Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M

RE: Indian Aviation Thread: Part 96

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 49):

That was yesterday....They Did not get paid all the arrears.
Heard the Pilots/Engineers are next.....

[Edited 2012-04-04 13:36:05]

LAXDESI

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 50):
That was yesterday....They Did not get paid all the arrears.
Heard the Pilots/Engineers are next.....

If the pilots and engineers are paid(even if partially), it may suggest that the management has an interest in saving the airline.

In other news, it was stated by SBI(lead banker) that IT can survive if the management were to inject equity.
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes...quity-sbi/articleshow/12534811.cms

Quote:
State Bank of India, the largest lender to Kingfisher Airlines, today said the cash-strapped company will be viable if it gets more equity.

"Fresh viability is there for everyone to see. If they (Kingfisher) get more equity, the company is viable," SBI Chairman Pratip Chaudhuri told reporters here in reply to a question.

Gr8Circle

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:04 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 40):
Why would you expect a bad flight??? AI has by far the best product for domestic India flights with comfortable seats, good food

Couple of years ago when I was in India, I traveled NAG-BOM on an AI A319......plane was relatively new, clean and spotless, FAs were polite and courteous and I got a warm snack and fruit juice on a domestic flight lasting an hour and 10 minutes....

HAWK21M

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:29 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 51):
If they (Kingfisher) get more equity, the company is viable," SBI Chairman Pratip Chaudhuri told reporters here in reply to a question.

But without a revised mgmt team......Things wont Improve.

LAXDESI

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Jet Airways plans more overseas flights by December 2012.
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes...mber-2012/articleshow/12554033.cms

Quote:
Naresh Goyal's Jet Airways is spreading its wings to reach more overseas destinations by winter of 2012, and thus coming strikingly close to Air India, India's national airline which currently flies to more overseas destinations.

With the civil aviation ministry ending Air India's monopoly over bilateral traffic rights, allowing all Indian carriers to utilise these, Jet Airways has sought government permission to expand its international services to 518 flights per week from 370 at present by winter of 2012.

The carrier has sought the ministry's approval to add 35 new flights to Germany and seven each to France and Belgium, in addition to seven each to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sharjah and Vietnam.

Civil aviation minister Ajit Singh recently liberalised the policy on overseas flights where approvals can be granted up to five seasons in advance.

It was in February that the government took away Air India's Right of First Refusal (RoFR) or its exclusive privilege to fly on foreign routes, on which private carriers could not operate unless AI said it won't fly on them.

This was done to increase the utilisation of bilateral rights, of which only 30-35% were so far used by Indian airlines.

CaliAtenza

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:33 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 40):

Why would you expect a bad flight??? AI has by far the best product for domestic India flights with comfortable seats, good food (I trust the sandwich and muffin were tasty), and reasonably (although probably money-losing) fares....

Its been ages and ages since ive flown..well ok i never flew AI i flew IC, but in the past few years i did tend to hear less then complementary things about AI, but i was impressed with the service for such a short flight and at such a late hour.

Quoting anshuk (Reply 41):

What time was the flight? If I recall correctly, when I took the flight back in 2008, I only got a sandwich as well! And a bunch of noisy kids kicking my seat from the back, of course

i remember it was past midnight..maybe around 1-1:30 am.

anshuk

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:22 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...e/article3287633.ece?homepage=true

"Bengaluru" Airport is to be renamed Kempegowda International Airport. I quite like that they've done it, to be honest.

HAWK21M

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Quoting anshuk (Reply 56):
"Bengaluru" Airport is to be renamed Kempegowda International Airport. I quite like that they've done it, to be honest.

Out here its all about naming.....The rest takes a backseat  

JOYA380B747

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:35 pm

So basically the condition of the Indian Aviation Arena is much like one being having

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 54):

Jet Airways plans more overseas flights by December 2012.
http://www1.economictimes.indiatimes...mber-2012/articleshow/12554033.cms

Ah.... the only category of Aviation News that I love listening to. When was the last time similar stories were heard in the past? maybe 3-4 yrs ago....      

However the Question is --- Where is the metal for all the routes that 9W is so ambitiously and exponentially planning to increase??      

vin2basketball

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 54):
Naresh Goyal's Jet Airways is spreading its wings to reach more overseas destinations by winter of 2012, and thus coming strikingly close to Air India, India's national airline which currently flies to more overseas destinations.

With the civil aviation ministry ending Air India's monopoly over bilateral traffic rights, allowing all Indian carriers to utilise these, Jet Airways has sought government permission to expand its international services to 518 flights per week from 370 at present by winter of 2012.

The carrier has sought the ministry's approval to add 35 new flights to Germany and seven each to France and Belgium, in addition to seven each to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sharjah and Vietnam.

Civil aviation minister Ajit Singh recently liberalised the policy on overseas flights where approvals can be granted up to five seasons in advance.

It was in February that the government took away Air India's Right of First Refusal (RoFR) or its exclusive privilege to fly on foreign routes, on which private carriers could not operate unless AI said it won't fly on them.

This was done to increase the utilisation of bilateral rights, of which only 30-35% were so far used by Indian airlines.

Translation: They'll add 20 odd int'l flights daily.

They have "plans" for MNL, SGN, CDG, FRA,PVG and some more to the Gulf,

Additionally, I'd like to seem them add a BLR-BRU-ORD type rotation to fill in the major gaps on the US and Indian sides

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 58):
Ah.... the only category of Aviation News that I love listening to. When was the last time similar stories were heard in the past? maybe 3-4 yrs ago....      

However the Question is --- Where is the metal for all the routes that 9W is so ambitiously and exponentially planning to increase??      

They're taking on a ton of 737NGs over the next few years, will have 5 77Ws rejoin the fleet plus 5 332s and 5 333s coming online in 2012-2013

JOYA380B747

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:13 am

Quoting vin2basketball (Reply 59):
Additionally, I'd like to seem them add a BLR-BRU-ORD type rotation to fill in the major gaps on the US and Indian sides

Exactly my thoughts 

Btw any chance they could reopen the PVG-SFO route and also are there any chances of DEL-AMS, which 9W mulled much over last year, to open?

Also whatever happened to 9W planning to join Skyteam. I'm pretty sure they'll reopen talks by year end.

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:18 am

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 55):

Its been ages and ages since ive flown..well ok i never flew AI i flew IC, but in the past few years i did tend to hear less then complementary things about AI, but i was impressed with the service for such a short flight and at such a late hour.

IC has been the more impressive part of AI for as long as I can remember. The most profitable part as well... However, AI is usually pretty good as well in my experience. Their product is way better than the crappy old aircraft that the European airlines send to India anyway...

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 58):

They are scheduled to get a bunch of A330s this year apparently.

himmat01

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:32 am

Why is 9W adding 35 flights on India-Germany sector. Are there plans for a second European hub at FRA/MUC?

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 am

Quoting himmat01 (Reply 62):
Why is 9W adding 35 flights on India-Germany sector. Are there plans for a second European hub at FRA/MUC?

They aren't launching 35 flights on India-Germany, unless they want to follow Kingfisher.

JOYA380B747

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Why is 9W adding 35 flights on India-Germany sector.

If this were to become a reality, I'm pretty sure a third German destination, probably DUS or BER might be linked to India because no way is 9W going to make a hub there as per my guesses.

In any case 35 more flights to Germany from India is still a distant dream.

LAXDESI

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 64):

I wonder if it is related to 9W joining Star Alliance with a JV with LH in the next few years.

vin2basketball

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 65):

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 64):

I wonder if it is related to 9W joining Star Alliance with a JV with LH in the next few years.

9W to Star isn't looking too good thanks to the hullabaloo around the AI Star fiasco. 9W might just be pushed towards OneWorld as SkyTeam is actually looking at IndiGo as a feed partner a-la Gol in S. America.

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 60):

Exactly my thoughts 

Btw any chance they could reopen the PVG-SFO route and also are there any chances of DEL-AMS, which 9W mulled much over last year, to open?

Also whatever happened to 9W planning to join Skyteam. I'm pretty sure they'll reopen talks by year end.

PVG-SFO leg isn't likely to happen, as the primary Indian demand to SFO is from BLR, but PVG-SFO would be paired with BOM as BLR does not have enough demand today to PVG.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 63):

They aren't launching 35 flights on India-Germany, unless they want to follow Kingfisher.

Forget the business case, they physically can't add 3 weekly flights to Germany. Lufthansa is at 46 weekly ( FRA-BOM/BLR/DEL/MAA daily, FRA-PNQ 4w, MUC-DEL/BOM daily) and AI is at 7 weekly (DEL-FRA). Germany flights are restricted to 63/wk by the liberalized bilateral.

So best case scenario, they could add daily BOM-FRA with a 3w BOM-MUC or something along those lines, another potential combo is 5w BOM/DEL-FRA.

usflyer msp

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:54 am

Quoting vin2basketball (Reply 66):
Forget the business case, they physically can't add 3 weekly flights to Germany. Lufthansa is at 46 weekly ( FRA-BOM/BLR/DEL/MAA daily, FRA-PNQ 4w, MUC-DEL/BOM daily) and AI is at 7 weekly (DEL-FRA). Germany flights are restricted to 63/wk by the liberalized bilateral.

Im pretty sure that the BASA includes 63 weekly flights per nation, not total.

behramjee

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:24 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 67):

Im pretty sure that the BASA includes 63 weekly flights per nation, not total.

100% correct !

I think they will code share on LH operated flights here rather than use their own metal.

With regards to the new routes, it most likely shall be as follows:

DEL-SGN daily B737 which will serve both as a feeder for CDG/MXP as well as rapidly expanding India-Vietnam tourism/business market segments!

DEL-CDG daily A332

BLR-BRU daily A332...hopefully JFK will be suspended and instead ORD launched!

DEL-RUH daily B737...desperately required !

The extra DOH daily frequency will come from South India (either TRV or MAA)
DEL-BKK is in desperate need of a second daily B737 operated frequency with a 0200 departure out of DEL and arrival back between 2200-2330.

For KWI, it should be MAA-KWI nonstop as the annual market size on this sector is 178,000 pax and only KU operates it 4 times per week nonstop using an A310. FYI MAA-KWI is the largest Indian subcontinent market segment out of KWI...yes even bigger than KWI-COK/BOM/DEL/TRV!!!

What is the delivery schedule of the newly ordered 9W A333s?

9W needs to also look at MAN-BOM nonstop 5 times per week using an A332 as there is a huge O&D market that needs a nonstop service i.e. 78,000 pax in 2011 alone. Plus they will get excellent feed via BOM to DAC/CMB/BKK/HKG/South India/AMD!

simfanatic

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 am

9W did however once state that they were interested in starting a route to BER, once it was open. So I guess they would actually physically stay out of FRA and MUC, and then go for DUS and BER, either codesharing with LH on their FRA/MUC-India sectors, or with AB from their Hubs in DUS and BER. The latter however is the less realistic option.

CaliAtenza

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 61):

IC has been the more impressive part of AI for as long as I can remember. The most profitable part as well... However, AI is usually pretty good as well in my experience. Their product is way better than the crappy old aircraft that the European airlines send to India anyway...

I still fondly remember my flights with IC as a child...the candies that were handed out before take off, along with the mango juice  . Even the international flights were quite good (i used to fly IC to BLR from SIN back when BLR was a quaint town with very limited international air service). I never got the chance to fly AI internationally. I fly ex LAX to India...and i never flew AI in that brief period they had service to LAX.

anshuk

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 70):
I still fondly remember my flights with IC as a child...the candies that were handed out before take off, along with the mango juice  . Even the international flights were quite good (i used to fly IC to BLR from SIN back when BLR was a quaint town with very limited international air service). I never got the chance to fly AI internationally. I fly ex LAX to India...and i never flew AI in that brief period they had service to LAX.

I remember as a kid I used to stay up till half past midnight every Saturday to watch an AI flight come in to land. Don't remember where it was from but I think it was an A300/310. Good old days!  

Looks like IT has finally paid out salaries after a full four months:

http://www.thehindu.com/business/companies/article3296945.ece

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Quoting anshuk (Reply 71):

Looks like IT has finally paid out salaries after a full four months:

For December.

HAWK21M

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:34 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 72):

For December.

Disappointing......

pnd100

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:05 am

Does anyone know if VS plans to expand beyond BOM in India? I suspect not but wanted to get your opinions.
Also what do you think will be the next international carrier to come to India?

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 44):
Does anyone have any recent information or photos from CCU regarding the new terminal?

Btw, any news on this? Please let me know if someone has been to CCU lately or has any information.

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:18 am

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 74):
Does anyone know if VS plans to expand beyond BOM in India?

Doubtful - they'd be competing head on with BA on any viable destination.

Scoot

pnd100

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 75):

Does anyone know if VS plans to expand beyond BOM in India?

Doubtful - they'd be competing head on with BA on any viable destination.

This is what I suspected as well. Even without BA I doubt VS would have made further inroads into India. Maybe DEL but with BA even that is out. One of our partners in India was asking so I thought I would collect some more thoughts. Thank you.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 75):

Scoot

Hmmm interesting. There is no doubt that India-Australia is underserved. What other segments or markets do you all think may be viable ex India?

JOYA380B747

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:33 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 44):
Does anyone have any recent information or photos from CCU regarding the new terminal?

Btw, any news on this? Please let me know if someone has been to CCU lately or has any information.
Mamata Banerjee asks Airports Authority of India to commission new terminal by June

However, based on the progressions I saw when I flew through CCU last month, June is still a far cry. None of the jetways were fully completed, and only the outer shell of the terminal building was in place. Judging by the pace of the work, I think only around Diwali this year is the inauguration even remotely possible.

Unless AAI and Mamatadi want the roof to fall down, I don't believe summer is possible, but again, Indian workforce is known to pull off last minuters... viz Commonwealth Games, F1 Indian GP.  http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/507/img00295.jpg/sr=1
This is a picture from around Nov '11, but what I saw last month was somewhat similar.

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 76):

This is what I suspected as well. Even without BA I doubt VS would have made further inroads into India. Maybe DEL but with BA even that is out. One of our partners in India was asking so I thought I would collect some more thoughts. Thank you.
Not sure what you mean? VA already has announced DEL (A330 from July) - I thought that was already included in destinations when you said expansion. If not, I will make the sage prediction that VA will serve DEL  

Further expansion is highly unlikely.

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 76):

Hmmm interesting. There is no doubt that India-Australia is underserved. What other segments or markets do you all think may be viable ex India?

The GoI would like to stregnthen relations with countries in Africa and Central Asia (the "stans"), along with Iran and Russia. Part of this effort by the foreign ministry has been putting pressure on AI to launch routes to destinations in these countries, even if it would be highly unprofitable. However, there are also a lot of destinations in these countries which are currently underserved or will become underserved in the near future.

India-China is also underserved, but that is mostly because of the frosty relationship between India and China.

India-Pakistan is underserved - there is some demand on these routes, which currently all goes through the gulf. A Karachi/Lahore/Islamabad-Mumbai/Delhi route on a A320 would be a very successful route for any airline that wanted to try it (would probably be IC (AI) if it happened)

[Edited 2012-04-11 11:08:55]

pnd100

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Thank you, I was aware of the speculation re VS-DEL but unaware of the announcement. Therefore your "sage prediction" has educated me

Regarding the markets, India-Pakistan is the obvious one but that is outside of airline hands. India-China I think will grow over time, I'm not sure if it can be considered underserved at the moment based on traffic reports. It seems right for the current traffic. Future traffic or traffic potential is not what I am asking. I was more interested in which markets have flights where current demand would warrant more. From your point Russia & Iran were interesting. I could see both of these markets growing ex India now. Conversely what current markets are saturated in everyone's view?

JOYA380B747, thanks for this information, I was beginning to worry that no one would be able to respond! As for the last minute Indian work ethic, in my opinion based on my experience, this can be pulled off in India, but not necessarily in Kolkata. I do not see a CWG / F1 type of scenario happening here. Nevertheless CM Bannerjee has made things happen before that no one could have predicted so let's see

LAXDESI

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:32 pm

Thread on AI restructuring.
AI To Get $6B, Relocate 19,000 Employees (by LAXDESI Apr 12 2012 in Civil Aviation)

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 79):
Conversely what current markets are saturated in everyone's view?

Thailand, big time. Far too much capacity available to BKK, which usually tends to be (relative) trash yield leisure traffic.

India-UK is also overserved somewhat - there is more capacity than profitable demand. Obviously, there is tons of demand if airlines slash fares sufficiently.

Service to the Gulf is saturated, but misallocated. There is a lot of demand on the types of routes that IX flies, but not a lot of capacity. Conversely, there are too many flights on major Gulf metros to major Indian metros.

JOYA380B747

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:56 am

Taken from ET

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/photo/12656355.cms

Is it true the first 787 will do domestic?! I'm guessing that will obviously do DEL-BOM, but are the domestic gates in the major Indian airports large enough to accommodate it?

Also will the Aussie flight be DEL-MEL-SYD as it says here OR DEL-MEL/ DEL-SYD

sankaps

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 77):
However, based on the progressions I saw when I flew through CCU last month, June is still a far cry. None of the jetways were fully completed, and only the outer shell of the terminal building was in place. Judging by the pace of the work, I think only around Diwali this year is the inauguration even remotely possible.

I had a quick tour of the work in progress in CCU yesterday (I am in the airline industry). The terminal looks quite impressive in concept and design, glassy, curvy, high ceilings, reminiscent of LHR T5 (on a much smaller scale). And quality of workmanship seems quite high, hundreds of construction workers working away. Nice motifs such as tastefully done large font Tagore scripts on the ceilings etc. Much more architecturally impressive (and larger) than BLR for sure. Will have 17-19 airbridges. And a direct flyover access from the main road.

Opening will likely be October, with a soft or limited opening hoped for July (apparently three smaller foreign airlines have been asked if they want to be the guinea pigs). Who knows, they may make it, judging from how in India things get done in a scramble at the last minute. I hope the finish is good, and that operational processes and customer service are also improved, not just the building! For a starters, they should keep it clean and clear the trash!

anshuk

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:36 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 81):
India-UK is also overserved somewhat - there is more capacity than profitable demand. Obviously, there is tons of demand if airlines slash fares sufficiently.

The fares you to be extremely low about 2.5-3 years ago, but since then they have been on a steady upward climb. BA seems to do well from all the stations it flies from, but I'm not sure about 9W and AI.

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 82):
Is it true the first 787 will do domestic?! I'm guessing that will obviously do DEL-BOM, but are the domestic gates in the major Indian airports large enough to accommodate it?

ET is quite an unreliable newspaper. Nonetheless, 787 on domestic routes is entirely plausible for the purposes of crew familiarisation.

AI already flies the A330 on domestic routes and I'm pretty sure 9W has occasionally flown both the A330 and the 77W on DEL-BOM.

JOYA380B747

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Quoting anshuk (Reply 84):
AI already flies the A330 on domestic routes and I'm pretty sure 9W has occasionally flown both the A330 and the 77W on DEL-BOM

Thanks but just out of curiosity and my humble lack of knowledge, where in the domestic area would/do they park them?
T3 domestic stands at the gates are very closely spaced for a widebody and BOM barely has space at all.

Quoting sankaps (Reply 83):
I had a quick tour of the work in progress in CCU yesterday

Thanks very much, first person I found to give an actual account of what the terminal is going to be like. Despite all the flaws with CCU and the State govt I sincerely hope shortcomings are not shown in the new terminal as and when it begins, as they usually do with every thing in my State. To say Calcutta, the 3rd largest city, has the 5th busiest overall and 9th busiest international airport in the country is a personal shame. Get it right Mamata.

pnd100

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Quoting sankaps (Reply 83):
I had a quick tour of the work in progress in CCU yesterday (I am in the airline industry). The terminal looks quite impressive in concept and design, glassy, curvy, high ceilings, reminiscent of LHR T5 (on a much smaller scale). And quality of workmanship seems quite high, hundreds of construction workers working away. Nice motifs such as tastefully done large font Tagore scripts on the ceilings etc. Much more architecturally impressive (and larger) than BLR for sure. Will have 17-19 airbridges. And a direct flyover access from the main road.

Opening will likely be October, with a soft or limited opening hoped for July (apparently three smaller foreign airlines have been asked if they want to be the guinea pigs). Who knows, they may make it, judging from how in India things get done in a scramble at the last minute. I hope the finish is good, and that operational processes and customer service are also improved, not just the building! For a starters, they should keep it clean and clear the trash!

First of all sankaps thank you for the detailed description! It appears very encouraging but you hit the nail on the head with the last couple of sentences. There is no doubt that with such a large population Indians have great building & finishing power but sometimes Indian talent for service remains untapped. DEL was impressive not for the gold elephants in the building but because of the service they provided. I mean when we saw the smiles on their faces & genuine desire to help we were floored given our experiences of the indifferent staff prior. This is something I hope is recreated at CCU as well.

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 85):
Thanks very much, first person I found to give an actual account of what the terminal is going to be like. Despite all the flaws with CCU and the State govt I sincerely hope shortcomings are not shown in the new terminal as and when it begins, as they usually do with every thing in my State. To say Calcutta, the 3rd largest city, has the 5th busiest overall and 9th busiest international airport in the country is a personal shame. Get it right Mamata.

It is encouraging to see someone with your attitude. I've been to CCU many times & any suggestion of improvement is often misinterpreted as an insult by locals. They don't see that if we suggest improvement its because we want to see the city / country / airport do better. I was not able to see Calcutta in the heyday of the 1960s but it also saddens me to see the former capital of the country, a city with so much potential in the state that it is today. CCU used to be the gateway airport to India, served by Pan Am & BOAC. Today it's almost mockingly called the gateway to the northeast? I really hope they get the new terminal right & that it serves as a springboard to improvement in infrastructure throughout Kolkata.

anshuk

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 85):
Thanks but just out of curiosity and my humble lack of knowledge, where in the domestic area would/do they park them?
T3 domestic stands at the gates are very closely spaced for a widebody and BOM barely has space at all.

I have no idea, to be honest! I know in BOM they tend to park domestic flights on the international and cargo aprons during busy times (as the peak hour for international travel starts late at night) and bus the passengers to the terminals. I can tell you for sure soon as I know someone who will be travelling on BLR-BOM on AI 610 soon, which is operated by the A330. I'm not sure if its a daily A330 or only on certain days of the week.

aeroblogger
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:20 pm

AI is able to operate domestic flights as international flights - they could just fly T3 International to Sahar.

sankaps

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 86):
I was not able to see Calcutta in the heyday of the 1960s but it also saddens me to see the former capital of the country, a city with so much potential in the state that it is today. CCU used to be the gateway airport to India, served by Pan Am & BOAC

In the 50s and early 60s, CCU was one of the busiest international airports in Asia... on par with HKG and perhaps second only to HND, ahead of BOM, DEL, BKK, SIN, etc. DXB was just a village.

Alas, those days are long gone and looks like with the current Chief Minister, things will only get worse in terms of industry and economy.

[Edited 2012-04-14 09:23:44]

anshuk

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 88):
AI is able to operate domestic flights as international flights - they could just fly T3 International to Sahar.

AI 609/610 operate from Terminal 1 of BOM..

BLRAviation

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Quoting anshuk (Reply 87):
I can tell you for sure soon as I know someone who will be travelling on BLR-BOM on AI 610 soon, which is operated by the A330. I'm not sure if its a daily A330 or only on certain days of the week.

If its an A330, then most definitely parking in the international apron. I very much doubt BOM airport has provision for a Code D in the domestic side. May be in Terminal 1A.

Ojas? Any idea?

vin2basketball

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 86):
It is encouraging to see someone with your attitude. I've been to CCU many times & any suggestion of improvement is often misinterpreted as an insult by locals. They don't see that if we suggest improvement its because we want to see the city / country / airport do better. I was not able to see Calcutta in the heyday of the 1960s but it also saddens me to see the former capital of the country, a city with so much potential in the state that it is today. CCU used to be the gateway airport to India, served by Pan Am & BOAC. Today it's almost mockingly called the gateway to the northeast? I really hope they get the new terminal right & that it serves as a springboard to improvement in infrastructure throughout Kolkata.

Remember, CCU is a very educated area, with lots of talent. In spite of the poor govt. environment, Bengal has attracted a ton of FDI, especially in IT. If CCU had the govt of Gujarat (w. regards to education), I firmly believe that CCU would be India's second city (economically), though communism might be ingrained by now.

anshuk

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Quoting BLRAviation (Reply 91):
If its an A330, then most definitely parking in the international apron. I very much doubt BOM airport has provision for a Code D in the domestic side. May be in Terminal 1A.

I know for a fact that a few domestic flights are parked on the international apron during the domestic peak hours. Not sure if this still happens but it definitely happened in the past. But yes, Ojas can probably tell us best!

HAWK21M

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Quoting BLRAviation (Reply 91):
f its an A330, then most definitely parking in the international apron. I very much doubt BOM airport has provision for a Code D in the domestic side. May be in Terminal 1A.

Not any more.....If not mistaken Domestic Bays are all max code c.
Code D are at the International apron.

VIDP

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:27 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 95):
Not any more.....If not mistaken Domestic Bays are all max code c.
Code D are at the International apron.

I wonder how jet manages when they repo their A332 once a week from DEL to BOM. Are they transferring pax from international apron to the domestic terminal ?? That would be one long affair.

15a

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:26 am

Quoting VIDP (Reply 95):

9w parks several 737 as well on the international apron since they rotate aircraft between domestic & international runs. It is one long & very painful ride & the bags take forever to come as well. So for 9w (& their suffering pax) transferring pax between the domestic & international apron is common

HAWK21M

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:06 am

Quoting VIDP (Reply 95):

I wonder how jet manages when they repo their A332 once a week from DEL to BOM. Are they transferring pax from international apron to the domestic terminal ?? That would be one long affair.

A332 is at the International Apron....Including a number of B737/A320s too....The Boarding starts very early & there is a Looong drive to the International bays  

HAWK21M

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 am

Royal Brunei BI098 Emergency Landing In Mumbai (by fauzi Apr 15 2012 in Civil Aviation)

Anyone aware...

[Edited 2012-04-15 02:07:39]

sankaps

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:38 am

Photo of the new CCU airport terminal taken today.

Kolkata (Calcutta / CCU)'s new terminal under construction, expected to open later in 2012.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos