EIBoston

RE: Irish 5/12: ILS Established, Gear Down, Flap 30

Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Actually not it seems that the 134 will run tonight after all. EI are going to charter a plane and fly folks back tnight to SNN and pick up the 135 passengers in the morning and fly back to BOS. The 135 folks are being being put up in a hotel.

Cabincrewifly

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Got the news i've been waiting for...new job at Cork Airport starting next month!
EI FR RE EIR IWD MA FUA

OA260

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:52 am

Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary said he has been approached by companies interested in buying the State’s 25% share in Aer Lingus.
He said he believes Ryanair might end up purchasing the State’s holding.

The low-cost airline has a 29.8% stake in the national airline but was refused permission to take it over in 2007 because it would have given it a near monopoly on flights out of the country.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/busines...ingus-stake-to-ryanair-188911.html

---
Passengers stranded as aircraft used for other flight

NEARLY 200 passengers who were due to fly to Boston yesterday were left stranded in Co Clare overnight because their aircraft was needed to take other passengers from Dublin to the same destination.

Aer Lingus flight EI-135 was preparing for boarding ahead of its scheduled 12.40pm departure from Shannon to Boston when the 185 passengers on board were told they would not be travelling because of a technical problem.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...eland/2012/0330/1224314099820.html

dstc47

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:29 am

Quoting Cabincrewifly (Reply 151):
new job at Cork Airport

Well done boyo!

tonymctigue

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:16 am

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 153):
NEARLY 200 passengers who were due to fly to Boston yesterday were left stranded in Co Clare overnight because their aircraft was needed to take other passengers from Dublin to the same destination.

Que local representative for a about Dublin "screwing the whest" rant. It is good to hear though that 185 passengers were booked on the SNN-BOS flight. In fairness though, I'd be pretty pissed off regardless of airline or route served if I had already boarded my aircraft only to be turfed off again and told a very economical version of the truth. I have no doubt there was a technical problem with an aircraft, just not the one those passengers were sitting on. I presume that the aircraft was flown empty to DUB to operate the DUB-BOS service? Seems a bit odd. Was there by any chance someone of particular importance due to fly DUB-BOS yesterday that would prompt EI to make such a rash move? I'm glad to hear though that there were 185 due to fly SNN-BOS. Not a bad load considering the route has only just resumed for the summer season.

[Edited 2012-03-30 01:20:00]
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

gulfstream

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:27 am

It would appear that yesterday was a challenging day for Are Lingus operations. SNN-BOS rotation cancelled due to lack of aircraft.
Todays BOS-SNN flight is now listed as EI-2134 and will take the passengers that were due to fly yesterday on EI-134.

Anyone have the details as to the unavailability of aircraft yesterday beyond the Irish Times article.

Is todays EI-2134 being operated with Are Lingus aircraft or have they had to charter in an aircraft.

Appreciate any information.

bx737

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:27 am

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 154):

I would say there was an analysis of the cost implications. Lets assume the figures are somewhat correct (350 in an A330??) It would cost more to accommodate 300+ in Dublin and Boston rather than 185 in Shannon and Boston. Cost curtailment is king nowadays unfortunately.

tonymctigue

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:10 am

Quoting bx737 (Reply 156):
I would say there was an analysis of the cost implications. Lets assume the figures are somewhat correct (350 in an A330??) It would cost more to accommodate 300+ in Dublin and Boston rather than 185 in Shannon and Boston. Cost curtailment is king nowadays unfortunately.

Still seems like a very strange decision to me. Given the passengers were ready to board, baggage was presumably already loaded and that EI tend to use the A330-200 on the SNN routes, which can only take accomodate 247 passengers between economy and business to bring 350 DUB passengers, meaning that there were going to be passengers left in DUB anyway whom would have been more readily accomodated on alternative flights given the higher frequencies on DUB-BOS, it would have made more sense to load the SNN passengers, fly to DUB, take what passengers they could and rebook the remaining DUB passengers? Not to mention the bad press that this has caused. Just my (uninformed) opinion is all.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

ein105

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:08 am

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 157):
Still seems like a very strange decision to me. Given the passengers were ready to board, baggage was presumably already loaded and that EI tend to use the A330-200 on the SNN routes, which can only take accomodate 247

Its 24/243 or 24/248, so 267 or 272

Quoting bx737 (Reply 156):

Definately. If a T/A flight has to be cancelled, its better to cancel the one thats not as busy, or the one that will be easier to accomodate.

There could have been a full or high load in the Business Cabin versus a small Business load ex SNN? If you make a dummy booking for DUB-BOS, there is only Business seats for sale tomorrow, and Sunday only has a few expensive seats left, indicating that DUB-BOS may have been full or close to full, which is why they chose to cnacel the SNN flight instead. Either way, there was some sort of financial reason for the SNN flight being cancelled as opposed to the DUB flight.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 152):
Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary said he has been approached by companies interested in buying the State’s 25% share in Aer Lingus.He said he believes Ryanair might end up purchasing the State’s holding. The low-cost airline has a 29.8% stake in the national airline but was refused permission to take it over in 2007 because it would have given it a near monopoly on flights out of the country.

Its hard to believe anything he says regarding FR's stake in EI, as only recently he said that he wasnt interested in the Goverments stake, and that he was willing to sell FR's stake?

[Edited 2012-03-30 04:14:23]

Eagleboy

Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:14 am

Quoting Cabincrewifly (Reply 151):
Got the news i've been waiting for...new job at Cork Airport starting next month!

Fair play to you, well done. Just in time for a busy Summer season!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 152):
Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary said he has been approached by companies interested in buying the State’s 25% share in Aer Lingus. He said he believes Ryanair might end up purchasing the State’s holding.

I like this quote in the article-
....He said Ryanair had been approached by about three different airlines and consortia interesting in buying the Government’s stake. "All want to break up Aer Lingus because they want the Heathrow slots or and the trans Atlantic — the good bits — and don’t want the bits that lose money — the flights to the UK and Europe, which lose money because they cannot compete with Ryanair" he said....

While I do not disagree with his assessment on the possibility of a break up, having read the full year results for 2011 I fail to see how the Euro/UK flights are losing money? I wonder what airlines would be talking to FR about buying EI. Seems an odd fit with the MoL/FR refusal to deal civilly with any other airlines.

BrianDromey

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Looks like BA will be back on Irish soil, flying to LHR for the first time in over a decade, with the approval of the BD takeover. Amazing the concessions BA had to make at LHR just got get 50 slots and just over 50% of the market. If MOL thinks the EU would ever allow EI to be purchased by FR he can go whistle.

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 159):
I like this quote in the article-
....He said Ryanair had been approached by about three different airlines and consortia interesting in buying the Government’s stake. "All want to break up Aer Lingus because they want the Heathrow slots or and the trans Atlantic — the good bits — and don’t want the bits that lose money — the flights to the UK and Europe, which lose money because they cannot compete with Ryanair" he said....

Not sure how much I believe of this, if any.
1) The EU commission will not now, or in any conceivable situation, allow FR to take over EI. We know it, MOL knows it, the EU knows it and most of all any potential buyers know it. He is just trying to jack up the price.
2) Long haul is, frankly, a complete dog without the short haul feed, the Irish market is too small, giving limited growth capabilities for any investor.
3) LHR Slots are neither as scarce, nor as expensive, as they used to be. Anyone looking for a few slots should contact BA. They have a few they would be interested in leasing on a temporary basis.
4) EU and UK flights have been the back bone of EI for the past number of years. All the company documents suggest that short haul is the bread and butter and is modestly profitable. Is MOL suggesting that EI directors are misleading the stock exchange?
5) EI are growing at DUB, FR are shrinking. EI have now regained the title of largest airline at DUB. Of course that does not mean much for the financials, but EI have shrunk DUB a lot less than FR have and remain profitable.
MOL strikes me as increasingly desperate. It would seem like he wants out of EI, not that he would ever admit that. I think what he is trying to say is that FR would sell their EI stake, at the right price. Just not in so many words.

OA260

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 160):

Was there an announcement about BA flying into DUB then confirmed?

EI320

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 161):
Was there an announcement about BA flying into DUB then confirmed?

I don't believe there has been. WW specifically mentioned Belfast/Heathrow, nothing was said about DUB. DUB/LHR will probably continue into 2013 but I suspect BA will be looking to use those slots for long-haul services in the medium term.

Having EI as the sole operator on Ireland's biggest route is not a situation that anyone, other than EI themselves, would relish.

OA260

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:09 pm

Just had an email from BMI :

"Dear Philip

We’d like to advise you that the EU Competition Authority has today approved the sale of bmi to IAG. We are very aware that Diamond Club members want to know what will happen to their accounts when bmi is acquired by British Airways.

The deal between bmi and British Airways is due to be completed around 20 April 2012. We would like to reassure you that we plan to operate our summer schedule as normal and you can continue to earn and redeem Diamond Club miles during this period.

We are working together to announce a Diamond Club partnership with British Airways. This will include the ability to earn and redeem Diamond Club destinations miles across the bmi and BA networks.

We will be communicating regularly with you as more information becomes available and flybmi.com will also be updated with the latest information"

shamrock604

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Quoting EI320 (Reply 162):

Belfast was probably announced specifically because it's a domestic route that BA previously abandoned and as such its good PR to say they are returning to NI.

I dont think too much can be read into the implications for service to DUB.

That said, there is an urgent need for more competition to London. An effective EI/FR duopoly is not in the consumer interest.

Just wondering if a certain other Irish carrier, that just opened a base in Edinburgh, might be interested in operating the EDI/ABZ - Heathrow slots that BA are giving up?

OA260

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Quoting EI320 (Reply 162):
WW specifically mentioned Belfast/Heathrow,

Amazing how times changed. I lived in Belfast and used to take the ''Shuttle'' all the time . BA/BD were operating out of BFS in those days. BA did everything to get off that route and blamed loss making reasons despite back then a huge backlash from the Unionists! Will be great to see BA back in BHD if they do indeed manage that. BD has dedicated facilities at BHD , air bridge with direct boarding from the BMI Lounge.

BrianDromey

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 161):

Not specifically mentioned, but I would imagine there will be at least a few weeks/months of BA metal into DUB! Even if not on a permanent basis.

EISHN

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:23 am

Is the BA codeshare with EI likely to be affected by this?

I've often wondered why EI didn't try and work out some deal with BA to codeshare on all routes out of BFS. They codeshare on all UK-ROI services (not sure if LGW flights count). Could have been a possible way to boost numbers in BFS.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:28 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 167):
I've often wondered why EI didn't try and work out some deal with BA to codeshare on all routes out of BFS. They codeshare on all UK-ROI services (not sure if LGW flights count). Could have been a possible way to boost numbers in BFS.

You mean EI flight numbers on all BA flights ? Because the vv already exists ex BFS-LHR with BA flights numbers and also on the DUB-LGW route.

AmricanShamrok

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 pm

The 787 is due into Shannon at 07:00 tomorrow from Santiago, Chile and will depart on Monday at 09:00 for Baku, Azerbaijan.

Aer Lingus must still have been having technical issues with the A330 fleet yesterday as the EI111 (SNN-JFK) was cancelled. The return (EI110) operated normally.

EIBoston

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 169):
Aer Lingus must still have been having technical issues with the A330 fleet yesterday as the EI111 (SNN-JFK) was cancelled. The return (EI110) operated normally

They operated the 110 with a 767 and then it returned to JFK this morning as EI3111.

Eagleboy

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:05 am

Have read a few of the articles on EI over the last few days:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...nance/2012/0331/1224314162774.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...12/0330/1224314097191.html?via=rel

I was told by the missus that she heard a radio interview where apparently the Chinese Govt have asked the Irish Govt to incentivise EI to start a route to China, an EI spokesperson gave lack of available aircraft as an excuse. She got the impression form the interview that the Chinese had offered some level of assistance in procuring an aircraft for the route.

Has anyone else heard this interview? Having read previously that companies had offered EI block booked seats on a renewed West Coast service (which hasn't happened) and now possibly an offer from China are EI being overly cautious when these chances could be snatched quite quickly by other carriers. Just look at IAD-DUB by UA starting soon......

shamrock604

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:50 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 171):
I was told by the missus that she heard a radio interview where apparently the Chinese Govt have asked the Irish Govt to incentivise EI to start a route to China, an EI spokesperson gave lack of available aircraft as an excuse. She got the impression form the interview that the Chinese had offered some level of assistance in procuring an aircraft for the route.

It would be surprising to say the least - If the Chinese want a route to Ireland, they have quite enough airlines there with the right equipment to do it. I'd also doubt EI would need much assistance in procuring an extra 330 if it so desired.

That is unless of course the Chinese believe the route would be a dog, and they'd prefer the foreign partner to take the hit.....  
Having read previously that companies had offered EI block booked seats on a renewed West Coast service (which hasn't happened)
CM mentioned recently that EI could now start to look at Long haul growth again given the stabilisation in that part of the business. One would expect it could happen next year, but the fuel price environment is probably a worry.

are EI being overly cautious when these chances could be snatched quite quickly by other carriers. Just look at IAD-DUB by UA starting soon......

Yes, I expect they are being cautious, but I dont think a return to IAD was ever on the cards given statements they made about "lack of demand" from the IAD area.

Oh, and finally.... Has the EI/ China thing anything to do with today's date.... APR 1st?  Wink

[Edited 2012-03-31 17:57:35]

dstc47

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:40 am

An interesting article which notes the failure of Ireland to generate repeat business from tourist visitors, Not convinced of the remedy proposed however, but there is something about the one time nature of many visitors here that needs attention. Of course a repeat visit to Cumbria is much easier for UK visitors and of course no Air Passenger Duty either.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...ists-from-coming-back-3067691.html

OA260

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:12 am

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 173):
An interesting article which notes the failure of Ireland to generate repeat business from tourist visitors, Not convinced of the remedy proposed however,

There needs to be a total shake up in Irish Tourism , they relied on Leprechauns and the love of everything Irish for decades and now the love affair has ended. Ireland is viewed by many as expensive and not value for money. I hear it all the time from various people in different countries. Hotels have slashed their prices but the rooms are not filling up . Who would have thought that you could get a 4-5 star hotel in Dublin City for EUR50-80 a night a few years back.

Look at what Northern Ireland are doing and their ability to attract people to a small part of the UK . They are busting their asses to get the tourism in .

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/

----

Aer Lingus chief paid €1.2m last year

AER LINGUS chief executive Christoph Mueller’s remuneration rose by 9.9 per cent to €1.244 million in 2011, according to the airline’s annual report.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...nance/2012/0331/1224314162774.html

Is this a fair remuneration ?

BrianDromey

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:50 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 174):
Is this a fair remuneration ?

I don't think "fair" or "unfair" really come into it. Mr Muller's contract clearly has performance targets for the company. If the company meets them, he gets a bonus, if not he gets a smaller bonus, or no bonus. One would hope that the bonus is based on a number of parameters. When I worked in retail we got a bonus for exceeding sales targets AND KPI's. The further over the target, the more we got. If this was sustained for the quarter, we got an additional bonus. It's "fair" in the that encourages performance, but "unfair" in that not everyone in the company got it. Thats life, I generally find it is those who sit back and let others carry them moan most loudly about an changes or the "unfairness" of it all.

Eagleboy

Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:54 pm

I agree that the remuneration of CM seems over the top. His salary is E475K but his bonus is 'capped' at 150% of his salary. This level of bonus seems to be to be excessive. I have no problem with senior execs in any company getting performance related bonuses, however a problem in the Celtic Tiger years was the size of and the almost guaranteed nature of such 'bonuses'. Now saying that, the performance of the company under his rein is stellar compared to the previous regime (in which the then CEO still got a 'performance bonus', for what no-one seems to know)

EI themselves have noted that the full E97M Greenfield savings have yet to be achieved, so the plan is ongoing but senior execs are getting their bonus. Was the bonus related to share price increase or delivering a profitable full year results?
It also trickles down in the organisation. CEO get 128.5% bonus, CFO gets 110% bonus, senior execs get either 100% or 75%, senior mgmt get 30-40% depending on category. How many senior staff are getting these bonuses, 40? 50? 100? Have they actually delivered more than their salaried role expects of them. In my view you are hired to do a job, you get your salary for doing this role. A bonus should be just that, not an incentive to do your job.
And considering the big noise made by EI about giving E6.25M to all staff I wonder how much the exec/mgmt bonuses cost the company?

shamrock604

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:48 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 176):

Have to agree with you. To need to pay some a bonus greater then the already massive salary to get them to do their job to a good standard is insane, especially when that one bonus equates to 1% of an entire cost cutting programme. But sadly, its not confined to Aerlingus.

OA260

Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:34 am

The start of the new Easyjet service between BFS-SEN commences today . Great news for Southend and BFS. The start of EIR flights from DUB will also be good for London bound travellers and a cheaper option than LHR and LGW which have increased so much in recent months.

---
Varadkar reveals tax incentive model for Shannon Airport

Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar yesterday revealed a tax-incentivised aviation model at Shannon Airport as the most likely model the Government is to pursue for the airport.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archive...el-for-shannon-airport-189009.html

---

AmricanShamrok

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:10 pm

The transfer of immigration controls from the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) to the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) has begun at Dublin Airport's Pier B:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0402/dublin-airport-passport.html

tonymctigue

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 178):
Varadkar reveals tax incentive model for Shannon Airport

Sounds as if SNN passenger numbers are still fall. A further 20% drop after three years of horrific traffic figures. Yikes! Interesting too that he aslo cites the possibility of NOC passing SNN out. He certainly talks the talk anyway and his idea seems at the very least, innovative and fresh. Lets hope it works out.

styles9002

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Any idea what that tweet from the CEO of Knock Airport was about? Something about new service to BOS and JFK? Was that just an April Fools's day joke? I can't image any US carrier or EI launching service from NOC after the debacle that was FlyGlobalSpan
It is what it is.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Some nasty weather out there today; just got into DUB on the EI 309 and came in on 34 - for about the first time in at least a decade! Very nice landing, it has to be said; would have been interesting had 28 been in use, but it would probably have been above crosswind limits for many types.

Saw one MA 737, three IT A320s and four Spanair 320s on 11/29 - and there was also a MA 737 near the hangars.

EIBusiness

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 176):
I agree that the remuneration of CM seems over the top.

I was driving home on Sunday from DUB and listened to Mr. Barrington speaking on RTE Radio One about ''individuals feeding at the trough'' in Eircom.... Can we think of a more apt analogy for what is also happening at EI? The basic principle of any private or market based business entity is turn an annual profit for its shareholders. Is it now the case that truly exorbitant remuneration has to be paid to achieve mediocre profitability?

At Aer Lingus - we have dual bonus schemes in operation - both an Annual Performance Bonus Scheme and a Transformational Performance Scheme - a bit ''rich'' - pardon the pun, given that the Greenfield Savings have taken much longer to deliver than initially planned. Any noise about a deferral of payments under the latter until Q4 2012 is only to reduce the risk of malaise regarding what is truly exorbitant remuneration in the case of the CFO - in excess of EUR 1 Million for 2011.

I don't need to discuss earnings management research to underline the relationship between short term exorbitant executive level remuneration and short duration CEO tenure. Perhaps this will also hold true in the case of EI?   - In any case, we will see a further escalation of ''feeding at the trough'' in 2012 - with Christoph Mueller's total remuneration potential being EUR 1.187 Million before any secondary remuneration is considered.

I denote a mediocre performance because: that is what EI's most recent annual performance can be described as. There is far too much convenient emphasis on Profit for the Year for 2011 - simply because Exceptional Items provide a significant uplift. In all prior years, the emphasis has squarely been upon Operating Profit. Considering that core metric (-6.5% Year on Year), it seems outlandish that annual remuneration at executive level has risen, given a clearly declining year on year operating level performance.

Clearly, EI is being ''drained'' where at all possible. Isn't it wonderful that those at the executive and most senior management levels are offsetting their exposure to the downside risk that will arise in the event of a takeover.

Back to the operational level - having travelled far too much than I would like so far this year - I have to praise all flights so far with EI, both Euro and Transatlantic. Most recently, I've had the unfortunate opportunity to experience how Crew handle PAX needing assistance - temporarily wheelchair bound. The care and attention of the (Flight and Cabin) Crew both Outbound and on the Return sectors was outstanding. This is the type of effort that deserves annual reward, but most often goes unnoticed.

On a positive note: There is now a very dedicated individual overseeing product and brand development at Aer Lingus. We can only hope that this will lead to a better focus on customer service improvement and near term - real improvements.

EIBusiness
Vivo Per Lei...

dstc47

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:10 pm

For those who want to read more about Dublin Terminal 2, there is a two page article in the April issue of "Airways" magazine.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 184):
For those who want to read more about Dublin Terminal 2, there is a two page article in the April issue of "Airways" magazine.

Yes, saw that - good article and very positive, something we're not always good at in Ireland - particularly towards ourselves. When you recall stories about the opening of T5, HKG and KUL and the problems they had with new terminals and airports, the achievement of the DAA in getting T2 up and running without any major problems a very good one.

OA260

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:30 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 182):
Some nasty weather out there today; just got into DUB on the EI 309 and came in on 34 - for about the first time in at least a decade! Very nice landing, it has to be said; would have been interesting had 28 been in use, but it would probably have been above crosswind limits for many types.

Yes last week we had forrest fires and this week snow on the mountains and around 8pm we had heavy snow in the Border counties.

OA260

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:38 am

Some news items from the press :

DAA appoints Cussen interim chief executive

The Dublin Airport Authority has appointed deputy chief executive Oliver Cussen as interim chief executive until it appoints a successor to Declan Collier, who left the State-owned company recently to run London City Airport.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...nance/2012/0404/1224314348357.html

---

Airport wants new curbs on noise

Restrictions on the number of seats for sale from George Best Belfast City Airport could be replaced by noise control measures, environment minister Alex Attwood said.

The airport in East Belfast has lodged proposals to replace the passenger cap with one controlling noise.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...ts-new-curbs-on-noise-3064926.html

----

Dawn of a new era as first easyJet flight soars from Southend Airport

The budget airline’s inaugural flights – to Belfast, Barcelona and Amsterdam – passed largely without hitches, although people on the soldout Barcelona route were delayed for 40 minutes because of the knock-on effects of a French air traffic control strike. Later in the day, there were delays of up to two hours on easyJet flights to and from Amsterdam and Belfast.

http://www.southendstandard.co.uk/ne...light_soars_from_Southend_Airport/

---

Abu Dhabi's Etihad Airways sees sales jump

Hogan said there are no merger talks going on with Aer Lingus, the Irish carrier it has been linked to in past media reports, and he offered no commitments about other potential tie-ups.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-04/D9TTFEKG1.htm

---

Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has called on Aer Lingus to pay a dividend to the taxpayer for the first time in decades.

Aer Lingus has not paid a dividend to the Government in over 20 years. The Department of Transport has confirmed the last Aer Lingus dividend received by Government was £500,000 in 1991.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...he-state-189256.html#ixzz1r3ECKJBq

bennett123

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:57 am

Baed on a Pre Tax Profit of 84.4M Euros, that would give them 84.4 x 30% x 25% = 6.3M Euros.

Hard to see how this amount would have any real impact on EI or the Govt.

shamrock604

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:58 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 188):

I guess it is probably just a question of being seen to make a contribution - however small it may be. Many state companies have been asked to do the same, and though EI is privatised, it still has enjoyed support in the past from the tax payer.

OA260

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Emirates new Ad campaign on Dublin bus stops:

shamrock350

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:44 pm

EI-CPG DUB-CTA had a navigation problem today.

http://avherald.com/h?article=44d7d8cd&opt=4097

Diverted to Shannon and continued to Catania with a three hour delay.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 190):
Emirates new Ad campaign on Dublin bus stops:

Nice to see the advertising is still going strong in Dublin, not a huge fan of the 'Hello Tomorrow' campaign though. Is the TV advert airing in Ireland?

shamrock350

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am

Aer Lingus passenger figures up 8.2%

Aer Lingus passenger numbers - including regional operations - increased by 8.2% in March.

Total Aer Lingus mainline flown passenger numbers rose to 736,000, an increase of 6.4% compared to March 2011.

http://www.stockmarketwire.com/artic...enger-figures-up-8-point-2pct.html

Both long haul and short haul numbers up, load factors up as well.

Irishbean

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 am

Has anyone any more details in EI new business seats? I have heard they may change to fully flat? In fact, the current seat can be reconfigured to be fully flat? With all the US carriers soon to have full flat in Ireland, EI could get left behind?

AmricanShamrok

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Does anyone know if EI's A350 order will replace the A330s or just compliment them? Will it eventually be an A350/A321NEO mix on longhaul?

tonystan

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Quoting irishbean (Reply 193):
Has anyone any more details in EI new business seats? I have heard they may change to fully flat? In fact, the current seat can be reconfigured to be fully flat? With all the US carriers soon to have full flat in Ireland, EI could get left behind?

From what I hear its going to be a reconfiguring of them. I also believe it will be done at the same time the company introduce an "enhanced" economy product with more legroom.

Cant see it being announced this side of the summer however.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 194):
Does anyone know if EI's A350 order will replace the A330s or just compliment them? Will it eventually be an A350/A321NEO mix on longhaul?

I think the plan is that they will complement them initially.

I was out at the airport this morning (indeed, until about 2.20pm, waiting until the AMC 738 had left) and it was quite a successful day. When I arrived, there was a fire -or thick black smoke, at any rate, coming from a red/white outhouse to the right of 10; traffic wasn't affected, I wonder if that building was part of the ILS equipment - would be interesting to find out if the localiser was working.

The EK A332 was 'EKU and very well it looked too.

I had one of those "senior" moments, when I'm reminded of my age (and I'm still in the early 40s!); a young lad of about 10 was visiting the airport with his Ma and two brothers; he was asking about 'DVM, the retro A320. I hadn't seen it, but he said that he knew it was coming in from Brussels, because he'd seen it on his Planefinder App! And I was just thinking - "far was I raised from Apps!" How things change!

OA260

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 191):

Yeah I agree its not amazing but quite pleasant. I have seen the ad a few times at home but cant be sure if it was on Irish TV . I mostly watch 80% British then 20% Irish so could have been on either.

shamrock604

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 196):

That fire you mentioned has taken out some airfield lighting and nav equipment.

A NOTAM has been issued to air crews.

ClassicLover

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 195):
From what I hear its going to be a reconfiguring of them. I also believe it will be done at the same time the company introduce an "enhanced" economy product with more legroom

My guess is lie flat Business Class for the entire area between door 1 and door 2.

Premium Economy - probably 4 rows. If it's just leg room, it'll probably remain 2x4x2. If it's a wider seat as well, it may go 2x3x2.

Economy for the rest of the aircraft.

It would be nice if the IFE was enhanced with more options at the same time, I always thought EI didn't really have that much of a selection. That being said, most Irish people I know who don't fly trans-Atlantic tend to be delighted when they're "on the big plane - and we had a TV!" (on a Malaga for example) so I guess the current selection may be okay.

Meanwhile, since BD are now going to be part of IAG, do you think that their flights will remain between Dublin and London Heathrow?

I read in one of the announcements that Lufthansa AND Star Alliance support of BMI will cease on 20 April. So is there a need for British Airways to fly to Dublin? I assume a good part of the BD traffic would have been due to Star Alliance customers, though I could be wrong.

I hope they continue to fly to Dublin - it would be nice to see BA back again - in T2 hopefully!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos