Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Fyano773
Topic Author

Mexicana Relaunch Plans Rise Again

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:08 pm

A business plan from Med-Atlática was chosen by a judge-appointed mediator this evening as the best option to relaunch Mexicana.

Felipe Consuelo Soto told the media that Med-Atlántica, which is 80 percent controlled by Mexican investors, has shown it has enough funds and is now the best option for rescuing the carrier.

“The group brings together the elements to be awarded Mexicana. It’s shown me that it has the money and the willingness to restructure Mexicana,” the judge said.

http://www.cnnexpansion.com/negocios...icana-quiere-volar-en-semana-santa

The pick was backed by Mexico's communications and labour secretaries in a joint statement released on Friday.

More info to come...

[Edited 2012-02-24 15:18:07]

totesen

RE: Mexicana Relaunch Plans Rise Again

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 pm

I bet this really affects AeroMexico, Interjet VivaAerobus and Volaris growt plans, we have a way more competitive and efficient aviation, than what we had when Mexicana left, Volaris and Viva have great prices out of MEX, so does interjet... i hope that whatever is better for the passengers works out... as a costumer im really not looking foward at seeing a monopoly on routes like MEX-LAX or MEX-MIA that with MXA and AMX are twice the price as with VOI and AIJ.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

santi319

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:59 pm

This is another joke just like other 938372829 times....

mtyfreak

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:33 am

I'm still very skeptical about this...

I got to see it to believe it.
Only here for the beer...

kiwiandrew

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:37 am

Quoting mtyfreak (Reply 3):
m still very skeptical about this...

I got to see it to believe it.

Agreed. I would have thought it would be far easier to start a new airline from scratch than to try to resurrect one which hasn't operated a flight in 18 months. What advantages would a resurrection have over a new start? Am I missing something?

AR385

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:56 am

Reading the article, I see two issues here and one big train wreck coming.

1) The main investor (and mangement) I assume, is Spanish

We´ve seen how that goes re: IB in the 90s, Air Madrid, the assorted Marsans airlines and lately, Spanair.

2) The focus and expertise of the group seems to be on package charters.

They mention it has a very close relationship with Air Transat. So, I don´t think the idea they have for their relaunched MX is anything like the airline it was before.

Sounds like a bad idea from day 1...

ckfred

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:12 am

What's interesting is that Mexicana is shown on the Oneworld website as a suspended member. On the other hand, as soon as Malev ceased operations, information about the carrier was removed from the website.

That tells me that Oneworld believes that there is some chance that Mexicana can be revived, while there was no chance whatsoever of Malev being rescued, either by the government or an outside investor.

AR385

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:18 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 6):
That tells me that Oneworld believes that there is some chance that Mexicana can be revived, while there was no chance whatsoever of Malev being rescued, either by the government or an outside investor.

It´s got nothing to do with that. Mexicana still exists as a legal entity in every sense, except in reality, ironically, according to the equivalent of our Chapter 11 law.

Thus, OneWorld, legally, can´t say they don´t so they can´t take them off their website. That is the issue.

I don´t know Hungarian Bankruptcy law, but I bet it has more to do with that, than OneWorld being faithful on the outcome of one failed airline over the other.

ORDJOE

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:39 am

I will believe it when I see it, I think if it comes back it would be some sort of LCC, not the full service carrier it was. I miss seeing all those birds at ORD and took them for a few mileage runs a few years back, it was a nice airline that will be missed.

Fly2HMO

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:47 am

In the unlikely even they do get resurrected, they got so much catching up to do, they've lost pretty much all their fleet, MEX is now overrun by Interjet and Volaris metal, not to mention they're taking over MX's former markets.

As much as it saddens me that MX never saw its centennial birthday, I knew its fate was sealed a long time ago. They ain't coming back, not unless somebody with ridiculous amounts of money (Mr Slim, anybody?) or probably very stupid (Trump  ), invests on them.

ghost77

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:31 am

I will believe it once DGAC force MX to fly and do approval certification flights needed to go back.

I really hope MEXICANA returns!!!

g77

AR385

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:38 am

Quoting ghost77 (Reply 10):

g77

I know you do. And I know how much you are emotionally invested on that. But do you think an Air TransaMexicana will work?

Think LATUR, OASIS CANCUN

You know what I´m talking about.

RWA380

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:07 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 4):
Agreed. I would have thought it would be far easier to start a new airline from scratch than to try to resurrect one which hasn't operated a flight in 18 months. What advantages would a resurrection have over a new start? Am I missing something?

Brand Recognition seems the only reason I could see to resurrect MX. It won't be the same thing as the original, (they never are) so even the brand recognition will only buy them so much good will with travellers. With that, it seems a pretty bad idea.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

G500

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:23 am

According to the WSJ, Mexicana will come back in April.

I hope so, that's 80 years of history there. I hope someone with deep pocktes gives Mexicana a second chance

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Eduardo Perusquia

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 12):
Brand Recognition seems the only reason I could see to resurrect MX

that's exactly what it is. Mexicans grew up seeing that brand everywhere, on buildings, on street signs, on T.V, everywhere.

Aeolus

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Quoting ghost77 (Reply 10):

I will believe it once DGAC force MX to fly and do approval certification flights needed to go back.

I think this has gone on for way too long now...

Whatever happened to Aviacsa? Are they still flying? They did some certification flights a year or so ago IIRC...

-Aeolus
Flying under the clouds above!

comair25

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Also
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mex...s-to-fly-again-in-april-2012-02-25

In english. Also where is MX's fleet currently stored?

[Edited 2012-02-25 08:13:34]

Fyano773
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Quoting comair25 (Reply 15):
Also where is MX's fleet currently stored?
MX fleet has been disbanded. Most of the planes are flying with other companies.

The remnants are parked or stored in grave yards and secondary airports, withdrawn from use; some others will see their last days as cans:

320 - N280RX Scrapped at GYR
320 - N291MX Stored at MZJ
320 - N292MX WFU Idem
320 - N332MX OK
320 - N347TM OK
320 - XA-UCZ Being prepared for a new operator
320 - N368MX Being prepared for a new operator
320 - N369MX Scrapped at VCV
320 - XA-TXT Being prepared for a new operator. In bad shape
320 - N467RX Scrapped at GYR

Source: flyapm.com/foro

[Edited 2012-02-25 09:39:39]

EddieDude

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 9):
(Mr Slim, anybody?)

He has said once and again he is not interested in Mexicana. His private equity business SINCA Inbursa already made an investment in Volaris and cashed out some time ago by selling its stake to a bunch of local investors and a Kriete family member. It would be really idiotic for someone like him to make a bid for MX. In fact, it is idiotic for anyone to try to buy and relaunch MX, period.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

ghost77

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 17):
In fact, it is idiotic for anyone to try to buy and relaunch MX, period.

It is, seeing MX needs a 300M cash investment whereas with the size of AM last year they posted a profit for 268M before taxes.

But Mexicana's brand is well recognized. MX MRO has been making cash througout these 18 months. They have a contract for the next 8 years with LAN, TAME, TAMPA and DHL to park their planes as well other airlines from South America.

Mexicana will be a very small come back for the start, only 10 planes are available and seeing the list posted by fyano773 that adds up 3-6 birds only and very OLD ONES... but SpanAir is gone with 19 nice new A320s as well many other good A320s are there idle, so they will slowly increase the fleet.

They're looking to have 32 birds by December and 44 by June of 2013 and after that, it will be a very slow rate of growth but sure thats a reasonable fleet and Mexico's market still needs exactly that, around 30 more birds.

MX has the routes, it has the brand and with sure there will be new contracts and LOWER COSTS in order to compete with Y4 and 40 as well VB.

I need tickets for LAX on April and PVR in July, sure I would go again with MX.

g77

pecevanne

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:33 pm

I agree Ghost. Mexicana will be competitive in fare and in service by the end of 2012. I need tkts to CUN AND I will buy them with MEXICANA. Period

G500

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Aeromexico finally made money in 2011, now they get these news "MX coming back".... hum

LipeGIG

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:02 am

Sorry to say that guys, but ...

Could it be easy for any group to put MX back on track, but something more hard is to get people to buy in advance again in order to support the growth the airline may need.

Better to begin a new airline.
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

lightsaber

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 am

Serious question, what is the style of relaunch? Is this effectively a new airline? I couldn't see anyone wanting to pick up all the debt and other burdens of MX. Is there some other asset they hold that I'm not aware of?

Since the fleet is... gone. It would be interesting to see which aircraft type they used to launch the airline.

Quoting Santi319 (Reply 2):
This is another joke just like other 938372829 times....

I do have that opinion. However, like PanAm, the name is worth something. If a new company were launched that licensed the name... That would be worth it. Anything else doesn't make sense to me.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

AirframeAS

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 am

Quoting Fyano773 (Reply 16):
MX fleet has been disbanded. Most of the planes are flying with other companies.

F9 has 3 of their aircraft now. They are registered as N951FR, N952FR and N953FR.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

mke717spotter

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 am

I wish they'd do something like this with AQ instead.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

kapnoc4389

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 am

Can someone explain to me why so many people think it is not a good idea for someone to invest in MX? Given that I am not an expert in relaunching bankrupt airlines, it seems like a very good investment to me, not one that will return a huge profit right away, but everything is already set up for the airline to start again, the only thing that MX has lost so far is its fleet, but it still has most of its assets; well trained personnel, slots at some of the busiest airports in North America, one of the best maintenance bases in Latin America, etc. and I can't believe it would be too hard to find aircraft to be incorporated into the fleet gradually

AirframeAS

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 am

Quoting kapnoc4389 (Reply 25):
Can someone explain to me why so many people think it is not a good idea for someone to invest in MX?

IMO, too much time has passed since their last flight since they shut down. The more time that passes by without a revenue flight, the harder it is to keep the airline running. No flights = no revenue. It has been almost a year since Mexicana has NOT been flying. Not worth the investment, IMO.

Given that I am not an expert in relaunching bankrupt airlines

Neither am I. Neither any of us here at A.net.

it seems like a very good investment to me

It has not been flying for almost a year now. How is it a good investment now? How have they been making money with all that loss of flying? Remember, you gotta have planes up in the air to make money.

but everything is already set up for the airline to start again

I think once Mexicana went out of business and/or ceased flying after a certain period of time, they are required to return their operating certificate. Obtaining a new one costs money.....lots of it. Getting a operating certificate and doing the proving runs ain't cheap.

the only thing that MX has lost so far is its fleet, but it still has most of its assets; well trained personnel, slots at some of the busiest airports in North America, one of the best maintenance bases in Latin America, etc. and I can't believe it would be too hard to find aircraft to be incorporated into the fleet gradually

It is much more complicated than that. They lost their personnel. I am sure the slots have been given to other airlines. The planes have been placed with other operators or have been parked, and there is no fleet.

To me, Mexicana only exists in memory. There is really nothing left of it, really. It is a reality that a lot of people have to come to terms to accept sooner or later.

kiwiandrew

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:02 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 26):
It has not been flying for almost a year now.

Well over a year. closer to 18 months.

totesen

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:45 pm

but everything is already set up for the airline to start again,

Everything is ready, their problems where the first ones to be ready, Until MX gets rid of ASSA and ASPA, it will never be a efficient airline, look at AMX, if it wasnt for their crazy expensive prices, they would be in a terrible economic situation, literally the MX demise brought them back to life.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

AirframeAS

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 27):
Well over a year. closer to 18 months.

With that 18 months of non-existant flying, they have not made a dime. When an airline has not flown for that long, it makes it harder and harder, day by day to resurrect the airline.

Let's be blunt here: The airline has been dead for 18 months. The reality is, the airline is not coming back, period.

ODwyerPW

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Id love to see more expansion. Here in Sonora we have no affordable options for flying. GYM has two flights daily (Phoenix and La Paz) and everything out of HMO is quite expensive.
learning never stops.

Aeolus

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm curious to know what is happening the counter desks in MEX for example... they still have to pay their rent, right?
I think another factor is that they've lost credibility.. if things were back in the air 3 or 6 months after their flight suspensions, things would be different, but more than a year and a half has gone by with no development... I can't see MX coming back...

-Aeolus

[Edited 2012-02-27 11:02:55]
Flying under the clouds above!

ODwyerPW

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 am

I don´t know.. Personally, I think we are ready to see them re-emerge. The name Mexicana is a big deal. A re-launch would be exciting. After 18 months the fleet is gone. So we are talking about a total remake/total relaunch at least from a Fleet standpoint.

I see it as a whole new airline...but with the brand recognition of the old name.
I would love to see a fleet of 739MAX or A321NEOs. In the meantime, they will need to lease a few birds.

Volaris, Aeromexicana and VivaAerobus just dont serve enough places. We could do with a fourth. A sound tie-up with a US major would be nice, similar to what WN and Volaris are working on.
learning never stops.

AirframeAS

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Quoting Aeolus (Reply 31):
I'm curious to know what is happening the counter desks in MEX for example... they still have to pay their rent, right?

With what money??   

gen2stew

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 pm

VIVA MEXICANA!
By far one of the most gracious carriers anywhere!
I don't know why blessings wear disguises. If I were a blessing, I'd run around nude!

Mexicana757

Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 pm

I would love to see Mexicana back too, but I would love to see them back re branded and offering better onboard services than what the current LCCs and AM have. Offer something different a la VX or B6 but being able to operate with LCC costs. They can't be the old MX they need to come back or should I say resurrect as a whole different animal.

Looks like the reason for MX being grounded so long is because of all the red tape being thrown at them and the other airlines interested in their slots and route authorities. And the hesitation by the people holding MX to let go of the slots at MEX and limited route authorities to the US from MEX and GDL.

Quoting Aeolus (Reply 31):

Most of those counters have gone to Interjet and Volaris. Whatever sits empty with the MX logos will just sit empty until AICM can rent them to other airlines.

Quoting odwyerpw (Reply 32):
Volaris, Aeromexicana and VivaAerobus just dont serve enough places. We could do with a fourth.

Aeromexicana???   Did you mean Aeromexico... You forgot to add Interjet and Aeromar. And the low presence of Magnicharters.

Quoting odwyerpw (Reply 32):
So we are talking about a total remake/total relaunch at least from a Fleet standpoint.

If they launch it appears they will launch with A320s.

MaverickM11

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 pm

If they do get off the ground they're guaranteed a long and glorious return similar to that of Aviacsa.
I don't take responsibility at all

ODwyerPW

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 35):
Aeromexicana??? Did you mean Aeromexico... You forgot to add Interjet and Aeromar. And the low presence of Magnicharters.

Yes I did mean Aeromexico. Maybe I was comtemplating a restart of Mexicana, followed by a hostile takeover of Aeromexico. Just kidding.

You know, I honestly didn´t know Interjet and Aeromar were Mexican Airlines. Looks like I need to educate myself a bit more.
learning never stops.

Fyano773
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 23):

F9 has 3 of their aircraft now. They are registered as N951FR, N952FR and N953FR.

Thanks, besides, 17 planes are now part of AV's fleet, including 10 318s.

The airline is planning to start operations with 9 320s formerly owned by the carrier, but those planes were taken by the development bank Bancomext as a surety for a $80 million loan:

XA-MXR
XA-MXS
XA-MXT
XA-MXU
XA-MXV
XA-MXW
XA-MXX
XA-MXY
XA-MXZ

In the case MX restarted operations, those planes would be lease from Bancomext through a third party or leasing company. The name of Compass Aviation has been mentioned lately.

Quoting totesen (Reply 28):
Until MX gets rid of ASSA and ASPA, it will never be a efficient airline

Why? ASPA and ASSA are common to AM also. AM turned profitable prior to MX exit with the same conditions, same market, same country, same turf but different management.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos