EA CO AS
Topic Author

US Ramper Killed At PHX T-4 Today

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:41 am

Phoenix station 12News is reporting that a ramper with US Airways was killed this afternoon in a conveyor machinery mishap at Sky Harbor International Airport.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

wn676

RE: US Ramper Killed At PHX T-4 Today

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:43 am

Apparently it was a belt maintenance employee...

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news...led-at-sky-harbor-airport-02172012

[Edited 2012-02-17 17:46:24]
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

rotating14

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:46 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...t/2012/02/17/gIQAxb5hKR_story.html

PHOENIX — Authorities say a US Airways employee has been killed after being caught in a luggage conveyor.

Phoenix police say 60-year-old Robert Demarco apparently became lodged between the upper and lower conveyor belts around noon Friday at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport’s Terminal.

Phoenix Fire Department personnel were called to the TSA checked baggage inspection area and the man was pronounced dead.

Authorities say there are no indications of foul play, but Phoenix police will investigate the death and Demarco’s body was taken to the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office.

US Airways officials didn’t immediately return calls Friday afternoon for comment on the fatal incident and any information on Demarco’s tenure with the carrier and his hometown.

Sad, my prayers are with his family.

Womack17

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:52 am

RIP and Godspeed to Mr. Demarco and his family.
Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

stasisLAX

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:56 am

More information on the ramper's death is here. Apparently there was nothing emergency medical personnel could do and he was pronounced dead at the TSA baggage office in Terminal 4. Very sad.

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...oyee-dies-mechanical-accident.html
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

dlramp4life

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:12 am

Very sad indeed.

But this is my concern with this, Airline employees at PHX have nothing to do with the belt system. ELS comes out to fix problems that may arise in the belt system. Why is an airline employee on these belts, espically near a TSA screening point? I guess we will never know but RIP Mr. Demarco, I am sure US lost one of the best.

Goldenshield

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:04 am

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 5):
But this is my concern with this, Airline employees at PHX have nothing to do with the belt system. ELS comes out to fix problems that may arise in the belt system. Why is an airline employee on these belts, espically near a TSA screening point? I guess we will never know but RIP Mr. Demarco, I am sure US lost one of the best.

Actually, AFIAK, US is in charge of maintenance of this particular system since they (HP) built it when T-4 opened. I know a guy who does/did just this very thing.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

peachair

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:13 pm

It will be interesting to see the investigation and whether or not lock out/tag out procedures were followed..

wn676

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 6):
Actually, AFIAK, US is in charge of maintenance of this particular system since they (HP) built it when T-4 opened. I know a guy who does/did just this very thing.

Correct, US maintains their own system in T4. The person involved in this unfortunate accident was a US belt maintenance employee, not from the ramp or ELS.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

dlramp4life

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 6):

Aww ok, I work in T3 and see ELS all the time going between T3 and T2. Thank you for the correction.

jeffry747

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Quoting peachair (Reply 7):
lock out/tag out procedures

This was my first thought as well. I wanna see what the investigation finds out as well before I comment on procedures though.
C'mon Big B, FLY!

m404

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:19 am

Am curious about your procedures. When I worked our MEM bag room we agents were called all day long to lock one down and go crawling for bag jams. Oh and many times someone not associated with the belt, like Lost and Found and pull the key back out. They were never there when we would eventually crawl our own mangled rears (literaly) back down. In the case of jams wouldn't your own people go down, out, and through?
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

DocLightning

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:34 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 4):
More information on the ramper's death is here. Apparently there was nothing emergency medical personnel could do and he was pronounced dead at the TSA baggage office in Terminal 4. Very sad.

It depends on the specific county/city, but in most cases, EMT's can only pronounce in extreme situations, like injury incompatible with life (bisection, decapitation, etc.), or obvious signs of decomposition. So it must have been pretty bad.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

aztrainer

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 am

After hearing this on the news, I would not want to of seen the scene. As DocLightinging stated the EMT's/Paramedics can only call it if there is no possibility to life being restored.

RIP

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos