Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IndianicWorld

RE: Australian Aviation Thread # 58

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 am

Quoting QF175 (Reply 48):
First Class is available on CZ's A330-300 services ex-Sydney and Brisbane (4 seats each flight), along with Business, Premium Economy and Economy.

Interesting.

It appears that the CZ A380s are confugured 8F/70J/428Y (506 Total), which is a lot of capacity to fill. I still think it will take quite a while to head this way, especially with 78 Premium seats to fill (F/J).

qf002

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:00 am

All this ADL discussion -- perhaps the demand simply does not exist. We have seen QF shy away from services out of ADL for years, and there are only really two serious carriers out of ADL today (SQ with 8 flights a week and MH with 6), with CX making inroads this year.

Perhaps QF is right in their attitude that ADL cannot support a large number of flights?

ben175

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:32 pm

CZ also offers F on on A330-300 flights to PER, which makes it and EK the only two airlines offering a First product out of Perth.

cam747

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:54 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 51):

NZ also has a daily flight to Auckland which I hear is doing pretty well.

I find it a bit sad that QF has basically given up on ADL and would prefer to ferry us through SYD or MEL for international flights. IF they could be a bit more competitive on price, I think they would do better out of Adelaide. I fly to Asia a couple of times a year, and always really want to fly QF, but the fare is usually about $1400 on QF, and about $900 on MH so I usually go with MH.

Obviously ADL can't sustain the same sort of services as PER or BNE, but I do think with a population of 1.2m, another low cost international service to Asia would be a huge success. (AirAsiaX....I'm waiting...   )

I do however think if a premium carrier such as EK or EY decide to start direct services out of ADL, that will be the end of direct QF international services out of ADL.

PITrules

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:38 am

Quoting tayser (Reply 38):
^ anyone know what a 747 is doing at a T1 gate? Probably hasn't been one of them since the 743s stopped flying to PER
Quoting tullamarine (Reply 44):
It is either
- Antarctic flight
- 744 subbing for A330 on a PER service

Didn't QF introduce 744 service on the PER-SYD/MEL run when Virgin Australia started domestic A-330 operations?

Quoting tullamarine (Reply 44):
I was at MEL on Monday and the international terminal is seriously maxxed out. It is great that there has been such growth but there probably has to be another extension to cope with all of this. The current T3/T4 plans don't loook like they fully address this.

Instead of planning and building for long term growth, I always thought the T2 extension seemed like a hodge podge add on with limited growth potential. Now MEL is already at that capacity, and they are stuck with that thing.

Quoting EK413 (Reply 45):
Any indications as to where the airport will expand the aprons next...? The layout doesn't seem to give much room for expansion..
http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/M...-0844-47dd-aa88-0faabd9ec7c0-0.pdf
FLYi

JQflightie

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 54):
Didn't QF introduce 744 service on the PER-SYD/MEL run when Virgin Australia started domestic A-330 operations?

QF have had the 744 on SYD-PER before DJ even got their A330's, in anticipation for the commencement of DJ's A330 service.
QF do not currently run 744's on MEL-PER.
When is my next holiday?

Jackbr

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 am

I thought the domestic 747s used gates 21/23 at MEL?

qf002

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Quoting tayser (Reply 38):

Date taken? The properties of the photo says Jan 31st 2012 but also says 11:37pm which is obviously wrong...

Quoting cam747 (Reply 53):
I find it a bit sad that QF has basically given up on ADL and would prefer to ferry us through SYD or MEL for international flights.

Agreed, though I'm not sure that there's any viable option outside of an Asian hub... Would be great to see daily flights from ADL to SIN/KUL once QF has figured out what they're doing!

Quoting cam747 (Reply 53):
I usually go with MH.

I suppose that's the plan then... If/when QF and MH jump into bed together, QF can withdraw from ADL altogether and pass their traffic across to MH.

On that thought, I've been thinking about the whole MH-D7 mixup and how that might work down the road if MH gets close to QF (and JQ respectively). Could we eventually see major cooperation between D7 and JQ?

sierrakilo44

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:14 pm

Rumours floating around about the QF 5/6 service to FRA being suspended, any truth to that? Have also heard that BER is a possible replacement, with the new airport opening in the middle of the year and AB joining oneworld. It would make more sense considering the current lack of connecting codeshares on LH out of FRA.

vhebb

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:05 am

I don't think we will see QF drop Germany, I do see them swapping FRA for BER similar to the upcoming EZE to SCL swap. Part of the international restructure was to operate to gateway ports where partner airlines can offer onward connections, BER would fit this type of plan better than FRA.

As for QF giving up on ADL that's not entirely true... B763s are now regularly scheduled on the SYD-ADL-SYD and MEL-ADL-MEL routes, plus the strong rumours QF are looking at ADL-HKG-ADL services.

AusA380

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:10 am

Quoting vhebb (Reply 59):
As for QF giving up on ADL that's not entirely true... B763s are now regularly scheduled on the SYD-ADL-SYD and MEL-ADL-MEL routes, plus the strong rumours QF are looking at ADL-HKG-ADL services.

I think the reference is to international flights from ADL which has never been a strong QF interest.

Domestically, yes ADL is improving.

ZuluAlpha

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:54 am

Quoting sierrakilo44 (Reply 58):
and AB joining oneworld
swapping FRA for BER

The official date for AB to join one world is 20March
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

cam747

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:48 am

Yes apologies, I should have specified that I was referring to QF direct international flights out of ADL. I am aware ADL is still an important focus for QF domestic. I won't get too excited about the HKG flights until it actually happens.

nascarnut

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:28 am

Appears Alliance Airlines may be moving up to 737 size aircraft.
Ex Jetconnect ZK-JTQ 737-400 is in the process of being repainted in Alliance colours in Airworks hanger at AKL airport.
It already has the Alliance name on the fuselage along with the blue tail.

jetfuel

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:12 am

Virgin Australia Boeing 777-300ER VH-VPD arrived in AKL today for mx
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

EK413

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:21 am

Was going to start a separate thread but thought I'll post in the Australian aviation discussion...

Emirates airlines could face fines of more than $1million for multiple breaches of the Sydney Airport curfew after it defied repeated warnings by ATC not to fly after 11pm...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Sydscott

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:45 am

I don't think we will see QF drop Germany, I do see them swapping FRA for BER similar to the upcoming EZE to SCL swap. Part of the international restructure was to operate to gateway ports where partner airlines can offer onward connections, BER would fit this type of plan better than FRA.

The biggest impediment to BER is a lack of premium traffic demand. FRA is the commercial and business hub where you get business travellers wanting to go to. BER, even though a Government Centre, simply can't compete and LH has stated as much. So even with AB joining OW I doubt QF would drop FRA for BER. All that would leave QF would be 2 daily LHR flights, how pathetic would that be?!

IndianicWorld

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:46 am

^^ Now that would be a very big penalty to pay. Is it really worth risking penalties like that by taking the actions they allegedly have? Damn.

Sounds like they really do not have enough room to move with the late flight. Might take some schedule re-adjustment.

One of the downsides of operating into a curfew imposed airport.

AA909

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 am

Quoting rushed (Reply 9):
With this increase in capacity are QF going to upgrade / expand the BNE downstairs terminal area (where the QantasLink flights seem to depart from on the left after security?). Each time I've passed through this area it always looks cramped and a little budget.. Never used this area but it always looks busy - anyone else think this?

Absolutely. It's serviceable but usually busy, and sometimes hard to find a seat. It's less DH8-100,-200 and -300s flying out of there these days, more and more -400s with higher passenger load. A doubling of the floor area would be about appropriate. I think a covered walkway so majority of pax could avoid the ~200-300m bus ride would be good too, but maybe overall tarmac space is an issue.

EK413

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 67):

The 2nd Sydney Airport question has been raised again personally i dont see it happening...

EK413

IndianicWorld

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:26 am

^^ I agree hence why I didn't even touch on that  

Issues like this will make airlines think twice about SYD flights in future though, given the lack of flexibility. It might have got away with it for years, but airlines are now looking at other Australian cities to handle their growth.

As for EK, it's amazing they allegedly risked fines like this.

Quokkas

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:48 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 70):
As for EK, it's amazing they allegedly risked fines like this

Who would make the decision to break the curfew - EK management or the OIC of the flight?

Might it come down to how desperately they need to relocate the aircraft? Maybe it is considered cheaper to risk the fine than pay for hotel accommodation to passengers, re-booking passengers on connecting flights, machine swap for the intended next flight of the aircraft, etc. But they wouldn't want to be doing that sort of thing too often.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

qf002

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:16 pm

I agree. It makes little sense for QF to continue to fly into FRA when they can carry 90% of the traffic through BER, and pick up significant additional traffic from AB.

Quoting sydscott (Reply 66):
The biggest impediment to BER is a lack of premium traffic demand. FRA is the commercial and business hub where you get business travellers wanting to go to.

According to many members of these forums (and others), the premium traffic to FRA is dismal as it is. QF has been using two class 744's (3 class with the addition of W) to FRA for many years, so I don't think that it's the major consideration. They might lose a few customers leaving FRA, but they will gain far more flying out of BER.

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 71):
Might it come down to how desperately they need to relocate the aircraft? Maybe it is considered cheaper to risk the fine than pay for hotel accommodation to passengers, re-booking passengers on connecting flights, machine swap for the intended next flight of the aircraft, etc. But they wouldn't want to be doing that sort of thing too often.

EK should really be planning their schedules a little differently if there are issues with curfew out of SYD. The plane has almost 5 hours on the ground in AKL, I'm sure EK could turn it around an hour or two quicker to allow for some more time in SYD to deal with issues, even if the flights aren't as optimal for picking up business traffic.

Quokkas

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 72):
I'm sure EK could turn it around an hour or two quicker to allow for some more time in SYD to deal with issues, even if the flights aren't as optimal for picking up business traffic.

I am not familiar with all the scheduled arrivals and departures at SYD, so how tight is the demand for gate space before the present scheduled arrival into SYD? Is there much latitude to allow an earlier EK arrival and/ or departure?
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

qf002

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 73):
how tight is the demand for gate space before the present scheduled arrival into SYD?

I don't think that there would be any issues (could be wrong, that's just my impression from looking at the list of arrivals/departures). It would be the only A380 at the terminal, and an arrival around 7pm should come just after the main evening peak...

Mikey86

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:53 pm

I was speaking to the EY reps not long ago and I asked them about BNE service increases and they said there was no planned services in the near future. Whats the source for these increases? This might have changed as I noticed that there are no flights from BNE-AUH on VA (as the rep said they wont be increasing as they will offer daily with VA). Any reason why VA arent flying on the route? I never saw any flights loaded into the GDS  
mikey86 - Greenslopes, Queensland

Sydscott

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:26 pm

I agree. It makes little sense for QF to continue to fly into FRA when they can carry 90% of the traffic through BER, and pick up significant additional traffic from AB.
According to many members of these forums (and others), the premium traffic to FRA is dismal as it is. QF has been using two class 744's (3 class with the addition of W) to FRA for many years, so I don't think that it's the major consideration. They might lose a few customers leaving FRA, but they will gain far more flying out of BER.

Have a read of this;

http://www.centreforaviation.com/ana...t-sucess-far-from-guaranteed-63407

To quote - "Air Berlin dominates short-haul traffic from the capital yet has high costs and low yields, indicating its transformation from LCC to hybrid carrier has not been followed by the market, whose premium passengers remain with Lufthansa, who has long been under-represented in Berlin, Germany’s largest city."

So FRA or BER QF will have the same problem. Can AB really take decent yielding traffic and give it to QF? The article also states that AB wants to expand its network from Berlin to include JFK, MIA, LAX, DXB and BKK. If that's the case then the better thing for QF to do is to feed traffic into AB at BKK and codeshare with them. That way Australian pax have a choice of flying to FRA via the QF hub at SIN or flying to BER via BKK.

eaglefarm4

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Borghetti when he took over Virgin decided not to pursue the BNE-AUH services at this time.A review was carried out and they decided not to fly this route.CEO Hogan of Etihad wants BNE to go daily as per recent articles(within the last year) but the timing is quite not right at the moment.

So it really does look like nothing will happen in at least the next 12 months.It appears as it is in the too hard basket.
tourismman

eaglefarm4

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Quoting nascarnut (Reply 63):

Yes seen in AKL hangar yesterday.Remember they are down 2 F100's for Virgin use so may make sense.
tourismman

EK413

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 73):
Quoting qf002 (Reply 74):

The main issue in EK's case is the fact several airlines including EK received notice to cancel their flights and accommodate their passengers in hotels during sydneys recent electrical storms which had the airport closed & ATC knew the airport wont reopen with ample time for departures to beat the curfew...

EK413

alangirvan

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:08 am

Quoting sydscott (Reply 76):
To quote - "Air Berlin dominates short-haul traffic from the capital yet has high costs and low yields, indicating its transformation from LCC to hybrid carrier has not been followed by the market, whose premium passengers remain with Lufthansa, who has long been under-represented in Berlin, Germany’s largest city."

So FRA or BER QF will have the same problem. Can AB really take decent yielding traffic and give it to QF? The article also states that AB wants to expand its network from Berlin to include JFK, MIA, LAX, DXB and BKK. If that's the case then the better thing for QF to do is to feed traffic into AB at BKK and codeshare with them. That way Australian pax have a choice of flying to FRA via the QF hub at SIN or flying to BER via BKK.

One thing that may be influencing Qantas on FRA is the new curfew at that airport. Qantas wants to do very late departures from that airport, which will now be affected by that curfew. How do they solve that problem? ( a problem for many airlines, including Lufthansa Cargo.) Ideas - they could operate FRA-SIN-MEL or FRA-SIN-PER, so they would not worry about arriving at SYD too early. If Berlin does not have the same curfew as FRA, that would be a good reason to move to BER, and the extensive Air Berlin network would be another. Or AirBerlin could start Berlin to Singapore (and Dusseldorf to SIN, and MUC to SIN, because those are also hubs for AirBerlin. AirBerlin's longhaul Inflight product may be more similar to Jetstar's inflight service, so perhaps the tie up would be Jetstar and AirBerlin.

Sydscott

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:17 am

Quoting alangirvan (Reply 80):
Ideas - they could operate FRA-SIN-MEL or FRA-SIN-PER, so they would not worry about arriving at SYD too early.

Or they could extend the transit time in Singapore for an hour or so? That would probably be the simplest way of dealing with it.

Zkpilot

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:31 am

Quoting alangirvan (Reply 80):
One thing that may be influencing Qantas on FRA is the new curfew at that airport. Qantas wants to do very late departures from that airport, which will now be affected by that curfew.

Simply bring forward the departure time from FRA forward to 2100. The plane sits on the ground there all day so should not suffer from any technical delays and if there are it gives them a couple of hours to resolve before hitting the curfew. Simply spend 30mins longer on the ground in SIN to allow connections with other flights and to avoid the curfew into SYD in the morning.
Currently QAL crew get long slip times in FRA, QF is known to want to reduce these. It probably wouldn't make any cost difference reducing from about 60 hours down to 57 hours however and 33 hours is too short.
Another option is to move to a 1230 departure. This still allows pax to connect from other parts of Europe (Get up 0600, airport 0730, depart 0930, arrive FRA 1100 etc). The flight would arrive into SIN about 0815 to connect with other flights.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

VH-BZF

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:00 am

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 64):

Don't hear the masses or the media complaining about VA sending their jets overseas for mx, yet when QF do it, it's the end of the world!

Just an observation!

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

alangirvan

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:29 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 82):
Another option is to move to a 1230 departure. This still allows pax to connect from other parts of Europe (Get up 0600, airport 0730, depart 0930, arrive FRA 1100 etc). The flight would arrive into SIN about 0815 to connect with other flights.

This suggestion might be TOO sensible for Qantas Management to consider. Qantas has been getting rid of the lunchtime or early afternoon departures from UK/Europe and some people have been complaining about that. Maybe Qantas Management know what they are doing, and there are not enough people who use those timings, but my example might be - FRA-SIN-SYD, to hub with LHR-SIN-PER-SYD. These could hub with flights from BOM/DEL at SIN, which would carry on to BNE and MEL as daylight flights from SIN. Daylight flights are operated from Asian ports to Australia, by several Asian carriers - why would they not work for Qantas?

thegeek

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:46 am

Quote:
QF has officially launched the trial of their new "Q Streaming" product onboard one of the 763's VH-OGH
Here is a demo:

Experienced this today.

This product is a good step forward, but it is somewhat undone for short sectors (like my SYD-BNE) by the inability to use the product when the seat belt light is on.

eta unknown

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:31 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 82):
Simply spend 30mins longer on the ground in SIN to allow connections with other flights and to avoid the curfew into SYD in the morning.

No way- SIN transit costs are VERY high- better to retime FRA times.

smi0006

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:59 am

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here EY will shortly commence flying AUH-SYD with a 77W for VA whilst they send on of their 77Ws in for maintenacne. All guest will be reaccomodated with some J-guests moving into F and some W guest moving into J.

747m8te

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 am

Quoting VH-BZF (Reply 83):
Don't hear the masses or the media complaining about VA sending their jets overseas for mx, yet when QF do it, it's the end of the world!

Just an observation!

Exactly right! glad someone else thinks that too, off shore work not supporting aussie jobs call the media quick....oh wait its not qantas.....funny how you never see virgins diverted flights/cancelled flights or major delays reported either....media bias big time....pure QF bashing.
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

Rotation

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:52 am

Don't hear the masses or the media complaining about VA

Doesn't this come up on the forum every time a DJ plane goes in for maintenance?
AN YC BA QF JQ DJ NZ AA B6 TT VA WN VX UA SQ EY

Auchmithie

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:15 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 87):
Not sure if it has been mentioned on here EY will shortly commence flying AUH-SYD with a 77W for VA whilst they send on of their 77Ws in for maintenacne. All guest will be reaccomodated with some J-guests moving into F and some W guest moving into J

EY's 77Ws do not have F.

Flyingsottsman

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:26 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 22):
It could have restarted BNE/PER/AKL if they wanted, but chose not to, and increased MEL. Take from that what you want really.

Which suprises me realy hey its great to have another international airline here in MELB but they axed SYD/BNE/PER/AKL and kept MELB usaly its the other way round axe MELB and keep SYD. If they increase services to Australia again in the future SYD will defentley be back on the map fro them.

smi0006

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:49 am

Quoting Auchmithie (Reply 90):
EY's 77Ws do not have F.

Apologise only repeating the official info I was given... bit awkward an error for an official source though lol!

This lease must be an expensive exercise (it's for about a month), will we see an further expansion of the VA/DJ wide-body fleet soon?

Meanwhile the Air Australia facebook site states they will be refitting their cabins on the A330s soon any ideas what this will entail?

IndianicWorld

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Flyingscotsman, BI dropped SYD long ago. It failed there and cut it, moving their focus to BNE and PER. MEL was only a recent flight addition.

I wouldn't expect SYD flights by BI.

Flyingsottsman

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 93):
I wouldn't expect SYD flights by BI.

I am suprised SYD didnt work, what was their problem with SYD?

ZuluAlpha

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 64):

Just an observation!

BZF

I wonder what the Senate committee, raised by Nick Xenophon, and more importantly the TWU who I think is the main union behind the VA employees (please correct me if I am wrong) feel about this as well, I wonder if they will be complaining about it
Flown on:_CRJ, CR7 D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

EK413

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 92):

Both carriers have a codesharing agreement on the route so I really can't see how this could be an expensive exercise?

EK413

ben175

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Hasn't been posted here yet - QR have reloaded PER as a 77L from day one, replacing the 332 that was originally supposed to commence the route. The departure time has also been pushed back to 2300.

Bluebird191

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:42 pm

Anna Bligh, the premier of Qld accounced within the last hour on Twitter that Scoot will start flights to the Gold Coast in June. I'm struggling to find any links on the internet to back this up at the moment, but surely we'll start seeing the news filter through soon. I didn't think OOL was capable of taking 777 sized aircraft, but I'm looking forward to taking the drive of just over an hour from home to see their 777's there when they fly in.

WLG787

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:33 am

Scoot to the Gold Coast 5 times per week

www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/02...07/388621_gold-coast-business.html

[Edited 2012-02-06 16:34:16]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos