Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doulasc
Topic Author

The Last Midway Airlines With RDU Hub.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:53 pm

The last Midway Airlines started operations in 1994 with Chicago Midway being their hub.Not long after that they decide to abandoned Chicago Midway and go to Raleigh/Durham North Carolina and focus along the east coast of the USA. After 9-11-2001 they folded.

lat41

RE: The Last Midway Airlines With RDU Hub.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Flew F-100s PVD RDU CUN in the 90s through an uncluttered hub in both directions. i beleive they had 3 banks in each direction per day.

727LOVER

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:18 pm

You have made a statement of fact, is there a question??  
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

wedgetail737

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm

I flew Midway a couple of times between MCO-RDU-DCA. They were a very nice airline with comfortable seats and mints.

doulasc
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 2):

OK,what was the reasoning from their decision not to focus on MDW and go to RDU?

STT757

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Quoting doulasc (Reply 4):
OK,what was the reasoning from their decision not to focus on MDW and go to RDU?

I think it had to do with their partnership with AA. AA was in the process of drawing down their RDU hub and Midway picked up their slack and most importantly probably some of their leases. AA in turn started to codeshare on their flights from RDU. Also AA probably benefited from moving Midway out of the Chicago market.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

deltairlines

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:47 pm

Just taking a look at the Midway hub at RDU, in August 2001, they had 146 weekday flights (110 on Sat, 130 on Sun).

Weekday (Mo-Fr) service consisted of:
ATL - 6x CRJ
BDL - 6x CRJ
BHM - 3x CRJ
BOS - 5x 73G, 1x F100
BUF - 3x CRJ
CAE - 4x J-31
CHS - 4x J-31
CMH - 4x CRJ
DAY - 3x CRJ
DCA - 5x CRJ
DEN - 2x 73G
EWN - 5x J-31
EWR - 1x F-100, 5x CRJ
FLL - 5x 73G
GSP - 4x J-31
IAD - 4x CRJ
ILM - 5x J-31
IND - 4x CRJ
JAX - 5x CRJ
LAX - 1x 73G
LGA - 6x F-100
MCO - 6x 73G
MIA - 5x CRJ
MSY - 2x 73G
MYR - 4x J-31
ORF - 5x J-31
PBI - 2x 73G
PHL - 2x 73G, 1x F-100, 3x CRJ
PIT - 3x CRJ
PVD - 3x CRJ
ROC - 3x CRJ
SDF - 3x CRJ
SJC - 2x 73G
SWF - 3x CRJ
TPA - 5x 73G, 1x CRJ

SurfandSnow

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 6):
Just taking a look at the Midway hub at RDU, in August 2001,

Yikes! 4 different fleet types for a small airline  Wow!, with heavy reliance on high cost, gas guzzling 50 seat RJs. No wonder they failed   
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

N1120A

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 7):
with heavy reliance on high cost, gas guzzling 50 seat RJs. No wonder they failed

Back then, gas was cheap and the airlines didn't pay nearly as much attention to the false economy that is 50 seat RJ flying. Indeed, Midway tried to survive as a regional for US, but it was way too late.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

EricR

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Quoting doulasc (Reply 4):

I thought WN's stiff competition at MDW made Midway's MDW hub no longer viable, so they moved to RDU which AA had abandoned several years earlier.

ckfred

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 5):
I think it had to do with their partnership with AA. AA was in the process of drawing down their RDU hub and Midway picked up their slack and most importantly probably some of their leases. AA in turn started to codeshare on their flights from RDU. Also AA probably benefited from moving Midway out of the Chicago market.

AA basically did what it did with QQ at SJC, have an LCC take over a smaller hub, codeshare, and allow F/F members to accumulate miles.

Unlike QQ, which took over the SJC hub while keeping the RNO hub, Midway basically closed the MDW base and moved to RDU.

srbmod

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:28 pm

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):
After 9-11-2001 they folded.

Right before 9/11, they had filed for CH 11 due to the tech slump (one of their major routes was RDU-SJC) and WN entering the RDU market. They did return to service on Dec. 19, 2001 as the result of the monies the Air Transportation Stabilization Board gave the airline, but ceased operations again on July 17, 2002 . They returned to the air as a US Airways Express carrier in February 2003 and ceased operations for the final time on October 30, 2003 when they changed their CH 11 filing to a CH 7 filing, liquidating the airline. Mesa ended up with their operating certificate, but to the best of my knowledge, have never used it.

Mexicana757

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:21 am

Quoting EricR (Reply 9):
I thought WN's stiff competition at MDW made Midway's MDW hub no longer viable, so they moved to RDU which AA had abandoned several years earlier.

Southwest presence in the early to mid 1990s wasn't as big as they are today. They did have the most gates at MDW around 8 to 10 on concourse A. I believe one of the routes Midway flew out of MDW was to New York City, a place WN at that time probably didn't have their eyes set on. Also MDW in the early to mid 1990s had more competition than it does today. These other airlines had a presence at MDW around that time: American West, ATA, Chicago Express, Continental, Kiwi, Markair, Northwest, USair, TWA, Valujet...

b727fa

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:31 am

Don't forget Vanguard at MDW as well.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

tommy767

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:40 am

I flew EWR-RDU-MCO and return in April 2001. EWR-RDU was a CRJ and RDU-MCO was a 73G. Midway was a nice little airline. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrible either. All flights were on-time.

Kind of a no frills airline but they had free mints, hot towels, leather seats, and IIRC a snack pack on RDU-MCO. But perhaps my memory is failing me at the moment. No overhead monitors on the 73Gs.

The used the old AA hub concourse. I recall connecting and it made me a bit nostalgic of connecting on AA's old hub. As a family we flew LGA-RDU-PBI in November 1993.

It seemed like they were doing OK pre-9/11. They had just started flying RDU-SJC and DEN when I flew them.

When we connected back to EWR from MCO I recall the daily AA Heathrow flight boarding in RDU. It was a 762 at the time. When we got back to EWR they were boarding the daily AA to LHR which was then on a 763. All ground handling and ops in EWR was handled by American in A-3.

Fuel prices weren't a problem back in 2001.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

PI767

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:49 am

A few notes on Midway (IATA code "JI.")

Quoting EricR (Reply 9):

As Mexicana757 said, Southwest's presence at Midway Airport at the time Midway started operations was nothing compared to what it is today.

When Midway started flying, Southwest's routes out of Midway Airport consisted of nonstops to Baltimore, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Louisville, Indianapolis, Nashville, Saint Louis and Kansas City.

Midway started with routes that not only did not compete with Southwest, but also with routes to cities that were not even served by Southwest back then.

Midway's initial routes out of Midway Airport were to LaGuardia, Philadelphia and Denver. Then expanding to Washington National and Dallas/Fort Worth... all non-Southwest cities at the time.

Yikes! 4 different fleet types for a small airline Wow!, with heavy reliance on high cost, gas guzzling 50 seat RJs. No wonder they failed

Really only three types of aircraft: The CRJ, the F100 and the 737-700. The J31s listed in the daily departures were not operated by Midway, but by Corporate Airlines.

As for the Midway fleet: Midway wanted to get rid of the Fokker 100s and build its fleet into an all 737-700 and CRJ fleet. However, Midway found it hard to dispose of the Fokker 100s after Fokker went out of business. They had plans to dispose of four of the F100s in 2001 and the remaining four within the following three years. (Of course, they never had a chance to do that.)

As for the CRJs, at the time, they were actually considered an aircraft that was very well-suited for segments up to two hours. Again, fuel prices were much lower then.

The plans that had been in place were to have a fleet at the end of 2000 consisting of eight F100s, 23 CRJs and six 737-700s.

By the end of 2001, they had envisioned a fleet of four F100s, 26 CRJs and 17 737-700s.

By the end of 2002, the fleet was to consist of 26 CRJs and 22 737-700s.

Of course, history shows that that fleet plan never had a chance to materialize.

Midway also operated, briefly, a small number of Airbus A320s.

Some random routes maps for Midway:

From March 1995:

http://www.departedflights.com/JI030295.html

From April 1996:

http://www.departedflights.com/JI041596.html

From October 1998:

http://www.departedflights.com/JI100198.html

From May 2001:

http://www.departedflights.com/JI050101.html
"Piedmont. The Model of What a Good Airline Should Be."

Mexicana757

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:54 am

Quoting b727fa (Reply 13):
Don't forget Vanguard at MDW as well.

Also forgot these other airlines; Air South, Frontier, Western Pacific. And the short lived Myrtle Beach Jet Express.

PI767

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:47 am

Okay... here is some more information on why Midway abandoned its Midway Airport hub. (This information is taken from the awesome book "Deregulation Knockouts: Round Two.")

"The airline initially leased a fleet of eight Fokker 100s. Flights began on November 15, 1993, with service between Chicago Midway and New York LaGuardia, while Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Philadelphia and Washington National were added by the following summer.

The limited number of gates at Midway and the presence of Southwest Airlines, as well as other carriers, quickly gave Midway financial problems, forcing delays in expansion and aircraft deliveries. In 1994 the airline received a $25 million cash infusion from the Zell/Chilmark Fund in exchange for 90% equity in the airline. Management was replaced - former American VP Jerry Jacob became Midway's chairman, while ex-Wings West Airlines chief John Selvaggio became president.

In 1995, American announced plans to abandon its hub at Raleigh/Durham. Midway decided to move the bulk of its operations to Raleigh, leased 12 gates from American, and also agreed to participate in American's frequent flyer program. The first Raleigh services began on March 2, 1995. By summer, Midway served over 15 airports from the RDU hub. All Chicago services ended, except for a new Chicago-Raleigh route, which continued until August 1."

Now... just for added information...looking back at an OAG from Midway's (JI's) early days in May 1994 (just a few months after operations started)... Midway Airport (or as a friend of mine refers to it as "Low-Fare O'Hare) had the following service:

To Midway Airport effective May 1994:

America West: Columbus, Las Vegas

American Trans Air: Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Las Vegas, Miami, Orlando, Phoenix, Saint Petersburg, Sarasota

Chicago Express: Appleton, Cedar Rapids, Evansville, Grand Rapids, Green Bay, Lansing, Toledo, Traverse City

Comair: Cincinnati

Continental: Cleveland, Dayton, Greensboro, Greenville/Spartanburg

Empire Airlines (Operated by Capitol Air): Milwaukee, Saint Paul Downtown Airport

Kiwi International: Atlanta, Newark, Orlando, Tampa

Markair: Denver, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Newark

Midway Airlines: Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, New York LaGuardia, Philadelphia, Washington National

Midway Connection (No affiliation with Midway Airlines): Flint, Fort Wayne, Pellston, Peoria, Springfield (IL)

Northwest: Detroit Metro, Minneapolis/Saint Paul

Private Jet: Atlanta, Miami

Southwest: Baltimore, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit Metro, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Louisville, Nashville, Saint Louis

USAir: Columbus, Pittsburgh

Trans World: Atlanta, Saint Louis

Trans World Express: Saint Louis

Amazing how much service Midway Airport had at the time! WOW!

Mexicana757

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:05 am

Quoting PI767 (Reply 17):
Amazing how much service Midway Airport had at the time! WOW!

Those were the days.    And all of that operated from the old 28 gate terminal. Today we don't even have that much variety of airlines at MDW. Of that list most of those airlines went bankrupt, merged or were bought out. Only three on there still are around; Comair, Southwest, and USair(US Airways).

Quoting PI767 (Reply 17):

Midway Connection (No affiliation with Midway Airlines): Flint, Fort Wayne, Pellston, Peoria, Springfield (IL)

I take it they flew small props to these destinations.

PI767

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:12 am

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 18):
I take it they flew small props to these destinations.

Yeah... they flew Metroliners. No affiliation with the original or second version of Midway. I have been unable to find any information about them.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chad Thomas - Jetwash Images
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary C. Orlando

usxguy

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 am

Interestingly enough, Corporate Airlines made money while flying as "Midway Connection" out of the RDU hub... they also had a significant amount of O/D traffic and online connection traffic.
xx

DCA-ROCguy

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Srbmod--thank you very much for the timetable of information in reply 11. I had never read an exact timetable of what finally happened with Midway. I knew they had shut down, but didn't know when.

Midway served ROC for its last couple of years, with three daily CRJ's to RDU. The tech economies of the two cities, before the tech bubble burst before 9/11, was probably what drove the service. AA had also served ROC-RDU with anywhere from two to three daily MD-80's.

I remember well the story in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle in August 2001 announcing that Midway was suddenly and unexpectedly ending service at ROC. IIRC, the service ending was abrupt, without much notice. I took that fact--correctly, it turned out--to be a sign that the airline itself was in trouble.

Midway wasn't, if I remember right, an LCC. Even with the AA FF connection, its legacy-type service apparently couldn't compete with the larger hub operations of Delta at ATL, US Airways at CLT, and United at IAD.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

bjorn14

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Who flew the J31s for JI?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

HermansCVR580

Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Were any of the J31's painted in Midway's colors? I remember Corporate Airlines out of RDU they picked up a few of the old American Eagle birds.
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

UAL Bagsmasher

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:03 pm

FWIW, ZW now operates a handful of the former Midway CRJ--200's.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos