Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

questions
Topic Author

How Are Modified Airline Livery Images Produced?

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:25 am

It seems every time a new livery comes out, there's a merger, or people comment on an old livery someone posts an image of a modified livery they think looks better.

How are these images made? What software is being used?

VC10er

RE: How Are Modified Airline Livery Images Produced?

Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:40 am

At LANDOR we may get a brief to either completely change or just update a livery. Most often and most recommended is a strategic phase to obtain much information: interviews with senior management, a review of their current brand strategy and where they want to go. Some may feel that their core identity is most appropriate or we may recommend that the current symbol be retained but many other parts of the branding need not only updated but in line with their new brand strategy. Two extreme examples: Cathay Pacific wanted to move from an engineers design in green and orange and bring Cathay into a world class airline at the same level as our BA design or our Singapore design, therefore the livery you see today. SQ came back to us once they had achieved the position as the world's best airline (via consumer research) so we modified the livery e.g. Made the swan gold vs amber and added touches like the amber stripe on the rear of the tail and on the cheatline.

This work is both done in illustrator and photoshop on Macs for design purposes with CAD drawings of a 747 or 777 etc. Final artwork or specs were done by hand until the early '90's (I have the original inked drawings for Northwest's bowling shoe- guess how small the navy blue stripe was on the nose?) today I'm not sure how they are delivered. I would assume layered illustrator files which are then converted to the painters systems.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

rikkus67

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:34 am

A program similar to 3D Studio Max would probably be used now, to allow for the choice of 2 dimensional drawings, or full 3D imagery.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

Superfly

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 am

Has anyone been able to recreate a bare polished metal with any software?
When I see members post their livery ideas, the ones with bare metal looks grey.

I'd really like to see a 747-8I in bare polished metal.
Bring back the Concorde

garpd

Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:53 am

I use Illustrator for all the main design work (logos, typefaces, colours, etc) and Photoshop for the presentation.
I have a catalogue of template Aircraft profiles. I find it easier to create a representative semi-realistic look in Photoshop.
Besides which, Photoshop has much better facilities to crunch file sizes for web viewing.

For example:
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2467/boeing737200.png

My illustrations for clients are much less photo realistic as the shade and highlights confuse them!

I did a step by step guide to creating drawings like the one above about 8 years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

[Edited 2012-01-23 00:01:17]
arpdesign.wordpress.com

FI642

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 pm

British Airways' Landor Livery was the best there ever was, and may ever be.
I for one would love to see them return to it!
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

Superfly

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Quoting FI642 (Reply 5):
British Airways' Landor Livery was the best there ever was, and may ever be.
I for one would love to see them return to it!

Agreed!
However I do like the bare polished metal of American Airlines and the previous Aeromexico livery.
Other liveries I like is Iberia, LOT Polish, Air China and the Olympic Airways which is no longer with us.
I'd like to see airlines that aren't buying the newer plastic planes (787/A350) to consider a bare polished livery with cheatline.
Bring back the Concorde

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos