Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LOWS

RE: AA-Feb 1st: Free Beer/Wine On Most Intl Flights

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 35):
LH lacks PTVs in the 747

for the 1000th time...the LH 744s are getting PTVs and new Y seats if they are staying in the fleet.

I never understand why people need them so much. Bring a book, get a few magazines, etc...

IrishAyes

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 50):
I never understand why people need them so much. Bring a book, get a few magazines, etc...

Look at how many airlines are installing Wi-Fi on board their planes, and then see the number of laptops and iPads, etc that people use on board as a result.

IFE = instrumental.

chopchop767

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 35):
Anyways, I'm glad AA took this step...brings them in line with their partner BA and one of their main competitors DL. If UA wants to be the premier American carrier they need to do this as well.

I tend to disagree: I don't think free alcohol in Y contributes much to an airline's reputation as a 'premier' airline. I'd say consistency in the level of FA customer service and hard-product have a greater impact on claiming that mantle. Don't get me wrong, kudos to AA for the decision, but it's surprisingly nonetheless. Do people really grumble that much about paying for a drink to Europe?

Perhaps, I'm just used to it, but I prefer paying for alcohol in Y. Then again, maybe UA/US have conditioned me to this mentality since I always fly them heading back to the States. I would rather have the option to buy three scotches or three bottles of wine and that's it; I don't have to bother the FA with 'would you mind if I have another...' I've flown LH a few times across the Atlantic, and it just felt awkward, 'would you mind if I had another beer?'; even during the drink service. The FA was extremely obliging, but it made me a little self-conscious.

Is my memory failing me, or did UA used to offer the first cocktail on Intl' free, and then additional ones were at charge?
this year: nap, lgw, fra, dub, fco, add, jib, muc, iad, sea, dca, bos, cdg, ist, bah, prg, ord, hsv, cmn

malaysia

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 8):
Since I'm flying DFW-MAD on Feb 2 in their otherwise terrible Y product, this is excellent news!

AA has better avg menu/portion specifications in my opinion on international Y class vs other American carriers.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

eastern023

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Quoting malaysia (Reply 53):
AA has better avg menu/portion specifications in my opinion on international Y class vs other American carriers.

No way this is true... UA is somemewhat better, but AA the food is not even edible so the portion size is less relevant....and I am really NO peaky eater... But I get it US to Chile is the cheapest option...
AA will Rise Again!

aa61hvy

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:30 am

Nice! Just wished they did this months ago. Spent $49 on vodka going to LHR from DFW.
Go big or go home

mikey72

Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:17 am

Quoting LOWS (Reply 50):
for the 1000th time...the LH 744s are getting PTVs and new Y seats if they are staying in the fleet.

Is that an LH advertising line ?..bring a book

It's an 'archaic' state of affairs for an airline such as LH.

How long have PTV's been standard in economy for any self respecting airline now ?

[Edited 2012-01-19 23:20:12]
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:33 am

Quoting etops1 (Reply 39):

How is it any different than having free alcohol in F?? You do your due diligence to serve as much as you think they can have then cut them off.

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 47):

Just to clarify but you were not on a 76T. Just because it has winglets does not mean it's a 76T. Of the 58 active 763ERs, only 10 are without winglets. All our 76Ts not only has PTVs throughout the cabin but lie flat suites in J.
What gets measured gets done.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos