Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetBlueAUS
Topic Author

JetBlue Considers Adding Daytona Flights

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:10 pm

Quote:
JetBlue Airways is inching closer to coming to Daytona Beach International Airport.

Nothing has been finalized, but JetBlue and airport officials both reported productive discussions Thursday.

Dave Barger, president and CEO of the New York-based JetBlue, said the airline is always actively looking at where it can put more airplanes.

"We're always exploring and we're growing," Barger said.

Barger added there was "no resolution, but a good discussion
http://www.news-journalonline.com/bu...siders-adding-daytona-flights.html

Wonder if this actually come about.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

BOStonsox

RE: JetBlue Considers Adding Daytona Flights

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:51 pm

It would be nice if DAB saw flights to New York City again, this time to JFK. I imagine it sees a decent amount of traffic from Europe (LTU once served it). BOS/PVD/MHT-DAB sees only 27 pax/day on average annually, but I wonder how much of that is leaking to MCO (there is a bus from Daytona Beach to that airport). If it was the spring break destination it used to be, BOS would definitely make sense seasonally.
2013 World Series Champions!

STT757

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:54 pm

The last nonstop flights from JFK to DAB were Eastern on DC-9s in the early-mid '80s. CO also had their DAB and MLB flights from the mid'80s to at least 2000. IIRC you can see a CO MD-80 lifting off from DAB in background of the movie "Days of Thunder".
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

airportugal310

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:56 pm

I would take a BOS-DAB flight if given the option...could go visit my best friend way more often
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

doulasc

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:29 am

I remember DAB was only served by Eastern and National until deregulation. Did Air Florida and Pam Am ever serve DAB? It would be great if JetBlue would serve DAB and MLB. Those cities are underserved.

boeingkid

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:44 am

I would hope that JBLU serves DAB but could it be because DAB's fees are too high? Also I think that DAB is a great seasonal market but as far as it to sustain service I think that this would be a stretch. DAB is routinely higher in fares than other airport around it JAX,MCO and SFB.

apodino

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:11 am

Quoting boeingkid (Reply 5):
I would hope that JBLU serves DAB but could it be because DAB's fees are too high? Also I think that DAB is a great seasonal market but as far as it to sustain service I think that this would be a stretch. DAB is routinely higher in fares than other airport around it JAX,MCO and SFB.

I don't think the fees have anything to do with it, considering all the money the airport gets just from having ERAU on the field. The reason DAB fares are higher than other places is because the only two carriers are DL and US, and with no LCC presence, it is basically like any other small city.

As far as the B6 angle goes, I was talking to a B6 pilot last week. He told me they have very ambitious plans going forward. He said that they will be launching PVD service in the near future, and most likely ORH and MHT in order for Massport to give them all of Terminal C at BOS once the UA fiasco is figured out. He also told me that the airline plans to order the A350 in the future, and intends to serve GIG in time for the 2016 olympics. What he spouted out to me is a lot of big stuff going forward, and while it all sounds good, a lot of it, (Mainly ORH service?), is stuff I will believe when I see.

airportugal310

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:53 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 6):
and most likely ORH and MHT in order for Massport to give them all of Terminal C at BOS once the UA fiasco is figured out.

There is more to this than meets the eye, primarily speaking of ORH. An FBO chain was recently given rights to a new FBO at BED, but part of the deal was that they do something at ORH...and 'they' decided on a maintenance program (MRO?) that involved acquiring a hangar there.

MASSPORT requiring deals that somehow involve Worcester as part of it sounds like a new initiative to revive the airport...if only they could make getting there easier...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

PITrules

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:16 am

"Barger added there was "no resolution", but a good discussion"

When an airline needs a "resolution" for adding service to a new city, as opposed to the city simply being a desirable destination for a commercial operation, I would venture to say it is not an attractive addition.

I'd be surprised to see B6 serve DAB.
FLYi

bexf27

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:26 am

They have been talking about MHT for years now. I will believe it when I see them at our gates.
Planes I flew: 707, 727-100, 727-200, DC9, DC10, 747, L1011, 757, 767, A300, 777, PAN, F27, Shorts 330 and 360, 1900,

BOStonsox

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 am

As far as the B6 angle goes, I was talking to a B6 pilot last week. He told me they have very ambitious plans going forward. He said that they will be launching PVD service in the near future, and most likely ORH and MHT in order for Massport to give them all of Terminal C at BOS once the UA fiasco is figured out. He also told me that the airline plans to order the A350 in the future, and intends to serve GIG in time for the 2016 olympics. What he spouted out to me is a lot of big stuff going forward, and while it all sounds good, a lot of it, (Mainly ORH service?), is stuff I will believe when I see.

PVD will be exciting. I wonder if we'll see seasonal HYA as well since B6 has stated interest. MHT should be on the horizon as well. It's time for them to do in Boston similar to what they did in New York, Washington, Los Angeles, Miami, and San Francisco, and serve the secondary airports.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 7):
MASSPORT requiring deals that somehow involve Worcester as part of it sounds like a new initiative to revive the airport...if only they could make getting there easier...

It's 12 minutes from the junction of I-290 and Route 146, if only Cambridge and Main Streets weren't so crowded, then it's just up Goddard Memorial Drive through the industrial park, which sees little traffic.

ORH has about 3,890,000 people within an hour's drive of the airport, but only about 225,000 of them are not also within an hour's drive of BDL, PVD, BOS, or MHT. It probably can't grow to the size of one of those airports, but it can support a lot more service than it currently does, including B6.
2013 World Series Champions!

airportugal310

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:02 am

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 10):
It's 12 minutes from the junction of I-290 and Route 146, if only Cambridge and Main Streets weren't so crowded, then it's just up Goddard Memorial Drive through the industrial park, which sees little traffic.

What I refer to, and as I'm sure you know, is the amount of "downtown-ness" you need to get through to get there. Not ideal, but also as you say, not a massive deal breaker either.  

Edit: Just to mention, I grew up just off the 495/90 interchange. Now I live just outside of Boston...if I still lived out there, ORH or BOS would suit me well depending on fare.

[Edited 2012-02-04 19:03:54]

DeltaRules

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:15 pm

I'd love to see it. If B6 would start DAB AND come back to CMH, I'd most likely be a customer of theirs 3-5 times a year.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

CIDFlyer

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:43 pm

talking to a B6 pilot last week. He told me they have very ambitious plans going forward. He said that they will be launching PVD service in the near future, and most likely ORH and MHT in order for Massport to give them all of Terminal C at BOS once the UA fiasco is figured out. He also told me that the airline plans to order the A350 in the future, and intends to serve GIG in time for the 2016 olympics. What he spouted out to me is a lot of big stuff going forward,

when are they coming to the midwest??? We would LOVE to try them if given the chance!! Maybe a merger with F9 would solve that issue.

icebird757

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Thread starter):
As far as the B6 angle goes, I was talking to a B6 pilot last week. He told me they have very ambitious plans going forward. He said that they will be launching PVD service in the near future, and most likely ORH and MHT in order for Massport to give them all of Terminal C at BOS once the UA fiasco is figured out.

Considering that we are only suppose to announce 2 domestic cities this year and DFW has been annonced, I would take this with a grain of salt. I would figure ATL-BOS would be announced before either ORH and MHT would be considered.

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Thread starter):
He also told me that the airline plans to order the A350 in the future, and intends to serve GIG in time for the 2016 olympics.

Yeah another rumor spun off the A330 rumors that have been running around this place for 7+ years now. I will believe it when I see it and I don't see it happening before 2016, especially with the A321 coming online over the next couple of years and the A320 NEO's coming in 2018. I guess we will find out what it costs to train a dedicated group of crewmembers to handle a A330 since we are handling Hawaiian at JFK starting June 5th.
I kick chocks

airindia787

Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:40 am

Volusia County is always looking for new airlines, probably because half the gates sit completely unused. A few discussions I remember last year were AA from MIA and WN from "multiple destinations". Also, the Daytona News-Journal is very optimistic with these discussions, frequently taking 2 or 3 discussions as being a sign that an airline is definitely going to start services.

Regarding fares, they are not more expensive than flying from MCO. In fact, I have frequently flown for cheaper out of DAB than MCO, especially when you factor in the price of the shuttle or parking. Every time I have gone to visit family I have flown from DAB via ATL.

panam330

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:25 am

Quoting airindia787 (Reply 15):
Regarding fares, they are not more expensive than flying from MCO. In fact, I have frequently flown for cheaper out of DAB than MCO, especially when you factor in the price of the shuttle or parking. Every time I have gone to visit family I have flown from DAB via ATL.

Fares are a lot more sane now, but in years past (I attended ERAU from 06-09) it was often significantly more expensive to fly out of DAB versus driving to MCO, MLB, or even JAX (including gas/tolls/parking etc). I used to fly home once a month or so, and 10/12 times, it wasn't out of DAB.

boeingkid

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:03 am

Quoting panam330 (Reply 16):

I agree DAB is always more expensive than MCO or SFB and it is about competition and DAB does not have that

southwest737500

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:54 pm

I really hope this happens
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

BOS2LAF

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 11):
What I refer to, and as I'm sure you know, is the amount of "downtown-ness" you need to get through to get there. Not ideal, but also as you say, not a massive deal breaker either.  

Actually, I'd say it sounds like it is a deal-breaker. Someone asked Barger on Twitter when ORH service would come, and his reply was "Visiting soon; needs roadway work and navaids!"

My own guess is that he is dangling the carrot of B6 service to light the fire under their    to make the roadway and navaid happen.

Also, for what it's worth, rumblings I've heard from reliable sources say that B6 isn't really going to spread their wings in New England until growth at BOS levels off. That would seem to contradict PVD, as it sounds as though its a matter of when, not if. Barger said on Twitter he wouldn't be surprised if they were there by the end of the year. My guess is that MHT and ORH would be on hold til BOS reaches critical mass.

Quoting icebird757 (Reply 14):
Yeah another rumor spun off the A330 rumors that have been running around this place for 7+ years now. I will believe it when I see it and I don't see it happening before 2016, especially with the A321 coming online over the next couple of years and the A320 NEO's coming in 2018. I guess we will find out what it costs to train a dedicated group of crewmembers to handle a A330 since we are handling Hawaiian at JFK starting June 5th.

I agree... I don't trust pilots further than I could throw them. If B6 pilot rumors were true, B6 would be serving MSP, DTW, ATL, BZN, JAC, Canada, they'd have A330s for flights to the Dominican Republic, Brazil, and Hawaii, the E190s would be relocated to warmer climates for the winter, the A321s would be delivered with first class, they'd buy out VX and adopt their IFE fleetwide, and AA would've bought out B6.

And as far as the A350 rumor (which I actually hadn't heard yet), would Airbus even have slots available to have the aircraft delivered to B6 with enough time for them to lay the groundwork for bringing in a new type (they already had job openings posted related to integrating the A321, which is a fairly minor change compared to the A350, having never operated widebodies), conduct proving runs and get their ETOPS certification, and get rights to GIG all in time for the 2016 olympics?

jfklganyc

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Daytona is a possibility, but my guess is if they thought it could make $$ alongside the MCO operation, it would already be served.

What has changed?

Realistically, they have 8 new slots out of LGA and 8 new slots out of DCA. 16 flights each airport to fill, 32 total

There will likely be new cities associated with that. I doubt 72 million dollars went to add frequency to FLL.

They take 11 planes this year. Once you factor in LGA/DCA expansion, some SJU expansion, and BOS expansion, I would say that any additional expansion will be limited (Perhaps an intl market out of JFK)

The planes just aren't there for MORE expansion on top of what they already have.

This is especially true of places like PVD and ISP that would require multiple daily flights to 2 or 3 cities in Florida. Likely not happening this year