BestWestern
Topic Author

Chinese Airline Quality Levels Improve

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:53 am

Sky Trax have produced a report on the changes in the quality of Chinese airlines.

http://www.airlinequality.com/news/china_24FEB.htm

"Outside China, we still see a lack of knowledge and awareness amongst air travellers about what airlines in China provide. Despite the major Chinese airlines meeting international safety standards, there is still prejudice amongst some travellers that quality does not match western levels" said Edward Plaisted, CEO of SKYTRAX. "The reality in 2012 is very different, and the depth of change and improvement that we have seen across the airline industry in China during the past 5 years is unmatched elsewhere in the world."

"Contrasting domestic flight operations in China against airlines in Europe or North America, the product and value concept is still much higher in China - with meals and complimentary beverages still offered to Economy class customers, and a greater dedication to offering high quality service levels across short haul routes."

Hainan Airlines (5 Star)

"Getting the Hainan Airlines brand recognised and respected for it's exceptional quality is needed" said Edward Plaisted. "Hainan Airlines have come so far in recent years, and deliver a quality of service and attention that rivals the long-established names such as Singapore Airlines. Their customer loyalty growth is definitely being fuelled by the consistency and high standards of their customer service and product."

Air China (4 star)

"With new flagship Premium lounges in Beijing to be unveiled during 2012, and a continued introduction of new A330 and Boeing 777 throughout the next 3 years, Air China have set their sights on achieving a higher Quality rating. With a number of their deliverables already meeting a 5-Star quality level, the main concentration for Air China has to be achieving strongest consistency levels"

"To take a simple example and compare two current 4-Star Airlines (Air France and Air China), we now find that Air China is outperforming Air France in quality terms across many front-line Product and Service areas - and yet, the public perception is often different, largely due to a lack of up-to-date knowledge"

China Eastern (3 Star)

"China Eastern Airlines (headquartered in Shanghai) is the second largest Chinese airline, and another carrier in the process of change and improvement to quality standards. Currently ranked as a 3-Star Airline, SKYTRAX have identified key areas of change that could enable China Eastern Airlines to deliver to 4-Star standards, and this is very much an area of monitor throughout 2012.

Regional Carriers

There is a clear desire amongst regional airlines in China to further improve and develop quality standards. By western standards these are large airlines, with fleets of more than 20 aircraft - carriers such as Shenzhen Airlines, Sichuan Airlines, Shandong Airlines, Chongqing Airlines, Juneyao Airlines, Lucky Air and Tianjin Airlines. Tianjin Airlines has already met quality requirements to achieve 4-Star Airline status, and has international expansion plans that include flying to a number of the world's major cities.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

CZ346

RE: Chinese Airline Quality Levels Improve

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:38 am

I fly for one of these airlines and I have to agree to a point. Honestly (and this is kind of messed up to say) but one of the biggest issues with Chinese airlines has ALWAYS been the Chinese. I love it here, and I respect the culture and people over here as if it were my own - but let me tell you it has taken a while for them to learn to how to fly. I think they're finally getting it and starting to realize they're not just on another bus.. I don't have to stop the plane when I turn off the runway anymore because everyone has stood up, gotten their bags and flashmobbed the door.

The other big thing that has (IMO) promoted some sort of quality improvement over here is the simple fact that it is regarded by many as the luxury it was years ago in the US. I fly CO very frequently when I'm back home (UA now..) and while its by far my most preferred airline in the US, its a bus company now as most airlines are. In economy, we still serve full meals on 99% of flights, offer free drinks and a bunch of other things (not to mentions they REALLY take after the Singapore Girl and do a good job at hiring their F/A's). Business class and first class are usually very empty and the seats are very well kept - They just generally are really relaxed airliners to fly and fly on.

Now that I've done my praise - let me tell you as a pilot here my 1 concern is safety and maintenance. I've flown with Captains before who move into position before the plane before it really even starts the take off roll. runway incursions happen daily, departing in icing condition without deicing - I'm pretty convinced I'm gonna die pretty soon. A couple of weeks ago we were departing a small(er) airport and another A333 was on a 2.5 mile final. I'll spare the details, but we went first. I'm not even gonna start about maintenance issues I see.

Typically, I'm on int'l flights down to Australia and most of the time I'm with another western pilot and everything is absolutely fine, but aviation safety in this country has a LONG way to go.

aeroblogger

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 am

The minute I saw the word "SkyTrax" I skipped the article.

I don't listen to anything they say. It's usually all bullsh*t.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

nethkt

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:13 am

lol one word, SkyTrax!
The most obnoxious, self-proclaimed-unbiased, UK-based consultancy.....
Let's just blame it on yields.

rogercamel

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:56 am

A lot of emerging Asian airlines are improving including those from China - and quickly catching up with the established airlines such as SQ and CX. Intl flights are definitely better than the domestic ones in my experience.

As an example I flew on VN three times last week and the improvement even within the last year is large - new planes, better food (hot meals on the flights I took), and the wide-bodies are beginning to get avod. A decade ago I wouldn't have trusted them at all, and probably avoided the SGN-HAN sector by routing through HKG to avoid VN.

Most emerging airlines in Asia still have a way to go - the airport experience often has a lot to be improved, and even as a layman I can understand the concerns of CZ346, but they are beginning to be a good alternative to the established airlines.

LJ

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:24 am

The heading of the article
"Quality levels across the Chinese airline industry continue to improve"

Whereas the say:

Quoting bestwestern (Thread starter):

"Outside China, we still see a lack of knowledge and awareness amongst air travellers about what airlines in China provide. Despite the major Chinese airlines meeting international safety standards, there is still prejudice amongst some travellers that quality does not match western levels" said Edward Plaisted, CEO of SKYTRAX. "The reality in 2012 is very different, and the depth of change and improvement that we have seen across the airline industry in China during the past 5 years is unmatched elsewhere in the world."

Do not match. Quality is something which is perceived. It's either there for someone or not (that's why it's very difficult to discuss the quality of an airline as the overall experience may be different for each person). What their headline should be is "Chinese airlines have improved their product". Anything else is highly subjective.

PezySPU

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 2):
The minute I saw the word "SkyTrax" I skipped the article.

Same thing here...

celestar

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:04 am

I recently flown from Shenzhen to WuXi on Shenzhen airlines.
No, service quality remains poor. Actually the FA were nice but ironically, the Chief Purser was the worst! Wonder how can airline with such crew will ever improve their quality level.
Whether possible, I fly KA (DRAGONAIR)

N503JB

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Anything related to Chinese and skytrax, forget it and don't waste your time. Caused both can be solve by $$$$$.

N503JB
HKIA Ramp Spotters

ghifty

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:48 am

Disdain for Skytrax is nothing new... but I've never understood what's wrong with it/them? Can someone please explane?  
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:52 am

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 1):
I'm pretty convinced I'm gonna die pretty soon.

Oh boohoo. I get to TEACH these kids how to fly. I've had plenty of near death experiences already.

And as much as I do my best to teach them, I can't help it if 80% of the kids they send over to us are complete knuckleheads to begin with. (I reluctantly work for one of those shady US pilot assembly lines that caters to desperate Chinese airlines if it wasn't obvious already).

Don't get me wrong, they're really hard working and very nice kids, but none of them have the capability of critical thinking. It's impossible for them to think out of the box. 99% of these kids just got sent over because of a random lottery, and few of them have any genuine interest in becoming a pilot. It's just a means to an end. The only good student I have is actually an engineer, and he was always sort of an aviation geek, and he came from apparently a well to-do family, so he's a huge cut above the rest. But the rest had never even flown before, let alone driven a car. For many the first flight of their life is when they ship them over state side to train.

It's an extremely lucrative business too, each kid is worth just shy of six digits, send a class of 20 over every other month,and well you do the math. On top of that we're supposed to get these kids from zero hours to ATP airline hero status in 10 months. In contrast for me it took FIVE years. You just can't possibly give quality instruction in that short time, and there's a lot of pressure put on us instructors to push them through.

It's just one of the many dark sides to aviation that nobody knows about. And I'm only in it because it's damn near impossible to find a flying job nowadays.

/rant

SomedayTrijet

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:02 am

Atleast on short-haul flights, I think many Chinese airlines are at least as good if not better then their European counterparts (don't have much experience of U.S airlines, so I won't comment on that.)

For example, I recently flew ARN-SVO on SAS, as well as XMN-CKG on Shandong Airlines, both in economy. Both flights are almost the same distance.

On the SAS flight I didn't get much for free, only a drink. The aircraft (a 736) was quite cramped, and seats relativly uncomfortable. The F/As were actually quite good, however, but that is really the only good point for that flight (except catching 736!)

On the SC flight I could settle in a comfortable seat, with very good legroom! We recieved not only free drinks, but also a full meal, and the meal tasted good considering it was after all airline food! The F/As were also good (and beautiful  .)

It is not only SC who have had provided me good service on short-haul routes from China. I have flown Air China, Xiamen Airlines, and China Southern as well, and all of them have provided good service, a good hard product, and a free meal on every flight, which is better then most of the European airlines I have flown on.
Flown on: ATR72-5, E190, E195, A319/20/21, A332/3, A380, 734/6/G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, 763ER/4ER, 772ER/LR, Q300, RJ100

fly2yyz

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:39 am

Quoting SomedayTrijet (Reply 12):

It is not only SC who have had provided me good service on short-haul routes from China. I have flown Air China, Xiamen Airlines, and China Southern as well, and all of them have provided good service, a good hard product, and a free meal on every flight, which is better then most of the European airlines I have flown on.

Should we also discuss the pay differences between the two airlines then? Also what happens at SC when you reach a certain age, do you still retain your job? There are many cost structure differences.

CZ346

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:36 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 11):

You hit the nail on the head! I couldnt have said it better. You're totally right though, not to be racist because like you said they are VERY hard working people and very attentive - they just lack any sort of innovation or critical thinking skills.

And my "death" comment was just a joke - if I really thought I was going to die I would have already turned in my uniform and headed back to the stated to fly q400's, but I can't pass up an opp. to fly a330's. 90% of the time, my FIC is a western pilot. My big concern isnt necessarily the flying because they kind of do things by the books and if I really need to step in during critical situations I do, but my concern is the safety and maintenance of the planes.

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:18 am

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 14):

And my "death" comment was just a joke - if I really thought I was going to die I would have already turned in my uniform and headed back to the stated to fly q400's, but I can't pass up an opp. to fly a330's. 90% of the time, my FIC is a western pilot.

I figured you really didn't have it that bad. Wish I had the flight time to go overseas and fly a heavy.

CZ346

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:45 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 14):

I think you would be surprised.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 14):
I figured you really didn't have it that bad. Wish I had the flight time to go overseas and fly a heavy.

I guarantee you that you do.

Right now (IMO) I'm seeing a lot of Chinese airlines following other successful airline business plans. Obviously I see the most with CZ, but it really seems like they're following Emirates. They're hiring a lot of young, western pilots, buying larger aircraft, and while its not on the books yet, they're really working on expanding out their international network and vastly improving international networks through a series on international focus cities and connections. My only concern with the expansion is where the hub is located and the cost of flying into CAN. Also, its not exactly easy to get from CAN to Hong Kong - right now you have to take a taxi from the airport to the Guangzhou East train station, jump a KTT train for 2 hours to Hung Hom station in Kowloon. I think if the CRH was from Guangzhou North Station (relatively close to the airport) to Hung Hom it would completely change CAN as we know it. 45 minutes from CAN to city center Hong Kong would make it a plausible substitute for HKG.

Sorry a little off topic there...

Thai744

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:26 am

Hi CZ346,

Just curious...(and been curious about this for a while)....

I live in SYD, and we get MU, CZ, and CA daily here. (Double daily on CA and CZ).
We also recently had Hainan Airlines introduce services here.

Out of these airlines, do they ALL employ western pilots? Is there a pilot shortage in China despite being such a populous country?

Are the western pilots mainly employed on domestic, regional or long-haul routes?

So... if I flew CZ or CA from Australia to China, what would the chances be of a getting a western pilot?
(Not that I'd feel unsafe with a Chinese pilot, I was just surprised to learn there is a big expat contingent of pilots in China).

I work for a company that deals with sending Australians to China for tours / holidays etc., so I'm interested to know how Chinese aviation works.

I've flown a lot of domestic flights within China and have always been pleasantly surprised at the service levels and meals etc.

tennis69

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:36 am

Hi CZ346

Actually you can take the Metro from CAN to Guangzhou East Railway Station, 10 stops and 30 minutes. About half the time a taxi will take.

CZ346

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 am

Quoting tennis69 (Reply 17):

I know - I do it regularly (I get off in Tiyu Xilu , I live in Tianhe). I absolutely love the GZ metro. It's fast, surprisingly clean and is easy to navigate, but my point was more directed towards if there was a high speed train out of a station closer to CAN (I guess even GZ East could theoretically work) then CAN could easily serve as a pax alternate to HKG. Right now you're looking at 2.5 - 3 hours to get from CAN to HKG and I dont really think thats too viable, especially from a business standpoint. Just sayin'

Quoting Thai744 (Reply 16):

I'll PM you with some of the more off topic stuff - but I agree with you. I've always been pleasantly surprised with the quality of service from Chinese airlines. I think a lot of it right now is that the airlines are being very competitive towards the other Asian airlines while they expand their routes internationally (like down to AS) - and IMO are doing a good job!

Thai744

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks CZ.

I look forward to the PM.

SomedayTrijet

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Quoting Fly2yyz (Reply 12):
Quoting SomedayTrijet (Reply 12):

Should we also discuss the pay differences between the two airlines then? Also what happens at SC when you reach a certain age, do you still retain your job? There are many cost structure differences.

Good point, one also needs to consider the differences. Of course the Chinese airline will have a different cost structure, and an advantage when competing internationally. If that should be considered a problem or not, I don't know. But that's for another thread.
Flown on: ATR72-5, E190, E195, A319/20/21, A332/3, A380, 734/6/G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, 763ER/4ER, 772ER/LR, Q300, RJ100

workhorse

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:43 pm

There's one thing I can't stop asking myself when I read these comments about terrible safety in Chinese aviation etc.

Well, first of all, dear CZ346 and Fly2HMO, please, don't think it's aimed at you or that I doubt what you say! You are professional pilots, and I've never been piloting an airplane except in MSFS, so you definitely know better then me...

But, I'm an IT guy and I have a nasty habit to believe in maths. China is becoming one of world's biggest aviation markets, right? CZ is world's 6th largest airline, and PEK is world's 2nd busiest airport, right? So, if safety in China was that bad, we should see hell of a lot of serious incidents there, I mean, statistically...

And the strange thing is, we don't. We don't see that much Chinese RJ's crashing because of taking off from a wrong runway, or Chinese widebodies stalling and crashing into the ocean because of pilots pulling the stick when flying close to maximum altitude in alternate mode... At least, not more than in Europe or North America...

So, is there some miracle which makes Chinese airlines' safety record similar to their western counterparts, or are they finally not that bad? I just wonder.

[Edited 2012-02-26 14:04:03]

WY101

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:09 pm

As an AF lover I think this article is very annoying. especially as they say AF is going back well AF says that it will be one of the best again by 2015. Skytrax never liked AF because I think they never pay them money. China Southern just designed a Skytrax lounge so a 9 year old boy can figure out that they are buying the awards and paying for the articles.
Here is a link on the "SKYTRAX" designed lounge.
http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/lounge_CZ2012.htm
Believe Chinese carriers are over-rated.

ual777

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:14 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 10):

Oh boohoo. I get to TEACH these kids how to fly. I've had plenty of near death experiences already.

And as much as I do my best to teach them, I can't help it if 80% of the kids they send over to us are complete knuckleheads to begin with. (I reluctantly work for one of those shady US pilot assembly lines that caters to desperate Chinese airlines if it wasn't obvious already).

Don't get me wrong, they're really hard working and very nice kids, but none of them have the capability of critical thinking. It's impossible for them to think out of the box. 99% of these kids just got sent over because of a random lottery, and few of them have any genuine interest in becoming a pilot. It's just a means to an end. The only good student I have is actually an engineer, and he was always sort of an aviation geek, and he came from apparently a well to-do family, so he's a huge cut above the rest. But the rest had never even flown before, let alone driven a car. For many the first flight of their life is when they ship them over state side to train.

Out of Denton perhaps?

I taught them a couple years ago out of SAT. They aren't that bad, you just have to teach them to think critically.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 10):

It's just one of the many dark sides to aviation that nobody knows about. And I'm only in it because it's damn near impossible to find a flying job nowadays.

There are places hiring gangbusters right now. ExpressJet needs 500 this year.

Quoting workhorse (Reply 21):

But, I'm an IT guy and I have a nasty habit to believe in maths. China is becoming one of world's biggest aviation markets, right? CZ is world's 6th largest airline, and PEK is world's 2nd busiest airport, right? So, if safety in China was that bad, we should see hell of a lot of serious incidents there, I mean, statistically...

And the strange thing is, we don't. We don't see that much Chinese RJ's crashing because of taking off from a wrong runway, or Chinese widebodies stalling and crashing into the ocean because of pilots pulling the stick when flying close to maximum altitude in alternate mode... At least, not more than in Europe or North America...

So, is there some miracle which makes Chinese airlines' safety record similar to their western counterparts, or are they finally not that bad? I just wonder.

Well, I think its due to a couple of factors. One the airspace isn't crazy congested yet. Two, a lot of the pilots are from the west.

I taught Chinese students for almost a year and the biggest problem is to get them to think outside the box. If I was teaching holding for example, and the actual winds were different than forecast, then the Chinese students would freeze up. So I spent a lot of time teaching them to think "ok maybe it wont always be what the paperwork/book says". It was fun though and I still keep in touch with them.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

Fly2HMO

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:24 am

Quoting workhorse (Reply 21):
So, if safety in China was that bad, we should see hell of a lot of serious incidents there, I mean, statistically...

I'll put it this way: here in the states, almost every major Chinese contract training school had a fatal accident last year, and my school was no exception.

Just you wait till 100% of all the pilots working in China actually are Chinese kids that were sent overseas to get their licenses as quickly and easily as possible and I guarantee you will have problems. Right now the vast majority of the Chinese pilot workforce are western pilots with thousands of hours already of experience.

When my students graduate they will already have a an empty right seat in the cockpit of an A319 waiting for them when they go back to China; with barely over 200hrs of total flight time and only 20hrs or so of turbine (turboprop) time. In the US the closest you could get to a flying job with 200hrs would be flipping burgers at the McDonald's inside your local airport's terminal.

Quoting ual777 (Reply 23):
They aren't that bad, you just have to teach them to think critically.

Clearly you got better students than I do. I only have one good one now (very good in fact), but my other two are hopeless and will probably be sent back to china soon and rightly so.

[email protected]

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:06 am

I also wonder that only so few accidents happen. Furthermore there are many delays due to congestion, do they just apply so strict rules to avoid at least accidents related due to the risk of too tight traffic?
Also with the basic understanding of quality in China, their creativity of bypassing rules & regulations, fake parts in all/many industries and the school system which does not really support to think outside the box – I wonder again how that works out with principles of safety in aviation.
Just have a look into their railway system, where a few accidents happened (but also not that much compared to the no. of trains) and many people are scared and for a short time went back to flying on some routes.
I have no doubt that above will change for the better in the near/mid term future, but how do they cope with it in the meantime?

In terms of service quality, that will be much more easier, even more difficult for the older airlines than for the newbie’s. As also the local understanding of service is totally different from our western way of thinking. Just compare how customer interact with a waiter here, it is not always very polite, from both sides, but nobody bothers that too much. And then there is still a way from being just nice to your client to provide a good, personal service. I’ve took MU,CA, CZ several times and, well, yes they serve usually food even on short haul flights, which is, if you are into airline food, better than most western airlines do, but information flow in case of delays and the general hospitality was not on paar.
Anyhow, some are, Juneyao Airlines, if I’m not wrong they are even a kind of LCC, I’ve only took them once till now and just one example before the take off and the cabin lights will be dimmed, the FA walked around and switched on the reading lights of everybody who was reading and if you later felt a sleep/closed your eyes they often switched them off again, just a small gesture, but nice and IMO good service is about small gesture.

Pls. do not understand above as china bashing, I live here, I love China, but I’m also realistic that even for them it must be sometimes difficult to keep pace in every sector with the incredible fast progress China made in general.

CZ346

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:56 am

Quoting ual777 (Reply 23):

Basically, the whole safety and Chinese airlines thing goes about like what he said. I have NEVER been put into a hold going in and out of any of the 3 major cities. The level of traffic here is minimal to none.

I'm probably just jaded by the way the US usually works with their level of safety. I reported the yoke (joystick in this case) to be a bit laggy in a plane I was routing the other day. Maintenance crew comes in. Sprays it with WD-40 and walks out saying "good to go", leaving my stick ... well, all lubed up (sorry couldn't resist). Another time we rotated and the gear made this god - awful gear grinding noise and they reported it as "normal". Clearly I'm aware that its not normal, but the maintenance is really of the mindset "get it off the ground".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos