Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wilco737
Topic Author

D-ABVA Ferried To BGR And TUP

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:35 am

Hi guys,

this thread about LH retiring their 744s is archived.

D-ABVA was now in FRA for a while:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Thomas Merkl

And now it is flying to BGR and then continues to TUP.

http://www.flightradar24.com/#!/DLH9930

Why does it make the stop in BGR? Anybody any infos on that? It could easily go nonstop to TUP.

Thanks.

Bye bye D-ABVA.

wilco737

Eagleboy

RE: D-ABVA Ferried To BGR And TUP

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 am

I think it has to stop in BGR for customs purposes. In the US not all airports can accept international flights.

I was following a disposal last year where and A333 flew BOD-BGR-GWO. (Currently being parted out)

wilco737
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 1):
I think it has to stop in BGR for customs purposes. In the US not all airports can accept international flights.

Sounds reasonable. I guess in TUP costums clearance is not possible.
Thanks for the info.

So spotters in BGR: get your cameras ready.

wilco737

LAXintl

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:44 am

Probably clear customs/immigration as Tupelo is not an approved CBP port of entry.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

notaxonrotax

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:51 am

Is TUP storage or the scrapper??
Is she (still) for sale?

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

DL_Mech

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:14 am

I wonder how many boxes are in the cargo hold holding 20+ years of aircraft records and documentation.......
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

zkojq

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Wow D-ABVA sure has put in a lot of work for Lufthansa. It is a pity that she has to be scrapped. I hope her parting out will ensure that plenty of other 747s can stay in service. Is TUP the same place that Lufthansa's 737-500 are being parted out at?

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 1):
I was following a disposal last year where and A333 flew BOD-BGR-GWO. (Currently being parted out)

Which A333 was that, just out of curiosity?
First to fly the 787-9

Candid76

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Isn't Tupelo the new base for one of the established scrap dealers (Aeroturbine perhaps?).

As far as I know the 735s are going to Gary so probably a different breaker. It does seem strange though that LH is sending its newest 735s for scrap and keeping the older ones flying

mhodgson

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 6):
Which A333 was that, just out of curiosity?

EI-ORD apparently.
EI-ORD To Be Scrapped - 1st Scrapped A333? (by denklug Mar 25 2011 in Civil Aviation)
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

gdg9

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Why fly it all the way to the U.S. for scrapping? Surely there are scrapyards in Europe - I know I've seen photos of a few heavies getting cut up in the UK. Is the cost that much better in the U.S.?
@dfwtower

tjwgrr

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Quoting gdg9 (Reply 9):
Why fly it all the way to the U.S. for scrapping? Surely there are scrapyards in Europe - I know I've seen photos of a few heavies getting cut up in the UK. Is the cost that much better in the U.S.?

More people drink canned beer in the US, and Europeans drink more bottled and draught beer?

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

PanHAM

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:46 pm

funny thing there happens to be an aluminium company near the airport. But no sign of a salvage company. Anyway, aircraft are sold to the highest bidder and ferried to the airport specified in the contract.

Must be a nice job for the pilots, oustide routine. Elvis fans volunteer!  
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

flyingalex

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Quoting gdg9 (Reply 9):

It's the other way around - the scrappers pay the airline a certain amount of money for the aircraft. The scrapper in TUP probably made the highest offer.
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar!

wilco737
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 11):
Must be a nice job for the pilots, oustide routine.

I love such flights, but difficult to get onto such flights.

But a sad flight somehow...   

wilco737

flyingalex

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:38 pm

I wonder how the crew positioned home after the flight - a rental car and then LH's ATL-FRA?
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar!

wilco737
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Quoting flyingalex (Reply 14):
I wonder how the crew positioned home after the flight - a rental car and then LH's ATL-FRA?

Most probably something like that. Done that myself when I flew out of VCV. Flew into LAX and then drove up to VCV.

wilco737

trigged

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 15):

Most probably something like that. Done that myself when I flew out of VCV. Flew into LAX and then drove up to VCV.

wilco737

Why not just fly CO 4384 from Memphis to Newark then LH 403 to Frankfurt? Only a 97 mile drive from Tupelo to Memphis. The drive from TUP to ATL is over 280 miles.

notaxonrotax

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:40 pm

You´ve ever done a trip report for that one?
Must be amazing to be the one to "blow off the dust" from the controls etc.

I imagine there was some LH Technik personnel before you; and then how does it work? Did they have to move a lot of planes around to free "yours" up? Looking at those VCV pics, it can get pretty crowded!
The warehouse where we store our caravan comes to mind; you better call ahead cause it will take a while to move all the dusty buggers around so we could move ours!!

I for one would be interested in more details on how you fly a plane out of long time storage.
And into storage for that matter.......do you drop off "the keys" (paperwork etc) in the VCV office and jump in your hire car or is there a more lengthy protocol in place?

Cheers,

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

wilco737
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Quoting trigged (Reply 16):
Why not just fly CO 4384 from Memphis to Newark then LH 403 to Frankfurt? Only a 97 mile drive from Tupelo to Memphis. The drive from TUP to ATL is over 280 miles.

Is for sure an option as well. When I meet the crew, I will ask them 
Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 17):
You´ve ever done a trip report for that one?
Must be amazing to be the one to "blow off the dust" from the controls etc.

No, no trip reports. I used to do some, but because of some weird emails of some a.net users I stopped it  
I imagine there was some LH Technik personnel before you; and then how does it work? Did they have to move a lot of planes around to free "yours" up? Looking at those VCV pics, it can get pretty crowded!

I was only the 3rd guy, as the ferry flight took us to XMN (almost 15 hours) and thus 3 pilots were needed. The other 2 captains were in VCV couple of days before me and did ground tests, flight tests, paperwork and all that stuff. Then I cam, enjoyed a day in VCV and then we flew off to XMN, nonstop.

I for one would be interested in more details on how you fly a plane out of long time storage.
And into storage for that matter.......do you drop off "the keys" (paperwork etc) in the VCV office and jump in your hire car or is there a more lengthy protocol in place?

More or less. Lots of paperwork and lots of organisation in advance, so basically you get to the airport and everybody awaits you.
There are different types or storage. Ours were partly stored, so the company taking care of the airplane had to check it every once in a while and move it and have a good eye on it.
So after a little over a year, the conditions the airplanes were in, were pretty good. So we ferried them to XMN where they had to enjoy a long and expensive check.

I am sure in TUP they are awaiting the crew and airplane already. So just 'hand over' the keys and off to the hotel and enjoy your day.

wilco737

notaxonrotax

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 18):
No, no trip reports. I used to do some, but because of some weird emails of some a.net users I stopped it

Okay, that sounds weird.

Ours were partly stored, so the company taking care of the airplane had to check it every once in a while and move it and have a good eye on it.
So after a little over a year, the conditions the airplanes were in, were pretty good.

Interesting, that is so good about this site; you learn all the time.
So there are companies dedicated to maintaining stored aircraft, moving them around etc.

So we ferried them to XMN where they had to enjoy a long and expensive check.

Interesting, does LH have a maintenance base there?

So how did you get home from XMN? Hitch a ride to the closest lufthansa commercial connection?

No Tax On Rotax

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Coincidentally, I'm spotting in BGR this week . When I saw this flight scheduled into BGR and onto TUP, I was sure it must be a Flightaware glitch, but it really came through. I couldn't get any clear shots, though unfortunately. Never would have imagined a 747 at TUP. That's one of the smallest airports I've ever flown through commercially. Wish I could have seen it arrive there!

BGR has been extremely slow the last two days. I've only seen one North American 757 charter from Leipzig, a C-5A and a C-17 flying today, and I've been out around the airport perimeter all day. Right now, I'm watching a Centurion Air Cargo MD-11 preparing for departure to MEX.. Just came in about an hour ago from AMS. Other than those movements, nothing really going on today. There is a Brazilian Navy P-3 out on the ramp, but it hasn't been flying since I've been here.

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 2):

Sounds reasonable. I guess in TUP costums clearance is not possible.
Thanks for the info.

Correct, and thus the reason TUP is named Tupelo Regional Airport. If there were customs availible it would be Tupelo International Airport, regardless if there were international flights or not.

Quoting trigged (Reply 16):

wilco737

Driving from TUP to ATL is at least six hour. Best bet for getting home would have been to deadhead on a DL flight from TUP to MEM, and then take the DL flight from MEM-AMS, then the ICE train to Frankfurt. Or, they could have driven 45 minutes south to GTR and deadheaded to ATL to catch a flight to FRA.

Remember, airline crews can deadhead on other carriers if seats are open. Most airlines are part of a reciprocal agreement that permits crews from other carriers to fly if they're is space available. Last week there was an Air Tran first officer on my DL flight from ATL-PWM. I talked to him and he said he was flying the PWM-BWI flight early the next morning.

[Edited 2012-01-25 15:56:44]

[Edited 2012-01-25 15:57:50]

redrooster3

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:32 am

What was her last scheduled flight?
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!

Carmelo

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 am

Quoting redrooster3 (Reply 21):
What was her last scheduled flight?

Orlando - Frankfurt 31/12
Carmelo

wilco737
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:13 am

Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 19):
So there are companies dedicated to maintaining stored aircraft, moving them around etc.

Yes, in VCV the company did the repair of the MD11F which had the hard landing in MEX, and they do the storage of the airplanes as well. They did a good job and the airplane was in pretty good shape.

No, LH doesn't have maintenance there.

So how did you get home from XMN? Hitch a ride to the closest lufthansa commercial connection?

We flew on Xiamen airlines to HKG and then LH to FRA. But one other time I flew back on duty from HKG to ALA and then to FRA.

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 20):
Remember, airline crews can deadhead on other carriers if seats are open.

Yes, that's true. But on such trips we usually get a fully booked ticket. That's at least what i got when deadheading with other airlines and I dead headed a lot with AA and sometimes DL.

wilco737

flyingalex

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:08 pm

The big maintenance shop in XMN is TAECO:

http://www.taeco.com/s1.asp

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 20):

Remember, airline crews can deadhead on other carriers if seats are open. Most airlines are part of a reciprocal agreement that permits crews from other carriers to fly if they're is space available. Last week there was an Air Tran first officer on my DL flight from ATL-PWM. I talked to him and he said he was flying the PWM-BWI flight early the next morning.

Yes I know, but:

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 23):

Yes, that's true. But on such trips we usually get a fully booked ticket. That's at least what i got when deadheading with other airlines and I dead headed a lot with AA and sometimes DL.

... which is why I was thinking that the return would likely be via the closest LH gateway.

NWAROOSTER

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Sometimes an aircraft that is being ferried to a bone yard, without the possibility of reuse, is ferried there by a contract flight crew and not the airline's flight crews. The airline would prefer to have the flight crews operate revenue flights.   
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos