Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er
Topic Author

When Is United Overhauling P.s.?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:11 am

When is United going to recreate p.s.--because the current which were so beautiful the day they launched but now showing signs of wear? And I would presume it wouldn't take long--it's just 14 AC - right?

And what kind of E seats will be installed? And are they moving to 6" in E+?

I read the new p.s. will have a few rows of sardine class Y. I think that's a mistake.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

AA737-823

RE: When Is United Overhauling P.s.?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:33 am

Quoting VC10er (Thread starter):
14 AC - right?

I still don't understand why you need 14 airplanes to fly two routes... JFK-SFO/LAX.
FOURTEEN PLANES?!?!?!

CONTACREW

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:19 am

Quoting VC10er (Thread starter):

When is United going to recreate p.s.--because the current which were so beautiful the day they launched but now showing signs of wear? And I would presume it wouldn't take long--it's just 14 AC - right?

And what kind of E seats will be installed? And are they moving to 6" in E+?

I read the new p.s. will have a few rows of sardine class Y. I think that's a mistake.

Refits are supposed to start 4th quarter this year. Each aircraft will probably take 6 weeks or so give or take. New PS configuration will have 26 BusinessFirst flatbed seats, 70 E+ seats, and 44 Economy seats for a total of 140 seats. F class will be going away on PS. And no that is no mistake that the new ps configuration will have a few rows of standard Y class.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:29 pm

I bet we see the miles needed for this route increase to its own category. Maybe 30,000 or 35,000 miles for the business first flat seat cabin? I would be thrilled if they keep it 25,000 but i have a feeling thats not gonna happen they know they can get more miles out of this cabin easily and still be in extreme demand.

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 1):
I still don't understand why you need 14 airplanes to fly two routes... JFK-SFO/LAX.
FOURTEEN PLANES?!?!?!

Its not like either flight is a short amount of time to schedule and some are gonna have to overnight. Also this is not the easiest to flight to sub for because its such a unique configuration

jgw787

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:22 pm

FOURTEEN PLANES?!?!?!

There are a lot of daily flights between SFO/LAX to JFK

washingtonian

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:54 pm

JFK-SFO/LAX.
FOURTEEN PLANES?!?!?!

Fairly long flight, multiple frequencies, time zone differences, spares = 14 planes.

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Quoting CONTACREW (Reply 2):

Thanks! What is the difference between "economy seats" and "standard Y"?

I always thought they were the same?

Thanks

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:44 pm

"IF" p.s. Does get refitted and is a glorious transcon ride..interiors, seats, food, IFE then it should cost more than another 4-5 hour ride on a regular 757/737 etc. I recall when I walked on p.s. when it launched as I said above and it was a BIG WOW. They need to do that again. My first suggestion is the flight team needs to be the finest and who want to provide excellent service. I doubt they may be able to staff p.s. with their star FA's due to some sort of rule.

P.s should also have a special uniform. This boutique product should be a UNITED brand builder!

CONTACREW

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 6):
Quoting VC10er (Reply 6):
Thanks! What is the difference between "economy seats" and "standard Y"?

I always thought they were the same?

Thanks

I should mention standard economy seats, whats immediately behind Economy + seats. Also the PS aircraft will be receiving nose to tail AVOD, and wifi as well.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

washingtonian

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 7):
P.s should also have a special uniform. This boutique product should be a UNITED brand builder!

I have to agree with you here. United markets it as a "flagship" route. This is perhaps one of the only routes left in the United States with strong brand attraction potential. There is no reason why United doesn't treat it "more special". Considering it is primarily New York based F/As, why can't they have them wear a special hat or something? A little bit of inexpensive branding could go a far way with product loyalty on this special route.

LAXintl

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:49 pm

FOURTEEN PLANES?!?!?!

Its actually - 13.

But never the less you are speaking about markets where each leg is ~ 5 hours.

The core schedule depending on the day of the week requires minimum 10 or 11 planes to fly. One aircraft tends to be in heavy maintenance, leaving a single operational spare - which is often required when issues at JFK or SFO start causing ripple delays.

Really no different than AA having its subfleet of 15 767-200s to run the same markets.

Does get refitted and is a glorious transcon ride..interiors, seats, food, IFE then it should cost more than another 4-5 hour ride on a regular 757/737 etc.

Pricing is driven by the market - while yes UA has been able to capitalize and generate some good yield with p.s., there is virtually zero appetite for higher cost service. The best UA has been able to do it avoid selling as many discount or reduced fare seats on p.s. compared to its peers.

P.s should also have a special uniform.
My first suggestion is the flight team needs to be the finest and who want to provide excellent service. I doubt they may be able to staff p.s. with their star FA's due to some sort of rule.
Quoting washingtonian (Reply 9):
Considering it is primarily New York based F/As, why can't they have them wear a special hat or something? A little bit of inexpensive branding could go a far way with product loyalty on this special route.

Not any more other bases also fly it, and with the merger the NYC group of employees will be huge.

Such differentiation cost money, and adds complexity. Look at how everyone has virtually gotten rid of their special Hawaiian theme uniforms and service items.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

caleb1

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 10):
Not any more other bases also fly it

What other bases? I am also under the impression that only NYC based F/As fly PS routes. No LAX based crew and no SFO based crew, only JFK.

AAIL86

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:31 pm

FOURTEEN PLANES?!?!?!

Well come on now- AA currently has 15 762s to operate transcons themselves. Granted, they seem to get around a bit more then the UA p.s. planes... but still.

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 3):
Its not like either flight is a short amount of time to schedule and some are gonna have to overnight. Also this is not the easiest to flight to sub for because its such a unique configuration

Correct. Since these are unique routes in the domestic network, they need to have more slack available (meaning, spare aircraft) in case a couple get thrown out of service. I remember an occasion with AA when a lot of 762s were out of service- so they pressed a 772 into a transcon turn from JFK.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamim Franklin

LAXintl

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 am

Quoting caleb1 (Reply 11):
What other bases? I am also under the impression that only NYC based F/As fly PS routes. No LAX based crew and no SFO based crew, only JFK.

Looking at bid packets, I can see LAX, SFO have several, and even IAD and DEN have a p.s. trip or two during the month.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos