Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

steeler83

RE: PeoplExpress Airlines Coming Back!

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:00 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 136):
I'm glad EWR isn't a "big-city hub". LOL

Haha. I think what they meant was that they're going to focus on building their bases at smaller airports; by smaller I mean smaller than places like JFK, ATL, BOS, etc that have at least one airline hub/focus city there. I still think they'll serve some of the larger airports, but I don't think you'll see hubs or focus cities at places such as those.

That being said, yes, MCO is a rather large market, but WN bought FL out. I guess that will likely leave room for an airline to come in and pick up some of the slack.

Maybe PIT and MCO will be their hubs while PHF and PVD will be focus cities. I guess they could market PVD as greater Boston or at least southern Boston. Didn't WN do that a while back?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

GentFromAlaska

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

apodino

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:36 pm

You guys are going to love this one. Apparently they haven't announced a CEO because of a No Compete clause. But It is rumored that he has existing airline experience. This article explains that the rumor mill has it that the First CEO is going to be Phil Trennary.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

I don't give this airline very long if this rumor is true after what he did at Pinnacle.

Aloha717200

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:05 pm

I wish them success! I was blown away when I saw they're using the 80s logo. Not so fond of the color scheme but oh well. As for them not making it 6 months...well, it sounds like they're going to be serving second-tier airports...and if that's worked for Allegiant and...back in the day, Southwest, why can't it work here?

Let's give them a chance to actually start service before casting judgement. I for one plan to fly them just to have a chance to fly on the PeopleExpress brand...something I missed out on when I was a kid.

Still waiting for that restart of Eastern Airlines we've heard about off and on over the years. I'd fly that too.

[Edited 2012-02-28 10:23:19]

AirframeAS

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 147):
Are they hard to get? Do you have anything to back that up? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just asking for some substantiation of your claim.

Think of this: How many US airlines have 734's? And how many are parked at the moment?? Answer: Not much.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Atlwest1

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 153):
Still waiting for that restart of Eastern Airlines we've heard about off and on over the years. I'd fly that too.

LOL there was one it was just called Airtran/Valujet lol   No i wish this airline lots of success. Are the odds high yes but who's to say that they cant push through and make it. On the issue of the 400's sure it is an older plane but it is still a viable plane with decent costs and low acquisition overhead rather smart on their part.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co. or Airt

N62NA

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 154):
Think of this: How many US airlines have 734's? And how many are parked at the moment?? Answer: Not much.

But that still doesn't provide any actual numbers.

sunking737

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Quoting sunking737 (Reply 148):
http://www.speednews.com has 56 Boeing 737-400 available for lease or purchase.

With 56 available, How many do they need ??
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

N747PE

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:15 am

Hope they don't try to grab too many at once. That was their downfall last time.

steeler83

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Quoting N747PE (Reply 158):
Hope they don't try to grab too many at once. That was their downfall last time.

I don't want to see that happen, either. Growing too much and too fast is not always worth the rist. I know an airline has to spend money in order to make money (doing research to figure out which routes will work), and then all the airport fees and the like associated with that service to go along with the other expenses like cost of fuel and labor -- all of that can add up too quickly, which I guess was the case some 20 years ago.

I don't think WN or B6 even grew certain markets all that rapidly. I think they even looked at maybe 2 or 3 markets a year. I guess when they were first starting up they were announcing 4 or 5 tops each year. Being that their main bases will be PHF and PIT (I'm not sure if MCO will be included or not), but they better pick and choose their markets wisely in that regard...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

AirframeAS

Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 156):
But that still doesn't provide any actual numbers.

Because I don't have any. How many 734's did Boeing actually built? How many are still in service today? Work with that. I ain't doing your homework for you. But, Sunking737 seems to have done it for you....

Quoting sunking737 (Reply 157):
With 56 available....

I wonder what the condition of these airframes are and when their last D check was done to what level.

N62NA

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:05 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 160):
How many 734's did Boeing actually built? How many are still in service today? Work with that. I ain't doing your homework for you.

No need to get all snippy.  

beertrucker

Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:01 am

For those asking why MCO and not SFB. If you fly into MCO to go to Disney there is free bus service from the airport to Disney(Disney's Magical Express) That is a very big reason for a lot of people. Sanford you have to rent a car and have almost an Hour drive if not longer depending on the time of day unless you use 417 and pay all the tolls on it.

There is also a lot of gates in terminal 4 they can use as well. That is if they are going to have their own ground handling.I hope they make it. It will be nice to see a new face in the skies over my house.
Fly HI

bhmdiversion

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Has anyone heard the rumor that Phil Trenary (from Pinnacle) is going to be the CEO? I could have sworn that I read that somewhere in regards to PeopleExpress.

apodino

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Quoting bhmdiversion (Reply 163):
Has anyone heard the rumor that Phil Trenary (from Pinnacle) is going to be the CEO? I could have sworn that I read that somewhere in regards to PeopleExpress.

I posted that in an earlier post in this thread and I am surprised no one reacted. After the mess he left Pinnacle in...I don't see this new airline lasting long.

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 161):
No need to get all snippy.  

Likewise, but you were asking... no... demanding me for answers to your questions, in which I don't appreciate.

Quoting beertrucker (Reply 162):
If you fly into MCO to go to Disney there is free bus service from the airport to Disney(Disney's Magical Express) That is a very big reason for a lot of people.

Makes me wonder why this type of service isn't even offered at SNA. It is $27 round trip from SNA to Disney on the Greyline Disneyland Express.

Quoting apodino (Reply 164):
After the mess he left Pinnacle in...I don't see this new airline lasting long.

We will have to wait and see. A.netters are saying the same thing about David Seigel at Frontier.

stlgph

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:07 pm

Can't wait to see their financial capital. Looking at their executives' bio page, that's probably a good $4-$5 million overhead right there. That could eve be on the low end.

[Edited 2012-03-02 05:08:53]
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

flyer62

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:13 am

Come on folks Give them a chance,everytime a new start-up airline is mentioned everyone jumps in i will give them a month, 6 months etc! you all forget that even the major airlines were once start-up airlines, look at jetblue and Virgin America,they are doing fine,as was stated this Peoplexpress is nothing like the first one,on it is great name,no buying tickets on board like before,the new Peoplexpress will be a full service low fare airline! cant wit to fly them we need them and other start-ups cause the majors are merging and chocie is getting less,and fares higher,as long as they dont make the mistake skybus did and Vision, they will be fine and i will fly them

ghifty

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting flyer62 (Reply 167):
Virgin America

Virgin Atlantic.. Virgin Group.. Richard Branson.

jetBlue.. David Neeleman.. Morris Air (success).. eventually Azul (another success).

And then PeopleExpress, an already once-failed airline that's following Skybus' model. You can't really expect A.net to be optimistic, can you?
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

steeler83

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:13 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 168):
PeopleExpress, an already once-failed airline that's following Skybus' model.

Are they? Granted they want to build a hub out of PHF (not exactly a huge market to hub out of), but they want to serve markets like MCO, PVD, EWR and PIT, with PIT being another large focus market. Skybus IIRC was flying to middle-of-nowhere airports/markets from an already limited market (CMH) and marketing them as larger cities (i.e. flying to one market in Washington and marketing it as Seattle/Vancouver). Plus, they were cramming 165 people into A319s (an aircraft that typically seats 130 people in a one-class setting IIRC) and selling the seats for as low as 10 or 12 bucks!

I forget what some of the other markets Skybus flew to out of CMH. I just remember them flying to that one in particular. With primary markets like PIT, MCO, PVD, and EWR, I doubt they're following the Skybus model entirely...

F9Animal

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:25 am

Oh come on guys! Give them a chance! I hope tney succeed so I can laugh out loud to tje nay sayers!
I Am A Different Animal!!

lat41

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:56 am

There are enough failure modes from the not too distant past to look at. Introductory giveaway fares in these days of higher and higher jet fuel prices will sink a company fast that depends on gimmick pricing very long.

CIDFlyer

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:16 pm

initially I was very skeptical of a start up to hub in PHF. But at least the PeoplExpress brand name is a familiar one so they do have that going for it. Also, maybe if they decide to hub in markets where airlines used to have larger hubs (i.e. PIT, or maybe CVG, STL etc), airports that have numerous empty gates ready for the taking then maybe....just maybe... they would have a better chance than the likes of Skybus. Skybus flew to podunk airports from Columbus OH and didnt offer connections, that was doomed to fail. Ive said before if an airline can fly from smaller/mid sized cities to larger markets it can work. It did work for AirTran for a long time, until Southwest axed the smaller cities since they dont fit their model. I think Frontier is starting to see this, and Im guessing Spirit will start to see it before too long. So PeopleExpress might have some competition in those respects.

steeler83

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 172):
initially I was very skeptical of a start up to hub in PHF. But at least the PeoplExpress brand name is a familiar one so they do have that going for it. Also, maybe if they decide to hub in markets where airlines used to have larger hubs (i.e. PIT, or maybe CVG, STL etc), airports that have numerous empty gates ready for the taking then maybe....just maybe... they would have a better chance than the likes of Skybus. Skybus flew to podunk airports from Columbus OH and didnt offer connections, that was doomed to fail. Ive said before if an airline can fly from smaller/mid sized cities to larger markets it can work. It did work for AirTran for a long time, until Southwest axed the smaller cities since they dont fit their model. I think Frontier is starting to see this, and Im guessing Spirit will start to see it before too long. So PeopleExpress might have some competition in those respects.

Thank you! I forgot about Skybus not offering connections. That is rather dumb to have your primary operation not even offer connecting flights.

I am getting a little more hopeful about this airline succeeding, and I am somewhat changing my tone about LCCs coming in and slicing yields. If they can come into underserved markets and run a profitable operation with lower fares due to their lower cost structure, then I'm all for them. Anything that can generate O&D. Eventually, IMO, they should consider possibly adding a business class. I know FL had a business class. Did they always have that?

Polot

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 172):
But at least the PeoplExpress brand name is a familiar one so they do have that going for it

Is it? PeoplExpress hasn't been used in 25 years. I'm sure there are a ton of people who have never heard of them or don't remember them, especially anyone less than 30 years old.

N62NA

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:11 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 168):
And then PeopleExpress, an already once-failed airline that's following Skybus' model. You can't really expect A.net to be optimistic, can you?

With that attitude, there would never be progress. Perhaps we need a new site called antiairliners.net

apodino

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Quoting flyer62 (Reply 167):
Come on folks Give them a chance,everytime a new start-up airline is mentioned everyone jumps in i will give them a month, 6 months etc! you all forget that even the major airlines were once start-up airlines

Here is the thing. I want them to succeed and I think they have a product that people will like. The only reason I am skeptical about them is Phil Trennary. Phil Trennary was the CEO of an established Regional Carrier that has been in the business for some time, and if you have been paying close attention he left that company a year ago, and right now because of bad decisions that were made on his watch, Pinnacle Airlines is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. We don't even know if he is CEO yet, but the evidence is pretty strong that he is the guy, and if he is, we won't know about it for another month due to a no compete clause that is still in effect.

I want this company to succeed, and I pray that Phil Trennary can make it work if he is the guy. However, my concern is that Phil Trennary may be the US version of Michel LeBlanc, and not Richard Branson.

F9Animal

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 am

I think it has great potential, and I am standing on the sidelines cheering them on. I am a airline geek, and I like an industry that offers variety. Meaning, I like choices in who I fly on. I love Virgin America, and I think they were bashed about survival since startup. Love JetBlue, and I remember the bashing they got when starting. And dare I bring up Frontier. Frontier has taken some awful a.net haters. US Airways was written off during bankruptcy here. United got shafted pretty good here, and was bashed frequently on failure. I can just keep going.

The truth is, a.netter armchair CEOs love to have their crystal balls. However, most of the armchair CEOs on this site could never run a successful operation themselves. It feels kinda good to call it out on the floor. There are so much negativity and doom and gloom on this site anymore. When I see something like this airline coming, I get a thrill.
I Am A Different Animal!!

PI767

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:11 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 169):
I forget what some of the other markets Skybus flew to out of CMH.

Skybus flew to, in my opinion, absolute bizarre off-the-wall destinations from Columbus and tried to market them as major destinations.

Some of the nonstop routes out of Columbus included, if I recall correctly, Bellingham, Chicopee, Gary, Portsmouth, Punta Gorda, Saint Augustine, and Wilmington, etc etc.....

They flew expensive new aircraft on long-haul routes from Columbus to Bellingham, Oakland, Burbank.... tying up the aircraft for most of the day.....
"Piedmont. The Model of What a Good Airline Should Be."

steeler83

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 am

Quoting PI767 (Reply 178):
Some of the nonstop routes out of Columbus included, if I recall correctly, Bellingham, Chicopee, Gary, Portsmouth, Punta Gorda, Saint Augustine, and Wilmington, etc etc.....

Some of those I've heard of. Gary, IN of course was supposed to be Chicago. Was that Wilmington, Delaware? Punta Gorda, what the hell was that supposed to be?

F9animal, apodino, I think I'm about to join yinz guys on the sidelines.  

CIDFlyer

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:06 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 179):

Some of those I've heard of. Gary, IN of course was supposed to be Chicago. Was that Wilmington, Delaware? Punta Gorda, what the hell was that supposed to be?

F9animal, apodino, I think I'm about to join yinz guys on the sidelines.

Punta Gorda was supposed to be Ft Myers, FL. I believe Allegiant flies there, but gauging by the number of cities they fly to from there (4) I dont know how successful I would call that. But maybe they choose not to make it a big station so as to not cannibalize their flights to PIE (St Petersburg/Tampa).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos