Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MHTripple7
Topic Author

Southwest Airlines - Paper Ticket?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:42 pm

I flew with my swim team to a meet recently, and I was surprised that we were given paper tickets on WN.

Anyone know why groups require paper tickets? Never thought I'd see one of these again.

DLX737200

RE: Southwest Airlines - Paper Ticket?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi there.

This is not a ticket. Just a receipt. You're thinking of a flight coupon, which are hard to find these days except in rare irop conditions.

FURUREFA

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:53 pm

That's not a paper ticket, just a passenger receipt.

MHTripple7
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 1):
Hi there.

This is not a ticket. Just a receipt. You're thinking of a flight coupon, which are hard to find these days except in rare irop conditions.

I had a ticket, but when I checked in it was stapled to the back of my boarding pass. And since Southwest takes your boarding pass upon boarding, I don't have it anymore. But I promise it was a paper ticket!

FWAERJ

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Until recently, Southwest Vacations used paper tickets for travel as well. Only last year did WN go to e-tickets for vacation packages.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

grain

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 pm

We just had a hockey team fly from RSW to PHL. They all had a paper ticket stapled to their boarding pass.

[Edited 2012-02-19 13:14:41]

atrude777

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Southwest GROUP Travel, still uses Paper Tickets as mentioned above.

Ticket's will be ripped off at Check In and attached to the Boarding Pass as he mentioned and the Operation Agent will collect the ticket, and give it to the CSA for them to report at the end of the Shift.

Southwest VACATION Travels had been using Paper Tickets and as mentioned by FWA, just switched to e-tickets as well.

As far as I am aware, Southwest GROUP travel is the last remaining traveling group/class to be using Paper Tickets still.

I believe the new Reservation System with FL is going to switch to e-tickets for Group Travel, but I am not 100% sure yet on that, which doesn't answer your question as to the WHY, I think it's just the way the system is set up for Southwest, that's how it was done when I worked in STL.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

QANTAS747-438

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Quoting DLX737200 (Reply 1):
This is not a ticket. Just a receipt
Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 2):
That's not a paper ticket, just a passenger receipt

It IS part of a paper ticket. Yes, it's the receipt, but it's the last page of 4 coupons for Group Travel (1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4, and 4 of 4).
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

mhkansan

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Over at AA and Eagle we still see paper tickets from time to time. Of course all ZED fares are paper tickets now and then some older folks still don't like the idea of an electronic ticket. We still have all the infrastructure in place for paper tickets and on average we'll get about one or two a week at my small Eagle outstation, including ZEDs. Revenue paper tickets are pretty common at the hubs I guess, but regardless when I went through training I had to learn all about them.

FURUREFA

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 8):
Of course all ZED fares are paper tickets now

Some airlines, like DL, LH, AF, B6, have eZED agreements, which are very convenient; one can buy the zed ticket online, and the purchase automatically lists one on the airline.

m11stephen

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:40 am

Paper tickets are so rare these days that agents will always scribble a note on the front of a pax's boarding pass like, "TAKE PAPER TICKET!" so the CSA boarding the flight doesn't fail to notice it and forget to take it. I had a nonrev hand me a paper ticket the other day and I actually said, "What is this?" Paper tickets are SO rare. I think I've had three in my year as a CSA.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

kevin752

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:18 am

I get paper tickets for Southwest. When I use a station agreement with them at my airport we are issued Southwest paper ticket on their stock. BTW I like their stock its pretty cool.
"Keep Climbing"

gizmonc

Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:20 am

WN is still using paper tickets for group bookings. I had one today and yes we were told at one point in the future the paper tickets would disappear. I for one can not wait for that to happen. Once you scan the boarding pass the checkin screen requires you to confirm that the passenger has a paper ticket and you have collected it. I can usually scan and board 137 in less than 10-12 min but with those paper tickets it takes longer. I will research and see what the exact date these are suppose to end. I would say that some groups may have planned ahead and that is why they are getting paper tickets but again it is something that is due to STOP SOON.

September11

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:59 am

I miss the old days of paper tickets...
Airliners.net of the Future

chuchoteur

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 am

a year and something ago, I was flying back from DFW to Europe the day before Thanksgiving.

My flight to Minneapolis was delayed with the risk of missing all my subsequent connections. The guys in the Delta executive lounge were amazing, they found me a flight out to Memphis with a connection to AMS that then got me back on my original AMS flight to where I was going!

The computers weren't allowing the booking to be changed, so the senior service agent took out a box with everything in it to edit manual flight coupons (including a pretty amazing embossing machine!).

Worked great, all the way through to AMS the service agents at the gates were amazed that those still existed!

lhr380

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 am

Quoting chuchoteur (Reply 14):

Sounds like you got a FIM (flight interrupt manifest) I have to do one now and then when a ticket wont do what i want it to do. I only rarely now see paper tickets. Saw one the other week and it confused me for a little as to why the number would not go into the flight until I saw the word coupon and looked a little closer at it. God knows why the outstation issued it, but hey ho lol
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

YYZYYT

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Up yo a few years ago, family vacations that involved international flights needed paper ticket for children travelling as a lap infant. We were told that this was a matter of IATA rules (On AA, US and AC).

Is this still the case (my youngest is well past 2 yrs now...)?

ikramerica

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Quoting MHTripple7 (Thread starter):
I flew with my swim team to a meet recently, and I was surprised that we were given paper tickets on WN.

What are your event specialties? Back in my teen days I was faster than any woman in the world in the 100y BR. But as a male type person, that didn't mean too much...  
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

reifel

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:50 pm

You will get paper tickets in some rome places. On a domestic flight in Estonia with Avies I got a handwritten one. On a domestic flight within Belarus I got a paper ticket (needle printed one), in cyrillic  
In indonesia 2 years ago airlines issued etickets, but if booked thourgh an Agent you'd usually get a red paper ticket (i.e. Sriwijaya, Lion Air).
Sometimes you would also get a FIM (flight interruption manifest) if the original airline can't reissue the tickets i.e.
I got a AF FIM for a LH flight CDG-PAR. Also I got a Czech Airlines GROUP FIM (didn't even know these existed) with space for up to 30 or so passengers for use on LY from TLV to FRA as their flight was oberbooked.
Like these, makes nice souvenirs  

In Germany you often get paper tickets if you book a tour operator package. However these are no real paper tickets. They're rather vouchers to be used for charter flights. Nevertheless they're collected by the charter carrier.

mhkansan

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:15 pm

A few years ago I missed a connection to MHK in DFW. The agent who rebooked us managed to get us on ZK from MCI the next morning, and issued us paper tickets for that flight since AA and ZK don't have an eticket agreement. At least with legacy airlines, they can issue a boarding pass that simply says "flight coupon required." You give both boarding pass and ticket to the agent when you board and all is good.

frontierflyer

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:42 am

Non rev Buddy Pass is also coupons.

chuchoteur

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 15):
Sounds like you got a FIM (flight interrupt manifest) I have to do one now and then when a ticket wont do what i want it to do. I only rarely now see paper tickets.

Probably was a FIM. All the service agents I encountered on that trip had never seen one before and had to call an older agent/supervisor to get the low-down on what to do with them!

Was funny, I asked the guy who edited the FIM if my suitcase would also make it and he laughed and said sure it would, as apparently each station on the way would have to re-tag the bag, so they'd be looking out for it!.

Not sure if that was the case but my bag made it!

Quoting reifel (Reply 18):
Like these, makes nice souvenirs

...definitely!