kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 5/12: ILS Established, Gear Down, Flap 30

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Good evening folks and welcome to our newest thread of 2012:

Here's a link to the last one, should anyone wish to refer back to it:
Irish 4/12: Airborne And Climbing ... (by kaitak Feb 18 2012 in Civil Aviation)

There have been some interesting developments of late, mostly involving Aer Lingus and its likely partners and investors; we can expect to see a significant increase in these developments as the government seeks to sell off its stake in the carrier. JetBlue has been mentioned, but both it and the govt says it's unlikely, while EY seems to be courted merely as a commercial partner; of course, there will be a lot of red herrings thrown out and false leads circulating, to throw people off the scent; these discussions - whoever they involve - will be very secret.

There have been some interesting rumours about EI and EY involving the possibility of fifth freedom rights and EI flying to AUH; the fifth freedom aspect is very interesting; EY already serves a number of US routes directly from AUH, so it would be interesting to see what cities this might involve; EK is expanding its US presence, with a new route expected imminently, so there's not a lot for EY to choose from, assuming it wants to pick a city not already served. MIA is one that comes to mind.

Despite grounding a significant number of its aircraft, FR continues to accept new aircraft, with EI-EVI and 'EVJ just entering the fleet. It is also announcing new routes here and there and only today, announced three new routes from the Dutch city of Groningen.

On the movements side, at DUB, Air Baltic returns, while Thomson is to base a second 738 at DUB.

So, here we go folks; fasten your seat belts, because I think we're going to see some very interesting developments over the next few weeks ...

[Edited 2012-03-13 11:15:50]

OA260

RE: Irish 5/12: ILS Established, Gear Down, Flap 30

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Great to see BT back in DUB.

Cant wait to see the A319s in service out of BFS also , not long now.

Cabincrewifly

Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:29 pm

It should be a great few weeks...the start of the summer schedule is near!!
EI FR RE EIR IWD MA FUA

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:07 pm

I am looking fwd to seeing some A319s in DUB, even if just testing.

I think the most exciting thing coming up is the shape of the commercial agreement between EY and EI. There are quite a few cities in the US with strong M/E, Pakistani, Indian and other "eastern" ethnic populations. These cities can't be reached efficiently with the ULH types currently used - such as the 345/6 and 77W, but a 332 operation via DUB might well work, availing of the pre-clearance facilities in Dublin. Doing this would give EY an advantage over the likes of QR and EK, which will only operate nonstop. (BOS, interestingly, has quite a strong M/E population, which would benefit from a link to AUH, via DUB.

Of course, such an operation might have a limited shelf life, with the 332s ultimately being replaced by 789s, which would have the range to reach anywhere in the US from AUH.

BrianDromey

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 3):
here are quite a few cities in the US with strong M/E, Pakistani, Indian and other "eastern" ethnic populations. These cities can't be reached efficiently with the ULH types currently used - such as the 345/6 and 77W, but a 332 operation via DUB might well work, availing of the pre-clearance facilities in Dublin. Doing this would give EY an advantage over the likes of QR and EK, which will only operate nonstop.

I don't really get your point here? EK have demonstrated a willingness to serve many routes in North America direct from DXB with the 77W. I think there is a bit too much excitement about this, I can't see EY operating anything like a scissor hub in DUB. In any case EI do not have the available aircraft to operate any additional routes, unless the UA venture is terminated.

ein105

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 4):
Quoting kaitak (Reply 3):here are quite a few cities in the US with strong M/E, Pakistani, Indian and other "eastern" ethnic populations. These cities can't be reached efficiently with the ULH types currently used - such as the 345/6 and 77W, but a 332 operation via DUB might well work, availing of the pre-clearance facilities in Dublin. Doing this would give EY an advantage over the likes of QR and EK, which will only operate nonstop.
I don't really get your point here? EK have demonstrated a willingness to serve many routes in North America direct from DXB with the 77W. I think there is a bit too much excitement about this, I can't see EY operating anything like a scissor hub in DUB. In any case EI do not have the available aircraft to operate any additional routes, unless the UA venture is terminated.

I have to agree, that EY would be reluctant to operate AUH-DUB-USA. They would be adding an additional stop for any India/Middle East Traffic to/from the USA by flying via DUB, and instantly make themselves less competive compared to EK's nonstop DXB-USA routes.

Code-shares on EI's existing routes might provide some additional traffic to EY's DUB-AUH route, and may allow them test the waters with BOS, and any future cities that EI may serve

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 4):
I don't really get your point here?

Maybe I didn't make my point too well; really what I was saying is that although they don't have an aircraft suitable for flying nonstop to (say) DTW - which has a very considerable population of M/E descent, they could reach destinations like this with a smaller capacity type, such as the 332, if they flew via another, intermediate point. There are other examples of cities like this and maybe fifth freedom rights would be a way to do this. CLE is said to have a significant M/E population, as has BOS (although I'd expect to see EY use EI's existing service for this).

EI would benefit in the sense that more routes would be reachable to the US from DUB, thus adding to the attractiveness of DUB as a hub.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the fact that the govt will be considering new fifth freedom rights in the coming weeks, but I think we will be seeing a strengthening r'ship between EI and EY, which could add some new cities Another possibility might be that since UAE carriers cannot get additional rights to Canada (you remember the spat they had last year), EI might do this (it can fly daily) and could add somewhere like YVR, which has a strong population of Indian descent and/or YUL.

Just saying that there is a LOT of potential to be developed here; there could be very exciting times ahead.

EIBusiness

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 6):
Just saying that there is a LOT of potential to be developed here; there could be very exciting times ahead.

Or perhaps not also.

Eagleboy makes some very good points on the previous thread with regard to the compatibility and congruency of the EI and B6 business and operating models. In my own opinion, there is much that EI could still learn from B6 and apply that in a European context - particularly from an efficiency and overall customer experience perspective. However, closer relations between both airlines can be developed, without the need for a capital investment in EI on the part of B6.

I'm with Brian's comments as above on this one also. Just like some of the previous rumours regarding DUB etc. there is much hype in the media. Its important to not lose perspective here. Leo Varadkar & Co. make it sound as if they have the upper hand in any negotiations and will hold tight until the ''right price'' is reached. Global equities are now at multi-month highs, thus some stock can be placed in the current market valuation of EI, all else being equal. The bottom line is that the state will dispose of various holdings to generate funds when directed to do so by the EU/IMF.

The pension deficit is a hugely complex issue and again, any notion that it will be solved in the longer term by some complex bond financing arrangement appears almost farcical. While EI are not required, perhaps, by the letter of the law to contribute to the fund - the Board is acutely aware of the downside financial risks that would arise from any resultant industrial action.

Ultimately - the consideration paid for the government's stake in EI will be relatively small, even in the context of global daily M&A activity.

Remember also - should EY for example acquire only the government's stake, then they won't have the appropriate holding to actively control the strategic direction of EI.

A fair amount of hot air circulating presently I reckon - resolving the pension deficit will be the first in a series of steps towards disposal of the government's stake.

EIBusiness
Vivo Per Lei...

BrianDromey

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 6):
Maybe I didn't make my point too well; really what I was saying is that although they don't have an aircraft suitable for flying nonstop to (say) DTW

The issue with this is that most cities in America are reachable from DXB or UAH with the 77W or 77L, sure there is a small payload hit, but it's not huge. Off the top of my head EK serves LAX, SFO, IAH, DFW, SEA, JFK, YYZ (they are limited by bi-laterals), GIG and GRU all non-stop from DXB. If EY want to compete, they need to do so with non-stop flights. DUB it is just a spoke, it is highly unlikely to ever be anything else, with just one exception. A number of countries have limited bi-laterals with the UAE (Canada comes to mind), EI might be a useful tool to gain extra access to these types of markets, especially where EY and EK are in a dogfight for bilateral rights.

nu

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:30 am

Had my quarterly EI experience on Monday when London was hit with fog.  Went to Dub early 11am to see if I could get on an earlier scheduled flight as I had a LHR connection.  Approached the nice lady, gave my PNR and ask about the delays.  "What delays?"....,, "the fog delays in London"...,,"there are no delays"...,,"I think there are, so was wondering if I could get on an earlier flight"....;"oh I see delays but no, it's not possible to change flights".

She proceeded to print my boarding pass and it was then the big smile crept over her face as she told me I was overweight and would have to pay more.  As I explained I had paid she couldn't find it and all but accused me of lying.  When I started searching for the receipt she looked again and hey presto she grudgingly accepted I had already paid.

Then the final piece of customer service - I asked could she interlink my bag through to the B A connecting flight.  "that is not possible"..,,"yes it is possible as EI has an interline agreement with BA"...,,,"I cannot do that as the flights must be on the same ticket"....."you can do it as BA always do the reverse for me"..."sorry sir just not possible"

The coup de grace was held back until the flight - "certainly sir would you like ice for your white wine as it's not cold".  Ice with white wine sums it up really but the chicken sandwich was as good as ever.
Aer Maighdean abu

shamrock350

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:57 am

Aer Arann extends Aer Lingus franchise deal

Quote:
Aer Arann is extending its franchise relationship with Aer Lingus, which will see all of Aer Arann's services between Ireland and the UK, France and the Isle of Man operate under the Aer Lingus regional brand from March 25.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0314/aerarann-business.html

A little bit earlier than rumoured, starts at the end of this month for the summer schedule instead of October for the winter.

AmricanShamrok

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:06 am

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 10):
Aer Arann extends Aer Lingus franchise deal

Great news to see this finally announced. So much for RE denying this only last week. I have a booking made under RE for May (KIR-DUB-ORD onwards with EI) so I might see if I can get it all under one EI booking reference.

Interestingly, the RE check-in desks at DUB Terminal 1 will be rebranded as Aer Lingus Regional so there will continue to be seperate terminals for EI and Aer Lingus Regional: http://www.aerarann.com/travel_information/faq.htm.

The Isle of Man-London (City) route will remain operated as Aer Arann according to the Irish Times.

[Edited 2012-03-14 04:17:57]

Eagleboy

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:34 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 11):
The Isle of Man-London (City) route will remain operated as Aer Arann according to the Irish Times.

Seems quite that Aer Arann are all set up to operate a single route under their own brand.

Clydenairways

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:02 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 12):
Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 11):

Seems quite that Aer Arann are all set up to operate a single route under their own brand.

I think the Isle of man govt subsidises that route so maybe that's the reason it has to stay out of the mix.

OA260

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Glad Aer Lingus has done the right thing and applogised . It certainly was not acceptable .

Aer Lingus stops making holders of suspicious Greek passports take language tests

DUBLIN — An Irish airline apologized Tuesday for forcing a Greek woman living in Ireland to complete a language test in her native tongue to demonstrate that her passport and nationality were genuine.

Aer Lingus announced in response to Associated Press questions it would suspend the year-old language tests — employed at its check-in desks in Spain and in Portugal to try to identify people traveling on fake passports — with immediate effect. Until Tuesday, those traveling on Greek passports but unable to show fluency in Greek could be refused permission to board.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...s/2012/03/13/gIQAV5kn9R_story.html

If Aer Lingus has an issue with a passport they are free to contact the Greek Embassy/Authorities for clarification or face the penalty of refusing the EU Citizen the right of passage.

----

RTE Radio news broadcast and interview with the passenger concerned :

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0312/media-3224932.html

[Edited 2012-03-14 05:46:25]

tonystan

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Quoting nu (Reply 9):
Then the final piece of customer service - I asked could she interlink my bag through to the B A connecting flight. "that is not possible"..,,"yes it is possible as EI has an interline agreement with BA"...,,,"I cannot do that as the flights must be on the same ticket"....."you can do it as BA always do the reverse for me"..."sorry sir just not possible"

If you were travelling on 2 seperate tickets then she was absolutely correct in not through checking your luggage! BA may do it but they are not supposed to either nor are they obliged to. Its not about "good customer service", its about liability and as the airline with lower profit margins I do not blame EI for being strict with this. My suggestion is to book a single ticket and pay the little extra if that is what its about!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

ein105

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Quoting nu (Reply 9):
Had my quarterly EI experience on Monday when London was hit with fog. Went to Dub early 11am to see if I could get on an earlier scheduled flight as I had a LHR connection. Approached the nice lady, gave my PNR and ask about the delays. "What delays?"....,, "the fog delays in London"...,,"there are no delays"...,,"I think there are, so was wondering if I could get on an earlier flight"....;"oh I see delays but no, it's not possible to change flights".

Ive flown to LHR plenty of times, and if there is delays/disruption they nearly always move passengers onto earlier flights to stop people missing connections etc.

Quoting nu (Reply 9):
The coup de grace was held back until the flight - "certainly sir would you like ice for your white wine as it's not cold". Ice with white wine sums it up really but the chicken sandwich was as good as ever.

Well, at least you were offered ice? Wine served onboard an aircraft is hardly anything special, so I doubt a cube or two of ice would spoil it

ein105

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm

With all but one of RE's route's becoming EI Regional, I wondered where passengers are to check-in. RE's website says,

''9. Where do I check in?
From March 25th customers should check in for Aer Lingus Regional flights, operated by Aer Arann at Aer Lingus check in desks. (Passengers departing from Dublin should use the Aer Lingus check in desks located in Terminal 1). Passengers may also check-in online (where available) or at Aer Lingus self-service check-in kiosks (where available). You will require your new Aer Lingus booking reference to check-in''

But how does a passenger know where to check-in, if they book Dublin-Isle of Man on aerlingus.com, surely they arent going to think ''I check-in in T1 rather than T2, where most EI flights check-in'.

I'd be surprised if all EI Regional check-in doesnt move to T2 after the summer schedule, as there is no benefit paying Sky Handling to check-in passengers, when EI's own staff can do it

oneworld77

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Re last comment on checkin. BA do it all the time with their split ops at LHR. You become used to thinking far east/oz = T3, although thinking eastern Europe = t3 takes a little getting used to. I would say the booking process will highlight the differences and should the worst come to the worst there's always the 'long march' to freedom from T2 to T1 airside.
Flown - EI;BA;RE;FR;WW;TW;TS;US;JP;JT;AT;QF;JQ;VB;NC;TR;D7;AA;IB;AF;SN;LX;SR;LH;AY;CX;CP;9K;9W;IX;AI;IC;EK;EY;GF;QR;BE;N

styles9002

Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 15):
If you were travelling on 2 seperate tickets then she was absolutely correct in not through checking your luggage! BA may do it but they are not supposed to either nor are they obliged to. Its not about "good customer service", its about liability and as the airline with lower profit margins I do not blame EI for being strict with this. My suggestion is to book a single ticket and pay the little extra if that is what its about!

Disagree entirely. How does this attitude fit into the 'Great Fare, Great Care' campaign? The process of refusing to interline on separate tickets is almost entirely a cost-cutting measure and has very little, if anything to do with 'liability'. Additionally, it is probably out of place at the 'mid-service' level Aer Lingus is striving to fill at present.

The bag can be tagged to the final destination and the agent could have the passenger sign off on limited liability release if there is a genuine concern over some potential liability for delayed or lost luggage. It happens frequently with most all IATA carriers and 97% of the time there are zero problems. I don't deny that there isn't any obligation to do this but if we are talking about offering 'great care' or a something extra to differentiate Aer Lingus from Ryanair then it can easily be done with a minimum of fuss. I am sure that EI is already transferring a cart load of bags to BA at T5 in LHR so one it what more in the cart?

For me, is similar to when a firm (not just an airline) refuses to do something for the old stand-by of 'health & safety' reasons when it just doesn't what to bother its arse to do it.. You can pretty much decline to do anything for that nebulous reason and most people will give up and walk away.
It is what it is.

bennett123

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 am

Reminds me of an incident at work a few years ago.

In the UK, we have a tax exempt savings product called an ISA. There are limits on annual investments.

A customer made a transfer out, (online) then immediately realised that he had made a mistake and reversed it. Result was that all of his allowance was now used up. However he now wanted to use his allowance "for real".

Our systems were set up to prevent overfunding. However, we had an over ride in case of errors. Essentially we remove the restriction temporarilly, receive the additional funds, and then re instatement the restriction. This takes about 10 mins, including adding the incident to a spreadsheet to go to the tax authorities.

The company stance was that this was a customer error, hence the customer had to take it up with the tax authorities directly. Clearly this was technically correct, but dealing with HMRC is not recommended, unless you enjoy pulling your hair out.

After some badgering, my boss agreed for me to do the over ride, result 1 happy customer. Question is, why not do this for any of our customers who make this type of mistake. I doubt that the extra workload would be excessive.

Regrettably, a lot of organisations seem to look for a reason to say "no", rather than a way to say "yes".

Eagleboy

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:26 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 20):
Regrettably, a lot of organisations seem to look for a reason to say "no", rather than a way to say "yes".
Quoting Reply 19):
For me, is similar to when a firm refuses to do something for the old stand-by of 'health & safety' reasons when it just doesn't what to bother its arse to do it..

I see this far too often at work, really gets on my nerves.

nu

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:17 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 15):

That's my point - "they are not SUPPOSED to...". They COULD do it if they wanted to but the "not my job boss" attitude means EI remains mediocre.

Quoting ein105 (Reply 16):

So have I seen LHR moves when delays occur, so what kind of management was going on that our girl with attitude 1. Did not know there was fog in LHR and 2. Was not trying to bump passengers forward and 3. When she did become aware not give a toss?

As for ice in wine, it is the same with beer. What sort of airline offers lukewarm beer and wine? As I understand your EI apology it is that "it's bad wine so what the hell". Same with Heineken?

Unbelieveable acceptance of bad service.
Aer Maighdean abu

tonystan

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 am

Quoting nu (Reply 22):

That's my point - "they are not SUPPOSED to...". They COULD do it if they wanted to but the "not my job boss" attitude means EI remains mediocre.

Well actually the check in agents are not able to place the connection into the system anymore like they used to. The code has been restricted from them so that they dont do it and why??? Well its because people are failing to pay for the service of interlining by purchasing 2 seperate tickets! They are tryng to get something for nothing so you cant fault them on that!

As for the offer of ice with your white wine....my goodness we do this on BA all the time and when I flew for Qatar the 5 star aitline we did it there too!

AmricanShamrok

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:42 am

Aer Arann routes are now bookable on aerlingus.com and have been issued with EI-flight numbers. A few things I can't get my head around:

1. Fares on KIR-DUB have shot up for all dates from the mostly flat return fare of €69.99 with aerarann.com to €131.99 with aerlingus.com.

2. Taxes and charges on aerarann.com were listed on KIR-DUB as €13 and DUB-KIR as €3. Why has EI inflated this to €37 each way? It seems EI is adding on "taxes" of its own?

3. On the flight details section it lists flights as arriving/departing at DUB Terminal 2?

OA260

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 24):
3. On the flight details section it lists flights as arriving/departing at DUB Terminal 2?

Yep they are showing as departing from T2 so I guess that answers the speculation.

----

Value of the State's stake in Aer Lingus is clear to see

Transport Minister Leo Varadkar was quick to dismiss Aer Lingus-inspired leaks earlier this week that the Government's 25pc stake in the airline will be sold to the US carrier JetBlue. What a shame.

The good doctor then had further bad news for anybody who still hopes that the Government is serious about the privatisation process, which has been inspired by the troika rather than any government ideology.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...ingus-is-clear-to-see-3051148.html

AmricanShamrok

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 24):
Fares on KIR-DUB have shot up for all dates from the mostly flat return fare of €69.99 with aerarann.com to €131.99 with aerlingus.com.

Say no more, they've corrected it back to the old pricing. Although they are quoting the fare at €0.00 and taxes at €66.99 return!

cc2314

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Any interesting charter operators poping in and out of DUB this summer season?
Deleted

nu

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 23):

Tony it's usually 400 euro extra to add the EI portion to an itinerary, hardly worth it for the interline and baggage allowance. Interesting to note the functionality has been disabled on the EI side but the point I made was that BA can and do do it and now you confirm that EI does not do it and even gives a little but of attitude when informing of such!

BA giving ice with white wine (or beer)? Any other airline routinely giving ice with beer or wine? Sorry but does not happen. It absolutely does not happen with BA.

So we have "it's not good wine anyway" and now "sure they all do it" excuses. Any others?
Aer Maighdean abu

nu

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Oh and EK changing to a proper business class on 1 July. Presumably a 777
Aer Maighdean abu

ein105

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Quoting nu (Reply 28):
BA giving ice with white wine (or beer)? Any other airline routinely giving ice with beer or wine? Sorry but does not happen. It absolutely does not happen with BA.

So we have "it's not good wine anyway" and now "sure they all do it" excuses. Any others?

I was offered ice with wine on my last BA and CO flights.

Quoting nu (Reply 22):
So have I seen LHR moves when delays occur, so what kind of management was going on that our girl with attitude 1. Did not know there was fog in LHR and 2. Was not trying to bump passengers forward and 3. When she did become aware not give a toss?

I think this shows that Incosistency seems to be a big problem across EI. One person will be happy to help, somebody else follows procedures to the letter.

With the introduction of the 'Great Care Great Fare' slogan, and EI's push to become a hybrid carrier, perhaps they should invest in some additional training for their staff. Some staff provide great service, whilst some staff think that EI are a green Ryanair.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):
Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 24):3. On the flight details section it lists flights as arriving/departing at DUB Terminal 2?
Yep they are showing as departing from T2 so I guess that answers the speculation

KInd of confusing, when the RE site says to check-in in Terminal 1?

tonystan

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting nu (Reply 28):
OH it does...BELIEVE ME! Mainly upon request but also offered if its known that the wines are not chilled enough, generally return sectors where the bars are not round tripped and the bars which are not kept in chiller units have been left onboard for over 12 hours. If anyone can confirm this its moi!

[Edited 2012-03-15 14:16:05]

OA260

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:32 am

Quoting ein105 (Reply 30):
KInd of confusing, when the RE site says to check-in in Terminal 1?

Well for anyone booking now it will be Via Aerlingus.com and the customer will be told its T2 and also they get emailed a confirmation at time of booking , Then some days before travel another email which states the Terminal so there shouldnt be any confusion.

Cipango

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:03 am

Quoting nu (Reply 29):
Oh and EK changing to a proper business class on 1 July. Presumably a 777

Yes, from 1st July its changing to a 77W.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

shamrock604

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting nu (Reply 9):

I completely agree, that was absolutely crap service. Especially smiling over a possible overweight luggage charge. People like that should not work in customer service.

Thankfully, i've not experienced it with EI myself - except for the drinks, which are indeed lukewarm.

OA260

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:06 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 34):
I completely agree, that was absolutely crap service. Especially smiling over a possible overweight luggage charge. People like that should not work in customer service.

Thankfully, i've not experienced it with EI myself - except for the drinks, which are indeed lukewarm.

Indeed. If an agent at check in is getting joy out of charging excess baggage then they clearly are in the wrong job. Sadly quite a few have ended up in check in/cabin crew that clearly are there for the wrong reasons. Thankfully I rarely meet them or encounter them.

As for ice with white wine , not for me thanks , Id be embarrassed to serve it but I guess people have different standards than others  

tonystan

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 35):
As for ice with white wine , not for me thanks , Id be embarrassed to serve it but I guess people have different standards than others

Why would you be "embarrassed" to serve something that a customer asked for? And yes, 9 times out of 10 it is the customer who asks for it. A lot of people ask for ice in their white wine, from First Class customers to traveller customers. From privately educated individuals like myself (I personally would not put ice in my wine, id chose a different drink instead or go for a red) to the once off traveller. Its all about a matter of taste and no one should be judged for it! I personally like to give the customer a choice based on the fact that yes I personally feel the wine is at the wrong temperature instead of just plopping it down in front of them without warning. Its called good customer service!

Heck I can even name (not that I would) a senior member of the royal family who takes sweetener in their G&T!

[Edited 2012-03-16 08:44:17]

bennett123

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 pm

I think that the whole point is that white wine should be kept chilled.

Not allowed to get to room temperature and then plonk ice into it.

Rufusisgod

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Most aircraft dont have fridges so just nicely say no and be thankful that the crew member asked you as they're are obviously trying to make sure you enjoy your drink.

OA260

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 37):

Got it in one glad im not the only one that gets the point . The issue was being given ice due to the wine being warm not that someone requests ice. Plenty of carriers who I fly with offer chilled white wine.

Cipango

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:52 pm

I used to work in a very fancy hotel a few years back, and I was sometimes asked for ice for the white wine.

People like it a certain way, and thats their preference. Its not too much to do with the standard of service. If an aircraft doesn't have a refrigerator and a pax likes their white wine cold, well then if they don't mind themselves adding an ice cube or two to their glass then I don't see any issue.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Eagleboy

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:41 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 36):
Heck I can even name (not that I would) a senior member of the royal family who takes sweetener in their G&T!

Now the world really is going down the toilet!!!

As for personal taste I was once asked for red wine with ice by a customer many years ago in the pub I worked in. Yeurgh!!

I think this whole wine/ice side-trek is related to the cost cutting we see in airlines.
Shall we install/use chillers or will we load all the wine in together regardless of 'correct' storage methods?

Eagleboy

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:11 am

Oh yeah I forgot.........

........Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh!!

That is a nicely composed shot below.
I see Airbus have some EI photos on their facebook page for St.Patricks Day

[Edited 2012-03-17 05:09:07]

OA260

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:15 am

Lá Fhéile Pádraig gach duine!

A nice day for the parades  

OA260

Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:21 am

We dont see many Air France reports Ex DUB so here is my recent experience with the CityJet/AF duo :

Air France Have You Really Improved? DUB-CDG-ATH. (by OA260 Mar 17 2012 in Trip Reports)

I was surprised that so little amount of connecting traffic ex DUB . Is this normal ? Have they lost the huge amount of connecting traffic they used to have from the Irish market?

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/AFATH/file-2017.jpg

eicvd

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 44):
We dont see many Air France reports Ex DUB so here is my recent experience with the CityJet/AF duo

Talking of AF, they seem to be flying an airbus here more often now, was at least 2 A320 flights on Friday, saw an A319 yesterday morning & 1 flight today was due to be an A321.
COYBIB

OA260

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Quoting eicvd (Reply 45):

Hmm interesting either they have great loads or a tech issue with the Avros? Id like to see AF put their E Jets on the DUB CDG route .

shamrock604

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:11 pm

The Airbuses on CDG were probably just due to extra St Patricks day demand. It happens occasionally.

[Edited 2012-03-18 14:23:49]

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 am

I don't know whether it's related to the AF A320/321 visits (I suspect not), but there are war drums banging at Cityjet, after the airline refused to recognise unions (which it has done in other countries):

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=2921137

Seems to be a pretty shortsighted approach on the airline's part. It also looks like the airline is preparing to impose redundancies and pay cuts.

Interesting article in the IT today, about Shannon and its position as a "last chance saloon" for transatlantic flights:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...tures/2012/0319/1224313525410.html

OA260

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 48):
I don't know whether it's related to the AF A320/321 visits (I suspect not), but there are war drums banging at Cityjet, after the airline refused to recognise unions (which it has done in other countries):

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews...21137

Seems a bit shoddy of CityJet to discriminate against Irish staff as they think they can get away with it in Ireland but obviously not in the UK and France. A Lot of employers are using this economic crisis to crush the unions and push through things that would never have been allowed before. It also seems that the Irish government is turning a blind eye to certain issues also . I'm not a huge fan of Unions but I am in support of sensible Union practices where they genuinely seek fair conditions for their members without striking.

---

Aer Lingus advertising their ORK Summer routes :

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos