AWACSooner

RE: WN: If You Don't Check Bags, Do You Avoid Them?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:59 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
they'll even rebook you on other carriers if necessary.

Does WN have an interline agreement now?

atrude777

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:26 am

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 50):

Does WN have an interline agreement now?

Nope, but if they have to they will book you on another carrier, it's rare but it happens. Other airlines will also book their passengers on SWA too if needed as well.

When I worked as CSA, we had customers from United and US Airways coming over to us, and the Station Manager from that airline would call us and say "hey we're booking some seats on you guys..." and WN would send paxs over too if needed.

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 49):

Yes, just idle chatter overheard at the neighbor's ticket counter.

Hmmh that'd be quite a shock.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

DesertAir

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:37 am

When I moved to Tucson, AZ in 2004 I became a loyal WN flyer. I often flew to SMF and they had the capacity to route me through SAN, LAX or LAS. They were a life-saver as I managed a number of family emergencies and had to change flights. I appreciated the no change fees and the ease of using my account on their web site. Since moving to Tijuana in 2009 I have made a monthly trip to SMF on family business. They have between 10 and 12 non stops a day. AA and UA are a change in LAX. I never check bags, even on international flights, so the bag fee is not a issue for me.
Twice in the last year my plane in SAN had to be taken out of service for mechanical reasons. The WN team had us another plane and on our way in less than 45 minutes.

cschleic

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:36 am

Weren't there discussions in other threads about an IT system limitation at WN that precluded charging for checked bags? Sounded unlikely, but there was a lot of discussion about it. I did some searching but didn't find anything....could have been in a thread started on a different topic.

Tomassjc

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:23 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 51):
When I worked as CSA, we had customers from United and US Airways coming over to us, and the Station Manager from that airline would call us and say "hey we're booking some seats on you guys..." and WN would send paxs over too if needed.

We have a Southwest Credit Card on file at our station just for that reason. WN will NOT honor other airline tickets, we have to buy seats on them when we need to protect our customers.

Tom SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

DocLightning

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:36 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 37):
It's simple on Southwest, wait for them to call your group for boarding, you line up in your reserved spot, then you get on board. I won't deny the no assigned seating, that's not for everyone.

One of the parts I hate about flying is boarding. You have to fight and wait for granny to wrestle her personal anvil into the overhead, blah blah blah. And then you get to your seat and sit there for another interminable 20 minutes while everyone else jostles and schleps and blocks the aisle. It takes FOREVER and I just want to get going to where I need to go.

On WN you board, find a seat, no jostling, no waiting for granny with the anvil. The entire plane can load in ten minutes or less and off you go. And with inflight WiFi and an iPad, I don't need no steeenkin IFE.

One other odd thing I've noticed (tell me if you agree). On WN, I often spend most of the flight sharing fun small talk with my neighbors. On any other airline, we sit in awkward silence right next to each-other. Anyone else notice this?

[Edited 2012-02-03 22:37:57]
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

atrude777

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:37 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 54):

We have a Southwest Credit Card on file at our station just for that reason. WN will NOT honor other airline tickets, we have to buy seats on them when we need to protect our customers.

Hahaha! No surprise there.

It was nice getting the last minute walk up fares but sucked when we had to send ours over there and pay for their walk up fares!

Quoting cschleic (Reply 53):
Weren't there discussions in other threads about an IT system limitation at WN that precluded charging for checked bags? Sounded unlikely, but there was a lot of discussion about it.

It's been said over and over, but they cannot come up with a reason why SWA can charge for the 3rd bag, but the same IT system is what's blocking WN from charging the 1st and 2nd bag--in other words, it's not true. SWA is at the moment simply making the choice not to charge for the 1st and 2nd bags, has nothing to do with the IT System or they wouldn't be charging for the 3rd bag either.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

sccutler

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:56 am

Amuses me when threads like this arise.

Southwest is a carrier built on the loyalty of business fliers, who exercise discretion to fly the best value carrier, which is by no means always the cheapest. In the modern age, Southwest's service is measurably superior, for most passengers, than other carriers.

They must be doing something right - consistently profitable, and they pay their people very well. I respect that.

Their bag policy is an important part of their overall strategy of respect for the customer, respect which is rewarded with success.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

HPRamper

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:12 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 55):
One of the parts I hate about flying is boarding. You have to fight and wait for granny to wrestle her personal anvil into the overhead, blah blah blah. And then you get to your seat and sit there for another interminable 20 minutes while everyone else jostles and schleps and blocks the aisle. It takes FOREVER and I just want to get going to where I need to go.

On WN you board, find a seat, no jostling, no waiting for granny with the anvil. The entire plane can load in ten minutes or less and off you go. And with inflight WiFi and an iPad, I don't need no steeenkin IFE.

One other odd thing I've noticed (tell me if you agree). On WN, I often spend most of the flight sharing fun small talk with my neighbors. On any other airline, we sit in awkward silence right next to each-other. Anyone else notice this?

Sounds like a bunch of generalization to me. I've had flights on DL, US and UA that boarded smoothly with no hassle, and flights on WN where granny did indeed bring the anvil, and pax did indeed crowd the aisle trying to go everywhere they didn't need to be. And I don't see any less (or more) small talk on legacies than I do on WN. The only real difference I see regularly is the chatter from WN gate agents as they try way too hard to amuse the passengers waiting to board.

WNCrew

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 58):
The only real difference I see regularly is the chatter from WN gate agents as they try way too hard to amuse the passengers waiting to board.

Speaking of a bunch of "generalization"........

In all my time at WN I've seen TWO, yes TWO Gate agents use humor, song etc to entertain the pax and MOST of them were appreciative for the positive attitude. Again that's TWO, out of my roughly 800+ flights I work per yr.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

kgaiflyer

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Quoting enilria (Thread starter):
So, do other people do that too? How much do you think that hurts them because carry-on only travelers tend to be business travelers which is exactly the passenger they want?

This business of buying two one-ways rather than a single round-trip to get a lower fare total is new to me. But I've found that in markets with sister airports and one-way car rentals, you don't necessarily have to arrive and depart the same airport.

For instance, the weekend of March 31st, I'm ticketed outbound IAD-MDW-SNA on WN at $180.60 plus taxes ("Wanna Get Away Fare") and I'm ticketed inbound BUR-SFO-IAD on UA at $170.60 plus taxes (L-class fare). I have different airports in the same metro, have different fare classes, and score some FF point value and/or some segment equivalent value on each trip.

On my job, I pay out-of-pocket, turn in my receipts, and then get reimbursed. There are hundreds like me sitting in the back of the plane, and we'll try just about anything (except fly NK   ) for the lowest fares.

odafz

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:21 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 60):
For instance, the weekend of March 31st, I'm ticketed outbound IAD-MDW-SNA on WN at $180.60 plus taxes ("Wanna Get Away Fare") and I'm ticketed inbound BUR-SFO-IAD on UA at $170.60 plus taxes (L-class fare).

What is of interest to me is by which amount at the end your credit card was charged...., Did it reflect the $10 differential in cost of ticket... otherwise your comparison is biased.

Geezer

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:22 am

Let's see, so far there have been 61 replies to the OP; I read only about half a dozen or so; I dare say, if anyone were to read all 61 replies, they would have such a head full of figures and strategies that they would most likely get a head ache!

So I won't bother you with my "strategy"; but consider this........

Southwest Airlines, just like ALL airlines, is a business; and also like all airlines, they have a very large fleet of very expensive airplanes, (that all cost lots and lots of $$$$ to buy, their employees, especially their flight crews, are among the best (if not THE best) paid in "the industry"; That's just one side of the coin; the other side is, they happen to be the ONLY airline I am aware of that have "made a profit" every year they have been in business. When they are seeking new employees, people regularly quit other jobs to get on with WN; Obviously, they haven't managed all of this by being "less than smart".

Many have mentioned how they select which carrier to fly; here's MY "strategy".(I know, I know, I promised) .........but anyway,....I tend to take a close look at the carrier's safety record; (you know, who is most likely to get me there in one piece, who "crashes" less often, that sort of thing; so far, when I fly, I either fly WN, or I hitch-hike ! (just kidding ! I quit that several years ago)
It seems that almost everyone is using their own personal situation as the sole basis as to judge who is good, and who is not so good. I have a nagging feeling that NO airline is ever going to be able to please EVERYONE, every time;

Look...........WN wants to make a profit; they very much NEED to make a profit; someone mentioned AA; on the one hand, they are going to buy a whole bunch of new planes..........on the other hand, their parent company is about to go "belly up"..........who would YOU rather work for ? Or fly with ? Lot more things to consider than just "who has the cheapest ticket to Podunk on a given day."

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

kgaiflyer

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Quoting ODAFZ (Reply 61):
Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 60):For instance, the weekend of March 31st, I'm ticketed outbound IAD-MDW-SNA on WN at $180.60 plus taxes ("Wanna Get Away Fare") and I'm ticketed inbound BUR-SFO-IAD on UA at $170.60 plus taxes (L-class fare).

What is of interest to me is by which amount at the end your credit card was charged...., Did it reflect the $10 differential in cost of ticket... otherwise your comparison is biased.

I'm puzzled.  

Where did I report I was making a comparison of airlines? I don't see that statement.

odafz

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:18 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 63):
I'm puzzled.

Me too. You never answered the question I asked.

and Yes you are implicitly comparing 2 airlines ? (and you have IAD as both origin and destination city)

last but not least what has 2 one-way tickets to do with the thread ......

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos