Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

beechnut

RE: AC108 Choose To Go Around

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:20 pm

I've been in many go-arounds, mostly for weather, sometimes for traffic, once for an F-16 behind us that went bingo on fuel (that was in Korea) in everything from my own Beechcraft through Dash 8s, DC-9s and up to 767s.

Nothing unusual at all.

Beech

harleydriver

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:04 am

I am a loadmaster in the USAF and on training flights with no passengers I ride up front. I've been on several go arounds and they are all perfectly safe. A majority have been for weather but occasionally they are for reasons mentioned like a previous aircraft not clearing. It seems to happen more where an aircraft tries to slow down to make a high speed turnoff and doesn't make it so because they have slowed down to make the first turn it takes longer to get to the next turnoff. A few weeks ago we followed a Kalitta B747 and when it turned off the active runway it stopped due to traffic on another taxiway. When tower asked if they were clear so we could land they came back with "no idea, we can't see our tail". That cracked us up. They were clear and we landed behind them.

I've been on a couple of commercial go arounds. One was on Southwest going into Midway and the aircraft before us hadn't cleared. Some of the passengers did look anxious when power was applied and the nose was raised but not in any sort of panic and the pilots came on a minute or two later to explain what happened. I mentioned to my seatmates that there was probably another aircraft that hadn't cleared. Another was a Northwest DC-9 in MSP and the weather was at mins. The pilots advised us on the approach that the weather was iffy so we had advance warning. It was legal to shoot the approach, they just didn't see the lights. We went and held for about an hour and when we got into the terminal the arrival/departure board was a mess of delayed and canceled flights.
Department of Redundancy Department

kl692
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 am

Quoting lnglive1011yyz (Reply 35):
May I ask how often you spot at Pearson ?

About 3 days a week since I live about 5 mins or less from the airport.

Quoting MikeCT (Reply 45):
If you love flying, you should try to learn a little bit about what scares you (which is I'm sure what's happening here). Knowledge goes a long way toward overcoming fears. Knowing what that weird noise is, or the what's involved during a go around will calm your fears and let you enjoying the experience more

Thanks for the advice and this has been educational and think some people forgot that what I was asking was "when is it really ok to go around" But it feels like the whole question got taken the wrong way but never less I have learn a lot from this in regards to Go Arounds.
A310, A330,A346,B73H, B747,B772,B77W,CRJ

lnglive1011yyz

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:02 am

Quoting pilotpip (Reply 47):
Third, YYZ is a confusing airport if you're not used to it. It's a very large, very busy place with lots of complex intersections and poor (non-standard) signs. Add to that the large number of international carriers flying there that don't have english as a first language and you really have to be on your toes. I have been there at least a hundred times in 4 years and it still confuses me sometimes.

Really eh? That's an interesting point, as I've never heard the "non-standard signs" thing before after 14 years of spotting! You learn something new every day!

I BELIEVE I may have witnessed your Go-Around, as I recall that being a very prominent memory.

Often at YYZ, foreign (including US) carriers use Quebec taxiway on 23, which they should not transition onto, unless they request use first, and hold at the hold-line (which is further back from where you'd expect it to be).. I have NO idea how many times I've seen an American Eagle take Quebec only to get their heads chewed off.. Happens almost every time I'm at YYZ.

Quoting kl692 (Reply 52):
About 3 days a week since I live about 5 mins or less from the airport.

Then I ask, how many Go-Around's have you witnessed? They are fairly common (if not daily) occurences.

I don't think anyone was coming down hard on you, just.. we at A.net tend to like to straighten out someone's thinking if it's incorrect or misleading, that's all.

Happy Spotting!

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos