.com/index.php/contact-us/newspr/?nid=177

baje427

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:11 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 53):

The economy in BGI is in a bad state right now its not only the airport that's run down but the general infrastructure of the country. Nice trip report as well .

8b775zq

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 am

Anyone knows if there has been an equipment change on the AA JFK-SKB route? Was watching the flight arrive yesterday and realised it was operated by a 738.

BWIA 772

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:27 am

I think this is my first post in a while and for the new year so Happy New Year to the forum and best wishes to all its members.

Quoting baje427 (Reply 55):

I have to disagree with you regarding the Airport. In the last 6 weeks I made one to many trips to the airport and while I agree that all the screens should be working etc the terminal is no where close to looking run down IMHO.

Also which part of the BGI infrastructure is run down. I just moved back after 3 years so when I go out later today I want to keep my eye for this run down infrastructure you speak of.

Does anyone have an idea of when SXM and MBJ will be in full BW colors. Also are will there be any more capital improvements to POS and TAB in the near future?

Also given the growth of the BW fleet, how much longer until they outgrow the current hangar facilities? Will a maintenance division be set up in KIN as well?

Regards
BWIA 772

LimaFoxTango

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:23 pm

The economy in BGI is in a bad state right now its not only the airport that's run down but the general infrastructure of the country. Nice trip report as well .

I don't know about the rest of Barbados, but certainly I would never say the airport is "run down".

OA260

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks for the reply here and on the TR . I mentioned some other things there also. I guess not seeing it for a number of years and then now made me notice lots more things. Sometimes when you see things everyday you dont notice the changes so much. Hopefully things will be better in future and not just for the Caribbean but the globe. I did enjoy my short time in Barbados though and will most likely be back. One Island I was really taken with was St Lucia. I had been twice before and this time I loved it so much. Antigua is another Island I loved, its changed in a positive way since I was last there.

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 57):
while I agree that all the screens should be working etc

I think its the attenton to detail that prompted my comments. The day I was there I noticed a few things. I should have taken photos but Im not one to highlight doom and gloom by such actions. Just a spring clean and brighter interiors would be nice. The FIDS had errors on them and others were bust. Even using these as advertising space or with photos of the wonderful beaches in Barbados would have been great. The architectural aspect of the building I have no issue with at all its a pleasant structure and open but it needs to be bright inside.

baje427

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:19 am

If you notice a lot of the roads are in need of desperate repair, (repairs are now limited too caution tape and barrels) some sections of the highway are unlit. While they may not be major it becomes noticeable when you live here.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 59):

No problem the departure lounge and arrivals halls are much nicer than the check in area I do agree it can do with some work but I don't expect it will be done anytime soon.

yellowtail

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:40 pm

I see CM has upgraded its KIN flight from an E190 to a 73G. Things looking up!

Quoting guyanam (Reply 19):
As a Caribbean South America we consider you to be a Caribbean Central American. As soon as a Belizean opens his mouth that creole dialect marks you as being one of us...not one of them....ElSalvador, Guatemala, etc. And ditto with that punta rock.

Have you heard the creole in Honduras? Sounds like St. Vincent!

BWIA 772

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 60):
If you notice a lot of the roads are in need of desperate repair, (repairs are now limited too caution tape and barrels) some sections of the highway are unlit. While they may not be major it becomes noticeable when you live here.

I have done my fair share of driving since I got back and yes they are some roads that are in desperate need of repair but I still do not think that it warrants the generalization that you have attached to the infrastructure in BGI being a state.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 61):

That is good for CM, I am hoping for them to launch BGI this year.

Regards
BWIA 772

baje427

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 62):

I guess stating the infrastructure in BGI is in a state was a bit much I believe RD has plans to start PTY as well so maybe the link will come but not with CM.

Beeski

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:53 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 53):

Are there plans to renovate BGI Terminal ? Some things seemed to be in a run down state there .

Also the air field opposite the cruise ship port at SJU is it owned by the miltary or shared ?

1) BGI's terminal is fine IMO.....more modern than most airports in the region.
2) the air field opposite the cruise ship port in San Juan is Isle Grande TJIG, it is a civilian airport with one of the coolest downwind to final turns in the world.....around El Morro. There is a helo PR Air National Guard unit based at TJIG which gives it a military flavor.

turk223

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:48 pm

I have to disagree with you regarding the Airport. In the last 6 weeks I made one to many trips to the airport and while I agree that all the screens should be working etc the terminal is no where close to looking run down IMHO.

Also which part of the BGI infrastructure is run down. I just moved back after 3 years so when I go out later today I want to keep my eye for this run down infrastructure you speak of.
Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 58):
I would never say the airport is "run down".
Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 62):
desperate need of repair but I still do not think that it warrants the generalization that you have attached to the infrastructure in BGI being a state

In a general sense, I was surprised to read that someone thinks our airport is "run down". A bit harsh...

The economy in B'dos is struggling, but I don't sense that our infrastructure is lacking in any extreme or "run down" sense... Are the lenses of my glasses a little too rose-coloured?

windian425

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:46 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 60):
The FIDS had errors on them and others were bust.

Nice trip report but can you elaborate on the above statement about the FIDS? Your feedback is welcome.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:38 pm

saw this posted on the CAL facebook page:

Quote:
Caribbean Airlines, I am a paying customer, I don't use miles or favors for a seat on your flights, I pay.
I travel 24 times a year within the Caribbean.
Every time I use your service in the Caribbean you invade my privacy with your intrusive advertising.
When I sit in my seat I would like to sleep, read or work on my PC without interruptions. HOWEVER, your Caribbean flights have this annoying, brainwashing infomercial playing with no options to listen on ear phone.
I don't want hear about cricket, calypso, carnival, steel pan, football, dasheen bush or any of things you are forcing upon me. Show your infomercial without audio, if a person have interest in it let them use ear phones. Let the PAYING passengers such as me enjoy the space they paid for without this obscene intrusion.
Caribbean Airlines, you are taking your customers for granted and in doing so violating their privacy, what you are doing is the same as the people who drive around with the music in their car's blasting. Or somebody smoking in a taxi.
The only difference is with them and you, you make us PAY for this abuse.

I do hope you read and understand this post and reconsider your current actions. It would be a shame to see your already financially unstable company faced with a class act law suit. ( To which I would subscribe if no change is done soon)

Now im confused, how is this a violation of privacy and abuse   . I fail to see the point of this persons post, I hope some one can make some sort of sense to it

andrefranca

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 67):
Now im confused, how is this a violation of privacy and abuse   . I fail to see the point of this persons post, I hope some one can make some sort of sense to it

I totally see his point, imagine you have some serious work to do on your pc or ipad, and you try to focus and there's always something blen blen ble blen or children crying or sounds around you etc... you just can't focus! and he gives a nice example: think of a music style you hate, in brazil i HATE forró and people here put forró on a blasting volume cause cops don't do anything to prevent them! somehow I'm having my privacy and my right of being on a silent enviroment violated!

most airlines put it into "earplugs only" set!

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 68):

well, not unless CAL upped the volume on the IFE, I never had a problem with it. In fact I hardly heard it on my last flight with them, the engines were alot louder than the IFE! But do you really think legal action would be needed for such a thing like this? I think its a bit uncalled for if you ask me

GUYAIR707

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 am

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 69):

Yeah I agree with you, this person is a little sensitive. CAL usually has the sound on for short hops on longer legs they use headsets. With such short flights I am not sure how much work can be done, but maybe they can cater for those that really need to get the last 5 mins in and issue headsets on all flights. I guess each person is different, I can do my work in almost any conditions if I have to.

I am also not sure how people expect to live in a world with 6 billion people (1 million ppl take the air each day) and not experience some inconvenience, unless you are willing to travel exclusively, like charter your own jet. There will be no interruptions then. How about a bus or the subway, maybe there should be no talking or children screaming there either.

The way I see it it's just a few hours out of your life, suck it up.

GUYAIR707

BWIA 772

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:13 pm

Do any of you guys know about this issue about the dispatch reliability of the ATR fleet.

http://newsday.co.tt/business/0,154587.html

Regards
BWIA 772

817Dreamliiner

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Interesting... This is the first time I'm hearing about this

LimaFoxTango

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:39 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 71):
Do any of you guys know about this issue about the dispatch reliability of the ATR fleet.

New aircraft teething problems perhaps? What about aircraft number 3? When is that being delivered?

caribbean484

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:47 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 71):

Not sure since we will not know the number, but I did hear of some teething problems, and familiarization to crew and engineers.
TTC should arrive sometime next month

CAL drops its 4w KIN-MIA-KIN route

BWIA 772

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 74):

Ok and what about the alleged non payment of suppliers, Is there any truth to that?

LI shareholder governments, management and unions had another meeting to discuss the future of that beleaguered airline. The issue of Caribbean Airlines and it's fuel subsidy was raised and I found the following quote from St Vincent PM particularly interesting.

Quote:
“Let’s face it; they have a subsidy, a very significant subsidy for aviation fuel. While they pay US $50 a barrel, we pay $110, $120 and sometimes more. Clearly no one wants to stop CAL and no one can properly stop CAL coming on any set of routes, but let’s have a level playing field and fair competition,” he maintained.

Gonsalves continued, “It is our contention that such unfair competition is subversive of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas and also of the Common Air Services Agreement in CARICOM and we must address this.”http://www.barbadosadvocate.com/newsitem.asp?more=local&NewsID=22491
http://news.barbadostoday.bb/barticl...ads&article=13871&pdate=2011-08-31

It would be interesting to see what comes out of this (most likely nothing) but still.

Regards
BWIA 772

aa1818

Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Shame. I guess it was really underperforming.

AA1818

guyanam

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:14 pm

[

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 75):

CAL gave up ANU POS, ANU BGI, and SXM BGI to Liat. Liat needs to stop bellyaching. There is very little competition between the two carriers. BWIA operated POS GND and POS SLU in times past. BGI POS was always a BW route.

LIats problem is they have a monopoly and abuse it. Their treatment of their passengers, staff and sub contractors as abysmal when ever they have service related delays. If a plane breaks down, or they overbook its not our fault. So why does LIAT behave as if it is, telling people they have to make their own arrangments, pay hotel, etc?

I have seen ground crews in SXM face abuse because LIAT HQ couldnt be bothered to inform them of delays, or equip them with the means to accommodate passengers I have little sympathy for them.

This is a world where competition is afact of life and LIAT needs to stop behaving as if they have a right to a monopoly.

baje427

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Are any of the routes LI operate profitable ? I am sure those in the other Caribbean forum will be happy about CAL's failure on the KIN-MIA route. I also heard on the news there was discussions on LI fleet replacement does anyone have any more info?

BWIA 772

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 77):

The reason why I said the fuel subsidy issue is interesting is that when you look to raise that issue under the context of trade agreements etc the ramifications then become quite interesting IMHO.

LIAT's problem is a failure to address LIAT shareholder governments do not want to ok the tough decisions that are needed to get the carrier on a footing that it can be financially viable.

How long did the route last? Also will TTC be in Caribbean or Air Jamaica colors?

Regards
BWIA 772

yellowtail

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:28 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 78):
I am sure those in the other Caribbean forum will be happy about CAL's failure on the KIN-MIA route.

And then AA increases MIA-KIn to 4X daily...which means the traffic is there

Then enlira in another thread posted this...

Quoting enilria (Thread starter):
AA DFW-BGI APR 0.4>0.1 MAY 0.4>0.1 JUN 0.4>0.2 JUL 0.4>0.1 AUG 0.4>0.1 SEP 0.4>0.2 OCT 0.4>0.1

AA seems to be having a hard time on DFW-BGI

BWIA 772

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:36 pm

I think a mix of ATR 42 and 72s to replace the Dash 8 fleet. There was talk about E170/190s which would open some south american and perhaps a North American route or 2.

Regards
BWIA 772

OA260

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Thought I would share some photos I took at SXM. What a wonderful place

More can be seen in the TR :

SXM Spotting A Dream Fulfilled+ Air Canada J Class (by OA260 Jan 31 2012 in Trip Reports)

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/SXMNEW/file-2286.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/SXMNEW/file-2078.jpg

Of all the Islands I thought St. Lucia was the best. I would love to go back there sometime. Maybe Next time
I will do some Island hopping and some nice regional flights.

guyanam

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:06 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 79):

LIAT continuously raises the fuel subsidy red herring when it scarcely competes with CAL (POS GND and now POS SLU). POS GEO, POS BGI were traditionally BWIA routes and LI fitted in when CAL in its early days underserved that market. BWIA and LIAT also competed on the BGI GEO route.

LIAT now has a virtual monopoly into ANU from BGI and POS and into SXM from BGI, lucrative routes. They ought to say thank you. But prefer to belly ache then face up to what their real problems are.

I suspect they want that fuel subsidy, but know they will not get it.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 80):

Well AA does have the advantage of feed and also lucrative corporate business that BW couldnt offer. Also the afternoon flight,as the only departure, didnt work, according to travel agents. Alsomany ppl travelfor the day, or want flexibility in travel times.

caribbean484

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 pm

How long did the route last? Also will TTC be in Caribbean or Air Jamaica colors?

Two months, low loads and not enough a/c for flight times. TTC I am not sure but they said that it should be, however there are no photos of her yet.

Lol, you will notice it said unconfirmed reports. For all we know someone was not seeing the a/c out of the hanger for a while and made speculations. The aircraft in question 9Y-ANU, is in maintenance as of the end of November just before the Christmas season started and is undergoing Heavy C checks. The airline is awaiting for CFM to send an engine to her as the engine has now reached to its serviceable life. All of CAL's older 737s will be going into Heavy C checks this year so we will be seeing quite a number of leases for the summer.

I have to agree LI shareholder's do not want to make harsh decisions.

And then AA increases MIA-KIn to 4X daily...which means the traffic is there

Summer months increase only, remember also AA did this from time to time.

Its looking like it.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 82):

Nice report.

point2point

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 82):
Thought I would share some photos I took at SXM. What a wonderful place

Great pix, but I have to question how anyone can enjoy the beaches there, when it seems that they're literally a couple of steps off of airport property, and anyone who can jump high enough can grab onto the landing gear of a jet....?

OA260

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 84):
Nice report.

Thanks  
Quoting point2point (Reply 85):
Great pix, but I have to question how anyone can enjoy the beaches there, when it seems that they're literally a couple of steps off of airport property, and anyone who can jump high enough can grab onto the landing gear of a jet....?

Alot of the time its quiet the jets are not passing over all the time. Most times its a light aircraft etc.. I got a good amount of sun and swimming in whilst I was there. You get up when the aircraft are on approach. Its a really nice experience and lots of other enthusiasts there. Some had their partners/Wives/Kids with them who were enjoying the beach / sea and the planes.

9YCAL

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:51 pm

Also will TTC be in Caribbean or Air Jamaica colors?

9Y-TTC was ear mark for JM colours but that has now changed and it is suppose to be delivered in the BW livery.

trintocan

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:30 am

So much is happening all at once. At first, though, I am forced to comment on the issue of LI. What unfair competition is there from BW? Again and again LI moan about BW but really, how many routes do they actually face each other on? POS - BGI was always a strong route for old BW. BW flew it several times daily in the past as a leg on routes elsewhere (LHR, YYZ, JFK, MIA, KIN) and LI's presence was relatively miniscule for many years. Indeed, before the vogue of nonstop flights from hubs came, many other airlines like BA, Pan Am and Eastern flew between the two islands and took local traffic. LI only really started marketing BGI as a destination from POS in the 1990s when they added TAB as a destination, as the flights went POS - TAB - BGI and were thus one-stop as opposed to the multi-stops they had before via GND and SVD. In any case GND later joined the original routing of that service. In spite of all of that, BW had so many daily nonstops between POS and BGI that they were largely the default choice of many. Subsequent to that the route saw Caribbean Star, Air Caribbean and EC Xpress all try their hands and ultimately fail.

As is well-documented, when new BW arose they did away with most of the regional multi-stop services (save for KIN) and so BGI saw less service from them and it was this which enabled LI, which went on to start a POS hub, to introduce BGI nonstops. BW has grown however and now runs several turboprop terminator flights alongside the KIN services. In effect it is recapturing the market its predecessor held for many years. So for LI to complain of "unfair competition", fuel subsidy notwithstanding, seems a bit at variance with the reality.

POS - GND has always had a fair amount of competition too over the years and old BW had a strong service level around 1999-2000 with 3 daily flights on the route, feeding into the POS hub. POS - SLU is nothing new regarding competition either as old BW flew into UVF (and SLU on occasion with MD83s) and BA do so every day at present (POS will lose Sunday BA services later this year). Above all, though, new BW has largely left POS - ANU, an extremely strong route for its predecessor and now LI have this and BGI - ANU all to themselves. That these high-volume routes, plus the services to islands like DOM which have few alternatives are not helping the airline to at least get a steady revenue stream and try to refocus themselves into a more viable entity suggests deep-seated problems.

LI seem to want T&T to step in, infuse it with cash and perhaps offer them a fuel subsidy but for many reasons I do not see this happening, especially as the BW subsidy is becoming increasingly controversial.

Are any of the routes LI operate profitable ?

That could be the pivotal question in all of this.

That's a bit of a shame but that route has been an AA stronghold recently. Old JM left the route around 2009 after noting heavy losses. It seems that the brethren who flew JM are based more towards FLL.

Trintocan.

baje427

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:52 am

I always wondered what was the rationale behind this flight as most of AA connections can be done in MIA I also don't understand the rationale behind restarting AE SJU-BGI as loads were poor in the past cant imagine they would be much better. Given AA's bankruptcy position i wont be surprised to see DFW go and JFK cut to seasonal to BGI. I believe the BTA might have been better off seeking a winter seasonal service from ORD.

caribbean484

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 am

Quoting trintocan (Reply 88):

You never cease to amaze me with your historical accounts, its always good to have someone like that around.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 83):

I still cannot understand why LI is aching on and on about routes they never had a strong presence in. CAL/BWIA always dominated POS-BGI, BGI-GEO, POS-GEO and they competed on POS-GND. CAL today still carries a significantly large number of pax on all three routes as their predecessor did and it includes POS-KIN route, no airline has been able to knock them off the route.
LI has a near virtual monopoly on most routes and will continue as I doubt that CAL will island hop like LI does. One thing is as was mentioned they got BGI-ANU. POS-ANU and BGI-SXM all to themselves and still complain?
But as BWIA772 mentioned the shareholders of LIAT know they have to make drastic decisions in Li but for reasons they would not allow it. LI can be lean and mean, however without enough strong courage it will continue to limp, such as new props, streamlining operations and routes, and better staff relation.

Correction to the 9Y-ANU engine scenario, while ANU was in the shop, SLU's engines was un-serviceable and they replaced it with ANU's and are awaiting CFM to send a new one plus a spear.

turk223

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 am

So here is why some regular a-netters may see me posting often about the lack of a CM service PTY-BGI. It's purely for selfish reasons: the alternative for flying from Colombia to BGI is ridiculous.

I live in Medellín and my "best" option to get home is to fly CM MDE-PTY-POS and connect POS-BGI on BW or LI. All for over $1000 USD. PLUS an awful 5 to 8 hour lay-over in POS. The MDE-POS fare on CM is only a little over $500 USD. Most travel sites offer an AA connection over MIA; again over $1000 and nearly 16 hours of travelling.

So, selfishly I don't want to spend so much or travel so long.

But, on a less selfish rant... How can the B'dos government ever expect to open our country to new markets, such as Latin America? Will we always just want to depend on Americans, Canadians, or the British?

I feel the B´dos government should be BEGGING CM to fly PTY-BGI! Not just for me! For the good of out fragile tourist industry... South Americans have money too and it spends just as well in B'dos as it does in Aruba, Jamaica, St. Maarten, and Nassau...

BWIA 772

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:41 am

All of CAL's older 737s will be going into Heavy C checks this year so we will be seeing quite a number of leases for the summer.

Are you talking about the initial 6 737s ordered under Aleong? So what type of equipment will we be seeing for the leases?

I have to agree LI shareholder's do not want to make harsh decisions.

The thing is that progress with BW and JM was only seen when the politicians decided to make the tough decisions. For the GOJ it was to sell JM and to take the hit with the losses, GROTT it was not just shutting down BWIA but also breaking the Union and creating an environment that allowed the new airline to foster better work place relations. The principal shareholders and unfortunately the Government of BGI usually the bearer of common sense has joined the lacking in testicular fortitude faction in dealing with the issues that plague LIAT.

Unfortunately not given as much coverage by the media and the LI officials who spoke was the adoption of a business plan that we developed by the UWI business unit. The BoD sent out RFP for a business plan to be developed UWI won the bid, the plan was presented, discussed and adopted. I

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 90):

I really do not see why you or anyone else on the forum cannot understand what the moaning is about. One of the key tactics in avoidance is to draw attention the away from the main issue, the moaning is drawing attention away from the main issue - seriously did you expect PM Gonsalves to ask PM Stuart why he and his government back Redjet so vigorously....or ask Spencer has it ever occurred to you to classify LI as an essential service which would have eliminated strike action from the arsenal of industrial action?) .

In the past the moaning has been done by raising the issue of LI at CARICOM Heads of Government Meetings, this obviously has gained little traction. So clearly a new method has been adopted and I must say looking at the subsidy as a possible infringement of the CARICOM treaties is well... innovative though short sighted IMHO

Regards
BWIA 772

[Edited 2012-01-31 18:45:03]

caribbean484

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 92):
Are you talking about the initial 6 737s ordered under Aleong? So what type of equipment will we be seeing for the leases?

Yep, cannot say as of yet as final decision is not made but LGW will be announced soon according to the wire.

I really do not see why you or anyone else on the forum cannot understand what the moaning is about.

Its business/politics one-on-one, Aleong did the same thing when the charter airlines came into Trinidad, he complained that they were dumping seats and lowering fares to unrealistic levels, masking the fact BWIA was insolvent.

guyanam

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 90):

LIAT wants to get Trinidad $$ through investment and the fuel subsidy. THey need to know that Tdad has its own problems and in fact will shortly cut loose CAL to fend on its own. Why will they want another headache? CAL is an essential service for T&T. LIAT isnt.

caribbean484

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:09 pm

That's a bit of a shame but that route has been an AA stronghold recently. Old JM left the route around 2009 after noting heavy losses. It seems that the brethren who flew JM are based more towards FLL.
Quoting AA1818 (Reply 76):

The Jamaican population is more concentrated in Broward county and having 3 daily flights to FLL is a much better compliment than the lunch time flight to MIA. If MIA was to be sustained CAL would have had to move all flights from FLL to give business pax options of early morning, late afternoon and late evening flights. The same thing happened with JM when they too focused on FLL than MIA, most people choose FLL over MIA and the rest is history.
At least it did not cost them too much as the infrastructure in MIA was already there.

It is being report that CAL will start POS-LGW June 14th 2012 and POS-BGI-LGW July1st, KIN-LGW will be pushed to later 2012.
Both 767 from LAN Airlines will be in POS in May this year, and will be doing some proven flights to JFK and YYZ.

[Edited 2012-02-01 11:13:02]

817Dreamliiner

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 95):
It is being report that CAL will start POS-LGW June 14th 2012 and POS-BGI-LGW July1st, KIN-LGW will be pushed to later 2012.
Both 767 from LAN Airlines will be in POS in May this year, and will be doing some proven flights to JFK and YYZ.

This is good news, im glad they chose LGW instead of LHR, I would think that LHR would be too much an expense for them with getting decent slots. You know, I probably never mentioned it before, but I personally would have preferred if they had gotten an A333 instead of the 767

OA260

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:45 pm

That would be great to see. Hope it does well.

guyanam

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Intersting. I would think with the withdrawl of VS from KIN there would be more room to LGW than there would be on BGI and POS. Given how entrenched BA and VS are. BA with virtually daily service from POS.

BWIA 772

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:00 pm

route

Best of luck to BW on this, they will need it.

Regards
BWIA 772

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos