Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mikey711MN
Topic Author

Plane Crash In BOI; Micron CEO Dies

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Sad news from Boise...

A private plane carrying Micron CEO Steve Appleton has crashed.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...n-ceo-appleton-dies-in-plane-crash

RIP to the victims.
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Airport

RE: Plane Crash In BOI; Micron CEO Dies

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Truly heartbreaking news to hear, as a lifelong resident in Boise who can attest to the indelible impact he had on the community. In addition to bringing thousands of tech jobs to the treasure valley, he was also an avid aviator, and performed at airshows here in Idaho. He was very energetic and passionate. A very sad loss for us.

gregarious119

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:19 pm

With Audio from liveatc.net:

http://nycaviation.com/2012/02/audio...that-killed-micron-technology-ceo/

Prayers for his family and all those affected.

USAIRWAYS321

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:33 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 1):
Truly heartbreaking news to hear, as a lifelong resident in Boise who can attest to the indelible impact he had on the community. In addition to bringing thousands of tech jobs to the treasure valley, he was also an avid aviator, and performed at airshows here in Idaho. He was very energetic and passionate. A very sad loss for us.

I've only been in Boise for about 3 years, but I echo your thoughts. Terrible.

ridgid727

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Truly a loss for the entire state of Idaho, and in particular Boise. Steve was a great philonthropist, and had a passion for making the underpriviledged excel.

baldheadeddork

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:37 am

For what it's worth, this Lancair appears to have been a relatively new airplane for Appleton. A search for the tail number comes up with a for sale sheet on barnstormers.com and a Google+ picture gallery created by the seller last October. Does anyone know if he had Lancairs before this one?

Spec sheet from when the plane was on the market: http://www.barnstormers.com/classifi...ir_IV-PT_-_N321LC_Spec_Sheet_2.pdf

Condolences to his family.

awthompson

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Looking at those photos, that is certainly a 'dream' plane in every way, one that anybody who can fly would dream about owning. The leather interior especially is really wow! But more importantly, it is really sad that such a great person should be lost so suddenly. Unfortunately however death is not a respector of persons. We feel for his friends and family.

If he asked to 'come back in', does that sound like an engine failure or other major malfunction after take off. Wonder if this is another classic example of stalling when turning back after an engine failure which we are taught not to consider unless you have no other choice. I don't know the location, whether the area is built up, or whether the terrain is rough so cannot comment on whether he would have had that choice or not.

flylku

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Quoting awthompson (Reply 6):
Wonder if this is another classic example of stalling when turning back after an engine failure which we are taught not to consider unless you have no other choice.

Indeed. Continuing straight ahead (not second guessing this accident as there is not enough information) is much easier said than done. I wonder if I would have the discipline to do it. When I visit a new airport I am going to be flying out of for a while I try to make a mental note of straight ahead landing sites; golf course, farm field, even a water feature.
...are we there yet?

awthompson

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Quoting flylku (Reply 7):

Indeed. Continuing straight ahead (not second guessing this accident as there is not enough information) is much easier said than done. I wonder if I would have the discipline to do it. When I visit a new airport I am going to be flying out of for a while I try to make a mental note of straight ahead landing sites; golf course, farm field, even a water feature.

Yes, that is good practice. Also at airports with long runways (flying a light aircraft) I would always take the "full length" so that I get plenty of height up before crossing the perimeter fence 'just in case' the worst were to happen. In that case you may still have some runway if something happened in the first couple of hundred feet. I flew a TB10 Tobago for a few weeks out of Longbeach CA and always took full length on the diagonal runway (30) because the lack of emergency landing sites in the cllimbout area worried me. Well, if truth be told I did use 25L once or twice when controller didn't reallly give me much choice!

From what little I have read about the Lancair, it stalls at rather a high speed and is proned to this type of accident. Looking at the photos, the wing does look rather small - it seems to be built for speed and that means speed has to be kept well up to avoid stalling risk. Being so used to Cessna 172, Piper Warrior etc. I would find this tricky to get used to.

Have you looked at the photos in the link at reply 5. N321LC was a beautifully finished piece of kit.

flylku

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Quoting awthompson (Reply 8):
Also at airports with long runways (flying a light aircraft) I would always take the "full length" so that I get plenty of height up before crossing the perimeter fence 'just in case' the worst were to happen.

Reminds me that my primary instructor once on takeoff, at 50ft, pulled the throttle back and and said, "You just lots it." We need to keep in mind that the remaining runway might be the best choice. That was done on a 5000 foot runway. I've not had the courage, years later, to practice it again, but there is a 10,000 footer not far away that is barely used. This has inspired me to get over there and practice.
...are we there yet?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos