ckfred

RE: Why No Comfort Food In Premium Classes?

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:40 am

Back in the 1990s, American used to have a personal pan pizza from Pizzeria Uno in Chicago. It was usually served in First on either snack flights or on the F100, which didn't a galley large enough to do the more elaborate service.

Supposedly, AA had a mac and cheese entree in domestic First, either with lobster or crab meat mixed in. I don't know for sure, because the flight that was supposed to have the entree was delayed due to going tech, and I wound up in coach on a later flight.

Last summer, AA had a cheeseburger in First. Now, it was a bit dry. There is no way that it could serve a burger as juicy as Wendy's, In-N-Out, or some of the good burger joints in Chicago. But, it was nicely seasoned and had fresh toppings (lettuce, tomato, pickles), so it was fairly good.

AA used to have make your own sundaes in First, but that seems to have been replaced by the warm chocolate chip cookies.

aviateur

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:10 am

The following is from my book...

"...Highfalutin affectations are at best artificial, and at worst downright embarrassing. In the premium cabins you've earned the right to some grandiloquent fun, if that's your thing, after handing over $5,000 for a ride. But what is a backpacking college kid in row 45 supposed to think when handed a cardstock menu promising "authentic Italian minestrone with garlic and herb croutons?" Sounds impressive, but he will not get a fancy meal.

He will get a half-assed meal pretending to be a fancy one, served on a needlessly crowded tray overflowing with plastic wrap and cups. The kid is not interested in living out a bourgeois fantasy of the 1940s. All he wants is maybe some pasta or a sandwich. In much the way Burger King looks silly when it gives upmarket names to downmarket food, American and United aren't fooling anybody through puffy overflowering... "

- Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

wdleiser

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 am

best meal hands down were the Happy Meals United served to minors

ikramerica

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:58 pm

After experiencing LH J class recently, I would gladly have welcomed a comfort food option. My wife and I had to choose the least objectionable option for the main meal (a bland cod dish), and then there really wasn't a choice with the pre-landing dinner/snack which had a trio of "tapas/shots" including chicken liver, venison ham and smoked trout or a celery ravioli casserole.

Granted, they were better than we expected, but we certainly would have preferred a more satisfying and safer comfort food like sauerkraut and sausages or something like that. Heck, the hot food offered in the J lounge in MUC was sausage, Munich potato salad (cold of course) and carrot soup, all basic comfort foods, and they were very popular. So it's not like J class pax are going to turn their noses up at a choice of a less gourmet offering to go along with the super trendy food "shots".
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

iainbhx

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 53):
After experiencing LH J class recently, I would gladly have welcomed a comfort food option.

That's what the Lufthansa Classics option is for. This months is veal and dumplings and it's pretty good.

Some of the starters can get pretty odd though, especially in LH F.
iainbhx

klkla

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Quoting VC10er (Thread starter):
What happened to lasagna?

Just last Monday DL served Lasagna as a choice MIA-LAX. It was so hot that the flight attendants didn't feel comfortable serving it right away and waited about 15 minutes for it to cool off.

The steak option on DL long haul is sometimes braised short ribs which would qualify as comfort food (had it on way to SYD in Nov.).

ikramerica

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting iainbhx (Reply 54):
That's what the Lufthansa Classics option is for. This months is veal and dumplings and it's pretty good.

True, the Classics is that, and I guess being German, they assume that everyone will find veal to be a fine comfort option, but much of the world has stopped eating veal out of cruelty concerns. Ultimately, that's a cultural thing. But especially on a flight to LAX, a city where veal is very hard to find on a menu, maybe a different choice than veal? I didn't choose it because I had veal three of the previous five nights (can only eat so much veal in a week, no?), but my wife didn't choose it because it's veal...

GSPSPOT

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting klkla (Reply 55):
The steak option on DL long haul is sometimes braised short ribs which would qualify as comfort food

Oh, MAN! Had that in F on a CVG-SEA flight a few years ago. YUM! Anything braised.... I'm in!!
Great Lakes, great life.

iainbhx

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:11 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 56):
True, the Classics is that, and I guess being German, they assume that everyone will find veal to be a fine comfort option, but much of the world has stopped eating veal out of cruelty concerns. Ultimately, that's a cultural thing. But especially on a flight to LAX, a city where veal is very hard to find on a menu, maybe a different choice than veal?

The "cruel" veal is pretty much gone now, milk veal and veal crates have been history since 2007 in the EU (but not Switzerland and I had veal on LX on Friday oops). The core audience for LH is European flyers, primarily from the Deutscher Sprachraum and the Classics reflect that. The menus are tailored by area more for the return legs, I understand that steak and chicken have to be two of the three choices out of a certain market. Until the advent of StarChefs, my main problem with LH C catering is that the menus weren't translated well, quite a bit of the StarChefs stuff is overly ornate and bad. Personally I'm hoping for the return of Königsberger Klopse soon as an LH classic.
iainbhx

ikramerica

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:47 am

Quoting iainbhx (Reply 58):
The "cruel" veal is pretty much gone now, milk veal and veal crates have been history since 2007 in the EU (but not Switzerland and I had veal on LX on Friday oops). The core audience for LH is European flyers, primarily from the Deutscher Sprachraum and the Classics reflect that. The menus are tailored by area more for the return legs, I understand that steak and chicken have to be two of the three choices out of a certain market. Until the advent of StarChefs, my main problem with LH C catering is that the menus weren't translated well, quite a bit of the StarChefs stuff is overly ornate and bad. Personally I'm hoping for the return of Königsberger Klopse soon as an LH classic.

Good to know about the Veal changes in the EU. Sadly most of the veal dishes I ate on my trip were in switzerland, including their delicious version of Cordon Bleu.

I also get that the meals are tailored for the EU crowd, but I find it funny that no matter what airline, when flying to Asia, there are always special meals offered to appease the Asian traveler, but when flying to/from the USA, not the case. Same even goes for the lounges, making sure to offer an asian dish.

Same holds for USA carriers, appeasing Asian travelers but not necessarily anyone else, though I have found that USA carriers try to offer something specific to the route they are flying to the EU (or they used to do this).

PPVRA

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 am

You're in a tight place for many hours, do you really want to have your stomach bursting with lasagna?
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

NC1844V

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:00 am

Great question.

I've only flown in a Premium Class a few times, but the times I've flown I have enjoyed the "attempt" at making gourmet fancy food. See I live in a small one horse, one traffic light kind of town. Mcdonalds and Subway is about as gourmet it gets for me around here. Kind of nice to eat something different and eat it on an airplane which is even better.

But I agree with you, more selection for us "small town folks" would be nice.
Steven

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos