Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

HPRamper
Topic Author

Woman Sues Skywest For Tripping In Jetway

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:49 am

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/352520/

I'm not exactly sure where in the jetway she would be talking about. Jetways don't have gaps, but they have possible trip hazards where the fittings for extension are. I see people trip or drop their carryon all the time when they hit these but never have I heard of a lawsuit.

The only other spot would possibly be the transition between the jetway and the actual aircraft - there is often a small gap here - but from the wording of the article it does not sound like this is the case. Especially as OO claims not to even be the responsible party.

wedgetail737

RE: Woman Sues Skywest For Tripping In Jetway

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:52 am

Why isn't she suing the airport authority? It's not like OO has anything to do with the conditions of the jetways. Ignorant public!

qf340500

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:59 am

Sure, sue the airport authority, sue the airline, the producer of the jetbridge, the producer of the carpet / floorcover on the airbridge, sue the mechanics / workers who put it together and sue her credit-card company for allowing her to book this dangerous flight, and maybe throw in the suit against the internet for allowing her to book that kind of budget airline flight online, and oh, don't forget to sue the advertising company for not warning her in the advertisements that there might be hidden and dangerous traps on airbridges...

What a load of BS!

YULWinterSkies

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:08 am

I can't wait the day that people will sue themselves for being morons.   
(Hold on, they might sue their parents, actually. = No more jokes.)  
When I doubt... go running!

khpn

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 am

saw the title, and knew exactly where it was going.
all you can say is wow.
it upsets me that people waste their time with nonsense like this, seriously gives our passion such unneeded negative press.

KLASM83

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:01 am

Man, this is what happens when out-of-state people come to North Dakota.

Seriously, I understand why she wants to sue, and if there was a legit problem with the jetway she should pursue the party responsible for med bills and nothing more. The story is vauge for now, so we'll see how this goes.

Having used the jetways at FAR, I can personally attest to them being gap-free.
"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability" -Edgar Allan Poe

Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

mayor

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:08 am

Remember the prevalent saying when riding the "tube" system in London..........................

MIND THE GAP!!  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

jporterfi

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:13 am

Really? A lawsuit over tripping? How stupid can you be? Watch where you're going, and if you trip, deal with it! Besides which, OO is right: it is not responsible for her tripping. The lawsuit should be dismissed.
PPC (ASEL) | Aircraft Flown: PA28, C172, DA20

ZuluTime

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:20 am

Technically, under the Montreal Convention, the airline is liable if the slip or trip happens when the passenger is boarding the aircraft. The airline may well be able to then claim damages back from the airport, but the Montreal Convention creates this silly ruling, not a lawyer in North Dakota. I've seen previous cases where a passenger has slipped on the apron when walking out to board aircraft via steps - they haven't even set foot on the aircraft yet, but the airline was liable and not the airport.

NWAESC

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 1):
Why isn't she suing the airport authority? It's not like OO has anything to do with the conditions of the jetways. Ignorant public!

Who owns the jetways in FAR? The airport itself, or the carriers?

Quoting KLASM83 (Reply 5):
and if there was a legit problem with the jetway she should pursue the party responsible for med bills and nothing more. The story is vauge for now, so we'll see how this goes.

Quoting ZuluTime (Reply 8):
Technically, under the Montreal Convention, the airline is liable if the slip or trip happens when the passenger is boarding the aircraft. The airline may well be able to then claim damages back from the airport,

Interesting! Does that apply even if the airport owns the jetway itself?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

kgaiflyer

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 6):
Remember the prevalent saying when riding the "tube" system in London..........................

MIND THE GAP!!

I've always had a tripping good time at Actontown and Hammersmith transferring from the (deep tube) Picadilly Line to the (above ground) District Line. I'm pretty sure there are attendants upstairs watching the surveillance cameras and laughing their asses off.

Maybe I should sue everyone upstairs with a smirk on their face.   

Quoting QF340500 (Reply 2):
sue the airport authority,

Makes more sense than suing the airline.

I've seen previous cases where a passenger has slipped on the apron when walking out to board aircraft via steps - they haven't even set foot on the aircraft yet, but the airline was liable and not the airport.

I've actually tripped and fallen down airstairs. Last time was departing an old America West flight at San Jose about ten years ago.

I was laughing louder than the rampers were, so I guess I can't sue.  

[Edited 2012-03-01 06:58:04]

jetblueguy22

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 pm

36,000 in medical bills and 50,000 for mental anguish? Are you kidding me? I can't imagine she had near that in medical bills never mind mental anguish. Yeah it might be embarrassing but nobody there could point you out of a line up if their lives depended on it! C'mon, this is just sad.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

NWAESC

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 11):
36,000 in medical bills and 50,000 for mental anguish?

36k seems steep, unless her injuries were catastrophic.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 9):
Who owns the jetways in FAR? The airport itself, or the carriers?

I don't know about FAR but in most cases, it is the airport that owns them and leases them to airlines. I think WN owns all their jetways at DAL, but I could very well be wrong.

So the woman should be suing the airport, or herself and not OO.

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 11):
36,000 in medical bills

It costs that much after you trip?? Really?! If I trip really bad and need to see a doctor, the co-pay is only $30.

Quoting HPRamper (Thread starter):

At DEN, there are some gaps inside the jetway itself as well at some gates.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

KaiGywer

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Quoting QF340500 (Reply 2):
Sure, sue the airport authority, sue the airline, the producer of the jetbridge, the producer of the carpet / floorcover on the airbridge, sue the mechanics / workers who put it together and sue her credit-card company for allowing her to book this dangerous flight, and maybe throw in the suit against the internet for allowing her to book that kind of budget airline flight online, and oh, don't forget to sue the advertising company for not warning her in the advertisements that there might be hidden and dangerous traps on airbridges...

You forgot to sue God for creating wind, which obviously created this dangerous gap...
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

nws2002

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Technically, under the Montreal Convention, the airline is liable if the slip or trip happens when the passenger is boarding the aircraft.

The Montreal Convention doesn't apply to domestic flights within the United States unless the passenger's itinerary included an international segment.

[Edited 2012-03-01 15:06:02]

LXa332

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:31 am

Quoting jporterfi (Reply 7):
Really? A lawsuit over tripping? How stupid can you be? Watch where you're going, and if you trip, deal with it! Besides which, OO is right: it is not responsible for her tripping. The lawsuit should be dismissed.

Welcome to America, the only place where somebody can hurt themselves and then sue somebody else for it!   

wjcandee

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:08 am

Hmmm...plaintiff works at a "Health Solutions" company.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Somalia-Gibson/100001182151103

HAWAIIAN932

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:25 am

This happened in September of 2009 and today is March 1st, 2012. Why wait so long ? Are you in too much pain or what ?

Context

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:02 am

Is it possible this suit is actually being raised by her medical insurance company? I know there are times policy holders have no choice (if they'd like to maintain benefits) but to sue any possibly responsible party. I guess what I'm really asking is if there is any chance we in the US haven't again pushed the boundary of litigious pursuit??

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 12):
36k seems steep, unless her injuries were catastrophic.

Assuming she also received medical care in the US I wouldn't be too surprised. Sticker shock for sure but when EACH pass through a CT machine sets you back nearly $1000 I guess it would add up. (They ran me through three times, thank gawd for insurance!) Orthopedic issues can require a lot of diagnostic to nail down.

If there really was a problem with the bridge, one that resulted from negligence, sure pay the medical bills. How on earth are you going to dig up credible evidence on the condition of the bridge and the diligence of the staff THREE YEARS after the fact?

heysfo

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:12 am

I think the airlines should get together and make sure this woman never flies on a US airline again .... sort like being put on an idiot list ....

intsim

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:25 am

Quoting HAWAIIAN932 (Reply 18):
This happened in September of 2009 and today is March 1st, 2012. Why wait so long ? Are you in too much pain or what ?

Pretty sure there is a three year statute of limitations. Medical bills get expensive. Probably easier to have a case two and a half years than right away.

Aloha!

HPRamper
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:10 am

Quoting LXa332 (Reply 16):
Welcome to America, the only place where somebody can hurt themselves and then sue somebody else for it!

While off topic, this doesn't hold a candle to the City of New York being sued at least THREE times by people tripping on the SAME piece of sidewalk...and them winning every time.

stasisLAX

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:15 am

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 17):
Hmmm...plaintiff works at a "Health Solutions" company.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Somal...51103

Ms. Somalia Gibson also attended a "Christian" college. Not forgiving others for their trespasses and all that....   
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

ZKOJH

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:11 am

silly person, if I tripped over a case on the jet bridge can I Sue for 96,000$ ha-ha-ha throw it out. what a waste
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

wjcandee

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:32 am

Quoting context (Reply 19):

Is it possible this suit is actually being raised by her medical insurance company?

This is actually a good point. A few years ago, when I slipped and hit my head (in my own place) on the corner of the door frame, requiring stitches, my health insurance company sent me a form designed to detect whether there was an opportunity to seek liability from another party. This is called subrogation, and it's a right most insurers of all kinds have: if we pay out for you, but someone else bears all or part of the responsibility, we (the insurer) can seek contribution or indemnification from them in your name.

Sadly for my health insurer, it was a true accident in my own place (remember that scene in My Cousin Vinnie? "Your place or someone else's?" "My place." "Oh.")

However, the instant plaintiff seems also to be seeking damages for pain and suffering, something that, while I am not sure, I don't think a subrogated insurance company would seek, given that they likely had not paid out money to their insured for pain and suffering. And many such claims between insurers are often (but often not, too) settled between them without litigation based on generally-accepted standards.

817Dreamliiner

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:37 am

Sue for tripping in the jetway? Honestly I really think this woman is really stupid, and I think its really stupid that she can sue for something like this but I guess thats how the legal systems works in the US? How exactly is this the airline's fault? If anything Skywest should sue her! Although this is likely not possible I guess
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos