Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Google/Bing Maps Say I Am An Airport.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:40 pm

This is somewhat funny, but potentially dangerous. Evidently FAA released a data base last year, and Bing and Google now show an airplane and name of an airstrip across the fields. While chances are small it is not vanishingly small that someone could see it and in an emergency decide it is better than nothing. Decades ago there was an active private personal airstrip on the acreage we own. A neighbor has a house near the former end of the strip. Trees have grown. I asked a local aviation person how to get us delisted. So far nothing is working. I even am getting advertisments as an 'industry leader' to buy their products. Hilarious. Anyone know who to call so we can get this delisted?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Fly2HMO

RE: Google/Bing Maps Say I Am An Airport.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:28 pm

Quoting frmrCapCadet (Thread starter):
While chances are small it is not vanishingly small that someone could see it and in an emergency decide it is better than nothing.

Ain't happening ever. In an emergency nobody is gonna take their time pulling out charts and start figuring out how to reach an airstrip which may or may not exist. In a serious emergency you land wherever you can. Besides, most educated pilots know the vast majority of the small charted airstrips are just random fields.

And just because bing lists it, it doesn't necessarily mean it's on a chart.

See if you can find it here:

http://skyvector.com/

May want to check if the airfield is listed here to get some more background info too:

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/

Quoting frmrCapCadet (Thread starter):
Anyone know who to call so we can get this delisted?

The FAA   

[Edited 2012-02-29 09:29:41]

[Edited 2012-02-29 09:30:41]

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Well, actually we did have a helicopter land.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

OB1504

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Quoting frmrCapCadet (Reply 2):
Well, actually we did have a helicopter land.

What was the pilot thinking, using Google/Bing Maps instead of a sectional chart?

GolfBravoRomeo

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):
In an emergency nobody is gonna take their time pulling out charts and start figuring out how to reach an airstrip which may or may not exist.

They don't teach that anymore? I remember back in the day having to routinely demonstrate that in private pilot training. Of course not for an engine out in a single but, "You've got problem X, show me on the sectional where you are and where you are going." Pointing out the window to the 4,000 by 100 paved runway in front of us was not the desired response. OK, it could have been the local DE's thing or "standard".

heathrow

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Send them an email. My friend's house had a private road listed as a public road in google maps with a street name and everything. They sent google a message and it was removed. Good luck!

Virginblue4

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:23 am

Same. I live in Porsmouth, UK and there used to be an airport here but was closed ages ago but is now sops and car dealerships. Google maps still thinks there is an airport there the lol  

Jordan
712 738 744 752 762 763 764 223 319 320 321 332 359 DH4 E75 F70
BA BE BT BY DL IB MT PC U2 V7 VS WA ZB 6Y

nomadd22

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):
Ain't happening ever. In an emergency nobody is gonna take their time pulling out charts and start figuring out how to reach an airstrip which may or may not exist. In a serious emergency you land wherever you can. Besides, most educated pilots know the vast majority of the small charted airstrips are just random fields.

How's the weather back there in the 90s? You can already set up devices to show you things like the nearest airfield with the push of one button. Exactly what someone might use in an emergency.
Anon

gregarious119

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Should be able to modify the listing on Google Mapmaker, should only take a day or two to get published if the satellite data matches what you say.

www.google.com/mapmaker

The program's intent is to add previously unknown features to Google's maps, but they also allow for the modification and deletion pending review of incorrect features.

Fly2HMO

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Quoting GolfBravoRomeo (Reply 4):

They don't teach that anymore?

I never teach that and I've never had an instructor teach me that and for good reason. You have no business messing with charts and looking inside the cockpit (aside for emergency checklists) if you have an engine failure at low altitude over the ground. Even being at 3000 ft AGL and even in a light airplane that's only a couple of minutes of glide time.

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 3):
What was the pilot thinking, using Google/Bing Maps instead of a sectional chart?

Helicopter pilots can land pretty much wherever they want you know   

I bet they landed there just because it looked like a nice field, not just because they spent hours preparing and flight planning to land at a questionable field. The helicopter outfit at my school do that all the time, they just pick a spot where they wont bother anybody and land.

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 7):

How's the weather back there in the 90s? You can already set up devices to show you things like the nearest airfield with the push of one button. Exactly what someone might use in an emergency.

I am very aware of that and I use that function on a daily basis thank you very much. And what use is that function if the nearest airport could be several dozen miles away well out of gliding range?   

If my engine fails this what I do, I've been taught, and what every instructor I know teaches (in a nutshell)
-Set best glide
-LOOK OUT THE WINDOW and select the best IMMEDIATE landing spot and fly towards it
-Run checklists
-Land

*THIS IS FOR LIGHT GA PLANES ONLY obviously airliners are much much different