milou
Topic Author

Cat In The Cockpit

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 pm

A cat on an Air Canada flight from Halifax to Toronto escaped from its carrier.

Fortunately, a Catastrophe was avoided and the cat was found within in the avionics wires in the cockpit.

A pawsitively purrfect ending  .

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...2012/01/25/ns-loose-cat-plane.html

Stitch

RE: Cat In The Cockpit

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Reminds me of that meme list of aircraft maintenance reports making the rounds where the solution to "mice in the cockpit" was "installed cat".  

aogdesk

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Which catwalk was the feline found on??

Coronado990

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Good ol' Ripples. He lived up to his name. Put a few ripples in AC's scheduling for the day that's for sure! Cat business at it's best.
We're up.

chuchoteur

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:03 pm

I think it was an SN Brussels BAe146 a few years back...

A little lady let her cat out of its carrier box in flight, and the poor thing ran straight up the aisle into the cockpit (as luck would have it, it was right when the flight attendant had the door open and was bringing them coffee or some such).

The cat ended up down by the captain's rudder pedals and scratched everyone within reach.
The crew had to declare an emergency and divert (captain unable to reach the flight controls).

*ooops

Italianflyer

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:10 pm

HAHA...thats funny!!

Early in my career we had a dwarf pot belly pig get loose on a TATL flight out of AMS. Spent 3 or 4 hours trying to chase it down on a packed DC10....good times.

ikramerica

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Quoting chuchoteur (Reply 4):
The cat ended up down by the captain's rudder pedals and scratched everyone within reach.
The crew had to declare an emergency and divert (captain unable to reach the flight controls).

My cat did that once in the car. Never let it out again. They think it's safe down there, but you will crush them if you hit the brake...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

CrimsonNL

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Very funny story indeed. PETCs (pet in cabin) are so common these days I don't even notice them until I see the remark on the purser information list.

I was reminded of it when I saw a lady walking through the metal detector with a cat in her arms the other day, never realized they don't go through the x-ray!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

[email protected]

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Stroking a pussy in-flight... redefining the mile-high club?  
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Viscount724

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:48 pm

This cat was much more relaxed in the cockpit. Not very safe without a seat belt however!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nheqDASt7bg

kaitak

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:14 pm

If they could find another two, blind landings would be a lot easier (Cat 3?)

zruda

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 7):

They usually dont, but I remember one lady sticking her dog, hidden in her soft kennel, into the x-ray machine and actually having it scanned..,. the security guys were partly amused and partly scared 
there is no coincidence

aogdesk

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 10):

Just wrong on several levels. 

aloges

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Oh. My. God.   
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

connies4ever

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:14 am

Seem to recall a Vietnamese pot bellied pig causing a major disturbance BOS-SEA a few years back. Can't remember the airline, but IIRC the owner was able to convince the gate agent that the beast was a service animal. So, on it goes and early into the flight it got loose and started running up and down the aisle of the 757, and butting people. Eventually, it defecated in the aisle which caused an immediate shutdown of inflight and pax confined to seats for balance of the flight. What a joy trip that must have been !
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

zippyjet

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:36 am

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 5):
HAHA...thats funny!!

Early in my career we had a dwarf pot belly pig get loose on a TATL flight out of AMS. Spent 3 or 4 hours trying to chase it down on a packed DC10....good times.
Quoting connies4ever (Reply 14):
Seem to recall a Vietnamese pot bellied pig causing a major disturbance BOS-SEA a few years back. Can't remember the airline, but IIRC the owner was able to convince the gate agent that the beast was a service animal

All we need is "Mr. Mayhem" from those Allstate commercials with the Henry Mancini 1950's Mr. Lucky music playing on the PA! And adds new meaning to that piggy who squealed we we we in flight.   

Regarding cats, my 2 Short Bus kitties enjoy making "biscuits" (kneading with their claws). If they were flying and got loose it would be the stuff of a bad B movie comedy. They both have a penchant for hurling and anyone that knows feline culture their hurl process is a Broadway production with distinct sound effects. Imagine that sound over the PA at 37,000 feet!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

sccutler

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 am

It was like a war scene whenever we would try to wrestle our cat (a normally placid fellow) into a cat carrier, so we could carry him in the plane on a trip. And yet (we observed), when we took lengthy car trips with the kittie, loose to wander the car, he was fine.

So, we cautiously tried letting him ride in the plane without the box. Result? Resounding calm - he curls up and sleeps, usually awakening about the time we flare to land at the destination.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

photoshooter

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:33 am

Hahaha!

This is indeed a funny story! Good thing nothing happend to Mittens.

Niek  
'A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.' - Winston Churchill

zkojq

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:42 am

One of the Tumblr pages I follow shared this image of a Cat lying on the glare-shield of an Embraer ERJ.
http://bit.ly/A7dLCF
The Cat seems to be pretty happy....views don't come much better. I assume that the ERJ is someone's private jet and that Cat belongs to the aircraft's owner.
First to fly the 787-9

Bellerophon

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:35 am

Much faster cat and a much faster aircraft!

http://www.clubconcorde.co.uk/images...a/concorde_masai-warrior-large.jpg

Best Regards

Bellerophon

ajhYXE

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 am

I'm glad the TSA wasn't involved in this. They probably would have considered this an "attempted hijacking" and would have detained the cat as a result.    
GO RIDERS!

ltbewr

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:29 pm

There seems to be a growing problem with other than service animals in flight. You are afraid to check them in as baggage as the cargo hold and to/from it is not healthy for animals, especially in very warm or cold environments. Some are so attached to their kitty or lap dog that they must have it with them at all times. Some forget that some pax may have severe allergies to animal fur that may make being around them, especially in a closed enviroment of an aircraft cabin, hazardous and offensive. Then you have them breakin' loose and causing havoc. I wonder how long it will be before they will be banned or airlines charge some outrageous 'fee' to bring on board your Whiskers.

BWI5OH

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm sure that this is not the only "cat" to sneak into a cockpit and end up between the Captains legs....
"It's all fun and games until the cops show up"

CrimsonNL

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 21):
I wonder how long it will be before they will be banned or airlines charge some outrageous 'fee' to bring on board your Whiskers.

A lot of airlines already charge you for PETC's, LH charges the following:

Domestic flights: 50 USD
Europe flights: 60 USD
Intercontinental: 100 USD

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

thomil13FRA

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Quoting ajhYXE (Reply 20):
They probably would have considered this an "attempted hijacking" and would have detained the cat as a result.

I'd really like to see them try.  That cat would probably achieve more in bringing down TSA than all negative media reports combined   
Though, to tell the truth, the crew that worked the security checkpoint at JFK Terminal 8 When I flew back to FRA were actually quite a good crew.

lvhgel

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Where is Samuel L Jackson when you need him?

wing

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Not always a CAT 3 capable airplane downgrades by mulfunctions,this time it seems to be upgraded to CAT 4  
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

transaeroyyz

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:49 pm

New movie coming "Cats on a plane" the return of wiskers..

zippyjet

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:06 am

Quoting transaeroyyz (Reply 27):
New movie coming "Cats on a plane" the return of wiskers..

Just found out from intel that this cinematic tour de farce is going to be called "Pussy Galore" Kitty Mile High Club
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

GBLKD

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Quoting Bellerophon (Reply 19):
Much faster cat and a much faster aircraft!

http://www.clubconcorde.co.uk/images...a/concorde_masai-warrior-large.jpg

Best Regards

Bellerophon

I guess CRM goes out of the window in that situation. That's one captain nobody will argue or disagree with!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos